28 year old (legacy from dad) vhs camcorder broke

>28 year old (legacy from dad) vhs camcorder broke
>only option is to buy an untrustworthy used and abused one on craigslist that somebody probably came in because he thinks he's being funny

why doesn't anyone manufacture VHS camcorders for enthusiasts?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Rir74UH-FUw
pcguide.com/ref/crt/sizeNominal-c.html
youtube.com/watch?v=uRZoeel5uy4
youtube.com/watch?v=9KAWbxFz2k4
twitter.com/AnonBabble

honest question

what purpose does owning a VHS camcorder serve in the current year?

it's cozy and fun and it reminds me of my late dad.
I liked the aesthetic before cheap horror producers and gen Y vaporwave memers and such appropriated it as a "funny a e s t h e t i c xD"
I guess it's also has a novelty factor, people are interested because you're the only person who carries a camcorder these days

Fix it faggot.

check goodwill

LGR sees them all the time.

I almost bought a panasonic one with the case and some lenses but it was too big

Try a film camera instead. VHS has no value.

youtube.com/watch?v=Rir74UH-FUw

get an app like this.

if you really want a big bulk thing, then attach your phone to a broken camcorder.

I was going to write "don't even suggest these", but I forgot. It looks fake (because it is), it obviously doesn't have a genuine camcorder "feel", you can't put tapes in it and it's just generally not fun.
Millions of hobby photographers still take Polaroids or shoot and develop on film, I don't get why it's so hard for people to believe that someone would want to record on VHS?
I originally considered asking on /p/ because of that, but I don't know what goes on in there, and videos aren't photography anyway.

same reason nobody manufactures crts, even though there is unarguably a market for them: because people who want them stay quiet and just buys what's remaining

Check thrift stores a few times a week. If you live anywhere near humanity then you probably have a few around you.

I loved my dad's old jvc camcorder. It completely ignored macrovision so I could copy movies from blockbuster. Also jvc was one of like two companies that had s-video out on their devices. Was great for converting my old tapes to digital.

Thanks, I guess I'll just do that, it's a shame working ones probably won't be available in a few decades though, which is what I'm mostly worrying about

>Parents avoid upgrading their VHS camcorder from 2002
>I curse the thing to breakdown every damn holiday season
>It taunts me by living on forever
>They refuse to use the simple HD digital camcorder I bought them
>Mom talks about going to the store to buy blank tapes this year
>Doesn't understand why I laughed
>Too cheap to buy them anyway
>Will be using the second half of an older, nearly worn out tape this year
>Another year of muddy, inaudible talking, static, and a thousand pauses/ cuts

When they pass you will love that camcorder

e-bay

>why doesn't anyone manufacture VHS camcorders for enthusiasts?

because it's extremely fringe

Because analog video can be replicated directly through digital filters with a bit of random noise generation, because all the static bullshit you get in these old techs is effectively literal noise.

>still have family's old 8mm camcorder
>tfw it developed dead pixels on the sensor

>there's a market for CRTs
Yeah not really. If you had to pay new prices for a CRT, no one would buy one.

>If you had to pay new prices for a CRT, no one would buy one.
I would. I've been looking for a decent used on locally for like a decade with no luck, so I'd gladly shell out for a brand new one.

Tape is awesome.

The universe is basically a giant number crunching computer already. If you can use it instead of digital computers to do things, that's like using the greatest computer mankind will ever know instead of some piece of shit device that's really only impressive to us because we're primitive.

Something like tape will be the future. Something much better, that doesn't have all the shitty flaws of digital crap. But probably not for a very long time.

I'd happily pay new prices for a new CRT. I already pay new prices for shittier LCD monitors.

I would consider it, I'm decently happy with a 144hz monitor but the decade between when I had a 120hz CRT and this was pure hell

>new prices for a CRT = new prices for an LCD
yeah no you wouldn't

>why doesn't anyone manufacture VHS camcorders for enthusiasts?
Because you are a small market, so small in fact that you can be classified as non existent.

>weird non-4:3 resolutions

I'd pay $485 for a brand new G400 in a fucking heartbeat. That's really not that much.

>prices decades ago = prices now
yeah no they don't

>Millions of hobby photographers still take Polaroids or shoot and develop on film, I don't get why it's so hard for people to believe that someone would want to record on VHS?

They're called hipsters. They do it for the novelty of something that has passed on from history. People don't use VHS anymore because VHS is shitty, even on SP mode. Professionals that still use tape use Betamax, which is the superior format, but lost out in the tape wars for the same reasons many proprietary Sony formats fail.

>19" 1600x1280 in the year of our lord 2017

>it's so weird
yeah CRTs were like that

You're right, inflation would make them even higher. You're also not factoring in the cost of a premium table that won't bow due to the weight of a small child.

Well, I might splurge and go for the G520 since the G400 would be a downgrade in size from my current display (20" 1600x1200 LCD).

I don't really see the need for anything larger in a computer display.

so no reason really besides you like it.

is right. Learn how to repair it.

with photography, I don't believe you can have a digital camera that has as high a resolution as a photo yet, at least the larger form special cameras, I know there are gigapixel things that can take bigger pictures, but those are few and not nearly as useable as someone who just uses a bigger film stock.

but back on track, with vhs, it was a means to an end, it was a format that came and went because technology left it fucking behind, a good slr is still very useable, but even if you made the highest quality vhs recorder, its still fucking vhs.

What if I told you that even the 20" would be a downgrade in size from your current 20" LCD?

pcguide.com/ref/crt/sizeNominal-c.html

70$ bought me a table with a 3/4 1 1/4 inch thick table top that supported crts like it was nothing.

dont buy the cheapest shit possible and you are good.

pc monitors are stuck in this we get nothing but the shittiest shit possible, and tv's don't make good small displays, they reserve their best efforts to 55+ inches.

I know all about viewable size. The G520 is 19.8" viewable which makes it almost identical to my current LCD. Perfect for use at 1600x1200 since I'm very comfortable with this PPI.

I guess you wouldn't be wrong in calling me a hipster in this aspect but I actually really just enjoy everything about tinkering with a camcorder and tapes, down to the manual rewinding.

Not a long term solution. Spare parts and even "new" used camcorders are all going to deprecate over the next few decades, how many cars from the 80s do you see these days? A few Southerners might have them and they're all rusted to hell, in 30 years you can't own an 80s Japanese sports car, because they don't exist.

I enjoy distortion and noise, I like distorted music like "ear rape" versions of songs and the more noisey subgenres of shoegaze.
youtube.com/watch?v=uRZoeel5uy4 Music like this is very enjoyable to me, 1:15 onward is pure bliss to me. What you don't understand is that I do NOT want everything to look and sound pristine.

and what you have to understand is that is hipster/faggot shit. 'lets record out music on the worst pc stand alone mic we can get, then lets play musical chairs with instruments because it will be more anti music that way'

you have to realize that this isn't far off from you and there is a reason people can only ironicly like analcunt.

>A few Southerners might have them and they're all rusted to hell
I lived in NC for about a decade and it was actually amazing how many decades-old vehicles were around with little to no rust. I'm back in NJ now and I've seen vehicles only a few years old with rust holes. My car from 1993 is usually the oldest in sight anywhere I go, and it's still rust-free since it never left the south until last year.

I think i have the exact thing at home, never really used it but all the shit is there

I gave analcunt a listen and it wasn't bad, I might like it in a different state of mind. Years ago I often used to listen to Passenger of Shit often, I didn't mention it earlier because someone would think I was a troll. These days I'm more into mellow haunting sounds like witch house though, I suppose the video is also topical to this thread, if a little pretentious, but it's an example of something that wouldn't work, even in theory, with a 4k camera.
youtube.com/watch?v=9KAWbxFz2k4

>why does nobody waste money for a niche market without any profit
You realize how dumb you sound?

they could make a kickstarter though, didn't a batch of new SNES get funded or something? some old console anyway