/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Headphone guide: canpicker.com/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cheap-bluetooth-earbuds/
my.mixtape.moe/fuyqwl.ogg
my.mixtape.moe/jqtmoq.mp3
somafm.com/dronezone256.pls
somafm.com/player/#/now-playing/dronezone
audeze.com/products/microphones/planar-magnetic-microphones
amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-T200-Closed-Back-Dynamic-Headphones/dp/B0093GXOCI/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Which of these style of headphones are the best in the ~25 USD price range?
I'm more generally looking for a pair of bluetooth earphones with good battery life; sound quality isn't terribly important.

thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-cheap-bluetooth-earbuds/

Are SHP9500S's the same as SHP9500's?

Yes, they just come with a shorter cable than the SHP9500 did. The S replaced the non-S, if I'm not mistaken.

PSA: HD600 + Schiit Stack is the OFFICIAL Reddit setup

About to have an Onkyo DP-X1. I have DT 990s and I'm wondering if I'm better to recable them for balanced output or, if the gains aren't worth it, upgrade to a set of balanced Oppos or something.

Idol trash here.
I'm tired AF though, so I'm going to sleep. By the way, what's your setup like, user?

What is the second best set of headphones after the HD600?

I hope you sleep well, Idol Trash.

MY HUSBAND IS DEAD

I DON'T WANT TO REMARRY

HD600 + Onboard sound is the true patrician's setup.

650 is the patrician choice, 600 is for people who know nothing better than spamming cherrypicked graphs and screaming 'NOOTRIL' every 30 seconds

We know you're only trying to justify your purchase, it's ok.

Thanks Reddit

I popped the earpads off and cleaned out all of the dead skin, fibers, and strands of hair from my HD650 today. All it took was some scotch tape. It sounds better now!

Clean your headphones, user!

whenever I read patrician I always conjure up an image in my head of a poor villager without power and unable to use an amp. he charges his phone daily using solar or one of those kinetic energy chargers.

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

The HD598 of course, he is just 2 less than the HD600.

AKG 702

What are you listening /hpg/?
my.mixtape.moe/fuyqwl.ogg

my.mixtape.moe/jqtmoq.mp3

Got an urge to listen to some 100% nonsense Engrish for some reason.

>got an urge
>for some reason
nice try

?

I've been listening to a weeb stream all day.

what a pathetic life you lead

I'm not the one getting really mad out of nowhere so all right man.

BTFO!

somafm.com/dronezone256.pls

somafm.com/player/#/now-playing/dronezone

no one is mad we are just fucking with you

HE500 ranges from amazing to so boring I have to just shut off the music.
Friendly reminder to not buy monolith trash. The glare is worse than the ringing.
Friendly reminder that a little acoustic dampening material in front of your beyerdynamic driver will make it sound much better.
love you /hpg/.
fuck a hd600.
dac x6 best value device

That's a lot of bad headphones.

imagine spending this much money on headphones just to have nothing half as good as a $300 hd600
imagine being that dumb

Well I returned the monoprice stuff and it was an interesting experience. If they shit out a m1060 without the glare it'd be a great headphone. Mostly i just use the he500 and gr07.

Is there something worse than this?

ATH-M50

>actually wanting to copy that terrible earpod phase smearing design to avoid an expensive headphone patent

jesus fucking christ never go full retard

I want to sniff it

Grab some audezes senpai

you're welcome, bud

audeze hurt and are terrible headphones to wear for more than 15 minutes

Kind of irrelevant but /pmp/ is gone so i guess i have to ask here, can anyone recommend a DAP or a phone with sound signature similar to mojo?

>audezes hurt
soyboy

my HD 6XX's gonna arrive soon, have you guys got any suggestion for a cheap mic to pair it with ?

if the hd600/650 is the best headphone in the world it must also be the best mic in the world too, there's no way it couldn't be. buy a second one

audeze.com/products/microphones/planar-magnetic-microphones

cheap

owo what's in the box?

hopefully something that triggers people

bad headphones

is that an opinel?

owo what's this?

Yes

owo

Like the knife, not so sure about the eardildo meme machines.

never listened ETY IEMs

can you explain how they sound?
are comfy ?

which pads on the m1060?

Sound like HD600s but not as open as HD600s
Any (good) music will sound accurate with them. If an album has shit mastering, you're going to hear shit

what's a neutral-bright upgrade from the k612

used hd800 for $650

I'm looking for some closed wireless headphones budget is around 250€ any recommendations?

asking for a friend

Decent for the price?
amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-T200-Closed-Back-Dynamic-Headphones/dp/B0093GXOCI/

_ ____ __ ____ ____ _______

Get they Tascam TH-02, they measure and sound better than $1000 headphones.

Opinion on Beyerdynamic DT911?
Landlord just gave me one in absolute mint condition in its original box.
Not at home rn so I can’t test them yet but they feel so comfortable.

Also gave me some old ass 70s JVC headphones, probably shit but they look kinda cool.

LICK HER PENGUIN POOPER

They look pretty decent for the price

Is k612/k702 better than msr7 soundwise?
I love my msr7 but it's just incredibly uncomfortable i ended up using my iem more

anyone know if the fostex HP-A3 (usb powered) will adequately power the AKG K712 (62 Ohms, 105 dB SPL/V)?

anything around $300?

Beyer. I think it improved the sound but with an A to B to the he500 the only thing they did better was sound "bigger". I tried as hard as I could to justify keeping them as someone who really enjoys modifying shit and I couldn't. I even did the fuzzor and tried listening without the rear grills. Nothing reduced the horrible shrieking glare at the upper end of the female vocal range.
Seriously if they fix the glare it would be an easy rec to people who don't want dynamic headphones.
For now I strongly suggest you drop the extra $100 on used he500 or go with the safe bet of hd600.
I love your dap, it's really cool looking. Gotta get my self a cool portable set up like that.
I was thinking about it but I'm looking at the x00 ebony or used hd800 at the moment. I also want an r2r nfb amp/dac with no logical reason for why other than I love the way it looks.

HD600, there's no upgrade past that

Thank you. I sure did! (~9h)

Is the K712 the best for someone that likes bass but also good quality sound? Is there anything better for around $280?

How do I find a decent budget amplifier?

build an o2

uae23+ magni3
HD600 is the one to get, unless you double your budget, and even then you'd just be compromising something to get something else, it wouldn't be overall better.
You're comparing decent open with something closed. Closed doesn't stand a chance. Buy/use closed when the isolation is a must, and only then.
What are you comparing all these phones against? Where's your reference HD600?
HD650 if you like everything softened into mud.

tooru best girl

modi2u + magni3 with HD600s or there is some better combo?

>k712
Basically "beats by AKG". The k702 are a world better.
>Is there anything better for around $280?
Yes, HD600 at $286 wouldn't even wipe its ass with those k712.

uae23. Why would you pay more than that for a DAC?
OK, I know a reason. It looks pretty under the magni and it has spdif. But don't make the same mistake I did, it's dumb.

Fact : HD 650 is a better choice than the trash HD 600

Bait. hd650 is just hd600 + mud for the riffraff that can't handle hearing the flaws in their recordings.

Magni 3 ($99).

garbage amp

I'm very tempted on getting the HD599. I have the 598CS and I really want an open-back headphone. The old 598 open back was disappointing to me but I've been reading that the 599 has improved bass and is less veiled.

Should I? It currently costs 185€ on Amazon, the 579 costs 195€.

Not really interested in HD600 because it has nobass and at least according to canpicker the K712 is superior to K702 because the K702 has slightly recessed bass.
Would the K7xx be superior to the K712?

What do you think the best dedicated amp under $250 is then? I know the magni 3 has nearly the most power in that price range.
Not the guy you replied to.

i want to connect my laptop to my powered monitors and have a good headphone amp

best way to do this? please help me i have so many tabs open

>Should I? It currently costs 185€ on Amazon, the 579 costs 195€.
The 579 is better. FR is near-identical but reviewers who tried both seem to all agree 599 is flawed and 579 is better. Don't be misled by prices, or you'll end up buying beats at $300 that sound worse than $30 chink cans.

>hd600
>best bass extension among open cans at its price bin.
"no bass".
>canpicker
I recommend against relying on that for any actual decisions. At best it'll show you what popular cans are available at a price range.

Not the same character dumbfucks.

On Majorhifi I read

>To be sure, it’s nowhere near as detailed or bright as the high end on the 599, but for the price, this is one rich high end.

I would like that additional detail the 599 can offer.

>If you prefer low lows and high highs, or if you’re a rock or hip hop aficionado, you may want to skip the HD 579 in favor of the more dynamic HD 599.

I don't listen to any rock or hip hop but I do enjoy some bass every now and then.

Anyway, I'm alright with buying something else as long as it's comfy and can deliver some decent bass. There has to be a good compromise between mud beasts like the Meme50x and the nobass hd598 without spending a fortune. Also I have no amps and I don't want to buying one, stuff like the HD600 or will be overkill for me. Stuff like the AKG K702 seems to have literally nobass even less than the 598.

why so many animeNEETs on hpg?

could it be because you live with your parents and are embarssed by the content you listen to, thus cannot have a god tier speaker setup but must live in shame with NEETphones?

>I would like that additional detail the 599 can offer.
Kek, majorhifi. I suggest watching/reading more than one review.
I did the research a few months ago when a friend asked me the same question, and the hd579 is preferred by most reviewers.
The HD599 is seen as a slightly colored version of the 579, where the bass bleeds into the midrange and makes the sound fall apart when it hits hard.
I've found this opinion not just on serious reviews, but even on amazon reviews by the riffraff for the HD579. The HD599 is flawed, avoid.

All I really want are headphones that would do well with everything as general use. I like being able to have that nice resonating bass in movies and certain songs. With my HD558s, I never really got that. Heard the HD600s sound more or less the same. The HD650 says it has better bass, but it also lacks sub-bass, which as far as I know is what the booming is. Open headphones are a necessity for me because I am sensitive to air pressure changes. Just trying to get the best bang for my buck.

>Also I have no amps and I don't want to buying one, stuff like the HD600 or will be overkill for me.
You're making a terrible mistake here. The HD600 will sound decent plugged anywhere because of its high impedance. The HD579 and HD599 will not, because their impedance is low, and their impedance stability is also low (there's some 7x peak!), making them sound outright bad unless plugged to a low impedance source (that is, most headphone amps).
If you can afford the HD600, go with the HD600 hands off. You do even seem to care about bass, where the HD600 will mop the floor with 599, 579, 598 and 558 alike.

that's just Japan having the best standards concerning audio quality. Expensive set-up to listen to japanese music is a worth spending.

I live in a apartment and blasting speakers would get me in trouble with landlord

>With my HD558s
Are you nuts? Don't sidegrade to another HD500-series. The difference is going to be minimal, you'll just be throwing your money away by buying similar mid-fi.
For it to be an upgrade, it has to be at least HD600.
>Heard the HD600s sound more or less the same.
Nope. The difference in bass (and not just bass) is like night and day. And I've upgraded from HD598, which I do still have within an arms reach, so I know what I'm talking about.
And yes, the HD600 loses far less of its good sound when plugged to phone/computer/etc without an amp, when compared to the HD598, which will sound absolute garbage without an amp.
Furthermore, if you got an amp (doesn't need to be expensive), the same HD558 you've been using for ages would literally blow you away, because it has the same low impedance + high impedance variation flaw.