I want to install Linux on my ps2

I want to install Linux on my ps2
do you NEED the Linux disk or not? Is there a workaround? cause those disks are absurd now

the ps2 is absurd now

you need the HDD kit with ethernet, i know that,

why?

this?

Also will this work with a japanese only Japanese region japan japan ass Playstation 2?

This is Sup Forums don't ask us tech questions

Gameshark or codebreakers shit still worked then. I think mine even had the built in ability to "run a backup disk." Otherwise ISO + modded console.

OR JUST DOWNLOAD THE LINUX ISO, USE IT IN A PS2 EMULATOR, AND SAVE EONS OF TIME.

It's too old to use as a computer

Let OP waste his existence, encourage it, come to the dark side.

yeah, one of those is an pata port for you to hook up a pata drive.

Maybe give NetBSD a go? Afaik, their whole gimmick is that they support really weird obscure stuff.

I literally googled "ps2 linux" and the second link was a guide on how to do it without the ISO.

do you faggots even try anymore?

Install Black Rhino Linux

Does that wipe the original OS on the PS2? It seems like a fun thing to do I don't like ruining old consoles

linux on PS2 is a total meme and literally a raspberry pi would do better
most of the issue is the appalling lack of RAM, but it's also got a fairly slow CPU
only thing I ended up doing was going on IRC with it for a few minutes
there's an unofficial method these days, literally just google linux ps2

no

No, the PS2's OS is basically a BIOS with a GUI. Each game is an OS that the system boots to, the PS2's firmware is just booting Linux instead of Spyro.

ah okay, thanks for the explanation.

>stop using old things!

Wow I thought this was Sup Forums technology not Sup Forums normie

Oh yeah? What if all my computer shit breaks and all I got is my fucking PS2? Then where will you all be smart guys?

NetBSD's "gimmick" is portability, which enables its support of such a wide number of platforms

It's "Sup Forums - Sup Forums leak" now

I dont think you can *choose* a linux for ps2.
I think it's its own "distro", PS2Linux or something

Inevitably some freetard probably decided to create their own PS2 distro at some point.

Yes you can. The PS2 has an official Linux distro but there's also Black Rhino Linux and others.

That's neat. I'm not connected to this at all

Duuuude..

What if you connected a PS/2 Keeb
To your PS2?!?!

that was the intent with the official release

however you can just use a usb kb+m and/or adapters if you want to get that autistic

how would this work with a machine like this?

at its core this is a playstation 2 with some DVR bits bolted on and a built in HDD

Unless it has English options or you know Japanese you'll have to struggle with the os until you get your linux distro on it then you'll be set

I don't see why it wouldn't work, it's just a PS2 with all the hardware you need built in

there may be a physical limitation in that I dont know how to unscrew it and stick in this part

I'll stick it in you

Like I said, all the hardware you need is built in. You don't need to unscrew anything.

I dont know if it has ethernet though.

Of course it does

>using the name of a malicious company as a verb therefore promoting it and growing the botnet

>do you NEED
why would i need something?

the very first model, the scph-10000 (japan) doesn't have a hdd bay like the rest, so i'm not sure if you can use that, maybe there's some other method for those

What fun things can you do with a PS2 in the current year?

play ps2 and ps1 games

But video games aren't fun!

install netbsd on one or something, then

>download Linux and use it a ps2 emulator
Why not just cut out the middle man and run it on bare hardware