Are Chromebooks good computers? I'm thinking of buying one for my mom

Are Chromebooks good computers? I'm thinking of buying one for my mom.

no.

Why not, bitch?

as facebook/google/youtube machine yeah.
have tons at school and they have use, imo shit, but that's because I'm used to my home PC

Botnet

I don't think my mom will give a flying fuck.

They're not truly computers.

A true computer gives you a 750hz beep when you turn it on by it's PC Speaker, indicating to you that somewhere deep into that system, there is a Intel 8253 in some form into it, making it a true heir of the IBM PC line.

realistically they're probably fine if you don't need a more advances OS. And I assume since you're on this board and know your mom you can make that decision yourself.
It's fucking stupid to ask people here if chromebooks are good because no one here would ever use one.

>It's fucking stupid to ask people here if chromebooks are good because no one here would ever use one.

I'd use one.

can confirm, forced to use them at school

They'd not real laptops

You're better iff just using a Bluetooth keyboard with your phone. Same functionality

What exactly makes it not a real laptop? The OS? If I were to install GNU/Linux on one would that qualify it as a real laptop?

Yes. Good especially for the price. Asus cb flip c302 is awesome. Especially if she just uses her laptop as a FB machine

For fucking what? Nearly everyone I know needs OSX or Windows just to get through the day. A few absolutely need Windows and maybe

locked bootloader and ARM processors make this a bad (although not impossible) solution.

When did you stop loving your mother?

They don't all run ARM processors you know.

True but if you buy a Chromebook for anything over $500 you are 100% wasting your money

Good thing I'm only paying $100.

I had to use one for my last year of HS, they're fine for anything you can do on chrome (including extensions) and NOTHING else. Idk what you're mom uses a computer for, but my mother would be perfectly fine using one aside from the fact she can't dump her 50-bagabazillion photos onto it without clouding them.

My GF has one. She uses it for studying and Netflix, it's pretty comfy.

>Good battery life
>Good screen
>Cheap
>Good enough performance

They are subsidised laptops that you can install Linux on, what's not to like? Sup Forums is literally a bunch of normie faggots nowadays that have to use everything OOTB instead of fixing software flaws and profiting

>i want inflict the botnet on my own mother
disgust.png

I've bought a cheap ass chromebook to use instead of my other laptop. The lid's hinge is broken therefore it doesn't stay open. The chromebook in question is pic related. I don't recommend it, because even after having it for 3 or 4 months, I still haven't gotten the GPU (Mali T-764) to run. I can use it fine for day to day usage with general browsing, IRC and some coding. However, because the whole OS is on an external SD card, I/O is slow as fuck and the programs hang for a few to several seconds every now and then. Another upside is the long battery life. With browsing usage and music playing it can last 7 hours. All in all I'm glad I'm not part of the intel botnet, and I think it's much more energy efficient as well.

For browsing the net, yes, for anything else notso much. I did manage to install vim on a chromebook though . But you could always install Linux on it.
They are cheap, decent build for the money, the battery lasts basically a whole day and you get free Google drive storage.. I'd say they're ok for a parent unless they have specific software needs.

They're perfect for moms. Got one for my mom no regrets.

>$190 locked down chromebook with Cruton, gets wiped out if you accidentally a switch or annoys the shit out of you on boot with a warning message if you wipe and install gallium
>$200 cheapass windows laptop with the same hardware that isnt locked down and can run linux without annoying you after one trip to the bios
$10 aint worth it bruv

>shitty keyboard layout

>literally having this much down syndrome

Chromebooks are for brainlets that are to stupid to use a proper linux distribution.