/amg/ - Apple Mac General

Previous thread .
This thread is for the discussion of Apple's Mac computers and macOS.

Recommended media player: IINA, or VLC if you must.
lhc70000.github.io/iina/
videolan.org/vlc/
Recommended browser: Safari (or Safari Tech Preview/WebKit Nightly if you do web development). Safari's speed and impact on battery life are vastly superior to all other browsers available on macOS. If the lack of .webm support really upsets you, just run them through IINA, or get the (buggy) VLC Web Plugin.

The most popular package managers for macOS are Homebrew and MacPorts.
Macports has more packages overall, but Homebrew has a larger community and has pretty much every Unix utility you'd need.
brew.sh
macports.org

Current macOS version is 10.13 (High Sierra), however, it's recommended that you stay on 10.12 (Sierra) until at least 10.13.2, if not 10.13.3 due to user-reported bugs after upgrading. If you really want to upgrade, back up your shit and do a clean install as to avoid conflicts.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aZ_0mh9Z4AQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Forgot to post the OP question: do you think iOS is set to replace macOS on all of their devices, including the Macbooks/iMac?

Walmart is selling the SE certified Apple refurb for $99 if you are into that

How's 10.13.2?

Any less buggy? Because I'm frankly fucking disappointed. Been a year between El Cap and Sierra and I was pretty alright there, and then this shit came out.

Please move this thread to /fa/, thank you.

I don't think it's out yet.
Just reinstall Sierra if you dislike HS that much, it's not difficult (it's what I did and everything's fine now)

>I don't think it's out yet.
Why think when you can just check?
10.13.2 is out.

It's actually called /fag/ friendly apple general

Is High Sierra really that bad? I've just recently started using a mac again since like Tiger, and I feel High Sierra is solid.

Who /noports/ here?

I'm getting seriously fed up with the bugginess of Apple's software, iOS but especially OSX. For +10 years I've justified the expense of Apple hardware because the software experience was so polished and stable; that seems increasingly less the case.

Updated to 10.13.2 and the latest iTunes and pic related started happening. I'm afraid to open iTunes now because it keep creating more copies of stuff. I can't even how shit Apple has become.

Also none of the problems I've been having with HS, notably around APFS, have been fixed.

That actually sounds pretty damn good.

This, since Jewbs' death design by committee has been more and more prevalent and theyre starting to lose it.

It cannot be denied that the man was an important asset and that losing him took the company down more than it was.

It's quite nice update, though I don't really feel any significant differents.

That's iTunes' problem, not the update though.

Who here into smart playlists?
I rate songs in my collection. Also,I have set up the following self-updating playlists:
>5-star, 25 least recently played
>5-star, 25 least recently added
>5-star, 25 most recently added
>5-star, 25 least often played
>5-star, 25 most often played
Then combine them into one using a separate smart playlist to get a truly self-refreshing playlist of music that I love. Needless to say, even in Repeat All mode one song rarely repeats twice while forcing forgotten goodies buried in the collection play at the same rate as the fresh ones.
When I get over a song I dismiss it from the ever-recycling play queue by removing one star.

Then I listen the 4-stars for nostalgia or a chill background.

I think I got why people hates generals

I miss the "play higher rated more often" option that used to exist, and that Apple took away for no apparent reason. No elaborate playlist work-arounds needed.

Does anyone use that one?

So I have a MacBook Air from late 2010 running Linux and want to reinstall High Sierra, how does it run for basic web browsing, art stuff, opening programs and turning on?

Because they reduce the amount of shit on the boards and every board should be a clusterfuck?

No
ios is too restrictive
And arm still is missing main x86 programs
If you're talking about general users such as ma and pa
They've been fine with a tablet for a long long time now, ios is fine for them

So is macOS going to become geared towards professionals?

With whole "whazakoputer xddddd" meme apple pulled, I wouldn't expect anything else

I once saw a youtube-tutorial about a program that you could write js code for, and the output of the js code would be written in the toolbar.

Does anyone know what program I'm talking about?

I've been getting random kernel panics if I don't reboot every couple of days

But that's a good thing. macOS' target market changing I mean

No, but I don't really see why you'd want to use anything else than IINA

I'm currently building a pc right now but looking to get a laptop in the near future. I have had a sony vaio and Asus laptops shit the bed on me in the last 4 years while my wife's MacBook has been fine over a span of 6 years. I am looking at getting a MacBook as well in hopes that it lasts longer, how do I get one and use it in the most heterosexual way.

how do i make the font rendering looks less shit on my 1080p 23inch monitor?

Force RGB; there is a ruby script somewhere that I found that'll do it. Its a bit involved but this is Sup Forums turning off system integrity protection shouldn't be too hard. I had to do it to my Acer 1440p because my 2015 Pro was fuckin' up

IINA stutters on dynamic scenes on i7.

youtube.com/watch?v=aZ_0mh9Z4AQ

Get a macbook air, the pro isn't worth it.

Works fine for me

Oh, I guess I'm just used to shutting down my computers daily.

And with SSDs being so fast rebooting only takes a few seconds.

>macOS will progressively stop catering to the average consumer and return to its Unix roots
How is this a bad thing?

>IINA

interesting player. I like that someone has started giving MPV a proper GUI.

BUT

it seems to be doing this weird cropping of my videos for reasons unknown.

also its color is muted compared to vanilla MPV.

weird. shame because I do like the UI

I would fully support this. Many normies (at least those not in uni) don't use computers anymore, but we still need macOS to build the iOS apps. Gearing MacBooks towards developers would be a great thing, and would accentuate macOS' greatest feature, it's UNIX core.

If I upgrade from snow leopard to Sierra on my MacBook Air, will my computer get slower?

Just got a new MC Pro. Can't stand window management and Finder. Every time I switch windows I feel my life passing in that 3 second animation.

Depends on the model
Settings > Accessibility and disable animations

If you want it to go faster, just hold down shift as you click to minimize windows

It’s a MacBook Air 2010

kek
You should be fine

Where do technology illiterate appletoddler morons get the false impression that they or their fruity toddler toys are welcome much less belong on a technology board?

We're here to stay whether you like it or not :^)

>appletoddler thinks he'll ever belong on a technology board
lmao

Also, that isn't the previous thread in the OP, this is L
M
A
O

Report and move on

This. Mods deleted this shit thread after multiple reports last time. Keep it up.

They deleted the other thread because it was a duplicate, nice try faggot. You can't make us leave.

>literally sucks cocks
>calls someone else faggot
rly maeks u think....

Stay mad faggot :^) Maybe some day you'll be able to afford something else than a second-hand cum encrusted Thinkpad, who knows.

>tfw no bf

Maybe if people like you who have shit for brains would let others enjoy what they actually like and leave us be Sup Forums wouldn't be such a terrible place. Go shitpost on gentoo threads or put on your programming socks and be a faggot elsewhere

>literally sucks cocks
>calls someone else faggot
rly maeks u think....

>Maybe if people like you who have shit for brains would let others enjoy what they actually like and leave us be Sup Forums wouldn't be such a terrible place.
This. Appleshit shills need to be purged.

Kind of feeling the age on my 2013 MBA, but i have to admit it's mostly the RAM and storage limitation. Plus an intermittent issue with the DisplayPort out being buggy and not working sometimes, usually requires a SMC reset.

Plus a nicer screen is a bonus. Though the price rises of apple computers is concerning, on some level i wonder if it's time to say goody to Macs, but honestly most computers in the same bracket of quality are just as, if not more expensive.

>macshit
>bracket of quality
Found your problem.

i'm talking Surface, XPS, Blade, Envy etc etc. they are almost all in the same $1500 ballpark i'm looking at. Or i can pay less and start making compromises.

A macbook IS the compromise, you faggot.

Just get another MBA.

Aw man, fuck us sideways if we don't like Chinkpads from Lelnovo thats encrusted with cheeto crumbs from 2012

Because whether you like it or not, Apple products are technology.

Dead thread for a dead platform, Apple are probably going to discontinue macs in 2018

>using VLC

Kys, my dude.

Yes discontinue the entire mac brand right as they release the iMac pro. It makes complete sense.

Hey, one man's trash is another man's treasure. It just happens to be that my treasure is your trash, and your treasure is my trash.

>discontinue Macs

Are you several types of mentally retarded?

i dont get this throttling/overheating meme, ive used a macbook pro since early 2015 and shit has been fine.

I've never overheated in the sense that my MBP shuts down, but it sure as fuck gets uncomfortably warm when I do vidya rendering or large compiles. Then I normally just open the hinge all the way and try to lean it against the wall while it does its thing.

I work on a project that requires recompiling OpenSceneGraph every fucking change, can't even re-use some stuff. So 5-10 min compiles is enough time to prop up the laptop and go get a drink/go for a walk.

2 rupees have been deposited in your Apple Evangelism Account.

>So 5-10 min compiles is enough time to prop up the laptop and go get a drink/go for a walk.
THE ABSOLUTE STATE OF MACSHIT HOUSEFIRES.

? show me how long it takes your laptop to compile OSG from scratch. my 7700K still takes 4 minutes to do it. an extra minute from a laptop makes total sense.

>macshit
>7700k
lmao

A $500 fleabay laptop blows the 2017 Hotplate """"""""PRO""""""" out of the water. Applel is a fucking joke.

what are you even on about?

Good thread. It started out shit but now it's really picking up. :^)

>Then I normally just open the hinge all the way and try to lean it against the wall while it does its thing.

>this is "normal" for mactards so their throttlebooks don't catch fire

Fucking KEK.

I mean any windows laptop doing comparable work will also get warm because guess what, processors give off heat! Who would've thought?

A mactoddler has defended his steaming pile of shit.

They are happy.

I'm sorry, what?

>it sure as fuck gets uncomfortably warm when I do vidya rendering or large compiles. Then I normally just open the hinge all the way and try to lean it against the wall while it does its thing.

FUCKING KEK

What? No laptop would ever be under 50 degrees at full load unless ambient temps were freezing or the cooling system is fucking huge.

>No fagbook would ever be under 50 degrees at full load
Fixed for reality.

More like fixed to match your delusion

MACTODDLERS ON SUICIDE WATCH

Nope, that wouldn't make sense. iOS is not a proper desktop operating system, it lacks some pretty basic functionality. If you think macOS and iOS are similar, you've clearly never used macOS.

If I still had my 2015 throttlebook, I probably would be doing this. Couldn't sell that piece of shit off fast enough. Throttling trash couldn't handle the most basic of tasks without kicking up the fans to jet engine levels. Macs are fucking trash, I can't believe I fell for the shilling on here.

Apple trash, not even once.

How will mactoddlers EVER recover?

Is Swinsian really the best music player/library manager, or is there anything better out there?

MACTODDLERS BTFO

You niggers have to do this every time don't you?

Holy kek.

>t. assblasted mactoddler

>PICKLE RICK
Every time

Jesus Christ the edge in this thread is real