Old PPC Mac from a school in California unformatted

Hello Sup Forums. I want to format this hard drive so I can install MorphOS or Linux, but I cannot boot into CD by pressing and holding C, or command O+F or Command R.
Basically I'm stuck with OSX until I can unlock the proprietary school system programs and unlock the hard drive. I was able to login as root by typing in root and the password hint was student. From there I was able to access the teachers account. By default it boots into the student account. There is classwork and school programs here. How do I fuck up this computer and can I access secret teachers shit? They didn't have the decency to format so I have to do it for them. I tried sudo rm -rf/* but I don't have access to the hard drive as it said it was a illegal operation. I also found out the hard-drive is read only. How should I fuck up this computer so I can install another OS like Linux or MorphOS?

Other urls found in this thread:

duckduckgo.com/?q=ppc mac boot from dvd&ia=qa
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Give it back Johnson

It was bought from a school auction. They were selling a bunch in bulk and I bought this on eBay. I upgraded the ram to 1GB, but I don't have any money to buy a new IDE hard drive.

Give it back, Jeremy.

When you figure it out, you're ready for GNU/Linux, but you must figure it out yourself.

But I bought it. It is mine. The school doesn't want it anymore. They're apparently not smart enough to format their own hard drives.

Give it back, James

I know how to install GNU/Linux, but the hard drive is locked down preventing me from fucking with it. There must be another way to gain full access to the system and use open firmware or recovery mode and install a new OS. Google hasn't been helpful.

>but the hard drive is locked down preventing me from fucking with it
Bullshit. You said you had root access. You can do whatever you want with it. Nothing is locked down.

All you need is ddg, not Sup Forums.

duckduckgo.com/?q=ppc mac boot from dvd&ia=qa

give it back Richard

Can you get into the firmware console?
It's Command+Option+O+F not just Command.
You have to do it exactly after it Chimes.

Try also Command, Option, Shift, and Delete with the CD in.
Also try Option, Command, P, and R, to reset the NVRAM. Then try booting from the optical drive again with C.

Also, when you're in OS X with a root access, go to Preferences, Startup Disk with the CD inserted, can you select boot from CD there? If you can, select CD and reboot.

Once you boot MorphOS or Linux you should be able to format it.

take out hard drive and plug it into an another machine and format it there. then boot whatever you want onto it.

If I try to use sudo rm -rf/* it says it is an illegal operation. If I use diskutil, it says I cannot delete the boot disk and I need permission to delete the partition (Ownership of the affected disk is required.) I cannot use open firmware or any command when I first boot into the system. It ignores all of those and goes directly into the OS as it doesn't want me to fuck with anything.

>sudo rm -rf/*
Yes, that's illegal.
Try sudo rm -rf /*

No, I cannot access the firmware console. It ignores any input on my keyboard until the OS boots. I tried using startup disk and select the boot CD, but it wont let me. I can read the CD, but I cant boot from it from startup disk.

Unplug the drive, try booting into Open Firmware then. Will it let you?

Why do you run sudo when you're already root? Why do you think diskutil would let you remove the partition of the running OS? diskutil have actual format options. rm -rf is not a format utility, it's for deleting files. -r for recursively, -f for force.

Use ddg, figure out how to boot from external media. Wipe the drive from there.

I'm trying that and it is loading. Hopefully it will fuck up the hard drive, but who wants me to read student classwork or see their drawings? Thanks Anonymous. Hopefully this works and nothing proprietary stops me. There is different passwords for accessing things, but I can fuck around with it for meme'ery.

If it won't work, try If it lets you in then, plug the drive back in when in OF console (SATA is hot pluggable), insert a Linux CD with a partition manager, boot it. While Linux boots it should redetect the hard drive and let you format it.

It worked. I was able to boot into CD and am able to install MorphOS.

Awesome!
Have fun.

Why did you never just hold option?

Wouldn't have helped, lockfile on drive won't let you boot anything else.

The computer was configured in a way where I couldn’t do that, just boot into the OS. When I typed sudo rm -rf /* it gave me the option to boot from cd as there was no OS.

Why do you run sudo as root?

I should of posted the cringy classwork, but oh well. It was a 2nd grade class.

Bad habit. Soon, once MorphOS is done, I’ll rice it up.

Not him, but a normal (not limited) account (teacher in his case) with administrator access does not have root access. It just has access to use sudo for root access.
Are you new to this?

OP already said he had root access. Can you read?

New problem. I only get a grey screen. It wont boot from CD. It wont do anything. I just want to install an OS. Apparently the computer wont accept any keyboard inputs unless it has booted into a OS. First time it showed that there was no OS and it booted into MorphOS, but I made a mistake durring the install, rebooted, and get a grey screen. I might just take this into an Apple Store.

Give it back, Adolph

I’ll just take it into the Apple Store and see if they can fix it. They fixed my iBook for free.

why bother fucking up the hard drive of your own computer?
there's so many layers of retardedness in this thread wtf

that's what you get for rm -rf / you fucking retard