Why aren't you using MS Word '97?

Screw Libre Office! I happened to get hold of a legit copy of MS Word '97 and I installed it to my Windows 10 laptop and I have to say that I'm quite impressed with it! It loads up super fast. It's much more responsive, and it doesn't take like 2 seconds for spell check to flag a word unlike MS Word 16. Seriously, I don't need themes, smart art, or Bing clip art. If I wanted to use all that, I'd use MS Publisher.

Word '97 is perfect since it has just the right amount of features more than notepad. I'm currently typing a novel in the program.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knuth_reward_check
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

THIS ISN'T A JOKE.

I may not have an I9 or thread ripper processor like you .

There must be a bug or two.

Doesn't all software have bugs?

How's .docx support oh... Wait

RTF and DOC is good enough for my projects. I still have MS Word 16 to open up files other people make and I'd NEVER open up any file I didn't make in Word '97 because of the risk of viruses.

Why aren't you using LaTeX?

And here I thought spam was a bannable offense.

>not groff

I mean due to backwards compatibility. There are probably tons of hacks under the hood of Win 10 to get software this old running.
Is there anything actually useful that docx offers?

I currently don't need to type out string theory equations.

I hate copy/pasting a template without understanding all directives and I'm too lazy to learn it all myself.

>the only reason to use a typesetter is equations

The state of Sup Forums.

>there's something bad about not needing a fine level of operation

We forget how good Office 97 was, and how effectively NOT locking it down ensure Office everywhere. It works fine for many common tasks, it's light and it's fast.

Someone made a Portable version but I don't have the link any more. Shouldn't be hard to do but I've not played with portable app soft in several years.

Anyone know what's good?

Then don't use the fine level of operation?

But you're forced anyhow.

No you're not. Stop making up lies.

But it's true.

>word processor
>type shit
>hit print
>BAM

>tex processor
>type shit
>have to google for cryptic commands to change font and plenty of other stuff
>nu uh can't print just yet
>have to "compile" the file first
>hope you have a compatible program to open the compiled file
>finally hit print

>>have to google for cryptic commands to change font and plenty of other stuff
Or read the manual.

>>hope you have a compatible program to open the compiled file
Not a issue with DOCX I take it?

Well. I mean, you're not wrong.
But if you use LaTeX to ">type shit >hit print >BAM" you use a hammer for sawing a branch off the tree. It's going to bend in the end but you're wasting your time.

LaTeX has value where a long text file, essay or novel needs to be written and changed here and there. Chapters, page changes and numbering are never tied to the text but are added at compile time and thus the wall of text is easier to modify at any time. Changing a chapters position in a 200 page Word document will make you pull your hair off but in LaTeX it's a breeze because the layout accommodates instead of spazzing out.

But at this time and age it's a matter of preference. I enjoy (La)TeX more because the text is easier for me to keep track of while I write and modify it. It's very much like Vim (or Emacs) vs nano - they all end up writing up identical files but other people enjoy being in immediate control and embrace the learning curve rather than use the software that is easier but more limited.

>used this in junior high
Literally high point for Microsoft and Office and it's been all downhill ever since

I'm not defending Docx, but surely *Tex is much more nuanced and because of that takes more time to get into and use.

>Is there anything actually useful that docx offers?
compatibility with the rest of the world since 2010
plus, less vulnerability which is the reason why every sane organisation ditched the .doc

It might be even better than 97, but will it run just as fast?

Also that file name is awful.

The patrician choice.

>not using plaintext

i literally have an original office 2003 copy and use libreoffice.

I use Ed and groff. Anything else is bloat.

Vi was already about when troff was. The Unix Text Processing book even has a mini tutorial on Vi.

>all these literal retards

pandoc markdown, faggots.

mix in your shitty tex macros inline if you must.

This is the correct answer. And it does not take a lot of resources to use.

He was writing a novel, not a man page.

You get paid to find bugs in Knuth's TeX implementation. I hazard the guess very few are left, if any.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knuth_reward_check
Imagine if MS had tried that approach...

>He was writing a novel, not a man page.
You can write anything in groff. the 'mom' macro set even has a style for books.

>not using vim for everything

Screw Libre Office! I happened to get hold of a legit copy of Novell WordPerfect 5.1 and I installed it to my Windows 10 laptop and I have to say that I'm quite impressed with it! It loads up super fast. It's much more responsive, and it doesn't take like 2 seconds for spell check to flag a word unlike MS Word 16. Seriously, I don't need themes, smart art, or Bing clip art. If I wanted to use all that, I'd use MS Publisher.

WordPerfect 5.1 is perfect since it has just the right amount of features more than notepad. I'm currently typing a novel in the program.

What's the difference between this and Notepad?

>giving a shit about corporate security policies as a home user
They ditched it because corporations tend to employ scores of drooling retards.

It's a fully featured word processor.

WordPerfect is a word processor, notepad is a text editor.

Screw WordPerfect! Wordstar's where it's at!

Sure you CAN but would you really want to do that? (La)TeX is renowned for correct page and line breaking, formatting and looking good. I cannot even imagine Neal Stephenson going groff.

This guy is definitely 18+.

>I cannot even imagine Neal Stephenson going groff.

Since he uses emacs, he likely uses some element of org-mode. I mean, it'd be weird if he didn't.

>Or read the manual.
Nobody wants to do that for such basic tasks that can just as easily be accomplished using self-documenting software like MSO, LibreOffice or Google Docs. The minimal advantages of LaTeX in use cases where office suites are commonly used just don't outweigh the convenience unless you have significant experience with LaTeX to begin with.

>self-documenting

I want to kill whichever faggot invented such a stupid idea.

>normies reeee I can't feel smarter than other people if the trivial shit I try too hard on is considered unnecessary and inefficient
Why don't you just go buy an old printing press and typesetting kit already instead of making LaTeX hold your hand? It's all in the journey, right?

The fact that you're still here suggests otherwise.

Yeah, I won't knock the ribbon interface, but older versions of Office are great.
I really like how they have documentation included.
Really hate this trend where the docs are online. It's slow and I don't always have a connection.