/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of whorology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/u7xRjE3Sylw

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

>Watch essentials 102:
pastebin.com/VBAu4Rwi

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.co.uk/dp/B06W9JDHP8/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_9.flAbTGC62F7
launches.endclothing.com/product/end-x-timex-navi-ocean-watch-tw2r78400qn
youtube.com/watch?v=PoAb-rgdPm4
youtu.be/qft4hFNPtsg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What time is it?

Time to party

I'm thinking about buying this watch: amazon.co.uk/dp/B06W9JDHP8/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_9.flAbTGC62F7

Opinions?

Can anyone here recommend me a cheap GMT diver that doesn't look like a Rolex knockoff? I am willing to do quartz at this point. Also no stop fucking recommending watches that are often times more expensive than a Rolex. I emphasize cheap.

seagull or vostok?

>he can't afford a beater Patek
Should it be a diver style or just any gmt? Because Junkers make some nice Junk GMTs that aren't styled like a Rolex.
Timex makes some pretty good intelliquartz watches that come with that function and then there's tons of mall brands that offer quartz + gmt. What's your budget?

Vostok

My battery for my F-91W died, thought it might be a good time to get a new strap while I replace it. Any suggestions?

It doesn't need to be a divers, just enough that you can swim with it.

How about this? Simple, doesn't look tryhard, quartz, wr200 and cheap.

WTF is that shit inside of the dial? JUST GIVE ME THE TIME AND GMT FEATURE, I DON'T NEED ALL OF THAT USELESS FUCKING NUMBERS THAT DOESN'T DO ANYTHING.

>he doesn't know how to use a slide rule
>he doesn't know how to use a slide rule bezel
The gmt feature on that watch is revolting imo

Did I fucking say I don't know how to use it? Learn to fucking read I said I DON'T FUCKING WANT IT. Also I agree with your that GMT feature is retarded.

V O S T O K

?

#notmyvostok

>WTF is that shit inside the dial
Yes you did fail to know what it is.

why

What you said was I don't know how to use a simple slide rule which takes 30 seconds to learn. So yea you're the idiot that can't comprehend simple english. Again if you are not going to be useful then get the fuck out of my thread.

>I didn't know what a slide rule is but I can use one
Sure buddy.

>service my broken King seiko hi beat
>mainspring broke, no problem
>replaced mainspring, overhaul it, no problems.
>get it to 2 sec a day fast with .1 m/s beat error
>stops working, cant figure out why
>strip the entire thing down
>see that 6 teeth off the barrel are sheared off

when the mainspring broke it took some barrel teeth with it. and I only noticed it when it lost engagement with the cannon pinion drive wheel.

gonna call 2 part suppliers on monday and hopefully they have it for less than 50 bucks. god fucking dammit.

define "cheap"?

Save money, buy straight from China.

There are plenty if you don't want a diver.
It is hard enough to buy a cheap diver that doesn't pay homage to the Sub.

thats a hybrid watch?

I just got a new diver

how did i do?

Damn, sorry to hear that man. Best of luck with the parts hunt.

That is very exquisite my friend.

It's a quartz watch that uses a balance wheel, hairspring, and pallet fork instead of a stepper motor. Read the op pastebin and/or this.

Nice. I got my Bruno Sohnle from Watchbuys last year and i think a tegimented Sinn U1 will be my next pickup.

how many faking watchmakers are in that town?

Thoughts on the Nokia Steel?

trips

Better than a blow job from a entry level columbian whore.
So pretty good overall.

>Better than a blow job from a entry level columbian whore.

10/10

would cop senpai

I think it looks surprisingly classy for a smart watch.

What did he mean by this?

do you like my collection?

Why shouldn't I buy this?

launches.endclothing.com/product/end-x-timex-navi-ocean-watch-tw2r78400qn

In my most honest opinion, I only like top right.
You need some diversity to your collection my friend.

How do I take good pictures of my collection?

Natural lighting and plenty of it!

>You need some diversity to your collection my friend.

how about this one

How much is the regular version? How much is the meme colab worth to you?

Maybe get a nice dress watch, a digital lcd and/or led one for a beater or for nerd core, maybe a chronograph too.
Seen one diver and you've seen them all.. That's how I feel about those.

this is a dress watch

38mm diver isn't bad but just remember you're sinking 199 for it

God, I just listened to this interview. This might be the greatest talk I have ever listened related to watches. I laughed and cried during it.

youtube.com/watch?v=PoAb-rgdPm4

Is there anything that comes close to it?

W..what is that abomination on the top left? It looks like Seiko USA tried to knock off the Alpinist.

>replying to stale reposted bait collection pics

Can anyone help id this watch? At least a ballpark maker/style/price/whatever? It's in Japan if that's any hint. Thanks.

do I pull the trigger on this?

Price is a bit high.

how much is that in real money?

1500 gold dollars? Wtf.
Anyways, get something more tastefull like a speedmaster.

Over 1100 USD is more than I'd want to pay - for a 45GS I'd be thinking in the 500-800 range depending on condition. The seller's description shows a clear lack of knowledge about the watch and there is no movement shot or proof of service, so I would take the "serviced" claim with a bit of skepticism. No returns either. I'd suggest taking a pass. Only upside is ebay buyer protection - seller states it's running +3 "flat" (presumably dial up), so you can return if it isn't, despite the no returns policy.

On the plus side the case condition looks pretty decent, as does the dial. I'm not enough of an expert to judge if it's a redial, but I suspect it's not. The case looks unpolished, but there are so few pictures, and the pictures aren't that good.

No. It's too expensive for its condition, and you should really consider whether you feel it is worthwhile to pay the premium for a Grand Seiko branded 4520 vs a King Seiko branded 4500 or 4502.

If you have some risk tolerance and some willingness to learn how to judge the condition, originality and value of examples of these watches for yourself you can also find much better values on Yahoo Japan Auctions using a proxy bidding service like ZenMarket or Buyee.

Cheers lads, all the GS wanking around here has made me want one, I'll do more research though.

I'd agree with on the suggestion to go with a King Seiko - they go for a bit cheaper, and have the same movement inside (they just weren't adjusted as carefully at the factory - although with the accuracy of mine, you wouldn't believe it). They also have the non-hooded lugs, which I'd argue is nicer than the lugs on the GS cases.

Is the finishing the same?

I believe it is for the 4520s. When you start talking observatory chronometer and VFA 4580s, I don't know, but I would guess it probably is.

>they just weren't adjusted as carefully at the factory - although with the accuracy of mine, you wouldn't believe it
Ah, well, there is a little bit of debate on this subject among vintage Seiko nerds. There seem to be some persistent discrepancies between the standard to which certain Daini Seikosha produced King Seiko branded models were supposed to be adjusted to, and the standard they were actually adjusted to. There is some belief out there that since the King Seiko Brand was developed by Daini themselves rather than the Suwa developed Grand Seiko branding, that Daini tended to adjust the King Seiko versions to a higher standard than they were theoretically supposed to according to the corporate dictum that decided Grand Seiko was supposed to be a higher model line with better adjustment. In general from what I've read I haven't seen anything to suggest that reguar 45xx GS models are substantively more accurate than the KS branded equivalents. VFA and Astronomical Observatory versions are of course a separate matter.

>>I believe it is for the 4520s. When you start talking observatory chronometer and VFA 4580s, I don't know, but I would guess it probably is.
It's my understanding that the VFA models had similar levels of external finishing to the regular Grand Seiko versions. As far as I'm aware it was only the movements that were substantially different. For anyone not aware, the movements in the VFA models were made by the best watchmakers the factory had, cherry picking each component in the movement for optimal characteristics, hand assembled by that master watchmaker, and then extensively adjusted by that master watchmaker. With so much care and attention showered on them they became capable of extraordinary accuracy, and they were sold with a +/- 2 SPD accuracy guarantee for 2 years from the factory.

entry level chinkquartz is more accurate than your $500k grails, really makes you think

holy shit ur right....

So what? It's meaningless.

Actually, you could argue that the very best in accurate automatics might be able to do +- 15 a month like the worst quartz.

autism

And occasionally slightly better...

One of my grails is the GP 32A that achieved an N-score of 5.12 in 1967 at Neuchatel, a daily rate of better than a quarter second per day.

You know better than this, that watch has a Delta of over 2 seconds.

>Delta
Is not a measure of mean daily rate or average daily rate. That movement was regulated quite deliberately to return an average daily rate of +0.0 SPD in use.

>Is not a measure of mean daily rate or average daily rate. That movement was regulated quite deliberately to return an average daily rate of +0.0 SPD in use.
just get an iwatch and never be off even one second ever, with no regulation

also you can see when someone is texting you on it and see gps maps/navigation

why do you people not want a techy watch?

Nice. First time I've seen anyone else on these threads with a Sohnle.

The dial is great but the hands are awful (and the readability is terrible). The lugs aren't great either. I'm thinking about trying to get a better set of hands swapped onto it.

>why do you people not want a more inconvenient phone?
Gee I wonder.

you can turn off any features you don't want

it is waterproof, perfectly accurate, a GPS and displays any notifications you want, and is an mp3 player

why have gears just tell you inaccurate time when you can have that?

>he has to charge his watch
girlslaughing.jpg

you have to keep yours wound

the i watch has wireless charging, it charges while i sleep once every 3 days

pretty nice

No I don't, I have a UHF quartz.
youtu.be/qft4hFNPtsg

the iwatch is quartz and can run for months if you only use it for time and disable everything else

>run for months
kek'd at this honestly, you must be trolling to list this as a positive
>it can run for literally days if you turn off all of the features and just wear an ugly brick with 0 finishing on your wrist!!!
There are some Seiko solars that will run for 30+ years bucko.

>kek'd at this honestly, you must be trolling to list this as a positive
how is a rechargeable watch that runs for months on a wireless 8 hour charge not positive?

>There are some Seiko solars that will run for 30+ years bucko.

in comparison to watches that don't need charging at all? do i really need to explain how it's not a positive?

>not getting an eco drive instead

I'm pretty sure it's 70's Jap crap, but I can't tell you any specifics because that picture is really blurry. It's a really common style that was made by Citizen and Seiko (and many non Japanese companies too, but you said Japan so I'll focus on those) so you can get one in almost any price range. Two examples I can think of that come in that style or close are the Seiko 5 (the Actus line especially, but the watch in your pic is definitely not one of those since the crown is at 3 o'clock instead of 4) and can be gotten for as low as $25, and the Seiko Lord Matic which can be copped for ~$50-200+ depending on condition. As for Citizen, there's the Seven Star and Chronomaster which both also came in that style but seem more rare and expensive, plus I don't know a lot about them.

I would like to have one of those Bulovas just because of that movement but they're all just hideous.

Some of them look okay.