/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Old thread: /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HvpHr9IZEN4
support.system76.com/articles/wireless/
askubuntu.com/questions/905288/extremely-slow-connection-after-17-04-update
askubuntu.com/questions/854373/how-to-create-a-desktop-shortcut
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I've switched to vimperator on pale moon and now I'm addicted to vim keybindings. What are some other excellent programs with vim-like modes/keys?

Pentadactyl.
It's a fork of Vimperator, and its in the Palemoon addons list

Never heard of it. Is it better?

Install GuixSD

man

Emacs with evil mode

How do I hide a window title bar (Firefox) in MATE? I'm using Marco as my WM, do I need to swap it out?

im on fedora and i have to remove rhgb from the grub line every time i boot or it will hang
is there something i can edit so i can make this a permanent change?

sudo nano /etc/default/grub

sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg

that one already has rhgb removed. ran the second command it it didnt update anything

Is there anything cool on freenet?

bump

Why is systemd bad?

How can I check if a distro uses it?

check if you are using void linux, if not, you are probably using systemd and should install void linux

If you are actually asking why is systemd bad, chances are you will actually never really come close to touching systemd, so why care?

>so why care?
Because Sup Forums keeps mentioning it every day, I want to at least have some basic understanding.

youtube.com/watch?v=HvpHr9IZEN4
Here you go mate.

user, didn't you already learn your lesson about how flawed that logic is when you were a 12yr old and thought Windows was the shit because it did everything you needed so why care about what you don't understand?

There's nothing wrong about having forethought or wondering if the design decisions used by something are really what's best, even if they aren't things you're likely to be confronted with directly.

The problem with systemd is it's a lock in. You can't simply replace a small part of it, you'd have to basically replace the whole thing which encompasses a fuckload of software. If we continue down this road we are going to be dependent on systemd for a very very long time. And when something much better comes out in the future guess what? We're still going to be stuck with systemd for a very very long time after that still because we will have to wait ages for everything to be ported over to the new init.

So like that other user said: You won't notice a difference anyway right? So the real question is why would you want to give up the simple older inits that are so easy to swap out and interchange with each other that systemd owes its very existence to that excellent design philosophy (a philosophy which it is forcing us to completely throw out the window now) and all for something that, again, you wouldn't even know the difference between.

Okay, well ill tell you why its useless to care.

Systemd replaces a lot of the system components which make up a linux based operating system in most of the popular distros. The main problem people have with systemd imho are 3 things:
- Systemd takes over from a lot of smaller other projects which did one thing well, people think this detracts from what a lot of people think is the Unix philosophy.
- Systemd's development appears to follow what a small team wants, rather than what the linux/FOSS community wants as a whole
- Systemd is different to older system setups which people know the idiosyncrasies of, are comfortable with, and know the quirks of.

For the most part systemd is like any other init service. Itll start your services, manage your system things, and just sit there running the system. Most people dont care about that. like most people dont care about how windows runs, just that it executes the programs and relatively stays out of the way while managing. like windows, systemD doesn't cover every use case and is probably worse in things like highly specialized embedded systems, or things outside of a normie style desktop computer.

the ubiquity of systemd caught on reasonably fast, and youll see that its pretty easy now to install whatever needs to be a service with systemd there, which is why is say it doesnt really matter for most people. But if you find it pisses you off then its still relatively easy to get rid of it, pretty much just swapping distros which the unix like way of things makes not too bad.

Its just my opinion that systemd isnt as bad as what people harp on about, so do whatever.

>But if you find it pisses you off then its still relatively easy to get rid of it
Holy shit are you joking or is this what you honestly think?
There's very few distros (like only 3 or 4 mainstream ones) that don't have systemd and it wasn't because they just never made the choice to switch. No, it's because they actually did a lot of hard work to fend off systemd. Gentoo developers had to create their own fork of dbus just to avoid it and I've still seen comments from them saying it may be impossible to avoid systemd in the future.

>Gentoo developers had to create their own fork of dbus
Don't know why I said dbus, I meant udev

Its easy for an end user to switch, at the end of the say if its systemd dealing with udev or gentoo's implementation of udev i dont think user will notice a difference.

>easy to switch = reinstall your whole OS, and also limit your choices down to a minute fraction of all distros
You realize that before systemd "easy to switch" meant that I could have any choice I wanted on any distro right?

Hmm, seems we've thrown an awful lot of freedom right into the fucking trash for something that you yourself claim most people don't even notice a difference on.

I'm sorry, ive never noticed much of a pain reinstalling everything from scratch. I guess everyone is different in that regard.

I personally see it as the same as sysvinit to everything else back in the day, if you didnt do what sysvinit then you were on your own anyway. I guess youve seen yourself that isnt the case?

>tachometer on second gpu comes on when i assign it to a virtual machine
it still gives no signal in the vm window but i guess that means vfio handled the drivers like i configured it to. at least it's progress

Your first sentence makes it clear that you're being willfully ignorant and refusing to acknowledge what I'm saying. Nothing I can do about that.

and before I exit this conversation I'd just like to point out one last time (as I did in the first paragraph here ) that you're still only looking at the surface behavior and assuming that's all anyone should ever care about. Which is a terrible thing to tell new users who are actually willing to hear about the technical details. Tell people who don't care that they don't need to care if you want. But don't tell people who do care that they shouldn't.

>saying sorry for not understanding whats so difficult
>being willfully ignorant
ok?

And i think its probably best for a new user to just install something and have a poke around than to ponder the ifs and buts of a specific choice and drown in the implementation of everything before they just try.

Should i fuck off from Linux if my general production is music production and video editing? Anyone found comfortable replacements of Windows stuff? Looking for personal insights.

I've run into a problem recently. When mounting Windows NTFS partition on Ubuntu it only mounts as Read-only and I can't modify the files.

It's only started doing this today. From checking /etc/fstab, I assume an error has occurred due to the 'error=remount-ro' part. Reinstalling linux did not help.

This post is meant to remind debian users about their place in the world, as people who thought linux, plus GNU (including such monstrosities as gcc), plus god knows how much other crap, could ever be :stable:

"99% of the user community finds their way through that swamp of bugs
by using the default. that is what gets tested, and that is what gets
fixed."
-Theo De Raadt

does dmesg give any insights into what its doing while mounting it?

Well, the problem is either the filesystem is corrupted and needs to be fscked, or Windows did its magical crap with semi-hibernation and it can't be mounted rw because Windows is still "using" it.

In any case, you should not attempt to do anything with this from Linux, but boot up the Windows and maybe try doing proper shutdown instead of the default "fast" shit that replaced shutdown since Win8. There's a setting somewhere and you'll get far by googling it.

I don't know much about linux or programming, but I want to learn linux, is Ubuntu still a good distro to start? Take in note that I'm not very smart, so a slow start is preferable.

How do I extend /home with unallocated space? When I click resizes option on /home it doesn't allow me to extend it. Do I need to move partition? Can I try extending from windows?

Yes.

Linux is a kernel.

Thanks
Seems like I really have a lot to learn

You should do that from livecd/usb, i dont think you will be able to do that while / is mounted.
you should extend sda4 first, and only then you will be able to extend logical partitions like sda6

making the boot usb now... Yeah, it doesn't give me an option to extend sda4 when I'm booted as /. Gonna see in few minutes if the situation is different with live usb.

>partitions
the 80s called, they want this legacy shit back

if you had LVM you wouldn't have this problem

I cannot extend sda4 from live usb

start up windows/NT and run
powercfg /hibernate off
as administrator. This will disable hibernation and "fast boot".

i did it reddit. i set up a vm with gpu passthrough. now i just need to get it to boot off my other physical hard drive and fine tune some other things like cpu cores, drivers and swapping the windows card to my primary pcie

How can I take notes with vim which include formulas? Does markdown support some basic latex syntax?

Post the output of fdisk -l

Removing dead links from the whisker menu in xfce/xubuntu?

I've googled just that and tried everything I found.

Pic related is my menu with the dead link to Java 8 Mission Control. This seems to be a link to something I that wouldn't never had installed, I've only used Java 9.

It does not show up when I search the GUI in the menu editor/menulibre. The link also does not appear when I look in the file ~/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu.

There is nothing similarly named in /usr/share/applications/ or /home/$USER/.local/share/applications/ (which only contains defaults.list).

I have also restarted the panel and rebooted.

Additionally, the menu editor does not show "Oracle Java 8 Mission Control" under Development, but the menu itself does.

check the global directory:
/usr/share/applications/

Yes, as I mentioned I checked there, nothing related to JDK 8, only JDK 9.

Best distro for nvidia drivers ? I'm sick of blackscreens and failed driver installations

lennart poettering is a retarded idiot and wont rest until the entire ecosystem is dependant on and locked into his complete trash-tier monolithic "init" with a fucking web server in it

almost anything debian/ubuntu/fedora based uses systemd and most arch based. install gentoo or void

dont play into poetterings illuminati conspiracy. any distro with systemd is jew-tier

ooboontoo

You can also try debian. Note that if you choose stable you might have to look for the latest drivers in backports. I have good experiences with debian and novidya drivers.

bump. Are you fucks only jacking off on ricing 'epic' minimalist system or being an exclusive code monkey? Any of you that creates content?

how do i properly assign 4 cores/8 threads to a vm? i set it to that in vm manager and it only gives me 1 core when i boot

That attitude is not going to get your questions answered any sooner friend.

Is there a way to modify the aur Makefiles in /tmp/ and continue the installation with the modified makefile? each time it gets rewritten, tried chmod -x but it gets +x on owner each time

-w +w

Ubuntu or OpenSUSE

- using xubuntu 16.04
- want to use Eclipse IDE for C++
- Since Eclipse in ubuntu repositories is beyond retard (uses old as fuck version), I downloaded from eclipse site. But it got me binary version to un it directly.
- At the moment I am storing it inside ~/eclipse/ and keeping shortcut to desktop.
- Already had user-defined build commands and working with it so far.

Questions:
- Why my autism is bothering with keeping eclipse binary inside home directory.
-- Is there a way to install it like any other package, so it could be manageable from app manager?
- Does Xubuntu support providing icon for link (shortcut)? GUI only shows me to apply emblem.

I would really appreciate any input. This problem obviously doesn't really affect anything but the fact that I cannot fix it or find the cause is making me go crazy.

Time to switch to a non-outdated GNU+Linux distribution.

Fresh install of Ubuntu 17.10 on Thinkpad X201 and the wifi is crawling. None of the fixes on Google seem to work.

Do you guys have any knowledge about this or should I just hop to another distro? It was working fine on Fedora.

is there a way to prevent myself from creating filenames unreadable for Windows clients other than using self control?

Every once in a while i leave a trailing space in a directory on my NAS, or a "reserved character" sneaks its way into a file name.

I know I can be more careful, I can do periodic searches to find when I've done this, but is there a way I can prevent it from occurring in the first place?

some obscure NFS mount option perhaps? I couldn't find many people discussing this.

what were your google fixes?

On my T420, I always end up needing to enable antenna aggregation myself.

there's a few more steps you can try here, along with antenna aggregation steps:
support.system76.com/articles/wireless/

sudo modprobe -r rt2800pci
sudo modprobe -v rt2800 pci nohwcrypt=1

and

askubuntu.com/questions/905288/extremely-slow-connection-after-17-04-update

>Why my autism is bothering with keeping eclipse binary inside home directory.
Probably because that is weird. I would generally put that sort of thing in /opt/. Also it seems Eclipse offers a download of the .tar, when I unpack I .tar I then delete the tar and the install folder, if it created one, because you do not need them anymore.

If you say the Eclipse in the Ubuntu repositories is beyond old then that is the version that would be in the software manager.

If Eclipse is not showing up in the Applications menu then you may have to create a .desktop shortcut, can keep it in /usr/share/applications I believe: askubuntu.com/questions/854373/how-to-create-a-desktop-shortcut

I'm using Mint 18.3 Cinnamon. I just noticed this piece of shit file manager can't search anything other than "file type" in the dropdown window. Is this normal or have I fucked something up?

What is the accepted way of pooling several hard disks together? I'd like to end up with 2 large volumes, one backing up the other. I was thinking 8x3tb drives and larger ones for backup.

Poor sod, he will never truly appreciate Rick & Morty...

raid 0+1?

What appb is that? Doesn't look like Clover/Dashchan

I'm a beginner to linux. I want to dualboot a linux distro with my existing os. Is it recommended that I buy another hard drive for this? I have about 600 gbs of free space on my current drive. What distro should I use? Is clover os a meme?

If disk redundancy isn't that important should I just stripe/span them? People keep putting me off raid5 because muh rebuild failures but I will have a full backup anyway and using all those disks without taking advantage of the speed that raid can offer would be a shame imo.

If the data on your disks have 0 importance and everything with value is backed up then you can go raid0 meme.
I find Raid5 an overkill for home use desu.

>is clover os a meme?
yes

>I find Raid5 an overkill for home use desu.
In what way? For me it gives me the cost capacity, nice read speed bump and even tolerate a drive failure. Raid1 or raid10 gets fucking expensive quickly for how much storage you end up with.

"home use", I am talking about how most people use their computers.
Where you really need redundancy and drive failure tolerance is no longer a home use (even if we are talking about your server in the next room).
Anyway, you know the deal:
>opinions

What did Linus Tech Tips mean by this?

-no need for a new hard disk. Every modern gnu+linux distros installer can resize your windows partitions safely. If you cut from the end of your drive, even the operation is just a few seconds. The resizer will move any data from there to an earlier position to free space.
-600GB is a lot, just give like 50-100GB for gnu/linux so you can install as many stuff as you want, maybe even a few steam games if you game.
-start with ubuntu or variants (kubuntu, xubuntu, lubuntu, ubuntu-mate). Google an image of them and decide which looks good for you. If you make up your mind later you can install the other version by installing a simple metapackage, no need for reinstall. There are two ubuntu versions available: 16.04 LTS and 17.10. Go with the long term supported and stable LTS version.
-cloverOS is a meme.

pandoc's flavour of Markdown does, and then you can run it through pandoc to generate a PDF.

Anyone using Mint around here? Can I get a simple screenshot of how it looks on your install?

Not opening that shit but I'm pretty sure Linus is married.

h-helo, I would like some help on picking my first linux distro!
Which one is the reccomended that works for entry level?

(Also, I will be dualbooting with windows 10)

VimFX was way better than any other similar add-on. Now I can't use it because of the damn WebExtensions bullshit.

see

freebsD

Mint (Cinnamon) for a Windows-Like experience or Ubuntu for something a bit different. Mint is based on Ubuntu so tutorials for Ubuntu work on it 99% of the time.

if which systemctl >/dev/null 2>&1; then printf 'Your distro uses systemd.\n'; else printf 'Your distro does not use systemd.\n'; fi

thank you!

When SIGLINUX invited me to speak, it was a “Linux User Group”; that is, a group for users of the GNU/Linux system which calls the whole system “Linux”. So I replied politely that if they'd like someone from the GNU Project to give a speech for them, they ought to treat the GNU Project right, and call the system “GNU/Linux”. The system is a variant of GNU, and the GNU Project is its principal developer, so social convention says to call it by the name we chose. Unless there are powerful reasons for an exception, I usually decline to give speeches for organizations that won't give GNU proper credit in this way. I respect their freedom of speech, but I also have the freedom not to give a speech.

>-- Is there a way to install it like any other package, so it could be manageable from app manager?
I don't know what you mean by app manager, but if you want it to show up in menus and stuff, just add a .desktop file for it to ~/.local/applications/. You can look at your distro's packaged .desktop file for the old Eclipse as inspiration.

ranger, ncdu, cmus, pulsemixer, also some programs have a choice between emacs/vim-like bindings, such as tmux or your shell. Most default to emacs-like, since it is somewhat more "normal".

Most distros have switched to it by now.
Distros that come without it:
>void
>pclinuxos
>artix
>devuan
>gentoo (I think, it at least has the option)
>parabola (there is a separate beta download that uses openrc)
There are some distros where you can technically change from systemd to something else, but generally it is so deeply ingrained in the OS if it's installed, that it's not worth it. It is one of the few valid reasons to switch distros. (others are package manager, how up-to-date things are)

I hope this helps. I use void, and highly recommend it, but it's not necessarily better than the other things in the list. All packages being compiled with libressl instead of openssl is a pretty big deal, but if you don't care about that, anything from the list should be fine. I've been meaning to give Gentoo a serious shot since I'm not exactly a beginner anymore.

There are a lot of free software options of varying quality for music production. If you accept that you'll have to learn things from scratch, it's not so bad. If that pains you, things will be difficult. As far as non-free stuff goes, there is bitwig studio, which I hear basically an FL Studio clone. I recommend trying out a few of the free options first. There are plenty of lists online of DAWs on GNU/Linux. This is something I've looked up a few times for a friend that makes music, but in the end he settled for still mainly using Windows, and putting GNU/Linux on a second machine to play around with.

Looks like you already got an answer, but I wanted to also say that Luke Smith uses vim + latex and has some decent YouTube videos on the subject.

>no buffer list like in vimperator
dropped

I don't use a DE with a start menu, so I'm kind of taking a shot in the dark here, but there's a good chance that it's pulling in .desktop files, which I think are in your "desktop" folder in your home folder. If that doesn't solve it, I'd recommend using the find or locate commands to just search for all files with the name of one of those programs. If it's not installed anymore, hopefully you won't get many results, and the results will include whatever files the start menu uses.

Nvidia is the worst and least stable software I've used on GNU/Linux. The second worse is Steam. If you are aiming to play games with an Nvidia GPU, you will probably suffer quite a bit. Even when everything is (((Working))), there are long-unfixed bugs, like TTY resolution not working properly, also TTYs won't mirror across monitors as they are supposed to. The free nvidia driver sucks because nvidia won't cooperate like AMD does. If you plan to stick with GNU/Linux longterm, give some serious thought to using either Intel or AMD graphics.

Have you made sure vt-d or the AMD equivalent is enabled in your BIOS? I know this matters for running a 64bit VM, I can't remember if it affects anything else.