I just got a job as a react/nodejs developer, been there a week...

I just got a job as a react/nodejs developer, been there a week. I'm trying to familiarize myself with their code base so I can be up and running faster, it's extremely dense though and so far it's been hard to map everything out mentally. Are there any agreed-upon best ways to quickly get oneself up to speed when going into a new code base? If there was a tool to map out code sections in a tree visually that would be ideal I think

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_analyst
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>If there was a tool to map out code sections in a tree visually that would be ideal I think
I believe it is called ``Pen & Paper'', you dipshit.

Nice!

>react/nodejs
have you tried rebooting your computer lately sir
it helps the compiler to find the proper registers when the memory is clogged for long use
my professional suggestion would also be, sir, to use a code editor program compiled in a similar language as you want to use it for
i would suggest atom for you sir
thank you i will take bobs and vegna from the girl in the picture thanks

with less autistic rage please. If you can describe something as being "pen and paper" then there definitely should be a program out there that handles the same functionality

Can confirm. I use Atom and it's crazily good.

thank you sir for confirming my professional opinion
now please put the bobs and vegna of the girl

In my experience with jobs that have big code bases, it's best to just focus on the the parts that are directly tied to your project, and have a high-level idea of what everything else does. Otherwise it will take you weeks to understand everything and most of it won't matter to you.

she programs good

Just ask for documentation, duh.

If they don't have any it's best to quit.

Holy ASSFLAT Batman

>Delet codbeys
>Mek nuw codbas
>qhuastin mork
>praft examaltion murk

/thread

>If they don't have any it's best to quit.
No. 99% os companies have no documentation. It's not a matter of choice.

When we had the Systems Analysts and the Programmers, the Systems Analyst would document everything. Well, this was their job. Now with the Developer thing, they tried to cut costs and mix everything in a code Smith, and this is the result: "developers" are indeed programmers.

>Systems Analysts
Never heard about that?

are you dumb? there's any number of different visual diagrams you can create depending on the context. if you just want to mind map then break the code segments into front and back end and go into more finer detail from there

That a man?

amateurs

cd..
cd code
cd..
cd\
cd..
cd code

Are you using redux?

>co-worker asks me about the code
>user where's the code you wrote that does X+Y, I need one that does X+Z
>literally point finger at the method
>thanks man
>copy-pastes 150 lines of code and changes about 5 lines total
>leaves comments he copied despite them not being relevant in the abomination he created

Usually it's looking at the data model, for the main data you're working on. It's complex. Usually they've got one already, and you can look at it.

Sorry, maybe this is the language barrier in action. I translated directly from Portuguese. IDK how you called the guy upthere. Or maybe you're not old enough. Well, I foundnthe term on wikipedia, but idk if it's and england thing.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_analyst
Anyway, this guy would make interviews, analyse the problem, dissect it in descriptions, graphs, whatever needed and give the programmer a natural language version of the code. It was a rigid structure, maybe too much for nowadays, but at least everything was documented.

am going through this myself now.

my strategy is to follow the data model. reading the code that underpins this will get you to start thinking about the flow of things and give you context to areas you may overlook but are critical.

also write tests. offer to write tests for areas of the code base that don’t have any or that need updating. writing the tests helps so much to wrap your head around the workings of the various methods and class structures. in many ways it’s as good as writing the actual code your testing in terms of understanding and ownership

The silver searcher will save your fucking life, believe me, use silver searcher and a vim plugin like fzf.vim

it will save your life

In visual mode ?

i wanna cum on her