Initial release date: August 16, 1993

>Not bloat
Iso image of the net installer is 300 something mb

>Website isn't cancerous what so ever
Compare other gnu/linux distro websites to debian.org

Great wiki
wiki.debian.org/Xinitrc
wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse
wiki.debian.org/Uncomplicated Firewall (ufw)
wiki.debian.org/wl
etc etc etc

>Most friendly userbase

>Lots of distros based off of Debian
Ubuntu and mint leech the shit out of debian

Don't say debian has old packages or it has systemd in it.
If you don't like systemd use gentoo or void.

etc etc etc etc etc

Other urls found in this thread:

privacytools.io/#os
without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_jessie/sid_installation
wiki.debian.org/SupportedArchitectures
packages.debian.org/search?keywords=firmware-iwlwifi
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=819703
igurublog.wordpress.com/2014/04/08/julian-assange-debian-is-owned-by-the-nsa/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Prove me wrong

Oh and the most important point
Logo looks fucking sick

I kinda and kinda don't agree. I like it as a server operating system, but the default GNOME gives me cancer. Also I have seen quite a lot of bloat on Debian.

It's just Ubuntu but worse at this point. Let it go.

debian is honestly the best distro. Arch and gentoo are memes and redhat is gay

ubuntu also contributes, they're not leechers

/thread

Debian gays, where you at?

Why in the fuck would you use a fucking DE? Are you a newfag? DE is bloat. Use i3 or dwm

Isn't Slackware older?

What about Gentoo?

Ubangoo retards in denial. kys

i'm gay and use debian!

Gentoo and debian are the only distros that aren't cancer what so ever

Normal user: debian
Very very advanced user: gentoo

>systemd
no
Use Devuan

yay!

Can you remove systemd from Debian?

Literally covered every point

>If you don't like systemd use gentoo or void.

>Daily reminder that if you use Debian Testing, you're doing it wrong.

even privacy tools suggests it

privacytools.io/#os

buster is the normal up to date now

I use it, but its mainly because i've been using it since I got into linux 15 or so years ago. Its just comfy, not sure if its the best.

without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_remove_systemd_from_a_Debian_jessie/sid_installation

I use Debian though, for like 3 years already

>kys
learn to insult, you fucking retarde homosexual

I would also add:
>supports (and always have) more architectures than literally any other distro: wiki.debian.org/SupportedArchitectures
>credits GNU in its name
>one of maybe 3 distributions that actually matter on production servers
>100% community driven

It's extremly painful

How old are you. it is the best user

I've been using it forever on my vps.

Its ok, but the package manager is quite shit in all incarnations and so is debuild, pbuilder & friends.

>Don't say debian has old packages

>retarde
kys

This. I got started with Debian in the late 90s and used it long enough that nothing else was comfy. Can't really do a fair comparison to other distros because it's all reflex now.

you're a big guy

Have you created .deb and thought: Well this method makes fucking sense? Because I definitely haven't thought that. Debian's way is nonsense.

Its the best server OS. It beats Ubuntu LTS for that too.

But for DE, it fails.

>Stable is too outdated
> Testing doesn't get security updates.
> Unstable can have bugs that ruin workflow.

I use Ubuntu LTS on my laptop, but my servers all run Debian Stable.

I'm 30, got into Linux in HS. I had the boxed version of SUSE and a cd with Debian. Debian just made more sense to me personally. I actually like apt. D=

I settled with Debian in 1999 after a brief period of using Red Hat (my first Linux distro) and Slackware (my "I'm a 7337 H4XX0R now" phase). Have been using Debian on all my home machines and servers ever since. Never had a single reason to even consider switching.

2^2u

looks like ur mums anus

>virtualbox
fuck off

Debian is like Arch, another community project
Community project are well know for splitting effort because of some political concern, two communitie can hate each other and don't work together

SUSE and RedHat do Linux the proper way, generate a economy that can sustain not only their project but also other FOSS project like Debian.
They don't have political concern, they want to make money so they have interest of making Linux better.
They were the first to find out that open source is benefic to IT market and there are pushing it forward since, but they are not big-data bitches like Google.

In that time Debian and Arch dev are talking about muh bloat and systemd.

My cisco teacher in HS gave me so much shit for going the Debian route. He was very much a redhat guy.

Gentoo is a source distribution, it's not even comparable to Debian, and Void is rolling release which means you're fucked if you need a stable environment
As expected of a lennartware brainlet, you can't even understand the differences between those distributions

>he thinks desktops are relevant to a distro
stay neet

+ its because of them that Linux can be see like a serious OS

Another proof that nobody runs Linux outside of shitty riced VMs

>Debian's way is nonsense.
Entirely possible, it's just the way I'm used to. Every other distro had me at some point going outside the ecosystem to find what I needed. Debian has always had a way to get things done, even if it did feel convoluted.

>Biggest repos ever
and mostly outdated crap

Why use a computer, moron
I like having the DE do the simple shit so I don't have to
KDE is nice af

You don't even remotely get it, do you?

it's not bad but ubuntu has newer packages. you wont be running the newest gnome with wayland in debian.

>using a config that delay your workflow because you fell for the bloat meme
>implying every modern OS put money into UX dev for no reason

>modern OS put money into UX dev for no reason
The reason was normies. Where do you think you are?

>feeling superior because you browse an anime image board

off topic but does anyone else like really stupid terminal commands?

sorry for the stupid question, but does wifi works out of the box on netinst+nonfree debian?

With everything but broadcom cancer.

Depends. The netinst will yell at you if you're using certain hardware.
Worst case scenario, finish the install with a direct Ethernet connection, add the non-free repo and grab your firmware post install.
You could also place the firmware on a flash drive and pop that in during the installation process.

>>Website isn't cancerous what so ever
the Debian's website is exaclty why I would never recommend Debian to someone that show me interest in Linux ("normie" or not).
Come on it's shit, on top of that Debian have several iso that you must choose wisealy, and instead of a clear UI we got literally a wikipedia page to read.

I always used Debian for my servers. Most of them with xfce installed, default runlevel 3 ofcourse.
Last week I finally installed it on my laptop, having had enough of Windows and its malicious features. As I wanted it to look good I installed it with KDE. It was a complete mess. buggy graphics and strange mouse moments. It was horrible. Then I tried Cinnamon, which is nice. I am satisfied.

KDE works good on other distro it's Debian mainteners that are incompetant

I need to install a new distro on my x200, pretty sure it will work. thanks though user

>1621 packages
> OP says it's not bloated

telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl

he is using the regular iso.

Might need this pkg, my friend: packages.debian.org/search?keywords=firmware-iwlwifi
At least I needed it. I'm running Buster on my x200t.

I used the net iso. I guess most of the bloat is in Cinamon,

Why? Headless CentOS is the way to go with servers.

>bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=819703
why are debian users so retarded?

this

Debian is stable secure and functional. its user base is great and its wiki too. And in case i cant find a solution, I can even reference Ubuntu doc's

google it if you don't trust it

I used to use Debian but now I just use Ubuntu.

Why downgrade?

I didn't switch directly. I went to Gentoo, and then I went to Ubuntu instead of back to Debian because it had a less barebones installation and a large community.

I also noticed it started using Wayland and wanted to give feedback and report bugs.

thanks

Is it t60?

I've been meaning to give it a go, but getting virtualbox guestutils to work with debian is a fucking nightmare.

N-no problem, user.
Us Debian users gotta look out for one another, no?

more like, literally the most botnet distro ever:
igurublog.wordpress.com/2014/04/08/julian-assange-debian-is-owned-by-the-nsa/

>using GNOME

I started with CentOS because that’s what hosting companies push most of the time.

Been transitioning to a Debian server. I was able to upgrade to the latest version easily. CentOS sucks donkey balls and can’t even upgrade without being nuked and totally reinstalled.

Debian has been stable and solid, able to install and do anything needed. The only drawback is some things are not the latest update for some software because they take their time and focus on stability and reliability rather than pushing for every new gimmick ASAP.

For me, I have no problem with that, I agree with the Debian philosophy of light weight bloat-free, install only as needed any software in the basis of functionality and achieve legendary stability.

Debian Linux is best Linux.

>Prove me wrong
I would if I could

I use Fedora on one machine, and Ubuntu on another. Pretty new to linux but it's been pretty interesting learning how to do things using the terminal

of course

Reporting in!

debian as workstation
centOS as server

Nice desktop!
Cute boys too
also,
>herb slut wm

You newfags better fucking use debian and not some fucking meme distro like ubuntu or arch

Yup. By one month

k grandpa

i'll bite
What fucking distro do you use?

My dick is soo hard right now.

Mine too, OwO

Use dwm cunt.

why?

franken uses less dedotated wam