Sup Forums memes

Is SICP a meme?

I am working as Java Spring/Hibernate developer.

Am I going to gain anything from reading this?

Is it supposed to be treated as modern cs sci book or as historic novelty?

Other urls found in this thread:

gitbook.com/book/wizardforcel/sicp-in-python/details
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Acquire some profound knowledge or stay a brainlet. There are people who just want to get their job done (and that is fine) and there are those who continuousely seek new knowledge. SICP is a very good first step.

SICP builds up your knowledge of programming from nothing. At each step it introduces new concepts and explores different features of programming languages from objects to laziness.

Hello
Brainlet here

Is lambda calculus programming knowledge applicable in modern turing machine pc?

Read it but remember Eva Lu is my waifu.

Read it, but don't bother with learning (((LISP))), use Python. The authors would use it too, if it was available at the time. When learning theoretical concepts syntax should not stand in your way.

I've read universities are now using python instead of SICP

gitbook.com/book/wizardforcel/sicp-in-python/details

yes, see the functional languages

I tried reading it but it becomes a little too abstract for me pretty early on. I was seriously wondering what the fuck the author was trying to tell me.

Stanford moved from python to js in intro programming for non cs students

Scheme barely has any syntax to bother with

If you're interested in leaning more about the beauty of computer science, then yeah absolutely. But it won't help you getting your code monkey work done any faster.

'kin 'ell, I could not even touch 8086 assembly, let alone C until I learnt how to make logic gates from flip flops

You don't need books to learn programming, that's what w3schools, khanacademy,gtihub and stackoverflow are for. Regardless, SICP is one of the best books out there for both amateurs and experienced professional programmers - unless most books it is not a programming cookbook, it's an enlightenment initiation rite to automagical programming.

>Python

I think SICP is great for expereienced programmers.
It starts programming from the scratch, but it give you a fresh view on some topics. And it''s very well written.

Fuck no.
Avoid Python like the plague.

>Avoid Python like the plague.
Any good reason you say that?

Low IQ

spaces > tabs

fuck off with you lebbit meme harvest thread

You'd gain more by reading pic related.

>Is SICP a meme?
Yes.
>I am working as Java Spring/Hibernate developer.
>Am I going to gain anything from reading this?
Yes, but what good of a measure is that?
>Is it supposed to be treated as modern cs sci book or as historic novelty?

>been doing OOP for over a decade
>been doing OOP in javascript for about a decade even though it's supposedly not an OOP supportive language
Read SICP, it covers OOP in about two or three pages.

No it's not, 10/10 meme of the year.

SICP is timeless classic. It doesn't just teach you scheme but it also teaches you the underlying principles of programming, so the knowledge you gain from this book can be applied to *any* programming language. Scheme is wonderful teaching language because it's small language, it wont distract you with unimportant details.