Speedtest thread

beta.speedtest.net
what've you got g?

Other urls found in this thread:

o-net.ca/
beta.speedtest.net/result/6869479136
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I pay for 940/880 but during evening hours the download is usually a bit lower.

After midnight I can usually hit 850-945mbps

tfw only option in my area unless i move to a town over to have slightly better internet

1gig up/down for 126 cdn pesos a month

$80/mo for gig/10mbps.

Olds has fibre?

Yup called O-Net o-net.ca/
only reason I live here to be honest

That's hilarious

Internet junkies gotta get that speed man!

50€/mo, it's the best you can get in France

woops meant to reply to OP, i'll see myself out

To say this is shared between 16 people, it's surprisingly not bad.

12 EUR a month
its enough

Fucking bullshit.
I'm supposed to have 350/50.
I just tried youtube-dl and it showed 40MB/s.

I hope you're trolling
40MB/s is 320mbps.

Included in the rent for my student apartment, so I can't complain

AHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

you are a fucking moron

350mb = 350 megaBITS per second.

Not bytes.

350 megabtyes a second isn't even possible in the wire unles you have 10gb cabling and the necessary hardware, or 3 nics fully teamed

>320mbps
If we're attempting to be precise here, you mean 320 Mbps, unless you're referring to IP over carrier pigeon.

Since there isn't a unit that uses "m" using "m" or "M" is acceptable.

If you wanted to denote mebibits or mebibytes you'd use "Mi not "m".

whats up with that up down ratio

pls no bully

why is this allowed? why can't we expect at least 10:1 ratio to be the norm?

And the speed test shows 600Mb/s and 180Mb/s.
You tried so hard and you only proved you are fucking retarded.

should be 1:1 or 2:1. Anything beyond 5:1 is retarded.

...so you're a retard then?
Do you expect to get MORE bandwidth than what you pay for?

With speedtests they're generally going to be artificially high because their ENTIRE purpose is to provide good speedtest results.

With actual real world downloads, you're running into ACTUAL fucking traffic. Not just a speedtest server that is waiting to deliver bandwidth to you.

Actual real world use seeing 320mbps when you pay for 350mbps is pretty much as good as it gets.

Stop being a fucking idiot.

>what is milli
Sure it's not commonly used in bandwidth specifications, but if your point was to demonstrate the difference between B and b in units, it makes sense to be consistent with M and m.

what do you mean not commonly used? It's not an official byte prefix at all by ANY standards organization.

>not an official byte prefix
The whole point of the SI prefixes is that you can apply them to any unit. But I guess you're a burger, then, who has zero appreciation of the SI system.

It's not commonly used because it isn't recognized by any standards organization in the world. Therefore it ISN'T used and isn't something you should be concerned about as anyone using it obviously isn't involved in networking at all and is just an uneducated moron trying to apply their half baked knowledge to all fields.

See

nice ip faggot

SI is used for decimal prefixes

IEC or JEDEC are used for binary prefixes.

Bandwidth specifications don't use binary prefix. 100 Mb/s means 10^8 bits per second, not 100 * 2^20 bits per second.

Then what's the point of the IEC standards?

I'm not sure exactly what standards document you're speaking of, but I'm sure it does useful things, rather than just reiterating the SI prefixes.

literally the entire standards industry has already decided what to use, and "m" is not part of it.

mbps or mBps or MBps or Mbps are ALL acceptable.

The only important thing to denote is the B or b.

See . Bandwidth specs don't use binary prefixes.

Outside of a lab, you'll never run into less than a single bit, so why the fuck are you even being this pedantic?

To literally 99.999999% of people in the world millibits DONT exist. And they never will.

Honestly your entire argument is "well uhh technically im right"

ignoring the fact millibites has never once been used as an official scale for measuring bandwidth by literally ANYONE in the history of computers outside of a few PhD students in labs.

~8$
beta.speedtest.net/result/6869479136

Millibits doesn't necessarily mean literal parts of a bit -- you can simply speak of millibits per second to measure bandwidths slower than one bit per second, and there certainly are fields and applications where that is a thing. Point being, again, that if you're going out of your way to differentiate between B and b, you should be consistent with M and m as well, since both have meaning, and even if it doesn't introduce confusion in your specific usecase here and now, that's the same attitude that caused confusing between B and b.

>I'm getting more than I pay for
pure wizardry

>since both have meaning
They literally dont unless you're sitting in the lab speaking with someone on this particular subject, outside of that niche scenario i can pretty much guarantee there isn't a single person in the WORLD who would be confused by using mbps instead of Mbps. or mBps instead of MBps.

do you know what pedantry is? You fit that word like an old glove.

Paying $32 for 1000/200.

It's alright, but there are better deals in some other areas over here.

>i don't care one bit about the si system or its prefixes
Burger it was.

>tfw getting slightly more than what I pay for

It's not just me faggot, walk into ANY data center in europe and you'd be laughed out the door if you started giving people shit for not using the proper M in mbps.

I have been working in networking for almost 2 decades and i've NEVER had anyone ever use mbps to refer to millibits. It just isn't done and I would never expect a little m to denote anything besides mega in regards to network bandwidth.

I don't know any colleagues who would either. It just isn't used ever.

Why are you even getting mad? Why do you laugh upon consistency? Is consistency a bad thing for you, user? Do you like using the wrong terms just for the fuck of it? Is it truly bothersome to you to type an M instead of an m and actually be correct, even if it isn't a huge issue?

Is it bothersome? No. But it's never going to happen.

context is useful for these situations, and pretty much anyone but an autistic pedant would understand this.

Your lack of social skills is really your hold up here.

not at home but I have 65mb/s from Spectrum/Time Warner. Before a couple months ago I had fucking 10mb/s from Verizon DSL. Holy fucking shit it feels good

>But it's never going to happen.
Because then you wouldn't get to keep your bad attitude, which is very important to you, amirite?

No, because the WORLD doesn't recognize a difference between m and M when talking about bandwidth.

No matter how much you want to pretend there is a difference, to the rest of the world there simply isnt. You can personally do whatever you want in your life, but if you ever get a job in this field you'll probably get fired if you ever bring up shit like this to a boss or customer. No one in the real world cares because literally no one uses millibits and arguing for it's proper denotation is fruitless.

>when talking about bandwidth
As I said, the SI prefixes are universal, and you can apply them to anything. Why are you insisting the bandwidth measurements are the only thing that matters? The only thing that attitude tells me is that you live in a part of the world that doesn't use SI prefixes for anything else (unless you're an actual engineer or scientist). Coincidentally, there's only one such part of the world.

>you can apply them to anything
and you'll be laughed at for using a convention that NO ONE USES.

I don't care if the Si prefixes are universal, they're NOT used in that sense in networking. Anything less than a bit is simply not worth mentioning outside of the lab or SUPER niche scenarios involving NYSE trading computers and shit.

K

>they're NOT used in that sense in networking
Whyever would you want to use them in a different sense in networking than for everything else? Why would you go out of your way to use the prefixes in inconsistent ways?

His point isn't that you're wrong, his point is that it's irrelevant to the conversation. There isn't a single instance where someone could potentially get confused as to which m you meant to use. In pretty much 99% of all scenarios it's going to mean mega, not milli, and the situations where it DOES mean milli, you're going to know about it ahead of time due to the fact you're dealing with millibits and just to measure that little amount of data requires very specific tools.

See . Do you actually dislike consistency, user? Is your life made better by small inconsistencies here and there?

I'm not saying you CAN'T use millibits, simply no one is going to differentiate m and M for you in real life.

Do it for yourself personally if that's what you want to do. But if you expect it from others you're an idiot.

Wew, you're missing the point user. The other dude is right, you're just an autistic pedant.

Also, mind you, I wouldn't normally complain if you were to write mbps in some internal memo or anything. But the post I originally replied to was one making a point about B being different from b. In such a context, it makes particular sense to be consistent about casing.

Nice Orange

>the post I originally replied to was one making a point about B being different from b. In such a context, it makes particular sense to be consistent about casing.

why?

Give me any reason besides
>well it's technically right

Tell me why it should be denoted from a practical perspective.

The entire computer science world understands mbps or Mbps to mean the same thing, even among computer science PhDs you'd be unlikely to find someone who would ACTUALLY assume (in real life, not some fantasy of yours) someone meant millibits and not megabits.

You're basically making up scenarios in which it COULD be applicable but simply isn't in real life.

probably a loose cable somewhere because i was moving things around the modem and may have hit the cables.

hello darkness my old friend

>Tell me why it should be denoted from a practical perspective.
If you're going to make an explicit point about casing in one place and completely disregard it in the character right next to it, that's just blatantly inconsistent. I'm obviously not saying that someone's actually going to misunderstand in real life and think you're speaking of millibits per second, but when you're making a case about the correctness of casing, it makes sense to actually use correct casing.

it makes sense to use correct casing WHEN IT ACTUALLY DENOTES SOMETHING

mbps or Mbps are the SAME THING.

mBps and MBps are the SAME THING

it makes sense to denote the B or b because those ACTUALLY matter.

>WHEN IT ACTUALLY DENOTES SOMETHING
Which it does. M and m are different SI prefixes.

Seems to me like you're trying to justify being wrong.

Case insensitive systems makes people lazy I guess.

>it makes sense to use correct casing WHEN IT ACTUALLY DENOTES SOMETHING
Correct. I agree 100%.

m == milli
M == mega

It doesn't in the real world as has already been discussed.

Give me a single scenario where m and M need to be denoted and i'll go ahead and stop. But the simple fact is outside of a lab setting or super niche shit where you already know going in you're dealing with millibits. Outside of that there is no reason to denote a difference. Literally zero reasons.

>mbps or Mbps are the SAME THING.
>mBps and MBps are the SAME THING
They are literally not. It may not make a difference in most practical situations, but -- again -- when you're making an explicit point about correct casing and how it matters, it is ugly and inconsistent to use incorrect casing in the letter right next to one that you're making your point about. It's like trying to explain the importance of correct grammars and nice wording in leetspeak.

Okay, now tell me when was the last time you measure something in millibits?

How about the last time you saw someone else using the word?

Have you EVER even seen millibits measured in your LIFE?

>implying that normies know that MB and Mb are different things

God damn am I glad you morons don't actually have jobs in this field. You'd never manage an entire conversation with a customer because you'd be sperging out about their word choice not being proper for the highly technical thing they're discussing and have no formal training in.

>Give me a single scenario where m and M need to be denoted

Millivolts vs megavolts
Milliamperes vs megaamperes
Milliwatts vs megawatts
Millimeters vs megameters
Milliseconds vs megaseconds

The only place where it doesn't "normally" matter is networking, and it doesn't warrant being a special snowflake.

>Give me a single scenario where m and M need to be denoted and i'll go ahead and stop
At any point where you have to enter a value, and you expect a computer to parse that value. m and M means different things, and the computer will parse them differently. Being lazy because people understand what you really mean isn't a good enough excuse.

Saying m when you mean M is lazy, and there is no excuse.

Never. But if I wrote software that had to deal with user input. Having to make a special case for lower case m is a bit of a pain.

>because you'd be sperging out about their word choice
How many times am I going to have to explain that I wouldn't care in everyday situations. Please reread and .

Again nigger, Si prefixes are perfectly fine. I have nothing against them.

What I DO have something against is autistic morons thinking it has ANY relevance in bandwidth.

Once you go under 1 bit you've lost ALL relevance to the actual fucking point of measuring bandwidth.

>What I DO have something against is autistic morons thinking it has ANY relevance in bandwidth.
Networking is not special. Your little special scenario don't warrant being different.

You seem to think sperging on an imageboard and actually working at a helpdesk is the same thing. They're not. You can be as pedantic as you want on a sperg containment site, but when working with people, you tend to understand what they meant, and if something wrong happened because of your assumption, you just say you assumed they meant something else. No harm done.

Sup Forums is not an example how people act when dealing with others face to face. Unless you're one of the people that spout memes in public I guess.

yeah, a situation where you'll never in your life run into measuring less than a single bit TOTALLY isn't a scenario where it makes sense to ignore things like millibits.

Seriously end your life, you'll make the world a better place because of it.

it was. now its working properly.

A nuclear physicist would also "normally" only measure megaelectronsvolts. Do you think he's going to be writing "meV" despite that?

Reread , and again.

Better call up pretty much every ISP around the world then as almost none of them advertise with proper denotation of their M's.

Certainly no ISP in my area uses anything but M.

>beta.speedtest.net
>beta
I'm not from the US/UK, though. Where's the alpha speed test?

>marketing people ever getting anything right
That's not really a great mark of excellence.

For years Comcast had MBPS on all their adverts.

Do you think they were offering megabytes per second?

Beta site uses HTML5, legacy site uses Flash.

They're also known for throttling downloads, so anything is possible with comcast.

just kill me already