Routers

I can't take the shitbox that Virgin supplies any more.

Router recommendations?

I bought myself a Mikrotik HAPlite to replace my Virgin superhub 2.

Wifi is now much more reliable, I have a VPN into my home network and I can actually set my own DNS server.

RT-N66U

Pic related is pretty good. Nice openness too.

still stuck with shithub forever senpaitachi
you don't know what its doing to your traffic
wish they let you use your own modem desu

>RT-N66U
this

but which 'super' hub do you have? The version 3.0 is pretty good in my experience, and I've owned all versions so far. 1 & 2 were shite.

Often the WiFi won't penetrate a single wall.

Not that I need one or know if they are any good or not but am I the only one that just likes the fact they have embraced a bit of their classic look in the style of their routers again? It's pretty iconic at this point. I mean props for just that but if they suck can't overlook that obviously.

>Buy 300 Linksys router
>5 GHz band drops at least 3 times a day, requiring a reset
Jesus, you'd think there would be a bit more quality control with these things. Too lazy to RMA

Maybe I'll avoid Linksys, then. Any recommendations?

ASUS had a really nice vanilla firmware, in my opinion.

Also thinking of buying one of these linksys
The shitty huawei provided by my ISP (A1) kind of sucks and you literally can't configure shit (just about the only thing you CAN configure is wifi SSID and WPA2 password)
Would still use my 10 year old Buffallo one running DD-WRT, but it just can't keep up anymore in terms of speed (shitty CPU is severely limiting it)

i have the netgear nighthawk x6 ac3000 version.

got it bundled with the nighthawk range extender cause some guy was selling both on CL for $100 total. fucking steal

its pretty good

Im using an 80 dollar motorola router from bestbuy. Never had an issue with it

>Mikrotik hAP

This. Better yet, a separate router and wAP ac.
You do kinda need a neckbeard to make sense of Mikrotik's full UI, but their code is the most solid of everything I've used, including enterprise grade Cisco shit.

Get one of these dudes

TP-Link is a lottery, some models are fine and some are buggy as fuck. Although they're better than D-Link at least.

Ubiquiti

Thats literally what I bought last night for $50. Installed lede and now trying to install some ad blocking software.

pfsense + UniFi AP

anything else is just a retarded choice

I have an RT-N66U, the Asusrt-Merlin firmware for it is pretty neat, although your best bet is probably trying to grab one for £50 or so on eBay.

Alternatively, if you want to buy new, I think Amazon.co.uk and Maplin are doing the Netgear R7000 for £60 since a couple of days ago, and someone's actually ported Asuswrt-Merlin to it (search for xwrt-vortex) and you can also install DD-WRT and AdvancedTomato on both.

RT-N66U has a 600mhz mips processor, the R7000 a 1Ghz dual core ARM processor. The R7000 also has a USB3 port which might be useful if you want to attach an external hard drive to it for a ghetto NAS setup.

My only criticism so far with my RT-N66U is that CPU usage jumps to 70% and I seem to get 3MB/s slower speeds when I'm using it, although that might just be because I turned off hardware acceleration.

desu, if I hadn't already bought the RT-N66U a few months ago I'd seriously consider picking up the R7000 if only because it's a bit more powerful.

tl;dr do some reading up on the R7000 to make sure it's not a buggy piece of shit when it has custom firmware on it (sometimes routers with cfw will have really shit wireless performance because closed-source wireless drivers) or check eBay for a good deal on a used but good condition RT-N66U

I was looking at a TP-Link Archer one with OpenWRT support. Dual-core ARM, 128M flash and RAM.

TP Link Archer C7 is probably the best deal you can get.

wifi is not as secure or fast as ethernet

Why would it be worth installing custom firmware on a router? What features does it offer over OFW?

I'm surprised, mine covers our house easily.