What computer/laptop have you got your parents using?

What computer/laptop have you got your parents using?

they use what they want. why should i care?

Well I'm mainly asking 'cause it's Christmas coming up and my mother's laptop is really biting the dust. Obviously she doesn't need anything top-of-the-range, so what kinda laptop would make for a suitable replacement?

Built a 2006-tier gaming computer for my mom in 2011 and my dad just bought some Dell laptop I haven't seen yet. They both use Windows 10.

Thinkpad with a ssd
>inb4 stop memeing me
No really, they're dirt cheap and don't break apart easily

The same laptop I have because when I bought it I got two by mistake so I gave them one

Fixed an old Macbook from 2009 and loaded Ubuntu on it for my Mom.

Mom uses a 2011 macbook air with win 7 (I think it's the 2011 model at least? It's got a core2duo and I really couldn't care much)
Dad uses a Lenovo yoga something though not too often, he has his own double pc rig both at home and work with 5 monitors in different orientations

ThinkPad W500 with 4GB of RAM and 128GB SSD that runs Xubuntu with a Windows XP theme. They only use Chromium (I installed uBlock Origin) and Thunderbird mail client. I run the package manager to update everything every few months when I'm over for a visit.

>no viruses
>no shitware
>no billion toolbars
>no bluescreens
>no stuck keys
>no broken parts
>no dead disks
>no winshit rot

It's literally impossible for them to fuck it up unless they do it on purpose.

Macbooks come with Windows? Shows how out of touch I am.

How are the hinges on Thinkpads? My mum's current laptop has had the hinge broken for a couple years now. When she skypes with my dad (who works abroad) he's always stuck looking right at the ceiling.

Asser/Acer

>How are the hinges on Thinkpads?
Durable as fuck, especially on the old ones. I've had an R60 since late 2006 and the worst that has happened to the hinge is that it wobbles like 1/2 inch back and forth because it's a little loose.

my mom just uses her iPhone for everything, she has no computer
my dad uses a macbook

My parents are under 50

What's a computer?

You tell me
It's a solid piece of steel that goes through all of the case
You can pick this thing up by screen and shake it all around, that's how durable they are
Not the new ones though. Look for anything older that the 30 series (models that end with 30, like the T430 or X230, also make sure it's either a T or X thinkpad)

Also you can install windows on them but the hardware is overpriced

giving tech support to old people will make you want to kill yourself

Mom uses a AIO running W7.
Dad uses a Thinkpad T420 with Mint Linux on it. He's actually computer literate, both of these choices were his own.

Got em on one of these bad boys. Been quite good for them so far. i5, 8GB, 750 WD Black and 128 m.2

I installed Ubuntu 17.10 on my dad's core 2 duo mac recently all he does is shitpost on facebook and pirate movies so it's perfect, I can even remotely ssh and do some basic maintenance when he complains about something.

a shitty old toshiba satellite. I put Bodhi Linux on it

runs great

A Chromebook. I gave my mom that Asus flip one two years ago and I've never needed to assist her with computers since.

this is the "home" desktop, aka my brothers gaming rig

my dad uses an old asus k43sd, upgraded to 8gb of ram and on w10.

They use an old toshiba satallite with w8.1. It's kinda slow, so I want to buy an ssd and install ubuntu on it sometime soon

>iPhone SE
Used to message friends.

>Macbook Pro 2015
Used for email, browsing, and word processing.

>Android Tablet
Used for browsing.

-inch Macbook Pro 2015
I've set it to effectively be 1024x640 to make things easier for them to see.
As it's retina, there are enough pixels for this to look fine.

Some HP model that I stole from my job.

dad using an i5 desktop I built for him a couple years ago, bindows 10 because in addition to being a turbonormie facebook grandparent he also does a bunch of weird boomer shit nobody does anymore that he is too set in his ways to move on from often using 20 year old versions of windows shit programs that i'm constantly trying to get him to upgrade from.. finally got him to stop installing WordPerfect 2000 earlier this year... that was an accomplishment let me tell you..

the toaster

Only if you are autistic, or work at a call center.

Most old People i know are very thankfull when you help them. And always give out money in return.

My father PC
>i5 4400
>8gb ram
>Gtx 1050ti

Grandma Pc
>Apu a4 4000
>4gb ram
>Integrated Radeon graphics

My PC
>Q6600
>8gb ddr2 ram
>Gtx 1050ti

>you tell me
>tells you

A shitty old Lelnovo IdeaPad piece of shit I had before getting my MacBook Pro. Seriously I'm never going back to that plastic Wangblows shit ever again

buying ipad 2017 to my grandma

T420s with 8GB RAM and SSDs with a HDD in the Ultrabay.

Never a single complaint.

Lot better than the Macbook shit their retarded friends recommended to them which fucking died over one spilled cup of tea.

They've since had two tea spills on the T420s and they just shrug them off like nothing happened.

Some old HP (220 I think? It's definitely at least 5 years old)
>photoshop
>usual email work, word
>sometimes internet browsing
It was through so many fucking repairs though it's ridiculous. Two times the sound card, three times the HDD, one time the chassis and once the battery.
It cost around 400$ at the time it was bought.

Surface Pro 2

Have you had any problems with introducing someone to Ubuntu? I wouldn't be surprised if Linux ends up claiming a large desktop market share specifically in people over 65, just because of how many of them don't use anything but a web browser anyway.

This. My dad had a POS 4 year old Toshiba with a 1ghz celeron processor, 2gb ram and a 160gb hdd.

Last Christmas we got him a T430s with 256g ssd, 8gb ram and 2.5ghz i5 and he loves it.

He feels like he's in a whole new world of laptops, which he is.

Thing is still running strong.

Some cheap acer laptop with Windows 10S. The locked-down version of windows is a godsend for dumb normies. Prior to that I had to show up and reformat and install windows once every few months because one of them fell for some kike clickbait scam.

I'm the user that gave his parents the W500 with Xubuntu. In my case it's basically the same principle as ChromeOS, except it's a little easier for them to have a familiar desktop experience instead of retarded web apps. The 15 inch display with a somewhat lower resolution makes everything nice and big so that it's easy on their eyes and there's no glare with the matte display. It has the XP theme so that it looks like the same shit they used for 15 years straight and there are simple icons on the desktop linking to Documents, My Computer (renamed home directory shortcut), Chrome, and an email client. It can do everything that Windows XP can without the horrible security holes and crippling system errors.

>Macbooks come with Windows?
No but they're just off the shelf x86 laptop hardware now with a custom EFI and a fruity casing, so installing Winshit isn't too difficult.

My mom has no issue with Ubuntu and even Googles first instead of asking a shit ton of questions. The only problems she ever has is the shitty wireless we have here that can't breach the walls.

Thinkpad X200 with Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Edition.

X220 with 250GB SSD, 9 cell battery and Win10 LTSB. Didn’t wanna go with 7 just in case they wanted apps, which in that case I installed the store. They hardly ended up using apps but I wanted them there just in case they wanted some old person game like scrabble little more than a click away.

Ideapad with 10. Only bad part is the 32GB SSD is literally consumed by 10.

It was good on paper, but jesus christ.

>even Googles first

God I wish any of my elderly relatives had the slightest bit of inclination to solves problems using Google.. they are all literally still at the phase where they *occasionally* think to do a search for something more than a fucking recipe.

Grandma set boot params to recovery mode.

My father's a businessman and asked me for advice as to what new latptop he should get. I suggested he go for the HP spectre 13.

As for my mom, she likes mac so she's using a 2015 15 inch macbook pro

My mom uses an iPad last I checked but I haven’t visited my parents in years so I could be mistaken.

>2014
>senior year of college
>visiting grandmother for the holidays
>grandma doesn’t have computer or smartphone so it’s difficult for her to stay in contact with family
>decide to let her have my Thinkpad X61
>uninstall Debian and install Xubuntu
>show grandma how everything works
>set up an email address and Facebook for her
>show her how to browse for things
>grandma thanks me and assured me she’ll be using it every day

>2017
>visit grandma for Thanksgiving
>X61 in the exact spot where she left it three years ago
>covered in years-worth of dust

I took it back without telling her and I’m very sure she didn’t even notice.

>2014
>sacrificing your grandma to the jewish botnet machine like a good grandson

>2017
>she's impervious

quick dissect her and develop a vaccine and save humanity

> Macbooks come with Windows? Shows how out of touch I am.
they don't "come" with windows

at one point, apple started using intel CPUs instead of PowerPC, and while the experience was the same as on PPC (which they eventually phased out), the instruction set was the same one as for wintel computers. so they introduced something called bootcamp which was a boot manager that allowed you to partition and boot other x86 (and later x86-64) compatible OSes. you can install windows, linux, bsd, or whatever.

Usually they'll send me a link and ask me if I see any problems. Usually I won't. Generally some $400 ASUS or Lenovo.

I realized somewhat recently my parents are the kind of boomers who aren't "really" completely fucking retarded, but whenever they have any kind of screen or "device" in front of them, somehow their brain just shuts off entirely and they simply cannot into anything

I tried and tried to teach them.. now I realize they will simply never understand even the most basic concepts like changing the input on the TV to watch a DVD.. I was trying to teach them about Chromecast, Netflix, thought about getting them a better sound system of some sort for the living room with bluetooth, because they're just using the absolute garbage built in speakers in the TV of course...but no.. that would be yet another device they would get confused by.. I'm going to have to just accept that some old people are dumb enough to fuck up even an iPad.. without even installing any apps or doing anything but facebook (my dad literally did this.. somehow fucked the thing up to the point it needed to be factory reset/fresh install.. I believe by of course downloading and then ignoring every single system update for over 2 years)

tl;dr; some old people can't into anything more modern than a pocket FM radio.

None. My dad got a iPhone 5s that he uses for news, E-mail, Whatsapp and calls and mom a Samsung S4 that she uses for Whatsapp, Facebook and calls. They only use a PC when they need to print something

>all the apple shill threads get deleted
>all replies by OP deleted from other threads
lmao

Dell laptop of some kind running Ubuntu 16.04.

Semi-working (I had it for a long time, battery is dead as a fuck, case is bent slightly) ASUS X202 (Core i3 [email protected], 4Gig of RAM, 500Gig hitachi HDD)
Working Packard Bell TK-81 (AMD Phenom II X4 940, 4 Gig RAM, and some sort of not that AMD graphics, but I do not remember the numbers, semi-dead battery, 500 gigs of WD)

Both are running Windows 10, because I they can run it.
I am running MacBook Air 13' 2014 early under Linux, because Windows is too boring, and newest MacOS is glitchy and not cool.

My mom uses Ubuntu Mate and she has problems with understanding how to print and scan. But that's about it. But that's not really a problem with Ubuntu, my mom just doesn't understand and remember how to use technology. But my mom has no problem using ubuntu. My gf uses ubuntu too and she likes the software manager and how the wm works. I'd say it's simpler than windows 10, 10 to someone who doesn't use computers is pretty confusing with the tiling start menu, a bunch of useless applications and buttons etc.

Dad built computers for people, so he knows how to use computers - never would I have to install anything for him. I've slowly been telling him about GNU and free software philosophy, maybe I can convince him to use a real linux system. Right now he's got a windows laptop and a couple chromebooks.

Mom's on macOS and hooked into the apple ecosystem, though I'm making her more privacy and security aware.

>"Family PC" running vista died.
>I gave my old-ish Asus laptop with a fresh install of windows 7 few years back.
>fast forward 6 months
>LCD panel broke + "it was running slow anyway" i.e. virus ridden from these streaming sites with fake download buttons.
>Ask me for something that don't get broken easily "like your laptop".
>Second hand thinkpad.
>"But I don't want second hand."
>"What's your budget then?"
>"idunno lol"
>myface.jpg
>"Well, if you're looking for a solid machine, I'd recommend a thinkpad or a dell latitude, but these are over expensive if you buy them new"
>"What do you recommend?"
>Make a chart with display size, rank by price. Tell not to buy these cheap stuff at the department store whatever the salesman is saying.
>Fast forward few weeks
>"Your younger brother told me to buy a macbook pro. That's what he uses for school, He said these are the best computers I can get and that I should really invest in one."

Chromebook for my mom.

My dad has a Macbook I think.