>DE/WM
>Video/Music player
>Image viewer
>File Manager
>Text Editor
>Shell
>Web Browser
>Terminal

Protip: If you aren't comfortable with the terminal or aren't proficient with GNU/Linux this thread isn't for you.

If you use Arch, Manjaro, Ubuntu, Mint , Antergos, Solus, Fedora or any other of the thousands of BLOAT gnu/linux meme distros. Don't bother posting in this thread

Archived Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KftuGM_ylKg
howardism.org/Technical/Emacs/new-window-manager.html
mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/channel/desktop/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

wth*ck is wrong with her rear

>bloat

Never had a problem with any bloat on any Linux distro. Minimalism is a bullshit meme.

BBA big black ass

Poor girl suffering from a tumor

I've also felt the reason that move into minimalism, such as I just want to use the terminal. I feels great to have all your programs like your image viewer, music player, and browser using all the same keys, makes it really fast to get work done

Lordosis.

My machine is fast enough to not worry about minimalism

source on ass?

>OS
Several
>DE/WM
Ratpoison
>Video/Music player
MPlayer, MOC
>Image viewer
sxiv
>File Manager
ranger
>Text Editor
Vim
>Shell
Bash, learn about Readline and inpurc
>Web Browser
NetSurf
>Terminal
xterm

Africa

>OS
Debian
>DE/WM
i3/gaps
>Video/Music player
mpv
>Image viewer
feh
>File Manager
ranger
>Text Editor
nVim
>Shell
bash
>Web Browser
qutebrowser
>Terminal
urxvt

plastic

>OS
Gentoo Linux
>DE/WM
Compiz
>Video/Music player
SMPlayer
>Image viewer
Xfi
>File Manager
Xfe
>Text Editor
GNU + Emacs
>Shell
zsh
>Web Browser
Firefox 58
>Terminal
urxvt

>>OS
Void
>>DE/WM
Lxqt
>>Video/Music player
Mpv
>>Image viewer
LXImage
>>File Manager
PCManFM
>>Text Editor
Mousepad
>>Shell
Fish
>>Web Browser
Palemoon
>>Terminal
Qterminal

>arch is a bloated distro
kek

systemd is bloated middleware that also happens to be useless

>OS
Arch
>DE/WM
herbstluftwm
>Video/Music player
mpv
>Image viewer
feh
>File Manager
ranger
>Text Editor
spacemacs
>Shell
zsh
>Web Browser
qutebrowser
>Terminal
termite

youtube.com/watch?v=KftuGM_ylKg

A lot of people here don't use bash, what are the advtages of using another shell?

I like zsh's autocomplete

>OS
Gentoo GNU/Linux
>DE/WM
i3wm
>Video/Music player
mpv/ mpd+ncmpcpp
>Image viewer
sxiv
>File Manager
Ranger
>Text Editor
NeoVim
>Shell
Bash
>Web Browser
Firefox Nightly
>Terminal
rxvt-unicode

Is there some learning curve to these different shells? Is there a way to run a bash script in something like zsh and fish

you can call bash from another shell
but most simple bash scripts just work

What are some differences from Vim to NeoVim?

> OS
Emacs
> DE/WM
LXDE
> Video/Music player
MPV
> image viewer
Default one
> File Manager
Pcmanfm
> Text editor
Emacs
> Shell
Emacs
>Web browser
Emacs
> terminal
Emacs

> Lxqt and not Lxde
What a sub human lmao

>>OS
>Emas
I thought this was a meme

Hey guys, question:

How do you get st (simple terminal) to have the DEL key actually work? I tried applying the DELkey patch from their website and nothing went wrong, but I still can't use it.

>he dosn't use exwm

howardism.org/Technical/Emacs/new-window-manager.html

>2017
>Still using GTK-based stuff

Why would you do this to yourself? Qt is the only relevant framework at the moment. Call me when GTK has thumbnails in its filepicker. I won't hold my breath though, that's been a bug report since 2004 or something.

Emacs can run on most kernels that has support for glibc

Reposting Arch copypasta
Arch has never been a minimalist distribution. Splitting packages is rare compared to other distributions, and dependencies aren't made optional whenever possible. Arch has *never* been minimalist... a Linux kernel with every module available and every feature enabled at least when there's no non-bloat related cost, feature-packed/complex GNU tools, nearly all optional features enabled across all the packages, etc.

>pacman is fast but not safe, it tends to break shit and config protection is implemented in a terrible way
>there is no official process to verify that a package is stable within the distro, in other distros a lot of packages are in a testing repo despite that specific package's developer claiming it to be stable on its own, because it might not be stable within the environment of a specific distro
>a lot of AUR packages pull from upstream, which means they could be very unstable
>(arch vs gentoo related) arch users complain about muh compile time when it comes to gentoo, while in fact they compile a lot of AUR packages themselves, namely the *-git packages that pull the source from a git repo
>but it gets even better: they only compile a handful of packages, and those not being libraries mostly, the self-compiled packages get linked against precompiled libraries from a different setup (e.g. different optimization levels), which can then cause even more instability because it's a clusterfuck of unequal shit
>arch uses (((systemd))) and switching to something else is hard
>apparently the vim package on arch pulls in X, so if you want to have a fancy terminal text editor on a headless server, you to install a shit ton of GUI stuff you'll never need nor use
>maintainer told the guy who complained to just symlink vi to vim (vi is inferior)

Reposting WM ram comparison

Hmm looks interesting. I will definitely check it out

>OS
Gentoo
>DE/WM
i3 gaps
>Video/Music player
vlc cmus
>Image viewer
feh ristretto tumbler (not tumblr)
>File Manager
thunar
>Text Editor
mousepad and nano
>Shell
bash 4.3.48
>Web Browser
FF
>Terminal
urxvt

Any suggestion?

gentoo is not GNU

Lxqt has thumbnails in the filepicker?
Show proof and I'll change right now

yes it is

i don't always do everything using emacs' built-in functions, but when I don't, I implement it in emacs lisp

Gentoo has a higher percentage of GNU in its base install than any other distro

where did u get firefox-nightly from

mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/channel/desktop/

Has qutebrowser actually made browser faster for anyone? Wondering if it's worth getting into and supporting

I use it and it has potential.

qupzilla is a good alternative that was more lightweight for me.

>Arch has never been a minimalist distribution...
These are mostly side effects of Arch being a binary based distribution, as opposed to a source-based distro like Gentoo. Both have upsides and downsides.

>pacman is fast but not safe...
In practice I've never had pacman break a package, and it's fast by your own admission.

>there is no official process to verify that a package is stable within the distro, in other distros a lot of packages are in a testing repo...
Arch has a testing repo.

>a lot of AUR packages pull from upstream...
Use another source, achieved by a simple edit of the PKGBUILD

>arch users complain about muh compile time when it comes to gentoo, while in fact they compile a lot of AUR packages themselves, namely the *-git packages that pull the source from a git repo
Compiling a few packages from the AUR is much easier and faster than compiling nearly every package on your system.

>but it gets even better: they only compile a handful of packages, and those not being libraries mostly, the self-compiled packages get linked against precompiled libraries from a different setup (e.g. different optimization levels), which can then cause even more instability because it's a clusterfuck of unequal shit
"Can cause instability" but in my experience it works fine, and even if it doesn't the AUR is unsupported anyways.

>arch uses (((systemd))) and switching to something else is hard
It's not hard, search for "Artix Linux"

>apparently the vim package on arch pulls in X...
Use the Arch Build System and remove that dependency from the PKGBUILD

>maintainer told the guy...
So one maintainer thinks vi is an acceptable substitute for vim, who cares?

I don't understand all the animosity surrounding Arch but based on these arguments I assume it's pettiness. If anyone wants to present some real arguments about why Arch is inferior I'll be waiting.

>OS
Debian Sid
>DE/WM
i3wm
>Video/Music player
mpv
>Image viewer
feh
>File Manager
Thunar
>Text Editor
nano
>Shell
bash
>Web Browser
Qupzilla
>Terminal
urxvt

>fake butt that resembles a full diaper
>fake nails
>fake eyelashes
>caked on makeup
>hair extensions

absolutely_disgusting.jpg

Sup Forums on the socially awkward right

>WM
>Video/Music player
>Image viewer
>File Manager
>Terminal

Recently did a fresh install and I need recommendation for those above.
Which WM to use with xfce ?
I've been using rhythmbox for all my life, is there something worth looking for ?
I don't have a clue about which image viewer to use, I didn't like most of them so used the gnome one I think.
About the terminal emulator, I just want something that gets the job done and have a feat features (tabs, custimize font, colors, etc.)

>WM
Awesome, bspwm, i3
>Image Viewer
Feh
>File Manager
Thunar, Ranger, Midnight Commander, or none
>Terminal
Personally like urxvt

minimalism is for pussies

sauce

She's so pretty, I wish I was her.

>I wish I was her.
*I wish I was in her
ftfy fageto

wew eventually they'll rewrite the entire kernel in elisp

>I dont want to learn new things no matter what the benefits are

>OS
ubuntu
>DE/WM
mate
>Video/Music player
mpv
>Image viewer
that comes with mate
>File Manager
that comes with mate
>Text Editor
that comes with mate
>Shell
that comes with mate
>Web Browser
firefox
>Terminal
that comes with mate

What the fuck is wrong with your dick?

Not minimal

220MiB of ram at boot, you need consider usability too

What is the price of minimalism? Running shitty apps and nogames?

Minimalism is not about removal for the sake of removal à la Gnome 3

Isn't anything Unix-like pretty much the antithesis of minimalism anyway?

If we are to make a "suckless" system, wouldn't it be better to make something small, cooperatively multitasked, single address space that will boot in an instant and whose entire source code can realistically be audited by any power user? Something like TempleOS, but with full-colour high-res graphics and a network stack?

No matter how autismally code-golfed your user space is, it's going to be resting on a pretty bloated foundation that will for most users be the bedrock abstraction of their systems. I'm not saying pre-emptive multitasking and virtual memory isn't useful, but it's pretty far from minimalist in my book.

Most people aren't into bestiality.

OSX is the ultimate minimalism

t.ireland

How viable is Alpine Linux for desktop use? Apparently it can't run steam or other closed precompiled binaries since it uses musl instead of glibc but apparently you can still run with chroot. Anyone using Alpine on their desktop? I really want a minimal distro on my desktop but there are certain commercial programs that I want to use like steam, spotify etc.

>OS
Void

>DE/WM
I3

>Video/Music player
I dont have any

>Image viewer
Feh

>Text Editor
Vim/Nano

>Shell
Bash

>Web Browser
NetSurf

>Terminal
Xterm

>OS
Couple
>DE/WM
i3
>Video/Music player
mpv,ncmpcpp
>Image viewer
feh
>File Manager
bash
>Text Editor
vim
>Shell
bash
>Web Browser
waterfox
>Terminal
xterm

Original op here. Who are you OP??? Seems like all those threads paid off. Op i neeed know who you are

nevermind, thanks for continuing this!

How abouts glibc Void? Similar vein to Alpine, but offers the choice of Musl or glibc.

mfw, im the original creator of this thread/general and the torch passes on. This is a weird feeling. I wanted to get that off my chest

>recommending debian over devuan
>>>/reddit/

devuan is gay kys nigger faggot. use gentoo or void.
no one uses alpine as a daily driver. just use debian minimal and get on with your life

they are missing out

I used it for a while on my X230.

IT IS FAST.

Holy shit, it used 80 MB RAM when using XFCE. Package manager is essentially instantaneous. Eventually I got tired of fighting the OS to do some basic things, but for what it is, it's the best.

Why don't you fuck off back to reddît where you belong.

Why would you unironically use anything from suckless? Their idea of "customization" is editing the source code. Suckless is complete and utter shit from meme "minimalists".

black girls >>>>>>>>>>> white girls

I don't know how to feel about this. I literally created this general. Mfw im just a another user.

>OS
Void
>DE/WM
dwm
>Video/Music player
mpv/Spotify
>Image viewer
don't look at images
>File Manager
shell
>Text Editor
vim
>Shell
bash
>Web Browser
firefox
>Terminal
st

rate me Sup Forums

I couldn't get Steam working on glibc void, either. Got it working on Arch, tho. Probably best to use debian if you want to game.

alpine is 2x faster than void.

One thing I've learned the hard way the more complex software is, the more dependencies, and the more it can do will mean the more something can go wrong and the more configuration you need to do to get it to do what you want if something goes wrong

>get work done
now why you gotta lie, user

is xubuntu good?

Go jerk off to some moe shit anime faggot.

le epic racism maymay XD

No idea why the fuck im the one providing proof.

Why should I use LEDE on my router? Updating looks like it will be a pain in the dick

Are fake butts real? I keep hearing it as a meme, but I can't imagine anyone doing that, it working, or it being remotely safe.

But Debian is acceptable?

That's just the file manager, isn't it?
The meme is about file pickers within applications. So the thing you used to find that pic when you posted.

I want to learn Kali. Am I in for a rough time?

>Gentoo
>i3
>mpv
>none
>Vim
>bash
>Firefox
>urxvt
How can I make it lighter?

It's just debian with a bunch of security tools that it comes with, it was never intended to be used for daily use