Have to drop out of university because parents can no longer support me financially

>have to drop out of university because parents can no longer support me financially
>was doing software engineering degree
>my grades have tanked, just trying to salvage whats left
What I wanna know is can I realistically get a programming/development job without a degree? I see articles and videos that are like "How I Got a Development Job Without a Degree!!!" and I feel like its more of a lucky break vs actually being able to get a job. I don't currently have a portfolio of anything really worth merit. I'm not really looking to make big bucks or aiming to be the next Carmack; I just want to make decent money and be a code monkey.
Is there any course of action worthwhile, or should I just work toward finishing my degree?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/kNzNeqet
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

webdev

Look into joining the military in exchange for paid college scholarship. Either get a ROTC scholarship and become a commissioned officer (which is difficult for any non-medical majors) or enlist, serve some years, and have the military pay for your education. Either way, you'll be selling your soul to the gov't but at least you'll have some sort of a job and have a shot at your own future.

Degree is better but as soon as you had your first development job for 2+ years, figuratively no one is going to ask about your degree anymore
The first 1-2 years could be badly paid but it evens out quickly after that

It's better if OP hustles and gets his degree now rather than try later and most likely fail because the school environment is tougher on the individual than work environment, where at least you get a weekend off. On top of the financial instability.

Hey little nigga
See if you can get a loan and finish up your bachelors degree at WGU in software development.
$3500 per six month semester. Take as many classes as you can. If you can pass the final, you can move on to the next class. Accredited. They will transfer in basically anything you've already completed.

Have you tried alcoholism? also don't worry too much, try to finish the degree while having a job.

unironically this, people go into webdevelopment knowing fuck all about anything and get a job.

Google has said many times they value knowledge over a degree. It's even in their hiring website.

You don't need a fancy degree to work in IT, just don't be stupid about it.

Your personal projects are almost as important as work experience.

Webdev can't be this easy, r-right?

OP here. Adding a little more details. Basically, my GPA is hovering around 2.5 (was 3.0ish before last semester) and this semester isn't looking too hot. I'm failing a class that I 100% should not be failing (ie. my laziness is why I'm failing an otherwise easy class) on top of struggling in another class and having an uncertain grade in another. My parents have basically told me "look, money is tight and if you aren't going to put the effort into school we will not be able to support you in paying for it. we are more than happy to help you in other ways, but we aren't paying for any more school". I understand completely that it's my responsibility and all that shit. Right now, I gotta get a job and move out. Currently, there's a decent job I'm looking at and have a decent shot at getting. It's a technician job at the local school district. $17-30/ hour with benefits on top of having connections through my mother, who has been a school librarian for several years now. I want to finish my degree but right now I dunno how I can do it.

>have to drop out of university because parents can no longer support me financially
Yeah dude my parents are assholes and basically kicked me out when I was 18 and always yelled at me and shit for no reason.

see I don't think they are assholes at all.

Webdev is only easy at the first glance
Anybody can build a "Hello, World"-style blog in 15 minutes but difficulty rises with scale

Oh yeah I misunderstood I guess. My parents werent like that. They would just take their problems out on me.

Take the job.
5> courses taught me meaningful subjects for my job.

Stop whining and take out loans greater than the cost of school so you can support yourself. That's what I've had to do for 3 years, almost done with my bachelor's in computer engineering.

No credit. I'm not approved for anything other than relatively small loans with bad interest rates.

Grandparents to co-sign? Generally older people naturally have higher credit scores

Why the fuck are you telling him to get a loan? He doesn't have the money now, so he has to work. I can't seriously believe you're recommending him cosign.

Pro tip op, if a bank needs a cosign, it means you can't afford to pay it, so then your grandparents are going to hate you and your parents too.

Op, work and take it slow, you already crashed, don't burn now.

>5> courses taught me meaningful subjects for my job.
College just so happens to (tangentially) help you find a job in the industry, but the real point of Computer Science is to help you eventually go onto Graduate School and eventually a Ph.D where you'll do research and make a contribution to the academic community

Thses companies don't give a shit if you have a degree, they just use it as a retard filter. Teach yourself and they won't care. You can even lie and they probably won't check.

Once you've got your first job your fine.

>It's a technician job at the local school district. $17-30/ hour with benefits on top of having connections through my mother

It's worth a try, but I'd expect school districts to be elitist and chuck your resume into the trash because you don't have your degree or work experience yet.

Can confirm. I joined the Air Force and am currently going through technical training for cyber transport systems(sysadmin). We get sec+ certified and they pay 4500$/yr for tuition while active and that's not even tapping into your GI bill. You can literally get a master's without spending a dime. Btw don't go commisioned. Go enlisted and then decide if you want to commision. This is a picture of my dorm btw.

Not the same guy but I can't get into the military because I have serious column problems from birth, so this isn't always a viable options unfortunately

i'm not sure why, but they seem to have really low requirements. i personally know 3 different people who work IT for local schools and they all got the job either straight out of highschool or after a semester or two of university.
i guess it could just be cost-saving, since without actual qualifications you may feel insecure about leaving and trying to find other work, but from what i've heard it's a pretty easy job -- more boring than difficult.

Op here: i wasnt the one asking about loans

Employer here: Ready and willing to hire any competent web dev, where "competent" means "can programmatically count from 700 to 200 in decrements of 13". Paying about 20% higher than the industry average (but SEAmonies, not Burgerdollars).

Been looking for TWO YEARS now, no luck. So yes, web dev is indeed "that easy".

The amount of work you put in the military you could just use that same amount of effort and go to college and work full-time. When I was in the navy I would work 16-18 hours a day 7 days a week for months at a time. (quartermaster on a small ship [destroyer]) it fucking sucked soo much. Meanwhile I know some people in the airforce that work 8 hour days and don't have to stand watch.... If OP is going to join the military ONLY for the college benefits then airforce is his best route.

>where "competent" means "can programmatically count from 700 to 200 in decrements of 13"
The fuck? No technology awareness, nothing? I call BS.

> Can confirm. I joined the Air Force and am currently going through technical training for cyber transport systems(sysadmin). We get sec+ certified and they pay 4500$/yr for tuition while active and that's not even tapping into your GI bill. You can literally get a master's without spending a dime. Btw don't go commisioned. Go enlisted and then decide if you want to commision. This is a picture of my dorm btw.

Jesus christ your mic is right next to your keyboard, that pos mic records the tiniest sound. Nobody ever complains when you're on voice?

This was the answer of a person who called himself a web dev, when asked to count down from 700 to 200 in decrements of 13. Notice that he tried TWICE.

This guy had FIVE years of web dev experience on his resume. Five!

+1 not a scam school like phoenix. it's competency based if you know the shit and prove it on exam you pass the course. i went back to finish my degree here, 3 semesters and finish 18 classes and i'm in minor debt instead of huge debt.

>*
>*=
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I'm getting my hopes up now.
Though I am a non-conformist lazy cunt, so that's my reason not to get employed.
Thanks for a funny story.

Oh right, I almost forgot about the security clearance which you'll get when you join the military. Remember than non-U.S. citizens DO NOT have security clearance and there are many jobs in the tech sector and within major companies that require security clearance which effectively raises your salary and job security.

Have you talked to a military recruiter personally I do know the Army branch hires people who normally seem medically unfit for combat.

And if you are so "smart" as you put it, why is it so difficult to get a Bachelors degree?

There are two : networking or portfolio.

If you can't make friends in high places, you need a convincing portfolio.

They throw in trick question like this? Who the fuck give some one a problem that cannot be solved. Employer doesn't deserve an actual worth while employee.

What were you expecting them to do given that you won't land directly on 200? Just count until they are under 200?

You've been looking for a developer for 2 years?

I don't believe you have a legitimate position you need filled.
This is even worse than those "for immediate hire" listings that jerk you around for 4-5 months and multiple interviews before they send the template rejection.docx

What about fizzbuzz?

I'm personally not really looking into becoming a web dev myself but I wanna self study starting with Python. Then I'll decide if it's worth pursuing a CS bachelor's in burger land if I even like programming.

>TFW koding with klossy
>No coding with Sup Forums

not a good enough excuse faggot. i am working my way through school just fine.

Same. I only take 3-4 classes a semester(working full-time) but slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

Thank you, I'm really down on myself and I need all the reassurance I can get.

>count down from 700 to 200, in decrements of 13
>trick question

They can:
1- Stop at 206
2- Stop at 193
3- Ask about why 200, when it is neither of the above
I do not care which of the three. I just want to see if the candidate can execute a VERY SIMPLE loop.

People know about FizzBuzz. This is even easier than FizzBuzz.

I thought WGU required an associate degree to enroll, has this changed or am I remembering incorrectly?

I can do that in cpp and I'm not even a good programmer. Can I have the job? No experience in webdev whatsoever.

Who codes logical increments then?

I don't understand the question or how you feel do it

Can you please help? What am I missing here?

Both Orion and I were developers, we made the site originally. We have one proper developer who maintains it now. I am trying to give him a teammate.

>join military
>get paid shit wages and deal with shit the next couple years

You're better off lying your ass of to be a federal contractor and getting better pay.

I graduated with a 2.2 and ended up with a pretty sweet job. If you have enough personal experience outside the classroom and do a good job at interviews, you can land an internship. Once you get an internship, put 1000% of your effort into it. Go beyond everything they ask and really try to impress them. If you leave a really good impression, the employer can easily hire you. That's how I got my first job.

You may need a certification or some coursework. You don't explicitly need an AA

Just to add, I did fail a few courses or get a D in some too. I re-took these courses over winter or summer breaks in order to pass and it made my GPA look a lot better than it would have too. I was going through clinical depression at the time and spent pretty much every day in bed, even skipping finals for some courses because I just stopped caring about everything. If I can make it through college with clinical depression, you can struggle and make it too.

>Ahmed is white

Hmm, the birb profile pic reminds me of the cockmail guy Vincent Canfield

BS in CS as a clinically depressed NEET with 2.0 GPA and got a job? How many hours of study were you actually putting in weekly?

Forgot to add, what is it with 4channers and pics of birbs in suits?

There is usually nothing stopping you from lying about having a degree. Only the very top companies have the means to check and even then they'd probably only be able to verify that you attended that school. No one asks to see your fucking diploma. At small firms they won't do any sort of verification. Your portfolio and references matter much more.

Just lie. The social contract that made a degree worthwhile was broken by your society so you have no obligation to stick to your side of the deal. Credentialism is a scam, and there's nothing immoral about turning the tables on a scammer.

It depended on the course. Certain courses like networking, hardware programming, linear algebra, etc. that were actually interesting to me I kicked ass in and got good grades. Spent time reading the material and actually doing assignments and taking my time with everything. Other courses like diff eq or my senior design project I couldn't stand at all and ended up doing absolutely terrible in them. Outside of class I forced myself to use Ubuntu on my laptop so I can get personal experience with Linux. I did some programming projects as well and read programming books. I also had a few IT jobs I did on campus where I learned from pros or grad students which helped too.

I'm in a similar boat, OP. Dropped out this semester due to stress+laziness+frustration but I don't want to rely on my parents' money to continue a failing trend. Thank God I networked though. I might just be safe.

I urge you, OP, utilize the connections you have mentioned in this thread already to their fullest extent. Connections are so unbelievably invaluable in today's world, it's best you don't burn your bridges.

>tfw former military and have TSC
>about to enter senior year as CS major
>applying to internships
>getting no replies

wtf do these companies want?

Most profit for least cost, obviously. Most tech employers are ruthless, that's why you should never be a good Samaritan and do more work than you're paid for!
That's what they're preying on! Naive beginners who break their backs being tireless code monkeys just for the CEOs and managers to get all or most of the credit.

Probably you overemphasize your military background but not your (recent) CS pro/g/ramming skills. Nobody cares you oiled Humvee mechanical parts while you did your stint in the military, but they do care about your Github and if you have that hacker mentality.

Also thanks for your service.

>oiled Humvee mechanic
pretty fucking close XD

don't thank me, i thank you for the free college and unearned hero worship

what the fuck is this "hacker mentality " you speak of?

I work as a domain admin for a middle sized company in Hungary. No degree and I even have a criminal record ("hacking")... But if you are good they won't care.

You know, the mentality of a problem solver.

It means you can "hack" shit together to get the job done. I.e. you can take framework a in language b and library c in language d and use them to solve your problem.

Assuming i already can manipulate and do shit with ASM, C, C++, C# LaTeX, HTML, CSS, JavaScript and Python, what database language should i start learning?

MongoDB, Cassandra or MySQL.

Dude, just get a job. I had differnt jobs, i.e. nightshift at a hotel, waiter and selling ice cream.

Don't be such a spoiled helpless brat.

>Webdev can't be this easy, r-right?

No, it's not "that easy" but can start becoming productive (and earning money) pretty fast if you have low standard customers.

Eventually you need to have a lot of differnt skills that are not trivial (is your database secure? did you prevent the most common attacks? did you monitor the traffic on your server to see if the bandwith is enough? have you renewed your SSL certificates lately?).

But if you stay in a save environment of a CMS system like Wordpress you can ignore a lot of things and become productive pretty fast.

But it takes at least one year of earnest studying to become intermediate in webdev when you take it seriously, of course depending in the stack and on your prior experience.

I started fresh out of the service in an IT ops technician role making 52k with 0 degree, certs, experience. Literally just had a good work ethic/attitude/professional appearance.
That's 2009 though and obv not development, but my point is its possible.

>Khairul, a pajeet name
>The only proper programmer is the pajeet
White brainlets shattered. No wonder these dumb whiteshits whine all day long on this board.

>Been looking for TWO YEARS
>mfw its literally a for(i=700; i>=200; i=i-13)
You made me lose faith in humanity user

I got a job simply because I got upset at the bitrate of a korean MMO.

What?

>no empty beer cans on desk
>no bong next to mouse
>shitty government paycheck
>no loose women

who the fuck would want to enlist?

the private sector pays more
can get drunk, laid, and blazed from the comfort of my desk.

doesn't sound like fun at A L L

Yeah they do require a degree for people with no prior experience though.

Join the army, walk into a recruiters and tell them you have some experience and that you wanna go into the cyber-security force. They will give you a test/tryout thing. You will have work for the rest of your life, plus the GI Bill when you get out (you won't need it)

>offers shit pay
>hurr durr I can't find anyone competent

Why not commission? I'm thinking of trying to join the air force as an officer. I'm an oldfag with a B.S. and most of an M.S. that I ended up quitting. Wonder if they'll have me...

What sort of test? Are there study guides?

They will mostly just be looking at your aptitude for it. Walk in and just ask. Can't hurt. Take the test, whatever it is, you can always retake it. They are hard the fuck up for people able to do the work.

They will train you, of course.

>the cyber-security force
>can't even secure their own networks

blind teaching the blind

must be awkward knowing that the NSA is the reason all the bugs, zero days and backdoors exist then your job is securing databases from intruders with the same software that the government made sure was already insecure from the factory.

talk about hell

>hell
you mean good job security ;)

it's fine, nobody in industry gives a shit about degrees and certifications as long as you have some kind of portfolio and can pass a programming interview.

Just drop out, and study this:
pastebin.com/kNzNeqet

In fact, I guarantee your education and job prospects will be better if you do that than if you were to continue with your normie schooling regiment. Never underestimate how big of a shitshow this field is. Ever.

Shit. suck up 3 years, then exit the revolving door and make bank

>le (((web scale))) meme
the reason anything is "hard" in web dev, is because the web is a clusterfuck of ad-hoc nonsense maintained by lazy fucks with low standards. It's no surprise they hire the cheapest code monkeys they can find for web shit, since they're the ones that basically created that mess to begin with, and no one else has the tolerance to deal with that level of bullshit.

I'm building a Monte Carlo simulator in Python. I don't even know Python so I have to Google a lot and they seem to have taken notice like this example where I needed to look up the syntax for exception handling.

just wear a dress and lipstick. if you don't get hired, call the news.

Why would you assume the military is fun? Unless you're a grunt deployed we're peacetime right now.

>>have to drop out of university because parents can no longer support me financially
Haha, oh, America.

>the private sector pays more
Okay, and how do you think you get those federal contract jobs in the first place? You think they just hire some random kid off the street without a college degree or any skills? You typically get those contract jobs once you have prior experience either in the military or in some relevant sector. The point of the military is to give you a hands up, but yes the military does suck as everybody here points out, there's nothing "fun" about having to get up at 0430 M-F and getting yelled at by a higher-up every day

Take the job. That's decent money for school district IT. School IT is easy work and decent pay. The only real price is having to deal with soul-crushing stupidity from the users.

we're in like 8 conflicts around the globe rn, shit for brains. plus we're up in everyone's shit regardless

>tfw hear horror stories of people like this actually getting decent jobs

why cant it happen to me