I'm planning on switching to Linux full time

Which distribution would you recommend for me? I kinda prefer KDE as a desktop environment. I only heard snippets about how Arch-Debian-Fedora-SUSE are the four big distros and that lots of other distros derive from them.
But which "line" is the most secure? Reasonable to use? Does one have any advantage over the others?

Other urls found in this thread:

netrunner.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Install Gentoo

you will probably be just fine with installing ubuntu. in the end you can make every distro look the same if you make some changes so it souldn't really matter that much which distro you use.

this
also checked

It depends a lot on how much time you are willing to spent on configuration. setting up a bare distro in just the way you want it is an ongoing process that costs you huge amounts of time so don't do that unless you enjoy it.

like this guy said: ubuntu is fine.

Only 3 distros matter: Debian, Fedora, and Ubuntu; in that order. Everything else is edgelord stuff for people who want attention. Grab Ubuntu if you're retarded/lazy, Fedora if you want an amazingly polished product with great support, or Debian if you're a true patrician who doesn't want to be pegged by some corporation. Ignore everyone talking about other distros.

I'm a Debian user and haven't really fiddled with the rest. KDE worked fine on Debian, but if you're using stable the packages don't get updated for 2 years (only security updates). Testing is supposed to be the up-to-date version, until it becomes the new stable and a new testing is born.

From what I've heard about those other distros you've mentioned: Arch is cutting edge and requires a lot of attention to keep it running properly, Fedora just works and is a sensible distro in general, SUSE is derived from Fedora and is supposed to be the best KDE distro.

>I kinda prefer KDE as a desktop environment.
>prefer KDE
Why? The only OS's I recommend are Ubuntu and CentOS for their stability and easy of use. Just install KDE on either, or use Neon for the best KDE experience.

this will take some time for you personally to understand the distro if you haven't used it before but you should use: manjaro kde

here's everything you need to know:
>the AUR is a database of programs for use with Arch/Manjaro
>when you want to download something you can either search for it on the actual website (!AUR example) or use yaourt (a command line tool (not recommended)
>when you find the package you want on the AUR look for it's github link at the top of it's description, copy it then install using the following commands

>git clone (paste github link)
>cd (package name)
>makepkg -si

that's it

Debian.

If you are on windows, install Virtualbox and try as many GNU/Linux distros as you can before making a choice. Here's some that I recommend trying out:
>Antergos
>BunsenLabs
>Deepin
>Solus
>Anarchy Linux

Get Kubuntu. Been using it for years without any issue, even through full distro upgrades. Debian would be good too. It's even pretty easy to patch and recompile your kernel if that is something that you need.

if you want a proper german engineered distro with a full KDE experience out of the box to get some real work done, use opensuse. Ignore the virgins ITT recommending distros made by weebs in their mum's basement

>Solus
fuck off kevin

I have been using KDE for a long time and I would encourage you to separate what is DE and what is distro.
Distro relates to how and when you update software.
KDE is under very fast development and therefore a fast update cycle is important if you want to experience the least amount of bugs.
Fedora and chakra are good options with a fast update cycle on KDE, but chakra can break and requires more knowledge about the system, so if you are new, I don't see why you would want the absolute newest of all packages.
Neon is also an option, combining the LTS core from Ubuntu with the latest KDE.
It is a developer distro, so I can't speak for security, and I know they have messed up in the past.
Suse is also an option, but it is very different from other distros.

antergos or neon

I have to agree with these guys.
Debian is stable, versatile, free, fast and won't suck up half of your life to maintain it. For me the only choice in Linux.

kubuntu or kde neon if you like kde

ive heard neon called "the best kde distro" but desu just get an ubuntu like xubuntu or kubuntu

KDE was unusable 2 years ago, has much changed?

and *buntus always broke for me after 2-4 years whereas debian runs decades.

i havent used it enough to know, im a cinnamonfag. only played around with kde for about a day

ElementaryOS shill here, install if you want a functioning and gorgeous OS

netrunner.com/

>Which distro has nicer KDE?
Somebody in this thread will probably tell you they're all the same. This is patently false.

>Fedora

Debian + xfce is pretty great.

Cinnamon is decent but not customizable enough. Pretty basic. I guess it all boils down on to how much you're willing to fiddle around.

I would recommend Kubuntu, because you said you are planning on switching full time, so you want sane defaults, SUPPORT and something that just works. Ubuntu has all of those and is far superior to other distros like Fedora en that regard.

Another great KDE distro is openSUSE, but it requires more work than Ubuntu, things like proprietary media codecs are not bundled, so I don't recommend it because it can be a pain in the ass to sort out that stuff, specially for a newbie.

Currently I'm struggling at changing wallpaper on KDE, Fedora doesn't boot, so I'm stuck with Ubuntu.

I installed KDE on by system (Ubuntu 16.04, i7 4700MQ, 24gb RAM) and the DE was a buggy mess.

if you to ask, you are just some fucking retard trying to fit in

make your own fucking decisions kid

Get Manjaro KDE or KDE Neon, currently the two best distros around.

however, some distros support features that other distros do not support, such as how ubuntu supports hidpi displays

Also a big thing that is very important: sane defaults. Distros like Linux Mint have very sane defaults and will require little initial setup. If you go with something like XUbuntu you might find yourself spending hours getting the audio mixing right for your sound card.

don't use Kubuntu it's the worse KDE experience

if you want something stable but old : Debian with KDE, Opensuse Leap
If you want something that (((might))) breaks : Manjaro or Opensuse Tumbleweed

If you want something that is suffieciently new, fast and reliable: Debian Stable
I recommend XFCE or even Gnome.

Ubuntu. It just werks.

Train on the command line until you become interested enough to venture out to more advanced distros.

start with xubuntu, use it for 6 months
then get debian net iso. install dwn as wm

I've been using Manjaro KDE full time for years, and it's always worked for me. Even when I work from home, I remote into my work computer with it. I like Manjaro, and other Arch derivitives, because the software in their official repos are almost always the latest version, and users maintaining their own in the AUR just makes it even better. I find that Debian, Ubuntu, etc, take far longer to get newer versions into their repos.

OP is obviously a complete noob that even has to ask the most basic shit

This retard recomends him distros that don't even play mp3 or mkv videos out of the box, have shit tier support/documentation because no one uses them and require tinkering to get them to do basic shit.

Don't liste to retards like this guys ffs.

For a complete beginner Ubuntu is the only option. Anyone else suggesting other distros is either a shill or a fanboy.

Xubuntu. Get it OP.

Kubuntu. Get it OP.

Edubuntu, Get it OP.

Good luck! You will need.

Fedora but I use Debian as well

>not just going with Gentoo
>not just going with XFCE
why are you even on Sup Forums?

the only thing true in you post is that it can't read some proprietary shit, but if OP can't manage to google "mp3 Opensuse" it can't either use Windows
I prefer to recommand to him good distro, not a shitty distro like Ubuntu just because it will save him 1 or 2 research on google.

and if OP want to do some admin stuff, like setting the grub timeout or the firewall it's easier on Opensuse because it have GUI, on Ubuntu you need a terminal for must of that stuff.

kek

Just don't install Gentoo

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

If you like KDE, I recommend Antergos or Manjaro as they're both available in prebuilt KDE flavors with no setup required. More importantly, they're both based on Arch Linux, meaning you'll always be on the latest software (rolling release) and you'll have access to whatever software you need (AUR).

Antergos KDE > Manjaro KDE > KDE Neon > Kubuntu

I feel like this was meant to be some sort of troll, but I actually found it interesting. thanks

Debian with KDE
You don't need more, you don't need less.

>I'm planning on switching to Linux full time
>Which distribution would you recommend for me?
Easy mode: MXlinux 16
>I kinda prefer KDE as a desktop environment. I only heard snippets about how Arch-Debian-Fedora-SUSE are the four big distros and that lots of other distros derive from them.
But which "line" is the most secure?
All of them, or none of them. Security really falls on the end user.
>Reasonable to use?
This is subjective as they are all easy to use once you get the hang of them. Personally I find debian based distros the easiest for me to use on a daily basis.
>Does one have any advantage over the others?
Some have better documentation than others, and have have easy to find answers to most issues that you will encounter with a web search.
If you are brand new to linux you might as well just try out a few to understand what you personally like, and dislike, and then use that to choose your next distro.
Me I've been stuck on MX as my primary distro for the most of this year, and had no issues, but that's because I grew lazy.

what is your opinion on slackware?

What wm look like win95?
My parents might use this netbook and ive found working helpdesk is super annoying

I tried installing fvwm and fvwm-themes but themes keeps complaining

You're not going to switch to Linux full time until you find the distro you're comfortable with. You sound like an attention whore who will be reinstalling windows in a week.
Install a couple of the most popular ones from distrowatch in VMs and fuck around with them. Become comfortable with the shell and then switch if it fits your needs.

Stay on Windows. Linux is a fucking meme.

I'd switch too but no VST's

KDE is awesome it looks good but still faster than windows but dont forget to get your backports

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports
sudo apt-get update

trips speak