How do I get into linux...

how do I get into linux? just installed xubuntu and already seem to have problems (long boot time with black screen for couple minutes)...also nothing seems intuitive, but whatever. How do I learn? I don‘t know shit, I barely know more than normies do. Are there good tutorials anywhere that will help me understand linux or is there an offline manual I can read through? Would appreciate some help

Other urls found in this thread:

linux.die.net/man/
sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/
linuxjourney.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

hate that fucking ironic weeb game

"lol xd these girls are so cute HAHA just kidding it's actually a horror game. TRICKED YOU"

love that fucking ironic weeb game

thanks for the help goys

Read tlcl

Step 1.
Put Appleshit tracking device into the garbage where it belongs.

reading thru the man-pages is a good start
linux.die.net/man/

even intro to linux books aren't absolutely terrible to read, but they are mostly worthless

sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/

>long boot time with black screen
Probably graphic driver. Check dmesg if there are any errors.
>Offline manual
Wouldn't recommend any. A lot of Linux minutia changed with systemd and deprecation of some core tools. Google is your friend, and Arch wiki/bbs is super useful even if you aren't running Arch.

>long boot time with black screen
Maybe the splash screen crashes / isn't configured properly. Try disabling it.

>Probably graphic driver.
even if it boots after the black screen?

Everything is intuitive, you just have wrong intuition.

Slow boot time could be solved by using a different init system. This isn't the sort of thing you generally change yourself, though, so maybe look into a distro without systemd. These are some choices:
>gentoo
>artix
>pclinuxos (might be the simplest)
>void
>devuan
>parabola (they have both with and without systemd versions)

As for learning, there's a decent "command line" course on codecademy that you should be able to complete comfortably in one sitting. It'll help you feel more comfortable at the terminal. This way you won't have to rely on as many graphical things, and you'll be able to reproduce your work on any desktop environment.

Some early things to figure out:
>install / update packages with your package manger from the terminal
>edit text from the terminal (nano/vim/emacs)
>something fun, whether it's a game like nethack, an irc client like irssi, or a music player like mpd+ncmpcpp. basically something to make you appreciate the terminal for more than just work

>Probably graphic driver
It's just my goto first troubleshot after years on Linux. But I posted the splash screen suggestion right after it. I haven't used a splashscreen in ages, but remembered last time they caused some issue and delayed the boot.

You don't have to listen to . By slow boot he means a couple of seconds more on less powerful hardware. On modern systems you won't notice the difference.

Some more tips,
>htop is a task manager
>'poweroff' and 'reboot' are valid commands
>you can change desktop environments/window managers without changing distros
>every distro has a forum and/or irc where you can get help
>there are several ways to do just about everything, but if you do them from the terminal using the most universal way, you can even get help from people with vastly different setups than you
>the archwiki is very detailed and helpful, even if you aren't on arch

use your xubuntu for a week or two, then install arch and use it till you feel that you got into linux, then >install gentoo
if after that you won't know what to research further, you can try lfs or developing some free software

linuxjourney.com/

baited nerd haha

Theres a couple great discord servers for linux. Start there if you want, the arch linux one is helpful even if you dont run arch.

Xubuntu is fun, start off by learning how to add repos, update your repos, search them, and install from them. Learn what sudo and root are.

Just use your PC as normal, and when you run into something that you dont know how to do, google it.

I disagree with the user that recommends the codeacademy course. Trial and error is the best way to learn linux in my experience. Also, dont be afraid the hop distros at the start.

op here, thanks for all the help

> long boot time
> implying you're supposed to turn a linux PC off

blame Monika

you should already know atl east how to update your linux and thats all you need for starters if you are looking for something advance i recommend superuser.com friendly forum they respond in like 2-4 hours

mind that edge, Yuri.

>that filename.

>when the game tells you it's a horror game
>feeling like it's a prank
>3/10 making me reply

try to add "pci=nomsi" in the kernel boot arg

tape "e" on the grub menu and add it near "quiet", then press F10

also xubuntu have xfce as desktop manager, it's basically the WinXP way, if you're not into that you can try KDE (Win7-like) or Gnome (Android-like)

You start by uninstalling it and installing bsd. All the cool kids use bsd.

god fucking bless you man, life saver