How accurate are these kill-a-watt things?

How accurate are these kill-a-watt things?

i have two pc's and one monitor plugged in and it says i'm using 180watts?

Put the processors under load.

380watts with both machines running prime95

Most monitors will run 15-30 watts. A desktop at idle 50-100.

Do you have a dedicated GPU? Run FurMark with it at the same time, that should give you a proper estimate of your max power usage.

Your PC uses a lot less power than you think (unless you’re thinking that’s a lot)

Gee user if only manufacturers put the accuracy of their measurement devices somewhere. Like if there was a piece of paper or webpage with the device specifications.

IIRC, it's around +/-2 or 5%

yeah exactly, i thought pc's would use anywhere from 400-500 watts per machine.

i'm in the process of purchasing a UPS so this practical information is very helpful to me.

Have 140W amd housfire with gpu, dual drives and it idles at 70W.

Also 2x24" monitors, those are 43W each.

Very accurate.

A PC will use a lot more when the GPU and CPU are under full load, it can vary between 80W idle and 300-400 or mote under full load.. depending on CPU/GPU.

Ad for power meters, even cheap ones are accurate enough. You get a fair idea even if it's a cheap one that's 5% off.

PC alone = 90 watts idle 425 watts under load here.

4770K @ 4.5Ghz
16GB DDR3 @ 2.2Ghz
5 HDD 1 SSD
Tuned RX Vega 56 on 64 BIOS @ 1120mV
6 120mm case fans and a few USB devices

Your computer (as in the box, with everything that's attached to it) will never use more power than what the PSU can provide because that's the only thing that is connected to the mains.

Your PSU will also never use more power than what your computer needs, with the overhead of efficiency.

The two biggest consumers of power are your GPU, your CPU, and the fans in your PC. I have a gtx950 and that uses up to 135W peak, and my i3 processor uses up to 60W peak for example, but usually the numbers are much lower because I mostly stare at spreadsheets all day

What could be the average watts of 7 120mm case fans?

>How accurate
Well, they ARE just guessing, after all, not like it's a science or anything...

Fans run from under a watt each to maybe a couple. Take 15w as a high estimate

Better to go high than low here, so 2W/fan

My pc on idle is around 180, on CPU only load around 430.
I used to have x 570s and everything maximum load it was like 860 total then one died and I replaced the other with a 960 since I don't even play as much as before.

These little guys are pretty accurate for what they are but if you want real precision you would get a fluke instead and do proper monitoring if this shit is for work and not home related curiosity.

Yeah that’s under full load, which even while gaming you probably won’t ever hit. You’ll be hovering around 75% usage at most usually. Under a full 3d video render it might hit 100%, but I wouldn’t count on it, depending on the software. My PC only hits like 275w during a game and I have a 4670k + GTX 770 OC’d.

Look in the back, then multiply the amperage by the voltage (usually 12V). That'll give a reasonable estimate in W.

I have one, and it's very accurate. it also keeps track of kilowatt usage, I made my roommate buy one, and pay for his desktop that he keeps under load 24/7. Shit is like $20 a month. 700 watt/hour

Good thinking user, fuck people who do that shit. Why does he keep it under load 24/7?