Linuxerino Pasterino

I'm soon going to university to study Electronic Engineering, although this is unrelated I was wondering what Linux should I get into for a starter.

I've been interested in technology since I can remember, I know how programming is in general but it's not beyond any novice knowledge. I don't consider myself a very skillful person on these subjects, so I wish to start somewhere.

Any suggestions? Keep in mind I've already tried several Linux distros without success as to how to make them work properly (Debian, Fedora).

Install gentoo

What does that mean?

If you're just looking for something that works, any user friendly distro should be good. Mint, Manjaro, elementary, Ubuntu..

you probably mean GNU/Linux, or how I call it; GNU plus Linux. Linux is just the kernel used in GNU Operating Systems.

I have been running ubuntu mate for quite a while and I recently switched to manjaro but for beginners I still recommend ubuntu mate. I am a first year electrical engineering student and in my experience is running linux not really a problem as far as compatability goes allthough I'd advice you to learn how wine works. The only program we use that I can't get to work under linux is labview(a piece of trash but we need it for some reason) so I would recommend keeping a windows system/dualboot around.

you're gonna fail, and also you won't learn anything in university if you really do "love technology" it's for schmucks now

You want to install Hannah Montana Linux or TempleOS for the greatest GNU[/][+]Linux experience. To further your skills as a programmer I suggest you learn the highly sophisticated Malbolge language or even HTML if you think you can handle the complexity.

Windows. You need MATLAB anyway

Just keep a dual boot around

/thread

for programming go for a rolling distro, I like Opensuse coz if I want to progamm in java, what I have to do is just install the java rpm groups

Matlab is available on Linux. At least it runs on my Ubuntu.

>not using Octave

>reddit meme invalidates a valid opinion

>Implying everyone would stick to GNU utilities

Linux is a kernel. Install GNU/Linux.

Install ubunut

/thread