Initial release date: August 16, 1993

>Not bloat
Iso image of the net installer is 300 something mb

>Website isn't cancerous what so ever
Compare other gnu/linux distro websites to debian.org

>Great wiki
wiki.debian.org/Xinitrc
wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse
wiki.debian.org/Uncomplicated Firewall (ufw)
wiki.debian.org/wl
etc etc etc

>Most friendly userbase

>Lots of distros based off of Debian
Ubuntu and mint leech the shit out of debian

>not a meme distro

Don't say debian has old packages or it has systemd in it.
If you don't like systemd use gentoo or void

etc etc etc etc etc

Other urls found in this thread:

debian.org
github.com/DaveDavenport/rofi/
ftp.us.debian.org/debian/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Prove me WRONG

I can't. I use it and it's awesome.

OKAY, ANYONE ELSE WANT TO DEBATE.

>durrrr why dont you use what i use

debian.org

I use Cinnamon Mint but that's Debian based. That count? At the time I was just trying to get rid of Windows on my laptop and liked the looks of the Cinnamon desktop.

What differences are there between running something Debian based and running Debian?

>lincux
>not using BSD

approved

>I use Cinnamon Mint
Just go back to windows. Mint and ubuntu is literally windows 7 tier. kys

Yes it has a familiar desktop environment but besides that it is still linux so fuck off.

>but besides that it is still linux so fuck off.
>linux
its called gnu/linux nigger faggot

>sudo apt-get remove basic-calculator
>1 package and 1067 dependencies will be removed. Is this ok? (Y/n)

But does it make it easy to compile packages on your own?

I like arch more.

>basic-calculator
nigger what?

Who really gives a damn?

arch is bloat

I haven't used debian/ubuntu in a long time, but I remember the entire desktop being wrapped into a giant metapackage dependency where removing one package removed the entire desktop.

No is not. If you have more than 1200 packages and you don't need it - that's your own fault.

You don't, go back to windows faggot.

slackware is older

I'm using i3, do you think dwm is a good wm? Can i see your dwm desktop

Why should I? Because some pretentious douchebag online doesn't like it that I don't use the right linux?

> I don't use the right linux?
the state of Sup Forums. i miss the old days.

Because declarative configuration and nixos.
Otherwise, yes, debian is best.

bu-but i do user, and i am happy with it. Really dont need anymore, is the most complete distro and non-autism based OS.

Also respects you but also got the option of install propietary software, true freedom

>tfw I use Debian
I like it, it's simple to use. It was my first distro as well, before using Arch and other memes for some time.
I have 2k+ packages though, I bet a huge chunk of them are due to Python.

Why? Did it make more sense back then because you sure as hell don't make any.

dwm is an elegant choice, it has a minimal configuration file with extra patches available at the authors website. Arch's dwm comes pango capable so you can see unicode characters images top right. That xsetroot is a common tool used with dwm to display time, weather, acpi, etc..

I don't like spoon feeding newfags.But It sure is easy to spot one.

Packages are too outdated. I don't want to have to keep managing version environments cause the repository is way behind.

But I am using already Ubuntu...

Cause I use CentOS, the patrician's choice.

Very nice man! I think im gonna switch, getting tired of i3 anyways. Would it be possible to post your config.h?

I came in going to find some user experiences with Debian. Instead I get attacked for the sin of having a different distro. When I installed Mint I did so because I didn't have the luxury of taking my time installing and learning linux when I had work to do. I liked to look of cinnamon so I made my choice.

Now I'm on holidays and was wanting to put a more robust OS on my laptop. I saw this thread and the first thing said to me is "go back to windows. Kys"?

I still want to learn debian but I sure as hell hope you aren't representative of the community.

I'm OP and my last thread got over 300 replies kek

>the actual state of debicucks
Imagine having to live under the shadow of Ubuntu for all eternity.

What a sad little man

Without debian, there would be no such thing as ubuntu.

because i use xubuntu and i care more about up to date and stable packages and a rice that works out of the box more than i care about bloat

pastebin.com/22ZetB50

I changed it only a little bit specially to use rofi apart from dmenu with alt+p

rofi is a cool program launcher
github.com/DaveDavenport/rofi/

>Debicucks keep telling that to themselves so they can pretend their irrelevant OS isn't irrelevant
Jesus Christ user, just switch to Arch or something actually useful.

>Why aren't you using debian?
I'm too old to accept outdated packages because of the politics game. When they refused to update libpcap because of a minor license change and I were stuck with an ancient version, I gave up Debian and never looked back.

I want to but I'm going to miss Pacaur. How hard is it to install packages that aren't in the main repositories on Debian?

because I'm happy with Arch

itt samefags defending arch

Just add non-free or contrib to the end of the URL in /etc/apt/sources.list like this:
deb ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main non-free contrib

how is kde on debian ?

But don't you have to compile them from source and everything instead of just typing a simple command?

Nope. Debian has a binary based package manager.
sudo apt install and it will do the rest for you.

Oh that's cool... So what's the difference between apt install and apt-get?

I'm using it on debian stable right now. It has a few rough edges but it's blazing fast and stable in my intel/nvidia machine. I didn't like how it looked by default, but that's nothing you can't fix with kde.

Apt also has commands from apt-cache to search packages, for example. apt-get lacks that.

comfy

Because it got taken over by social justice fuckwads who bullied Ian to death.

You're still running oldstable. You might want to upgrade to stable, mate.

I thought he was raped by a police woman then he killed himself.

That was after he was bully.
He then went in a mental breakdown and tweeted some shit.
Then got 5-0'd
Then got let out and tweeted some more shit and 'topped himself'.

>tomate
>clearly cherries
But yeah, in several "popular gnu+linux distributions" the lengths of some dependency trees are absolutely haram.

I've used HardenedBSD and OpenBSD and I honestly prefer Debian to both of them at least for desktop usage. They aren't shit at all, I just prefer that there's more software for Debian and it's easier to run certain programs like qemu and virtualbox, along with the more widely used Linux gcc environment and it has better drivers for my mouse and what not. I'll probably use a BSD as a server though; they were pretty nice to use.

I ran debian 5 through 7 as primary OS on my home computer, then tried using 9 on a work laptop earlier this year. Samba never worked properly, nearly bloated myself up to 4000 installed packages, decided fuck it & went back to distro-hopping limbo. Comfy, comfy limbo.

>kde
>blazing fast
user, didn't your parents teach you that the internet is not a place for telling lies?

dwm is blazing fast.

I'm using devuan. for freedom from systemd.

Void

Because everyone keeps pulling at me in different directions.
>Ubuntu, Gentoo, Debian, Solus, Arch, Kali...

I don't even fucking know how to decide.

Debian you cunt. close this tab right now.

wow I just test KDE on debian testing and it was shit, laggy, the suspend didn't works correctly, and was slow to start (2 min)
and I don't if it's normal but it's seem upgrade fuck some of my .conf, like my /etc/default/grub and my firefox .conf

I hadn't problems like that on Tumbleweed

I'm just gonna install Kubuntu with backport, rolling are a pain in the ass

>Dat diacritic

Stop trying to critique him you miserable fuck.

It's a god damn operating system relax

Debian is for servers you fucking morons. Get a desktop distro.

I use it for both :P

Yea, im deciding too, from what i gather Kali is just not suited for everyday use for some reason and Arch is very barebones you gotta add everything.

You can use Kali, and do some everyday stuff, but you should really know what you're doing. Chances are you don't need to use all that kali has to offer. I would think it as a swiss army-eske distro.

Why do you want to run linux?

I want to learn, I'm buying a 2nd hand laptop planning to put linux on it and learn bash or whatever shell, after that ill just use it for coding.

How old is the laptop, and what's the brand?

I mean it will probably be a thinkpad or some other sort of business laptop, dunno how old it ends up being as long as it has a decent i5 or i7, also looking for some good battery life though.

If you want something like Kali, check out Parrot. It's based off of debian buster

Even though I love debian and kali, It's a fucking bitch to get drivers working. I would recommend OpenSuse, Ubuntu, or LinuxMint (Though personally, I've never tried the latter); whatever can get you up and running the fastest. As long as it's gnu/linux, the core utils don't really change.

Here's a post of mine from another thread that might benefit you if you want to start learning linux.
I hope you enjoy computing!

Thanks man, I saved those books. I'll see what ends up happening with the distro

Got tired of arch's tedious bullsht but also didnt want bloat. Didnt take me to get xfce and i3gaps running. Used to use kde + i3gaps on arch but as much as i love kde its a buggy fucking mess.

Np, I wish someone helped me out years ago.

Because its repos are full of outdated packages that I can't tune with USE flags.

because a lot of free software is unusable garbage. I like Linux overall but I can't drop proprietary software completely which is the point of Debian in the first place

My home server runs Debian because it is incredibly stable and once I have everything configured I want it to run for years with minimal effort. Debian is fantastic for this.

For desktop use I want newer software, so I use Kubuntu--LTS for workstations and the newest release for my daily driver laptop.

Debian is literally a big mom (from one piece) of linux distros.

Debian is good but if you are looking for easy distros go ubuntu or mint.

Also you can go redhat or fedora

Other distros literally doesent count (most of linux versions of many software outside repos(like discord or teamwiever or most games on GOG) are in .deb supported by debian family or .rpm supported by redhat family)

Semi off topic but honestly I'm new to running just a WM instead of a full desktop environment, currently openbox on Debian stretch with tint2 and polybar. Is there any way to make this just as functional as a DE without some of the bloat? I honestly love how it looks (except gtk programs, if anyone can recommend me a gtk theme that looks good and works with pywal lmk) and it's blazing fast but I find myself wasting time on things that are two clicks away on your standard DE.

I have a Cisco router/modem. Cisco systems XB3 DPC3939. I took the plunge and installed Kali last night on my PC, I can get connection via plugging in directly to the comp, but I cannot get the OS to recognize my wifi, or to turn on monitoring. I get an iEEE error. What I need is a driver for my modem, but I cannot find one for the life of me, does anyone know where I can get the driver? and if not, would connecting a wifi router to my current router help? I need the router for my cable. Thanks.

>social contract
yeah, nope, never signed such a contract. fuck off to soviet russia, commie

kill yourself for being a retard

I use it on my VPS and on one of my SBCs

great post
honestly this kind of bullshit is why peoplee dontuse linux

Continuing to reap the fruits of civilization, like the Internet you're using to shitpost on, is consent. Feel free to fuck off to a cabin in the woods, Kaczynski-style, if you want to really "go Gault."

You won't be missed.

But I am.
It's really fucking stable, didn't have it it break once.
It just seems and that is all I want.

No thanks, I use Freebsd. ZFS is nice and performance is much better on my T400.

eat a dick

This.

>that picture
You got to be shitting if you think that this is what net neutrality is about
All the big companies that clog the Internet with useless garbage like Google, Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, Facebook, Twitter, Netflix, Wikipedia and whatever other shit I forgot are the ones SUPPORTING net neutrality
Those filthy multinational tax-evading scums are centralizing the Internet and convinced the masses that without them there is no Internet
They fill the minds of the people with liberal propaganda, misinformation and fake news
This is bullshit. We don't need Javascript filled crapsites, we don't need fucking appstores, we don't need bloated webmail and social platforms, we don't need wiki-pedias and other fake news outlets

NET NEUTRALITY IS WHAT ALLOWS THOSE GREEDY BASTARDS TO TAKE OVER THE INTERNET

Fuck net neutrality, I hope with the end of net neutrality the swamp that breeds those leeches will drain and the Internet will become decentralized again