*clicks and scratches*

*clicks and scratches*

Other urls found in this thread:

backblaze.com/blog/what-smart-stats-indicate-hard-drive-failures/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

*dies*

>start writing data to hard drive
*loud thumping coming from hard drive*

Based HDDs giving audible warnings of drive failure. Would like to see a SSD do that.

This is why RAID/Erasure encoding.

yeah, I know, but SSDs ruin it by not failing. Damn them.

>hgst deathstar

Is it fucked Sup Forumsurus?

>Be me
>Bought 160GB Seagate Barracuda in June 2005
>Still works after 60,000+ hours (6.8 years runtime)

I won the Seagate lottery.

It's all fun and games till your RAID 5 goes down and somebody starts crying.

is there an alternative external harddrives that are affordable

i thought about making a raid drive out of flash drives because i keep on dropping external harddrives and they end up not working again

is there an alternative to external harddrives that is affordable?*

>i keep on dropping external harddrives and they end up not working again

STOP DROPPING THE FUCKING HARD DRIVES, YOU INCOMPETENT FUCKING RETARD.

Should I go Seagate or WD for 1 TB?
And what color?

>i keep on dropping external harddrives and they end up not working again

WD Green for maximum 1tb comfy

Aren't those good for servers tho?

I've had the same # of pending sectors for like 2 years now, with no reallocated sectors. What gives?

That has been the worst HDD I've ever bought. I owned 3 of those greens and they all shit out on me in less than 6 months. Don't buy.

*stops working within 2 hours*

whatever you do, don't fall for the SMR meme if you're gonna rewrite stuff on it often

works great for cold storage archive tho

WD green and blue is shit tier, avoid it

Reallocated Sector Count: 6

What do you buy then? Even Toshiba is shit these days.

>be me
>buy three 15k drives
>happy.jpg
>10 min later one dies
>bad luck probably
>another one dies a week later

Enterprise and surveillence hdd

blue used to be good until they became rebranded greens

BASED Premium product
5yr warranty
great non tinfoil performance for everyday task

I have over 20 of these and I've only ever had two die on me after 1 and 2/3 years of 24/7 use. hard drives fail, get redundant storage.

>not buying a WD Black

It's almost like.....
All of it is basically the same...Wow...

>go to store asking for WD Black
>they gave me WD SE instead

>Paying a premium for a drive just so you can compete with the barracuda, which happens to be the cheapest alternative
Either you got memed, your a dumb fanboy or your a shill

Apparently mine is in perfect health, but it's been making annoying vibration noises when under stress ever since I've had it unless I put some heavy item on the HDD cage. And it's beyond annoying in an otherwise fairly silent build.

HDD colour should match your LEDs for maximum compatibility. Don't pick a different one unless you're an expert.

WD Black. I got this one back in 2014 to use as a main drive, as of this summer I'm using it for storage, haven't had a problem with it yet.
It'll cost you a few more bucks than the seagate but the performance is comparable and I've found these to be more reliable, also you get a 5 year warranty.

If they make any noise at all, is it time to back up? One of my drives is making a faint noise but I'm very strapped for cash this month

Check SMART to see if it gone bad.

And, this link explains the SMART data fields to watch out for:

backblaze.com/blog/what-smart-stats-indicate-hard-drive-failures/

I always wondered, what happens with the faulty drive when you take it for replacement. Do they check what's on it? Or do they merely check if the drive is indeed dying/dead?

what program is that?

>WD Black
don't forget the matching earplugs for that trumpet

they upload the image to Utah for record-keeping

>don't forget the matching earplugs for that trumpet

fuck, tablet generation crybabbies like you are so annoying.

>OH GOLLY GEE THE PC MAKES NOISE HOW HORRIBLE

I need a 6~8tb HDD. I will use it for seeding, mostly.
WD or SG? And what color? I guess I should go WD Red or SG Firecuda.

I want to get a nice external to use as a media drive that I can encrypt and copy files to as I sort them. Are there any specific considerations I have to take into account when buying or is pretty much anything good for this? It will mostly hold my FLACs and movies and stuff, maybe a couple vidya that are friendly for playing on the go.

Thanks!

Red has higher failure rate than ironwolf.
i dont think you're going to use firecuda's ssd cache effectively

>tfw my RAM begins failing before my HDDs do

Welp. At least I can no longer say I fell for the 4GB of RAM meme.

are these even that good? I was under the impression these hybrid drives were still hot shit.

Oh, ironwolf it is. So should I go for that? Id move it to a home server/seedbox in the future, and right now I usually run my PC 24/7 to seed.

bait
>afordable
>implying i want to help a moron break a good hard drive.

no.
Seagate is cheaper but get the pro edition.
all my seagates still run.
that said i would buy a WD black way over everything the down side is they tend to die on warranty end from experience.

Your not very orginal are you?

>dies

my old disc did that i just put a lamp on top of the pc but where it wouldnt block fans

google photos has truly free unlimited storage for common video and image file formats

i just said it was loud you fucking cuck

Already had 2 SSDs fail without warning, so no worries.

500,000,000,000 Rupees (0.00 USD) have been deposited to your account.

ahhh the notorious Seagate 7200.11

I had every single of those die on me suddenly.

My WD green sounds like a coffee machine. Any time I start a program it snores like a sleeping cat.

I had two out of three die in a month, they were notoriously bad apparently. But I didn't know that at the time.

What's the point of the Black drive now that SSDs exist?

WD Blue, Black, Red or Green?
Also is Seagate gud now?

They have good warranty. It may not be the end all be all when it determining the longevity and quality of the product but it can give a rough idea.

Can you clone an entire hdd to an ssd with the os and everything on it as if you never switched? I'm getting nervous and need an upgrade anyway, but reinstalling the os would be such a hassle.

Quite a lot of manufacturers already offer software with that functionality in mind, provided that you use that software with the SSD they manufacture. Samsung, for example, offers the Magician software for free on their website.

i bought a 4 tb external hdd from them after one use it was fucked and i ha to return it
fucking seagate
although i have a 2 tb seagate drive in use for many years which works flawlessly

I need to upload my stuffs on the internet. What's a good free "cloud" storage?

None of them

You know, as much as we know about hdd failure rates as consumers, how much do we know about how drives break down?

Assume you have access to a cleanroom and all the spare parts you need, would it be possible to maintain a drive thats only beginning to fail and keep it in top condition for years, much like an engine?

With all those spare parts, why not just make a new hard drive and clone the old one before it fails?

google drive it is. Thanks my man for the contribution

The idea is not to have to do that, like when an hd starts making scratching sounds, its usually because the needle is loose right? By opening it in a cleanroom and either replacing the needle or tightening/realigning it, could we not make it like new again without having to replace it?

Don't be a nigger, user.

Yes. SATA drivers will have to be reinstalled for the drive, however. But I've done it several times without a hitch.

What is this clicking and scratching you're talking about. Never heard it.

Hang in there little drive.

>Hang in there little drive.
you can do it!

Not that user, but all my fans are basically silent unless I'm under heavy load, but intermittently my HDD will start buzzing.

So when shitposting, or working, or watching videos or movies, or basically doing anything that isn't heavy gaming or rendering, everything will be quiet and then suddenly the FUCKING SWARM OF WASPS WAKES THE FUCK UP.

Did you ram it into a fucking wall? Your hard drive shouldnt be that loud.

I exaggerated a bit. It's not really deafening like a literal swarm of wasps might be. It's definitely loud enough to clearly hear over a movie or game though.

It's been doing that ever since I first put it in a couple of years ago, and I have had zero problems in terms of data (including perfectly healthy SMART), so I've learnt to live with it. Sticking a sheet of paper folder about three times under a corner of my PC often helps silence it for a while, and when it kicks up again I'll usually just switch the paper to another corner.

>need new hdd for videos and games
>check amazon reviews
>REEEEE X DIED WITHIN Y MONTHS NEVER AGAIN!!!!
help, seagate, wd or toshiba?
I have a Seagate in my main pc and a wd blue in my other, should I go for toshiba just because?
Also are wd blue 5400rpm now?

ive got a 3tb ironwolf.

great drive so far

looks like it needs zeroing

*just keeps working*

lowest noise hdd and never failed me.

Toshiba

It might be a bad cable or port.

Send help pls

holy fuck seagate is literal garbage. Put one in my thinkpad and that piece of dogshit died in a month.

Mine is almost 10yo and is still running, not much used though.

I hate threads like this. I have my whole life on three drives with 40,000+ hours each and no backups.

>1 read error, 266 interface crc error count

The cable is fucked and causes errors. The drive is fine.

I once had to return 3 drives because of that until I decided to try a different cable. Got no errors after that for years. I opened up the bad cable, turned out that one of the data pins was bent so it touches a ground pin. I was lucky that it didn't short the entire fucking board.

get yourself a backup HDD then. or create a RAID1

HD Tune.

>get yourself a backup HDD then
Alas, I am but a poor NEET existing as a parasite on my parents.

Get a job.

I have Seagate drives that have been running for 8+ years. Samsungs were still better though, faster and quieter.

how much of data are we talkung about?

>That feel when I still have a 250gb HDD that has been spinning for 12 years now