High quality video output profile (goes into mpv.conf):
Stable: profile=opengl-hq
Git: profile=gpu-hq

Configuration Files:
mpv.io/manual/master/#configuration-files
mpv.io/manual/master/#files

Input.conf:
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/blob/master/etc/input.conf

Post your system specs and config if you're asking performance related questions.

Windows Builds:
sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files/

Other urls found in this thread:

mpv.io/manual/master/#options-tscale
github.com/wm4/mpv-scripts#auto-profileslua
github.com/bjin/mpv-prescalers/tree/master
gist.github.com/igv/36508af3ffc84410fe39761d6969be10
sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bump

my mpc-hc died, I guess I have to switch over to mpv but what the fuck am I supposed to put in my conf to make it good?

could someone post their mpv.conf on T420?

Whatever you want, profile=gpu-hq is a good start

I'm not changing my loyal Bomi player

i'm actually switching to mpv and currently fiddling around with the config, does anyone have a neat/nice looking osd I can get ideas from?

I like progressbar and slimbox

Does anyone have any information on how I could edit the display of subtitles? I love this player, but the subs are too big. I'd prefer them to be smaller and below the letterbox at the bottom of the screen whenever possible.

Look at sub-ass-force-margins and sub-use-margins for the subs in black bars, and sub-font-size.

God bless ya, user.

Does MPV have the ability to store how far I've gotten in each file?

In MPC I could easily close a file and reopen it later and continue watching from the exact location I stopped.

Without this feature MPV is unusable to a guy like me that watches a lot of long documentaries.

Yes
save-position-on-quit
It's the greatest thing ever

I know, right? I love not having to either commit to watching a 9 hour documentary about Russia in one sitting or having to play bait-fetch with the trackbar.

Anyway thanks man.

my goddess Haruhi is so cute

i have a small problem. having interpolation gets me a lot of frame drops in windowed mode but full screen fixes it. is that normal?

Depends. mpv uses exclusive fullscreen, maybe you don't have enough processing power in windowed, as DWM can be rather GPU-intensive.
Try
opengl-backend=angle
angle-egl-windowing=yes
hwdec-codecs=all

sweet that fixed it. thanks!

>mpv uses exclusive fullscreen
What? Really?
Why is it so much better than madvr then? madvr takes over my entire computer when it's in exclusive fullscreen

anyone knows if there is an option to only disable the time seek message, but still have the volume, sub delay etc messages available?

When will the stable version be updated?

>exclusive fullscreen
That's not quite true. When mpv is using flip-mode presentation (the default) and it goes fullscreen, it enters DirectFlip mode (windowed fullscreen,) where as long as there are no windows in front of it, it can temporarily skip composition and hand off frames directly to the driver. This is almost the same as exclusive fullscreen, except mpv doesn't obtain exclusive control of the device. I think the compositor is still in charge of timing, so on a multi-monitor system, I don't think mpv can render video faster than the refresh rate of the primary monitor.

Interesting, thanks
It works very well

>I don't think mpv can render video faster than the refresh rate of the primary monitor
I believe it can, unless I'm misunderstanding you
Back when haasn published his benchmark method on his blog I was getting upwards of 2000-2500 FPS. Much higher than my monitor could ever hope to display

Oh, I meant with VSync on. Like if you had a 60Hz display as your primary monitor and a 120Hz display as a secondary monitor, I don't think mpv can present VSynced frames to the secondary monitor at 120Hz because I think the compositor always renders the full desktop image at the rate of the primary monitor. In that situation, I think you need old-fashioned D3D11 exclusive fullscreen mode, which mpv doesn't support (yet.)

Ah I see, thanks for the clarification.

why does panning look so horrible, both in animu and in movies? Could it be because of my shit screen?
I don't have my config here right now so I can't paste

Try with interpolation, and a tscale like robidoux or triangle.

Is this retarded shit ever letting me resume video where I left of or have a non subhuman way to configure stuff?

It's literally answered earlier in the thread you stupi mongoloid.

No

Rumor has it that there's a hotkey chart in your very install folder with a binding for that

Does mpv have it's own version of svp, or do I have to re-compile it with proper flags and add spv support "manually"?

Welp
>do it
>video resumes
>but looks like this

What the fuck MPV

it's telling you to go back to mpc

Well I guess is the way to go
>open it with MPC
>it resumes
>it werks

Fuck this trash

cya

>muh broken animu files
kek

How do I run this on my Shield TV

Not that user but these are so much smoother! Thanks!
I've never even seen them mentioned before

Doesn't that run Android? Give mpv-android a try

i tried triangle and it does makes panning scenes in anime good but if you watch a real live video (not sure what term to use) it kinda adds motion blur to every thing so it feels slightly unnatural. pros and cons i guess

So how do I set MPV as the default for video protocols in windows 10? The old method doesn't work in the current win 10 build. It forces me to try to find an app from the app store for a default. I don't want to manually track down every files extension I can to change it by extension and still wind up missing some.

Not an issue with (auto)profiles!

>windows 10

original user here, so is the other one better for movies? That was mostly what I was asking for

>not an argument

neither is your graf

how does the auto profiles work in this case? i'm looking at the documentation but they're limited to protocols and extension.

is it possible for mpv to recognize it's a real or animated video?

I got help from another user here that put together a profile that detects audio language
If it detects Japanese as the primary or secondary language it automatically loads my secondary profile

wow that sounds awesome. do you mind uploading your config to a pastebin or something?

Sure, I'll be home in 15 minutes

Just. Read. The. Manual. In. OP.
mpv.io/manual/master/#options-tscale

>(use --tscale=help to get a list)

sorry for being a pleb but, where exactly do i enter --tscale=help on windows?

oh no

[A]
profile-desc=cond:get("track-list/1/lang", "") == "jpn" or get("track-list/2/lang", "") == "jpn"
scale=haasnsoft
cscale=haasnsoft
tscale=robidoux
glsl-shaders="~~/shaders/ravu-r3.hook"
glsl-shader="~~/shaders/SSimDownscaler.glsl"
You need the autoprofile script for this to work

Oh would you look at that, I need to fix up that shader line

thanks i'll try it out. anyway i'm also trying to figure out how to use those shaders but im too stupid to understand. do i need other dependencies?

You can remove the shader lines if you don't know what they are

Is vp9 decoding really buggy? On a laptop that has the Pentium N4200 running Fedora 27.

forgot to mention that it's hardware decoding

Open the terminal, or just type cmd in the search bar of windows. Then mpv --tscale=help.

Although, I recommend you do some google searchs about what algorithm is more useful for your interpolation needs.

Do note that you need the auto-profiles lua script for that to work
github.com/wm4/mpv-scripts#auto-profileslua

github.com/bjin/mpv-prescalers/tree/master
gist.github.com/igv/36508af3ffc84410fe39761d6969be10

If you have doubts, just say it.

hardware decoding is inherently buggy on many drivers.

It's a pretty weak laptop so I usually opt to use hardware decoding. h.264 seems to work fine, though. I'll guess I'll just have to use that when streaming youtube videos until the buggy vp9 playback gets fixed eventuallyâ„¢.

i got my mpv from sourceforge.net/projects/mpv-player-windows/files/ so it's kinda like portable, all in one folder. is that why it doesnt work? i just get "mpv is not recognized bla bla"

yeah i'm actually reading it but nothing makes sense to me rofl. i tried to ctrl+f the commands there, at the documentation, but nothing gives. another user said i need auto-profiles lua script so i'm researching that now.

>Press SHIFT, right-click the .exe, and then click Copy as Path.

Put that (the location of your .exe) with --tscale=help. Should work.

Download as .zip. Put the hook files in \AppData\Roaming\mpv\shaders and then put a line in your config. Example: glsl-shaders-append="C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\mpv\shaders\ravu-r4.hook"

hm nothing happened

Open cmd in the directory that mpv is in

ah okay it worked now. had to delete .exe from the copied path. thanks a lot!

My graph shows Sup Forums mostly uses windows 10, so this is an issue for > 1/2 of the people on Sup Forums will have trying to set up mpv on windows 10. So simply saying
>hurr durr, he's using windows
Isn't a valid reason to dismiss this issue. There's your argument. It's sad I had to spell that out for you.

>"C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Roaming\mpv\shaders\ravu-r4.hook"

how do i know the shaders are applying? i took screenshots to compare but the difference is almost non-existent. (i tried ravu-r4 and ravu-r4-rgb)

however i compared the ravu-r4-rgb vs ewa_lanczossharp screenshot in the wiki and the difference was huge.

1. how do i check if the shaders are applying?

2. am i supposed to delete ewa_lanczossharp in my config to use shaders?

3. is it because it won't a difference for 1080p video on a 1080p monitor?

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to mpv. I'm using it on Windows and I'm just trying to make a config that outputs a good image. I'm using the latest git version on a Thinkpad X220.

Here's my config:

profile=gpu
hwdec=d3d11va
gpu-context=angle
scale=spline36
dscale=mitchell
framedrop=no
autofit-larger=1366x720

Also, pic related. Am I doing it right?

>fiddling with code and complicated shit when you can just launch a video with VLC and watch it just the same
can someone explain why you do this? i can understand personal gratification, but is there some real advantage? a video's quality is what it is, you can't make the bitrate higher for instance.
not trolling, genuinely curious. i'm a videofag so i'm ready to tackle this if i feel it would really have even minor improvements, but i don't understand what they would be.

Hey Sup Forums, i don't have an mpv.config file, how can i get one?
This question is probably fucking stupid, sorry.

>code
these are config files
much more powerful than really bloated GUIs that try to give every option possible
>a video's quality is what it is, you can't make the bitrate higher for instance
They're called scaling artifacts, retard. There are also other things like banding and noise that, while part of the video, can actually be removed in real time.

i created it.

a movie's image is what it is, though. the director, the editor, the colorist have made some choices, and these choices often carry part of the essence of a film. why would you fuck with that just so you can be proud you made it look shinier, and not watch it as it is, for what it is?

[spoiler] unless you just watch blockbusters, hollywood or cookie-cutter series and you're bored of them all looking the same, that is, but i don't [/spoiler]

I'd recommend adding profile=gpu-hq, and removing your cscale and dscale lines
If you're already downloading proper encodes then 95% of what mpv offers is personal, modularity is a huge part of it for me
Also there's plenty of content out there that was never released in high quality, a good media player can make said content look pretty good
Just try it out, it's particularly good with Animation but improvements can be found in all types of content (especially considering you're coming from VLC...)

FSRCNNX vs FSRCNN-HQ? Which one provides the best quality? I don't really care about performance.

Ironically VLC is the one that fucks with colours
You don't have to fuck around with video related setitngs you know

How does one do this?

>a movie's image is what it is, though. the director, the editor, the colorist have made some choices
Do you even know what banding is, you idiot? video-fag my ass. You don't even know that an artifact is an artifact and just assume "muh artistic vision"
You didn't even address the problem with scaling artifacts. I assume you have absolutely no idea what they are because of your vapid response.

literally create it

I believe FSRCNNX is superior when it comes to lower quality content

>mfw there are people on Sup Forums that don't know how to change an extension

>1. how do i check if the shaders are applying?
Press i. Then press 2 to change to the second page of stats. That one show shaders stats. (Stats.lua was merged in actual builds, if don't work, google mpv stats.lua download it put it in \AppData\Roaming\mpv\scripts and try again.)
>2. am i supposed to delete ewa_lanczossharp in my config to use shaders?
Is useful to have it sometimes when your manual shader don't upscale completely a video. For example a 240p video.
>3. is it because it won't a difference for 1080p video on a 1080p monitor?
You still can do supersampling. Just copy the shader line twice in the config.

>(i tried ravu-r4 and ravu-r4-rgb)
Ravu-r4 upscale balck and white (details u can see), ravu-r4-rgb do that plus colors so u would see (if you can see) any improvement only in matter of color brightness.

Sorry, I honestly still don't know what you mean. I know how to change an extension, but what file do I change?
I'll just go back to /jp/ now

open notepad and save it as mpv.conf

create a blank text file. Put in the config details you want. Change the name.

what should i be looking out for in the second page of stats? i dont see a difference with or without the shader line. (also tried without append).

>I'd recommend adding profile=gpu-hq, and removing your cscale and dscale lines

I tried this, but it makes my laptop run a bit hot. Hotter than the config I posted above. My Thinkpad only has Intel HD Graphics 3000.

Do these frame timings look fine? I don't know much about any of this.

here

I should've noted that this screenshot was taken when using gpu-hq.

most of the time you don't want 0 dropped/delayed frames so i guess you're fine

you don't want any*