Buying a hard drive in 2018-20/365

Based on what I've read and experienced first hand, most hard drives manufactured after the 2011 Thai flood are absolute garbage.

My Samsung drive from 2019 is still working fine, yet the other drive from Toshiba bought in 2014 is now at death's door (reallocated sector count >0).

I know Backblaze publishes reports on hard drive reliability, but many of the models they use aren't even sold to consumers buying one or two at a time, and their workload is not representative of home desktop or home server use.

I also know that "enterprise" drives don't necessarily have longer life than consumer-grade drives.

How do you pick a hard drive in this day and age? I just need a 3 or 4TB SATA drive to put in my mini server.

Other urls found in this thread:

wdc.com/products/internal-storage/wd-red.html#WD40EFRX
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

sell future HDD and get mad buckz

I meant 2010, not 2019.

Just buy whatever drives your need and have proper backup in place in case of failure. You could buy a Hitachi and wind up being that 0.001% that suffers a crash. Such is life.

Any drive to avoid though? Seagate consumer line used to be complete shit, and I hear WD Blue is absolute shit also.

First off user, don't fucking buy 5400RPM drives, they're shit at everything

>don't buy seagate
>mini server? RAID some 7200 1TB together

Shucked 8TB Reds are legit the best thing ever. God's gift to data hoarders.

Seagate still is shit. avoid at all cost
I have a WD blue for 5 years of constant use. No issues. But n=1, so yeah.
Best bet is hgst/hitachi

they're expensive though

What's you definition of expensive? $130-$150is pretty damn good for 8TB reds(whites).

What? They're the best price per TB that you can get that isn't Seagate SMR garbage.

>tfw we wouldn't be dealing with this racket of ever increasing failure rate for same price or worse per GB had either Samsung or Hitachi not sold their HDD business to competitors

>Best bet is hgst/hitachi

even for notebooks?

You shuck them like

Buy any drive you like. Reliability comes from RAID and backups.

>Buy three Western Digital 1TB drives
>One of them dead right out of the box
>Other failed in a month
Good thing these fucking things have two year warranties, jfc.

When buying new drives, check that they are new with CrystalDiskInfo.

But what about warranty?
Also isn't it bad to have a more than 2TB on an HDD? (loses all at once).

4 years old next month

Just don't buy new drives. They can fail in the first 6 months, if they don't they will last.

Cop a bunch of second hand hitachis, toshibas and hgst.

>tfw drive is dying
All my others are going strong as hell, but I really need some new drives.

>What are WD Reds
You're a fucking idiot
wdc.com/products/internal-storage/wd-red.html#WD40EFRX

Back to the autism containment center, user

Then buy a new drive

>reallocated sector count
Is there a way of telling if a hard drive is about to fuck up or something? Would be handy to know.

I use 4x4TB WD Reds in RAID-Z2. I've lost one of them but got a new one on warranty. I keep a spare to be able to swap out a failed on immediately.

If it's not increasing it's fine.
I have a ST31000528AS that was at 200, now 488 a few months later. I can't trust it with anything.
Seagate's issue is they're hit or miss. They have fine lines and they have defective ones, but you don't know which is which until people start buying them and reporting it. So somebody has to be fucked over.
The WD Blue EZEX 1TB was stout. As was the ST1000DM003. Seagate's 2TB and 3TB were defective post-flood and it took them several years to fix them but they seem fine now. I think one of their large externals (5TB?) is pretty bad but I haven't kept up with it.

>Then buy a new drive
That's the plan, I'm waiting for a sale on a few 4+TB ones so I can put them in a server and call it a day.

I bought 6x WD reds 8TB almost a year ago, run them in raid5, not a single failure

Isn't ironwolf good? Is it shit too?

I've been told that Reds are not good for daily use drives that spin up and down a lot. Is this true? Is there a different drive I should buy for a machine that sees at least one power cycle per day?

In my personal(!) experiences I've seen a whole lot more WD's die than any other brand. All sudden deaths by click-of-death also. I used to get seagates. Never a problem. Other people who had them got bad sectors quite fast, but never instant deaths. That was all a long time ago though. My current drives are of pretty much every brand. The oldest being 2 samsungs, a very old Seagate (I'm talking 8 years old) and an almost as old WD all running fine. So, don't sweat it, but just get a simple miror RAID nonetheless, just in case. I did.

I bet S.M.A.R.T. crash that people here don't know where the dance comes from.

>But what about warranty?
Put them back into the external case and done.

>Also isn't it bad to have a more than 2TB on an HDD? (loses all at once).
RAID and backup.

>When buying new drives, check that they are new with CrystalDiskInfo.
>Just don't buy new drives.

thx Sup Forums.

>>Just don't buy new drives.
That retarted, you don't know how much abuse a drive did have before you buy it.
>Owner of 2 used drives that are failing after a year.