/gg/ - Gentoo General

gg/ - Gentoo General

gentoo.org
Quick Install: wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Quick_Installation_Checklist
Quicker Install: chiru.no/u/installgentoo.txt
Prebuilt Gentoo image and binhost: ca.cloveros.ga
Packages: packages.gentoo.org
FAQ: gitgud.io/cloveros/cloveros/blob/master/FAQ.md
IRC: #gentoo on irc.freenode.net | #cloveros on irc.rizon.net (all questions or help welcome)

Come here for help or general questions, post your configuration, discuss packages or overlays, CloverOS, post your desktop, anything else Gentoo, etc. Newfriends welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/autobuilds/20171208T180422Z/stage3-amd64-20171208T180422Z.tar.bz2
gpo.zugaina.org/www-client/waterfox-bin
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Have you installed funtoo today?

the boobs are too big on the booru

go open up gimp then

Emerging cairo-1.14.2
checking whether float word ordering is bigendian... ERROR: ld.so: object 'libsandbox.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
/usr/bin/strings: 'conftest': No such file
ERROR: ld.so: object 'libsandbox.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (cannot open shared object file): ignored.
/usr/bin/strings: 'conftest': No such file
unknown
configure: error:

Unknown float word ordering. You need to manually preset
ax_cv_c_float_words_bigendian=no (or yes) according to your system.

Send help pls.

Anyone using lightdm-webkit-greeter on vanilla gentoo? What's the way you installed it?

Obviously I could fix it manually. The problem is the LD_PRELOAD libsandbox shit.

Why are you even emerging 1.14.2, when it's no longer in ::gentoo? What's wrong with current stable?

Whoops, that was a mistype. It should be 1.14.12

Question remains, I guess.

Yeah I guess I'll roll back to stable. I had it keyworded for a reason, but I can't remember why and portage isn't complaining.

>OS
Gentoo
>DE/WM
Enlightenment
>Video/Music player
Enlightenment
>Image viewer
Enlightenment
>File Manager
Enlightenment
>Text Editor
Enlightenment
>Shell
Enlightenment
>Terminal
Enlightenment

Doing chiru.no gentoo quick install, trying to get it right first time. Am I supposed to un-cd after rm stage3* ?
First gentoo install.

No.

>chroot .

Why the fuck is not wiki working ;_;

Btw, the wget part of it won't work anymore, get it like this

wget distfiles.gentoo.org/releases/amd64/autobuilds/20171208T180422Z/stage3-amd64-20171208T180422Z.tar.bz2

What uses would BTRFS snapshots have in relation to Portage?

Do I un-chroot after CPU_FLAGS... ?

No

Thanks everyone.

How often should I upgrade my kernel? Will things break if I leave it too many versions between upgrades?

The stable gentoo-sources is good. It bumps up every few months.

Will check it out, ty

hello, here is my gentoo desktop

love it

that's nice to hear know, user

nice to hear*

me on the right

Shit Sup Forums bugged out on me sorry guys text in the screenshot.

Got my Gentoo installation done
Running i3wm atm.

What is the best way to fully automatize kernel updates with boot directly from uefi?
The wiki way you still have to rebuild the modules manualy.

Use a script and cron

not the elegant solution i was looking for but ty.
Any good way to call the emerge @module-rebuild from the kernel post_install?

use fluxbox

A E S T H E T I C S
2 0 1 3

nice, very aesthetic

a

Can you post the wallpaper please?

If you want a gentoo that just werks, you can use openbsd instead. all the control with slightly less aspergers.

But Gentoo already just werks

May be in a decade when amdgpu is ported

IIRC the kernel install script calls scripts from /etc/kernel/postinst.d/
alternatively don't use `make install`, but copy the bzImage manually (inside a script, ofc). If you use EFISTUB booting, copy the bzImage without version number, something like $esp/gentoo.efi so it stays static (and gentoo-old.efi for a backup kernel). This way you don't need to muck around with efibootmgr etc. every kernel update.

Anyone tested Funtoo packages on Gentoo?
They should be the same right? Not much chgend there?

Enlightenment is pretty good

funtoo gave my computer AIDS

How heavy are the custom animated/interactive desktop backgrounds these days for a modern hardware? They were kinda fun to mess with in DR17 a decade a go

Any OS that can't run bluetooth by design is the most autistic by default in any comparison.

Take it to the BSD thread.

not too bad actually, it's probably the heavier WM, but it still can be customized to use less resources as needed. I might try it on my thinkpad for a test.

How do I automate emerge --sync or some other activity?

cron?

Thanks.
I should probably contact Sergey Brin about my Google ban, it was a pretty dumb question now that I think about it.

What happened to the wiki? It has been down for a while now.

i already automated the process of compiling and copying the kernel to /boot with the name my UEFI recognises, from the post_pkg_postinst() of portage.

The problem is i need to use portage to rebuild modules (nvidia drivers) but it fails if i call it from the post_pkg_postinst because portage is already running.

What do you mean? The one and only good gentoo wiki seems to be working just fine.

Are there any bootloaders like systemd-boot but without systemd? Grub is bloat and I don't want to bother with efistub

The package database hasn't worked properly as long as I can remember though.

Why doesn't gentoo have a torrent? I'm sticking to debian(net iso)

because debian(net iso) is a better installation medium for gentoo anyway, you only need a shell to do it

like other distros, it has a ton of mirrors

> I can't torrent a minCD, so fuck this distro.
Are you retarded?
Also, you can use whatever bootable media is available, gentoo is installed manually/

I have installed Gentoo over 20 times, and I am becoming increasingly efficient at it.

It has. Plus you don't need the Gentoo ISO, you can use just about any liveUSB/CD/DVD with a prompt, internet connectivity and filesystem creation utilities (most of them) to install.

I personally used Sabayon and Sysrescuecd more than Gentoo's own iso.

a

Say I wanted to install waterfox with portage.

Could I use layman to add the waterfox github repository as a new source on portage and then I could just emerge the package?

gpo.zugaina.org/www-client/waterfox-bin

fix enlightenment and the bashprofile entry.

Do you have a kik or discord I can ask you a few questions at?

>kik or discord

#gentoo on freenode irc

How do I disable this crap?
My system is definitely not a SoC.
The "Selected by" list is pretty long, and flags like "THERMAL" and "PCI" are among them. Does that mean that non-SoC options require this piece of code?

Also, portage for some fucking reason keeps trying to install "libreoffice-bin" during --update, even though I unmerged it long ago and installed just "libreoffice".
Now they keep blocking each other, and portage seems to ignore the fact that I masked "libreoffice bin". It's driving me insane.

Been really nice putting this machine together. Building it all up manually from the start of the handbook and then into getting a desktop manager and graphical login. Gonna just slowly start customizing it now. I gotta find myself a lighter weight browser though, this machine is really low end. Think once I get a better grip on it I'll get myself some more power.

Thanks for all the help here is what I wanted to say.

I think I figured it out. 'libreoffice-bin' was still in the @world set. The question "why the fuck" remain though. God, this distro pisses me off sometimes.

do i use gcc-6.4 or 7.* for ryzen?

Something else probably depends on that.

Both has ryzen support, your choice.

>Finally, --numeric-owner is used to ensure that the user and group IDs of the files being extracted from the tarball will remain the same as the Gentoo release engineering team intended, even if adventurous users are not using official Gentoo installation media.
>adventurous users
":D"

I have a problem with my chink USB DAC. Pulseaudio doesn't see it, xorg log says it's tagged as a keyboard by udev so it tries to use it as one. I've tried enabling every single sound-related kernel module there is with no luck. It just werks on other distros, so I tried using kernel config from arch, but boot fails claiming my root partition doesn't exist and judging by google I'm literally the second person to ever use a usb dac on gentoo, and the first one had no luck either, so I have no other ideas on what to do.

Check dmesg? Also try another usb cable/port.

[98250.534844] usb 1-1.1: new high-speed USB device number 5 using ehci-pci
[98250.668879] usb 1-1.1: New USB device found, idVendor=040d, idProduct=3410
[98250.668883] usb 1-1.1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[98250.668885] usb 1-1.1: Product: Audio-gd
[98250.668887] usb 1-1.1: Manufacturer: Audio-gd
[98250.694456] input: Audio-gd Audio-gd as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:12.0/usb1/1-1/1-1.1/1-1.1:1.2/0003:040D:3410.0017/input/input30
[98250.746074] hid-generic 0003:040D:3410.0017: input,hidraw4: USB HID v1.00 Device [Audio-gd Audio-gd] on usb-0000:00:12.0-1.1/input2
[98250.989842] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio

>snd-usb-audio
Can't check it right now, but laptop with arch says it's loaded atm, gonna try loading it manually tomorrow

Sup Forums is fast tonight, neutralityposting is in full gear

blame reddit

a

nice setup

fuck reddit with a wide gaping hole

where did you get this picture of me?

>Pulseaudio

sorry I'm new. How can I connect to the internet on cloveros

Is there a way to make Enlightenment not so glossy? Is there a flat theme for it?

What is the alternative?

ALSA can't into multiple outputs with different streams

the whole point of enlightenment is to go over the top bling bling

what do i need to install gentoo? i dont have good internet access at home. only downloading the image at cafe. should i get 2gb iso image, stage3 tarball, or minimum stuff?

You need a stage3 tarball and an installation media, it doesn't have to be the hybrid iso, you can use an Ubuntu livecd or whatever