50% on discrete math final after getting 90's-100 on all else

>50% on discrete math final after getting 90's-100 on all else
>probably like 65% on calc I after getting 90's-100 on all else

fuck you just let me program you faggot

Other urls found in this thread:

clep.collegeboard.org/science-and-mathematics/calculus
cs.georgetown.edu/academics/bs
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why did you choose comp sci if all you wanted to do is program? comp sci is more than that

>inb4 autistic rants about how """important""" college math is

I make 200k without understanding calc1

Just be code monkey if you don't like math, /sci/ loves laughter computer science students for a good reason.

lel no, you gotta slave grind just like the boomers did

no you don't
kek

try harder next time
you can do it!!

For job purposes. No such thing as software engineering degree in my area and the self-teaching wouldn't cut it for employers.

I like math. I just don't like tests apparently.

>A in discrete math and A in calc 2
feels pretty good man

I think I still might get an A, just failed the finals

How can you get an A if you fail your finals?
Is an A in Merica easy or something?

Completely depends on the uni, the course outline and who's teaching it.

A pajeet that barely understands the subject with a heavy thick accent who has a 40% class pass rate? yeah good luck getting a C.

Most of the times exams are curved so if everyone failed certian questions (that the prof didnt go over enough/at all), they are omitted

Discrete math is one of the most important classes you'll take if you want a future in software development. At least beyond a peon level doing monkey business

>tfw my college is pass/fail
>tfw if i manage to graduate it registers as 4.0 gpa in the system
>tfw dont give a shit

I think its valuable to know, but your average programmer definitely isnt going to be doing intergrals or multivar calc in their daily work routine.

comp sci makes you take it because it assumes youre going to be writing ground breaking algos and shit, when in reality youll probably just be bug fixing some senior devs shit

Wrong.

Your college would also go straight in the trash

I took discrete maths this semester and scored 75% overall in it.
Does anyone have any actual realistic non-meme examples where discrete maths would come in handy in programming? I mostly only do systems programming.

Propositional logic is the obvious answer.
Proofs are needed for proper algorithm analysis, and most higher math.

I only really found propositional logic to be useful in digital logic though, not in programming.

Finals are weird dude, wait til the curve is figured out dude. Considering you did that well on everything else I'm guessing you're sitting pretty for both grade-wise. I double major in math and cosi applying to gradute schools and did similar in those courses. Also in entry level courses they actively try to fuck people over numerically to get them to free up room/funding for the programs.

Tldr you're probably fine, and if not those aren't uncommon classes to retake, and as they say B's get degrees.

Seriously? Is it that fucking hard to do a math problem?

I took my calc I test last week, didn't study whatsoever, got a 102 (100 + 2 bonus points). This shit is a joke.

Don't fucking complain lmao thats like failing HS algebra

wow you guys are retarded.
i passed discrete math when i was like, 15 with a 230(100+130 extra project). didnt even show up to class at all and played cod all day ez xDD

Programming: 80%
Foundations of Comp Sci: 75%
Computational Mathematics: 55
Kill me desu

Maybe you should take slightly less credit for having a good teacher, no?

my discrete maths teacher was probably the best ive ever had

only class i was actually focused, the guy was so passionate about it that i found it interesting

rarely showed up to class.....

In all seriousness, I did prepare very well by spacing my studying and always covering some homework every day, but I did so using literally the most popular calc textbook in america. Calculus, by Larson & Edwards, with answers to all odd questions available on calcchat.com.

Syllabus would say "today's lesson is chapter 3.6" and I would just do 50 problems (there are 100, 50 odd, 50 even...) from section 3.6. Come test time, I do lets say Chapter 3 & 4 comprehensive review, which is about 50 problems, about 5 days in advance, and I aced my tests.

Those are example numbers. Different numbers for my second exam and final. But the point being, op has NO excuse. Nobody has an excuse for failing calc. That textbook is free on libgen, the answers and explanations for each answer are free online, and it's a fucking fantastic textbook, it's not written for Ph.D candidates...if you fail because you didnt open the textbook I have no sympathy. The world depended on textbooks for teaching for hundreds of years, the advent of the internet and "new learning" doesn't mean jack fucking shit in the face of the quality of a good textbook, and a dedicated student.

I got a solid 100% one my discrete math course. Similar to the other undergrad maths:

Diffy Q: 98%
calc 1: 100%
calc 2:96%
calc 3: 100%

Undergrad math was so much fun. Damn I want to finish my degree so bad.

If this is true, you must have taken at a community college, some shitty university, or huge curve in the class. Impressive none the less.

>Diffy Q
please die

I got a 98.1 in discrete, would have had 99 but I missed a day of class where we had quiz worth 1% of grade.

In calc 3 I had a 97.9, my professor curved the first test so much that I got like 112% on it. Which was a godsend when I royally fucked part of the third test.

If you really got 90-100 on everything else then you walked out of those classes with As or Bs.

I know that feel. Just finished my combinatorics final and it was 5 times harder than anything else we had done. Every assignment had a mean of like 95% up until that point so I have no clue how the curve is going to work out for this.

>be me
>100 on every college one
>move United States
>fail school of graduates
>still job at Microsoft©

life good!

>h1b me

u pretty girl?

kindly have response

If anyone schools allows it, i would suggest taking the Calculus CLEP exam. It's 120ish dollars, test is 90 minutes, and transfer to almost every university in the US. Georgetown University (where I graduated) accepted my calculus CLEP but they may have made an exception because I'm military and the college i transfered from put it as an official grade.

Obviously doesn't help if you don't know Calculus, but if you do it saves time and $$$$

clep.collegeboard.org/science-and-mathematics/calculus

I took Cal 2, Linear Algebra, Discrete Math, and a ECON math course because why not? George Town's CS program isn't as intensive as most others. I've seen a lot of places only require Cal 1/Disc math as the only math, which seems fair.

cs.georgetown.edu/academics/bs

Also I wasn't required to take any physics or science courses because the intro CS corses covered my "stem" requirements there lol. Sucks for those who are required to take those classes.

> tfw 91 in stupid Technical writing class
> tfw could have literally wiped my ass with the physics electromagnetism final and passed the class but I feel really confident in it
> tfw only 2 finals are my calc final (which is basically 50% of the grade.. tfw low B so I could either fail or get an A in the class on this final.. but I'm allowed an equation sheet with w/e tf I want on it
> tfw comp sci final is literally "be in standard deviation and pass for the whole class" because the purpose of the class is to weed out the cunts who are shit
> tfw been in the top 75% of class all semester

Feeling bretty good as comp sci major here m8

Being a drug mule or a hooker is good money for people who can't into math. Good on you for not letting life get you down user!

I got a 93% on my discrete math final yesterday, 40 questions, 23 pages.
you shoulda studied OP, instead of relying on slader to answer all the questions for you

>probably like 65% on calc I after getting 90's-100 on all else
you probably were able to look up the answers online to everything else

>during discrete math final on tues
>teacher says "user, you did so well on that last exam, gratz"
>checked online the night before
>77/100
>"n-no?"
>"yeah, well you should've seen the other scores"
Hopefully that mean's I'm getting curved to an A.
Meanwhile I don't think I'm going to pass linear algebra. I just can't conceptualize it to save my life, and it's not for a lack of trying. Fs on the last two exams, dozens of hours wasted "studying." Its a wonder how I still have a 72%. My final is in 12 hours and I'm -this- close from giving up.
Going to try to cram whatever an "eigenvalue" is into my brain before I sleep and hope it sticks in the morning.

>top 75%
I think you mean 25%

I mean technically he only needs to be in the top 84%

I suppose you pulled those study habits out of your ass, huh. But more to my point, the OP said he did great on all assessments until test time. That means the assignments were literally a waste of time and the teacher doesn't know what he's doing. It's great that you're an independent learner, but when I pay someone to teach me something, I expect them not to fuck around. If your head wasn't so far up your own ass, you may have actually realized what I was saying.

Ye I mean top 25% oopsys.

I know you're not replying to me but..
But, I'd imagine that means they're going to curve it.. Whenever I hear something to the effect of (for example my comp sci prof) "Good job the average was a 60%, I was expecting a 50%" is a tell tail sign of "ay I'm curving this shit"

cool blog post

>grades
>mattering

It's extremely prestigious

How do you fuck up a test on common sense?

Fuck off that shit is not common sense.

u 8 the b8 m8

structured common sense then

its good for you sonny

the pigeon hole principle

then everything is common sense

>I failed two final exams after aceing all the homework
you know if you just deserved those 90s-100s on everything else and actually understood the shit instead of copying your answers directly from other students/the internet, this would be a non issue

>do excellent all semester with near perfect scores
>blow off finals and get C's
>still get A's in the courses
I like not having to try so much for the final exams on classes where they aren't such a critical proportion of the grade. Fuck those courses with only a midterm and final for the sole grades.

We didn't even have a discrete math course. Who gives a shit about grades

What's so hard to understand about true and false?

discrete math is the only fun math, literally
i always hated math in high school and barely passed calcs but got 97 in discrete math

It's far more chill than other math classes. Instead of scrambling to get all your equations done in time you're just writing some paragraphs.