Think about it people.

idk what this has to do with tech but i like it
mods don't delet no bully pls

Nothing to really think about.
2 pieces = 10 minutes
1 piece = 5minutes
1 piece+1 piece =10 minutes
1 piece x3=15 minutes

Very smart. But it could be done faster.

Allowing women to be teachers was a mistake.

What the fuck is this question?
Are they just trying to crush original thought?

just as fast means the same cutting rate - units distance per unit time, so if you make a cut twice as long it takes twice the time, half as long half the time, and so on. the point here is that there are many ways to divide a board into two or three pieces, and the ambiguity leaves the problem open for any number of interpretations and constructions

That picture depicts a 2x4 getting sawed. It says "another board," so I'm assuming we're starting with a fresh piece of wood. In which case we have to make 2 cuts. Each cut should take 10 minutes.
>inb4 this teacher's ineptitude is blamed on Common Core/libruls

Teacher must be Amuricunt

One piece of wood cut in half (that leaves two pieces) = 10 minutes per the information given.

If it took some lame ass weakling to cut one piece of wood in half, then one can logically say that to take another piece of wood and make two cuts in it - thereby resulting in 3 discrete pieces left over - it would take 20 minutes with the info provided.

It's a stupid dumbass question to begin with and the original answer the student provided was correct, the teacher - like in most situations with stupid dumbass questions - was at serious fault.

10 minutes to cut through a piece of wood, what the fuck, are they cutting timber logs or something with hand saws?

Did you just assume Marie's gender while calling others sexist you gigabigot?

What's it like being jealous of an entire country 24/7?

You are assuming that Marie isn't already making that cut and that it takes 10 mins.

>if she works
>she
try again shitstain, I always mind my pronouns.

>the question assumes Marie's gender so I can too

shitlord

i want to fug marie

Is it normal to be so triggered by... everything here?

kek
3 pieces in 10 minutes

>Is it normal to be so triggered by... everything here?
No actual conversations happen here. Only smaller boards get those, and not very thoughtful ones either. The combination of hiro and russians killed this place

I think he meant everything here, in this thread.

yes my dude

But you make 2 pieces with 1 cut.

3 pieces requires 2 cuts.

So the kid is correct, but the teacher made a bad question.

She (lets assume the teacher is a woman) assumed it took two actions to make two pieces.

But cutting is one action that makes two pieces.

That diagonal horseshit is true too, but since most people assume a straight cut, you have to go with that.

The US was a mistake.

Is that teacher retarded?

Wait, isn't it going to take a different amount of time because of the difference in cut locations? So, cutting a board once in ten minutes (big ass board desu) vs cutting a board twice (requiring the cuts to be moved).

I guess that works. Only a woman would randomly be sawing away at a piece of wood for that long anyway.

please remember that teachers are people with a low education who don't want to work full days and who want a 3 month summer vacation and their only job is to babysit your brat until he/she goes off to college or starts work

This.
/thread

what if you're cutting a 10 metre long, 50mm thick board lengthways?
there's no reason to assume the "board" is thin and/or narrow

i tried to tell my gf there's an art to handling wood, but they don't listen..

the question says "another" board
it's reasonable to assume both boards are the same shape, and that the resulting pieces are of equal size, as it doesn't mention otherwise

You're assuming the 10 mins is due to the length of the cut, but it could just as easily be due to the thickness of the board. If the board is 3 foot thick your point is moot. Also might explain why the bitch took 10 minutes.

> Allowing women to be math teachers was a mistake
FTFY

I sure hate to spend 5 minutes to get 1 piece of wood on first place.

so it takes 5 minutes to saw a piece of wood into 1 piece?

1 cut = 10 minutes
2 cuts = 20 minutes.

It works like this because the problem clearly stated that bitch marie is supposed to work "just as fast".

really big wood + really dull saw blade

this is what i meant, thanks man

I love this
If the kid has a decent father, he will learn really soon about ineptitude and how some adults are plain wrong

the truth has been spoken

you start with one piece, there are no cuts required to get one piece

>swap board out with glass
>start cutting
>500 pieces in 2 seconds
nothing personnel, marie

this example is correct, thanks user, wouldn't have ever thought about it like this because nobody on earth needs to cut a board like this, but is correct nonetheless
you're an idiot

There is no correct answer because the wording makes it ambiguous, dumbass.

>Both the teacher and the student are right. It depends on how you look at the problem.
>We have the rate: 10 minutes to saw 2 pieces.

>First way to understand the problem (from the student's perspective):
>We have a board. We make one cut and get 2 pieces (the sawed off part and the remaining part). From this point of view, every cut yields 2 pieces.
>So, first cut (takes 10 minutes) and we get 2 pieces.
>The second cut (takes another 10 minutes - same rate) and we get 3 pieces.
>Total time = 10 + 10 = 20 minutes.

>Second way to understand the problem (from the teacher's perspective):
>We have a board. We make one cut and get 1 piece (the sawn off part; the remaining piece of the board is not counted).
>From this point of view, every cut yields only 1 piece.
>So, the rate is 10/2 = 5 minutes/1 piece.
>So, first cut (5 minutes), we get 1st piece.
>Second cut (5 minutes), we get 2nd piece.
>Third cut (5 minutes), we get 3rd piece.
>Total time = 5 + 5 + 5 = 15 minutes.

mymathforum.com/elementary-math/49277-oesimplea-3rd-grade-problema.html

>that spacing
did you guys meet up in thread and all come over together just to post here or something?

POO IN LOO

>Meme arrows
>Roman letters
>Posting images
>Being alive

What the fuck are you reddit?

That's really arbitrary though and nothing like the illustration.

Literally finding a solution that fits the answer. Only works when you know the answer already.

hehehhr wood

>le forced "reddit spacing" meme

fuck off

I believe that "to saw a board into two pieces" unambiguously means to make one piece of board into two pieces with a single cut.
Otherwise you'd say something like "to saw off two pieces of the board".

We're not jealous, we're laughing at how such a shit jewified country has stayed in the dominant position this long (purely thanks to the army of dumb goyim who are willing to die so Israelis can live)
I'd like to ask you, how does it feel living under a government that would put it's entire citizenry through wood chippers if Netanyahu sent a memo this morning?
Fucking slave

The material clearly says that a board is meant to be cut into two pieces, not a "source board" that you're going to cut pieces from. The teacher is an idiot.

Out of those is probably a phone poster and is reddit spacing.
The rest are fine but are still wasting vertical space with no increase in readability.

Yeah, this.

Just like cutting a cake into two pieces would be one cut, but cutting two pieces from a cake would be two cuts.

The problem was the teacher, or whoever write the problem, was retarded or ESL and doesn't fucking understand how we use language to describe actions.

No, you can still cut off a corner from a 10 foot thick board in 30 seconds. Just incline your cutting plane along a second axis.

>the le meme
>still reddit spacing
could you be any more of a massive faggot?

Another board implies you aren't cutting the same board, so if it took you 10 minutes to saw one board in half it would take you 10 minutes to saw a new one. Fucking common core.

Oh, and when you think of two pieces you think of two halves. If this were normal mathematics this would be the case.

>Thread has been moved to

>no increase in readability

>wasting vertical space
Maybe on a phone.

Phones are literally designed for vertical readability

Yeah, but their lack of horizontal width and dpi scaling for the small display means that more lines wrap to a second line, so every added line break is a problem.

This post is a single line on my computer, three lines on my phone.

Now you can use the desktop site on your phone as well, but then you have to hold it about three inches from your eyes in order to be able to read the text, which isn't comfy.

It depends. Someone might rape her before she finishes cutting. Then a question should be:
>Will Marie ever cuts the board?
It's classic Schrödinger's cat situation
You won't know unless you see the rape. And are you doing it?
Mindfuck, I know

Man I would be so mad if this was the answer

Bitching and moaning about double spacing is a way bigger cancer than double spacing could ever possibly be. Now instead of a post being 20-40% shorter, we have extra posts that contribute absolutely nothing to the conversation and contribute towards the bump limit. Congratulations, fuckwads, you are literally worse than R*ddit

It will take 10 minutes because it says bitch will cut it "just as fast".

what the fuck makes you think the teacher is a woman?

Some women are pretty good at teaching math.

Careful. You're gonna anger the salty /r9g/ permavirgins

> doubting this

> t. roastie

Women dont know about sawing and shit

>he thinks women visit Sup Forums
lmaoing at your cuz

handwriting alone is enough to tell.

men teach in higher grades

>I have nothing to say, but I am mad and I want to insult people on the internet, let's use the text formatting as argument

The best professor I ever had in college was my female calc professor
You cant judge everybody just because of these retarded grade school counts with inferior cognition

this. i fucking hate Sup Forums sometimes.

yeah, and handling chch

using English grammar to try and teach math was a mistake

Not really Sup Forums, but
When I was 14, a teacher said in class that wolves are herbivores, because they eat cows, which are herbivores, so they become herbivores themselves. She was very insistent on her opinion even after a couple of students pointed her mistake out. "OK I'll look into it later"
Next day she came in class, "you guys were right". She was stupid, but at least she was not arrogant.

So the question is fucked up, I guess.

Because the teacher's answer contradicts the question.

Or the answer is that the question is wrong. I'd just write that, probs.

Or the answer is wrong. WTF.

The child's answer was correct, though

the question states that they have their own pizzas, but doesn't say that they're the same size pizza
the only way for the question to be true is if the pizzas are different sizes

Are you German? An American teacher would have laughed it off after blushing, then never addressed it again for fear of losing her job, (even if the school doesn't actually care about education quality.)

I think the answer is that it's impossible, because it makes no sense (exactly what the teacher wrote).

When I was in a very early grade, we had a project to do a study on a strange animal. I chose the emu. I made the mistake of asking my mom for help. When it came to noting the type of the animal, my mom for some reason refused to believe that "bird" was a classification as opposed to mammal, reptile, etc. Because the emu lays eggs, it is therefore a reptile. I think that was my first F.

no, the answer is what the kid wrote
look at the question, "how is this possible", it's asking for a undefined variable that makes the statement possible (or that it's impossible if it actually is)
if the pizzas are different sizes, that can make the statement true, and the question doesn't state what the pizza sizes are, making them undefined
hence, different size pizzas is a valid solution, so the statement is not impossible