Intel 2018 CPU Roadmap Leaked, No New Mainstream Processors Until 2019

>It is another "skylake refresh" episode.
game-debate.com/news/24171/intel-2018-cpu-roadmap-leaked-no-new-mainstream-processors-until-2019

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/InstLatX64
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

did you mean sandy bridge refresh?

Meanwhile AMD managed to shave 5 cycles worth of latency from their 512KB L2 in a fucking refresh.

I'm not knowledgable enough to appreciate it, but how the fuck did they cut it down more in a refresh than they did from Bulldozer to Ryzen?

very strong glue it seems

They managed to do only so much in the limited timeframe.
Just look at the L3 in SR versus Bulldozer.

10 more years!

Source?

Oh shit, I thought I could build i5 9th gen 6 cores/12 threads hackintosh PC next year.

You don't know how Intel works, do you?

Are processors done?

Zen is a new architecture. There will be easy optimizations for a while now and instead of AMD spending all their money and focus on getting the product out the door, they can now shift a bit to making the product better, since they're likely to ride this architecture for quite a while. Think about how far Intel was able to take the P6 architecture-- although keep in mind that Zen probably won't have gains that large since AMD has been optimizing all this time, as well.

Being stuck on the same process for four years and iterating on the same architecture that entire time isn't "how Intel works."

>I'm not knowledgable enough to appreciate it, but how the fuck did they cut it down more in a refresh than they did from Bulldozer to Ryzen?

Like everything else, cache design is all about tradeoffs. They just said fuck it, let's burn some area and power budget to get some lower latency and pulled the trigger. Likewise, they could have made it even faster than they did, but decided that would have pushed them even further into diminishing returns territory.

Where was this tested? By who?

Okay, so the caches are fast.

Will pinnacle ridge improve the memory latency?

twitter.com/InstLatX64
Probably.

Dunno, if their caches are fast they can always opt for more cache so there's less hits to the IMC

More cachez == more die area.

Do you mean inter-CCX latency? Because memory latency is largely determined by RAM manufacturers, not the processor.

If you do mean CCX latency, there's a good chance they can improve it since it's determined by IF. IF is new technology for AMD so it's likely they can find ways to improve it.

AMD doesn't pinch pennies for a few mm of silicon.

They are on track for 40% gross margin by the end of 2018.
Of fucking course they do.

I meant memory controller latency, how long does it take to fetch, read and write.

IMC is sitting on pretty high latency (just look at CCX-CCX talk) crossbar.
They need to optimize it first.

Am I the only one who thinks Pinnacle will be a lot more than we expect, and I'm not talking clockspeed

Oh, you're not the only one.
AMD is getting weird.
They are not talking about their products.
Some don't even exist on the roadmaps.

To be fair, the current Zen lineup was designed for commercial customers first and consumers second. When you're moving that much volume, a few percent on yields means a lot to the bottom line. If you start looking at consumer parts, a few percent on yields starts to mean a lot less and it might be better to look at maximizing performance for those sweet, sweet benchmarks. I don't have access to the sales data, so I can't be sure, but it could make sense for AMD to sack some margin.

After Ryzen launched they said every release will be a "tock-tock-tock"

true, but at the time this sku wasn't on the table, so its possibly a tick, granted a tick that -may- get them into 5ghz, but a tick nonetheless.

It was always on the table.

no, the skus went this one, then 7nm, and somewhere down the line, they got this next 12nm one.

Pinnacle Ridge was always on the roadmaps.

Fuck (((intel))) and ApooMD we need to all buy IBM Power CPUs and encourage them to scale up and out into consumer segment to break the duopoly of shit. And for freedom. Funny that IBM of all fucking companies bears that torch these days.

They didn't design, validate and release pinnacle in the span of 11months, user.
Don't be silly, no one is that fast.

Also that pinnacle roadmap came early, like in May or something.
Lisa also said 7nm tapeouts were in Q4 this year, so no release before Q4 18

>I want shitty vendorlocked housefires because muhfreedubmz
Eat shit stalldrone.

bump

Sounds pretty intel to me bro
Although it's missing the 'also bribe OEMs to not buy competing superior products'

>Although it's missing the 'also bribe OEMs to not buy competing superior products'
Ye, they failed to do this.

Not sure how sarcastic you're being but intel lost a multi billion dollar lawsuit because they did this.
Which they have yet to pay.

No, not bribes back then.
Bribes *right now*.
You can actually find AMD products in OEM offerings.