Linux mint

Well what people of Sup Forums think about this distro?

Other urls found in this thread:

cinnamon.linuxmint.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Sup Forums will tell you its for noobs but really it doesnt matter. Just use whatever works for you so you can get actual shit done instead of ricing i3 and writing fizzbuzz in 50 languages.

daily dose

Linux is shit, only useful for watching YouTube and shitposting

It's okay, but there's really no reason to use it over something like Ubuntu.

Outdated and fake.
Linux mint allways pushes security updates also updated policy has changed already.

Linux mint replaced MDM with lightDM long time ago.

X-apps never had names making conflict with existing packages (also fork their fork of "Pluma" was never "Xedit" but is "Xed")

Linux mint dont have any copyrighted media on ISO, it can be downloaded during instalation but it is not inside ISO.

It's not fake, you fucking moron. Are you that abysmally in denial?

>Mint didnt fell for "Propertiary is evil" meme.
>Mint is very stable, only debian is 100% more stable.
> Mint has acces to ubuntu AND debian repos, also it contains flatpack.
> Beats even UBUNTU in out of the box by providing even more preinstalled software.
> Mint dev team listens to community.

Proof?

Literally I'm using it for the DE.
Functional.
Beautiful.
Like if winXP DE evolved instead of transforming into shit in win7.
Mint is read to go with zero bullshit or configurations.

You're a fucking retard homie.

You know debian comes with cinnamon rite?

>implying it's not what people do 99% of the time with a computer.

mint is literally either shittier version of ubanto or shittier version or debian depending on the version.
But it's a problem inherent to all "trickle down" distributions that do not do anything original other than ZOMG wallpaper in and a matching theme.

No idea why would anyone use it.

Despite its undeniable flaws, especially about security, it's absolutely the single best distro for a Linux noob. I recently switched to Arch after 3 years of Mint and I don't regret having started with it.

Valid points

I give it a try.
I'm a n00b from WinXp/7 to mint and like it.
I recommend every windows user switch to mint.

>uses apt
no, thank you
also you mixed Cinnamon with Pantheon OP

>tfw too retarded to install mint

I think my EFI partition is fucked up somehow and I don't know how to unfuck it. Hopefully my uncle can help me when I visit for christmas, I know he's been running it for a while.

Uhm

Linux is a fierfox/chrome hosting platform.
100% compatibility.

Mint once was caught pocketing GNOME donations money and had to give it back. (they offered a way to donate to GNOME through their website).

It's true though.

UEFI is the invention of MS to make installing linux harder.
Watch youtube videos how to get into
>Legacy BIOs mode
on the motherboard.

wtf I love Mint now

Pretty gud. Just werks and comes with everything you might need out of the box. It looks like windows and comes with nice and simple graphical tools for updates, backups and such so normies and old people should feel right at home.
I usually recommend it or xubuntu to people who want to give linux a shot.

A lot of people on Sup Forums hate it since anything that isn't arch or minimal debian netinstall is bloat and everyone has to know how much of a elite hackers they are for using nothing but tiling wms on their anime boxes.

So what's preferred ultra noob distro then, besides Ubuntu?
I've already graduated to the BSD's, so I don't fuck around with many linux distros anymore, but would like to know one I can recommend to utter noobs that get put off by little things like text-based installers. If they community was bigger I'd just recommend ghostBSD directly, but it's not quite there yet.

If I enable legacy BIOS mode, where does GRUB get installed?

Don't fuck around with this.
Buy a clean HDD (or use one that you no longer need) to install mint only in legacy BIOS mode.

MS is actively pushing technologies now that will result in PC only accepting MS windows.

Double Mint Distro

yeah but its an old version, i think 3.4, which in my experience bugs out all the time. if you're using cinnamon full time you need 3.6 which afaik is only available on arch-based distros and mint 18.3 unless you compile it yourself from git

>UEFI is the invention of MS to make installing linux harder.
Implying creating some text files is hard.

bloated systemd garbage but i would recommend it to a newbie over ubuntu desu because it just werks better out of the box. also ubuntu doesnt even have a cinnamon flavour

Never been a fan of cinnamon. I used i3 on mint for a long time though.

Is it safe now to download an iso from there site?

the community is totally worthless and apt is shit.

I had to disable secure boot on my computer in order for uefi boot to work. Its basically a system Microsoft uses to make the uefi reject anything other than windows. You might have to go into your firmware settings and flip that switch off.

yeah

use torrents and check hashes if ur paranoid i dont think the torrent links were ever compromised

Ironically, this was true for me when this comic came out, but it's becoming less true for me every day.

>posting outdated garbage

Have they changed the UEFI install process?

i put it on my mom's laptop and she loves it.

It's comfy

It's actually ok.

Why are the icons so far apart?

it's shit, it will only work until it recieves a major update. Then something big will break and you will be forced to re-install.

This is a common issue with non-rolling release distros tho.

Same can be said for Solus.

that too
cinnamon is a meme de, all the lag and wonky design decisions of gnome3 with the same windows desktop metaphor

Why would you use a shitty cobbled together version of Debian?

fpbp

underrated post

Name : cinnamon
Version : 3.6.6-1
Description : Linux Desktop featuring a traditional layout built using modern technologies.
Architecture : x86_64
URL : cinnamon.linuxmint.com/
Licenses : GPL2
Groups : cinnamon
Provides : None
Depends On : accountsservice cjs libkeybinder3 python2-lxml caribou clutter-gtk muffin python2-pam
cinnamon-control-center gnome-backgrounds nemo python2-pexpect gnome-themes-standard networkmanager
python2-pillow cinnamon-screensaver gconf network-manager-applet python2-ptyprocess cinnamon-session
polkit-gnome python2-pyinotify cinnamon-settings-daemon libgnomekbd python2-cairo webkit2gtk
cinnamon-translations libgnome-keyring python-dbus python2-dbus xapps wget iso-flag-png
systemd-manager
Optional Deps : None
Required By : None
Optional For : adapta-gtk-theme-git
Conflicts With : mint-cinnamon-themes
Replaces : None
Installed Size : 10.66 MiB
Packager : Antergos Build Server
Build Date : Thu 23 Nov 2017 11:50:36 AM CET
Install Date : Fri 24 Nov 2017 01:45:18 PM CET
Install Reason : Explicitly installed
Install Script : No
Validated By : Signature

comfy as fuck

I started using it 2 days ago, since I'm a brainlet and never touched Linux before. That being said, is there a recommended website for Linux mint besides googling any issues I come across? Like a basic manual.

The Arch wiki works for almost all distros... You should go there first. Package names mentioned in the wiki differ ofc

It's based on Ubuntu, so you can look up the manuals for Ubuntu and it would apply to Mint.

What did he mean by that?