HTMLNeutrality

(1/3)
Net Neutrality is a big concern that a lot of anons have been talking about lately, and we've seen arguments from both sides of the issue.
One of these arguments is that losing Net Neutrality will cause websites to get throttled unless you pay extra to an ISP,
and even then, some sites may still get throttled.

This is a very good point, but allow me to bring up a separate issue that some autistic anons and people in tech
have brought up in the past that might actually have a relation to this Net Neutrality concern.
That issue is of website bloat. I've seen anons bring this issue up on a few occasions, complaining about the
inherent bloat created by Javascript and other related interpreted languages, libraries, and frameworks
being used on the web. These bloated technologies can also very easily be used to spy on us, which is part of
the reason for certain popular web browser extensions such as NoScript and uMatrix.

The thing is, it's not just people on imageboards complaining about this. Many people in tech have brought up
this issue as well. Our lord and savior, Richard Stallman, includes a reference to an article on this topic
in his "How I do my computing" article, saying that he agrees with it and that it inspired the layout of his site.
stallman.org/stallman-computing.html
The article is one by Olia Lialina, author as well as Co-founder of the Geocities Research Institute.
contemporary-home-computing.org/RUE/
In this article, Olia makes a case against Web 2.0. Although it does not directly relate to bloat, it does
bring up the idea that users are not creating their own experiences on the internet, but are merely following
the shaped experience predefined by the author, hiding programmability and customizability of a system.
She also brings up that old Web 1.0 maymays such as peeman.gif, despite their crudeness, offer more expressiveness

Other urls found in this thread:

idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=tefielQeHZY
youtube.com/watch?v=Ihli_guFhkU
govtrack.us/congress/bills/109/hr5273
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

(2/3)
than what is provided by modern sites. "because it is an expression of a dislike, when today there is only an opportunity to like"
It is my opinion that these shaped experiences also contribute to bloat.

Another person who has shared this sort of view is Maciej Ceglowski, who has released a talk/article
entited "The Website Obesity Crisis".
idlewords.com/talks/website_obesity.htm
In it, he explains that websites have become needlessly bloated, with one of his opening points being that a single tweet nowadays
is larger than a full-length Russian novel, and that even sites from Facebook and Jewgle that should be about reducing this bloat
are extremely and unneccessarily so. He also brings up the point of "Chickenshit Minimalism", or minimal sites that are still
overwhelmingly bloated due to Javascript shit.

This idea has been shared on Jewtube as well, with Bryan Lunduke creating "The World Wide Web Sucks", which has similar views as
the Ceglowski article.
youtube.com/watch?v=tefielQeHZY
He discusses the immense bloat of a browser attempting to load a common website such as CNN.com, in comparison to great software
achievements such as the system used the Apollo 11 Computer, or the original DOOM. He ends this talk by suggesting that the web should
return to HTML. Even Terry A. Davis brings up bloat, although referring to software rather than websites.
youtube.com/watch?v=Ihli_guFhkU

(3/3)
So what does this all mean to Net Neutrality? Well if sites will be throttled, these bloated designs will have a hard time loading
on a slow connection. Hell, some people already have trouble loading them even with Net Neutrality!
But the idea of reducing the bloat and returning to an older web can have an impact here. If websites are throttled, owners will
still want people to come visit their sites. So a possible solution for them is to get rid of the needless Javascript, simplify
things, and thus have a site that will load very efficiently under the Net Neutrality-less internet.

I say that we use Net Neutrality as a means of killing off the bloat of the World Wide Web.
What are your thoughts?

I like this idea. JS needs to fuck off and die

Seconded

Are you an idiot? You're basically saying that websites will be dumbed down because people have slow internet connections. Which means that websites like Youtube or Netflix will stop offering HD video streaming and resort back to 360p and 480p, because after all, people's internet can't even load some shitty javascript anymore, so it sure as hell can't load HD videos either, right?

The first intelligent NN post

If it's not absolutely 100% totally essential to a site's overall function, then yes!

Last time I posted this, someone said that it won't change anything because webdevs are gonna be lazy no matter what, but I personally think there's a difference between "oh yeah I guess I could stop making everything bloated, but that's too hard!" and "HOLY SHIT I HAVE TO DO THIS OTHERWISE THE SITE DIES AND I LOSE MY FUCKING JOB"

That sounds wonderful.

Thanks, user

I prefer my content in 4k uhd, this is not 2003 after all

>I need to watch my Lets Plays in 4K!
>It's the current year!

4K anime tiddies sure are wonderful.

Thats not how it works retard. You can't advance technology and go back 20 years

I bet you're the kind of person who makes fun of Android users for having cheap phones, but then turns around and says we should watch everything in 360p because you don't really need Full HD or 4k

idk, man. i'm not american so i guess my opinion shouldn't be taken into account but removing nn is a bit too high of a price to pay for removal of bloat. my opinion is that bloat is caused by web devs basically shitting out these websites as fast as possible because muh time is money. if i'm right then getting rid of nn wouldn't change a thing. then again, i'm not as educated and experienced than anyone here.

>you were born just in time for the great usenet revival

Feels good.

>web devs basically shitting out these websites
See for my opinion on that

>Which means that websites like Youtube or Netflix will stop offering HD video streaming and resort back to 360p and 480p
> JS is needed to serve videos over 480 pixels in height

Kek, having less resources is better since it teaches you to be more resourceful.

Since that's what america was built on, and not a massive glut of resources.

Making America Great Again?

Have you heard of Amish communities? I think you would like it there

>restrict your resources so you do more with the little you have
No. If you want to be poor, go be poor by yourself, don't bring me together.

>Since that's what america was built on, and not a massive glut of resource
what a fall from grace you've had

>don't bring me together
wew

that's true but it would increase the cost of the websites significantly which isn't a big problem for large companies but it would affect smaller businesses. at the end of the day all we can do is speculate but i don't really like where this is going.

Protip: America had a massive glut of resources. First agricultural, then petrochemical.

Good luck being able to read any of the heavily pixelated text in any tech-related video tutorials.

What are the ISPs trying to do that is SO important that they need to repeal Net Neutrality?
You're telling me this is all about getting a few extra bucks from Netflix? Bullshit. They probably spent more money bribing the FCC than they will ever earn back.
What are the ISPs really trying to do?

What do you define as a site's function, though? A lot of JS that you'd probably consider as bloat is part of making the website look good and that can also be considered a function.

>making the website look good
websites are supposed to function, not look pretty.

My website is my company's face, and as everything else, I want it to be pretty as it can possibly be.

if you want to know what Sup Forums would look like without javascript, go check out krautchan.net and tell me whether that's a website you want to use regularly

90% of active internet users don't know what a net neutrality is.

As long as ISPs provide access to nornie websites people will still think it works as usual.

Controlling the web in a level deeper than
>"ima block ur website if u keep posting things I don't like :("
more like
>"Post an article showing Trump petting kittens or I'll charge everyone $20 more to access your website and it'll just die off"
or
>"do what I say and I won't charge access to your website"

90% of users who think they know net neutrality didn't even read any bills or proposals, they merely accepted the premise of it as being everything that's on the bill and exactly how it works
hell, if you ask the reddit crowd what's a Zero Rating they won't know what the fuck you're talking about

i don't know what zero rating is either, but i know that Verizon is run by Jews.
Don't repeal Net Neutrality unless you want the Jews to control the internet

it looks fine you fucking numale

This
It looks no worse than other Taiwanese fingerpainting forums

If you don't know that much, you should probably be getting educated first, then decide your position. Do you even know what is actually being repealed? (hint, it's not just net neutrality)

Kind of unrelated, but this is a big problem of these discussions on the internet. People watch a 30s video about something and think they know literally everything that there is to know about a certain topic while also forgetting that whoever made that video probably did it not just to inform, but also to make you support his position.

But Obama put NN into place, and Drumpf and Designated Man are trying to repeal it, so that means NN must be a good thing! Even Netflix said so!

Bush was the one that started it, idiot.
govtrack.us/congress/bills/109/hr5273

I think I never loved another human being as I love Terry.

Bush is an old man who was busy torturing criminals. I'm sure he never used the internet in his life. You can neither blame nor congratulate him for Net Neutrality, because he probably didnt have anything to do with it