Why the fuck is latex so shitty to use?

Why the fuck is latex so shitty to use?
Even when using overleaf it's ridiculous

t. brainlet

>t. brainlet
ok so what if I am a brainlet

tell me what document typesetting software brainlets like me should be using

What's shitty about it? I use it all the time for my math assignments. Takes less than an hour to learn 90% of what you need and the rest can usually be found from a quick Google search.

Latex is great, much better than that shit that comes with Word.

What makes you think that?

>what document typesetting software brainlets like me should be using
Word

I thought LaTeX was bullshit until I started writing my assignments in it. Made everything a lot more professional and made it easier to write my technical reports.

>tfw did my circuits homework in LaTeX back in uni
>even drew the circuits themselves manually with tikz commands

Step 1. Don't be a brainlet
Step 2. Use LaTeX

It just takes some time to get used to. Do yourself a favour and set up a live environment with auto-compilation in your favourite text editor if you haven't already.

>Takes less than an hour to learn 90% of what you need and the rest can usually be found from a quick Google search.
how do I learn??

Wikibooks for the basics. Just start writing all of your documents in LaTeX and most things will come naturally.

Look up a tutorial or YouTube video man. Or find a few example files that look like what you want yours to and find out what each part is doing. Unless you're writing something really complex you can just use a lot of it as boilerplate code and focus on getting the equations, figures, and paragraph layout right. Once you have that down you can learn about all the other details as you need them.

Also it might be easier to just download an editor and package manager to start with. Overleafs multifile layout confused me at first.

I forced myself to start writing college papers with it and it stuck. It will suck at first and you'll be looking up how to do everything, but you'll get the hang of it.

It does suck at first, but once you get used to it you won't go back. Unlike Word or equivalent, I can focus on content and structure and not worry about apparence.

If you're retarded use LyX

but it will lead to shitty habits. best to suffer through TeX until you're fluent.

Latex is great desu.
You can git latex files, edit them with Vim, and have amazing already-made layouts.
That's all you need :)

Latex is great to use compared to any alternative and it works great across a vast swath of domains where typesetting matters. Latex is probably the only piece of software that will make it to the 100 consecutive years of being the best in its domain.

Indeed editing in overleaf and sharelatex is ok when you have to collaborate but I really like the snappiness of running latex locally with emacs. Especially because emacs has some pretty useful shortcuts to keep in muscle memory.

kys you retarded corporate monkey

>Why the fuck is latex so shitty to use?
>TeX was the designed in the 70s, a time where computing and pretty much everything else went to shit
>it's a turing complete language
>it's really print-only, all converters are retarded no exception

Is there any reason to learn latex for undergraduate college essays?

I write draft with LyX and then switch to latex to finalize the paper. I'm much faster writing math with LyX

What are the benefits of using LaTex over LibreOffice writer?

You're much more likely to reach wizard status if you use LaTeX.

I'm still impressed that software written more than 40 years ago is still relevant. I heard that Knuth also used fixed point numbers everywhere because he made it before floating point formats were really standardized and he wanted the documents to look the same on every computer. I've used plain TeX before and it can get pretty unreadable but I find it more fun to use than normal LaTeX for my personal projects. Normal LaTeX is usually centered around designing templates and filling in the text.

Wait a second, you can do that? What the fuck how

It's shitty for short documents because the amount of time invested in making a 20 page long document in LaTeX does not reflect the result.
When your document becomes larger than that it's a fucking godsend.

Pick the correct tool for the job.

Oh and for short documents you can always use markdown and render it in a LaTeX-y way using beamer with all the fancy math formulas.

I will derail this as well
Be careful

I just use org-mode.

wow I thouhgt I was the only autist doing that. I hated and loved it, all that wastsd time

synctex
Tons of PDF readers support it, too. Look it up.

Which Latex do I use? Texstudio good?

It would work on any text editor available