twitter.com/AnonBabble

forgot link:
pcpartpicker.com/list/3TKqKZ

hmmm... those don't look like 5k monitors

It's 8k.
Because 4k + 4k = 8k

fixed typos (pic related)

two 4K displays have more pixels than a single 5K one

I'd actually like to see the performance difference between Resolve 14 on each of these, then FCPX vs Premiere on the PC.

Also those monitors are shit compared to the iMac's.

Your machine is ahead in processing power and GPU.

You skimped out on the RAM and SSD though. You're using 2133 Mhz instead of 2666 and you're using 540 MB/s SSD instead of the 3 GB/s SSD inside the iMac.

Also the screen

>you're using 540 MB/s SSD instead of the 3 GB/s SSD inside the iMac
There's a Samsung 960 in the build, it also reaches 3GB/s, the only reason I didn't include another one is because this mobo doesn't have another m2 slot.

I believe I compensated that with another 2TB SSD + 30GB of internal storage though, which one would you personally choose?

>the only reason I didn't include another one is because this mobo doesn't have another m2 slot.

In other words.. because you're skimping on price?

>which one would you personally choose?

I would choose the 4 TB of high quality SSD. I will never use more than 4 TB, and I would rather have less memory but higher quality.

>In other words.. because you're skimping on price?
nope, it's because I didn't search enough to find a mobo with dual m2 slots, I'm pretty sure there must be a few out there.

> I would choose the 4 TB of high quality SSD
So you're telling me the 960 + 850 SSDs are not "high quality"? wew lad.

> hmmm... those don't look like 5k monitors
No one is selling brand new 5K displays anymore unfortunately. You could get a refurbished one and this build would become even cheaper though...

two 4K displays are superior on every way in my opinion though...

>So you're telling me the 960 + 850 SSDs are not "high quality"? wew lad.

Not when M.2 gets speeds literally in the 3GB/s range. Which is pretty important when editing 8k RAW RED footage.

>No one is selling brand new 5K displays anymore unfortunately.

Apple does in their store. 5k displays require a TB3 connection.

>two 4K displays are superior on every way in my opinion though...
Except you're only looking at resolution, not everything else. Find something at least DCI-4k, not UHD, and true 10-Bit, with at least 97% of the DCI-P3 color space reproduction. And that last bit is a handicap as the iMac's display covers 99% of the space.

Stop treating it like a gaming machine.

>nope, it's because I didn't search enough to find a mobo with dual m2 slots,

So in your attempt to make a PC build that was comparable to an iMac Pro, you picked an inferior Motherboard and SSD?

>So you're telling me the 960 + 850 SSDs are not "high quality"? wew lad.

They are high quality. But one superfast 3 GB/S SSD is better than a fast SSD and an average SSD.

>No one is selling brand new 5K displays anymore unfortunately.

The LG ultrafine is being sold for 1.3k.

>Apple does in their store. 5k displays require a TB3 connection.

Best Buy is also selling the LG ultrafine

Dell sells 5 and 8K displays. Connected via two times DP

>Not when M.2 gets speeds literally in the 3GB/s range
This machine does get 3GB/s on the 960 though... with the extra 32TB of storage you could use the 960 for anything you'd need (8K RAW RED footage)

I actually spent more than I would with 2x 960s, I will look for a mobo with two m2 slots and update the build later.

> 5k displays require a TB3 connection.
or dual DP cable

> Except you're only looking at resolution, not everything else. Find something at least DCI-4k, not UHD, and true 10-Bit, with at least 97% of the DCI-P3 color space reproduction. And that last bit is a handicap as the iMac's display covers 99% of the space.
I will update the build with that 10-bit 5K Dell panel that supports P3 colors, and it's around $1000 anyways.

if you thought 4 TB of high quality SSD was unnecessary you could have just went with 2 TB in both the iMac Pro AND the comparison machine.

I consider myself corrected.

>Dell 5k

I'm sure that's an LG panel on the inside though. Who else makes 5k panels other than LG? I don't think Samsung does, and certainly not NEC or Eizo.

>or dual DP cable

Yeah didn't realize this.

>I will update the build with that 10-bit 5K Dell panel that supports P3 colors, and it's around $1000 anyways.

Cool. I mean, it only fair when looking at the target market for these workstations.

NEC and eizo don't make panels at all. Maybe AU optronics has one

What's a Mac?

There's no way ecc ram and xenons are windows compatible

>Xeons
>ECC RAM
>Not Windows compatible

The fuck are you on m8

>currently typing this on a MacBook

>I'm sure that's an LG panel on the inside though.
It is. The same as in the iMac actually

Yeah I think LG is the only company making 5k panels.

updated the build, now it has 3 fast af SSDs (1x 2TB 960 + two Intel 750 PCIe), with a total of 4.4TB of fast storage + 10TB of 7200rpm HDD.

I just added another 4K 27 inch display while I look for a decent 5K panel, so I still have a $1500 budget for any panel.

pcpartpicker.com/list/4CspZ8

You forgot shipping for the parts

HP Z27q, Philips P-line 275P4VYKEB, LG UltraFine 5K 27MD5KA-B, Dell UP2715K. All four use the same LG panel (as does the iMac). There aren't any other around.

Or go for the Dell Ultrasharp UP3218K 8K screen for 3.5k bucks.

The point of 5k is to be able to edit and work on a 4k file without changing it from it's native resolution.

>not even adobe rgb coverage
Dropped

So the W series Xeons don't support SGX, does this mean they can't playback DRM protected 4k content?

And with two 4k displays you can have one display being a full time output display while you use the other to have all your controls in.

Yea that's TOTALLY the same workflow

Fuck off moron

>And that last bit is a handicap as the iMac's display covers 99% of the space.
And the fact it isn't true 10-bit.

It's even better workflow.

the iMac is 8 bit + FRC anyway, it's not true 10 bit.

Literally kill yourself, you can't speak for someone else.

If people wanted 4k displays they'd buy them since they're far cheaper. Professionals working on 5k regularly would MUCH rather have a single screen where they can edit a native res 4k file without having to switch screens or fuck with controls somewhere out of frame. Having a SINGLE frame which has the content you're editing AND all of your controls is the BEST workflow for editing, period.

I can speak for most people.

There is a reason why most video and photo editing programs have dual monitor modes or detachable preview windows.
It's so you can put the preview output on a second monitor to get the best possible view while having access to a shitton of controls on the other monitor.

Sure you can have the full 4k displaying while editing on a 5k monitor, but you have fuck all space left for controls for your editing. You're lucky if you can fit two timelines under that shit.

Clearly you don't work with video or photo editing at all so you don't actually know what you're talking about.

How many PCI-E slots are left? If none, free some up. People will need the expandability

>10TB of 7200rpm HDD

Anyone using this will have a proper storage system. The spinning rust is useless here. Save on the build and take that out.

>so I still have a $1500 budget for any panel

LG 31MU97-B
Fund it

Do you work with CMYK Printers? If so yeah swap it out.

You're actually an idiot. Most graphics cards can't output a true 10-bit signal unless in full-scree app mode. So generally most workflows will have one monitor like the 5k, then another in fullscreen for critical work.

From Articles I have read, the Imac is optimized to be faster than any hackintosh.

Not just the software or bios but the actual hardware is all calibrated and designed to be the best performance.

This is why ram is so expensive right now.

>Professionals working on 5k regularly would MUCH
Except no one does.
Dual screen in native resolution (4k here) is the current most used setup.

No shit, it's literally 1/3 of the price. Of course that's the MOST used setup, money is king.

However given the option between 4k and 5k most people would pick 5k.

>hardware is all calibrated
Top kek m8

>implying Sup Forums can afford more than 1k

And given the option of 4k, 5k and 8k, most people would pick 8k.

What's your point? If I could have two 5k monitors on a computer that actually worked then I would.

>However given the option between 4k and 5k most people would pick 5k.
People would pick 8k.
5k is a gimmick

>If I could have two 5k monitors on a computer that actually worked then I would

Get a 5k iMac and then the LG ultrafine 5k or the dell 5k.

>on a computer that actually worked

I'd rather much have 2 accurate DCI-4k monitors than just one 5k.

But one accurate DCI-4k monitor is roughly the same price as one 5k anyway.

>I'd rather much have 2 accurate DCI-4k monitors than just one 5k.
Why wouldn't you rather have 2 accurate DCI-5k monitors?

You realize we're talking about $13k+ here right?

Any professional dropping that cash can get approval for the extra $1k for another 5k monitor.

Because there's no such thing as DCI-5k? Do you even know what you're talking about?

One 5k for the GUI then one DCI-4K for coloring.

>wich
>maxex

Go to sleep Panjeet, you had too much curry.

Depending on context sure. For video editing and coloring, no. You want something that's the same resolution as whatever the final resolution for the DCP will be. In most cases this is DCI-4K.

And you'd be using and Eizo or NEC monitor costing closer to $4k, or better yet a projector in a theater costing megabucks.

Resolution isn't everything.

>DCI-4K for coloring
DCI-4k is a resolution

4096x2160

When you mention color you're thinking of the DCI-P3 color space. Which the LG ultrafine 5k supports 99% of DCI-P3.

What's even the point of discussing this shit when none of you faggots are going to buy a 13000 thousand dollar computer?

No. Read You coloring monitor should be the same resolution that you're delivering on, generally.

For what purpose? If it's been calibrated that makes no sense whatsoever.

You could edit it on a 32k res screen as long as you've been properly calibrated it will look identical when exported to 4k.

>13000 thousand dollar
>thirteen thousand thousand

Why am I paying for 5k when I'm going to be coloring in DCI-4k? Go look at Eizo's professional monitors, none of them are 5k for a reason.

eizo.com/products/coloredge/cg318-4k/

One 5k as the main, one good 4k for critical work. Why is this so hard to understand? I don't want two 5k panels.

>coloring in DCI-4k?
What the fuck does this mean...?

If you have a 5k monitor and a 4k monitor setup next to each other, both cover 99% of DCI-P3. Do you HONESTLY think you'll get different results from each monitor...?

Are you ACTUALLY retarded?

I'll do you one better.
Well, I would, but for some reason every site other than Google and Youtube are loading very slowly right now.

Because scaling fucks up the image if the the native resolution isn't 2nx of your output format

Kill yourself

I literally work in professional VFX studios. We have private theaters using Christie projectors for this shit.

When you're doing the DI process on a film, you add the fucking color to the footage on a monitor that best represents the final product. Hence why all processional monitors for video colorists are not using fucking 5k panels from LG.

Are you ACTUALLY this ignorant?

No one is saying you need to edit AT 5k.

Have you ever even USED a 5k iMac?

Adobe is preset up to present the 4k in native res and have controls in the other unused space.

Alright faggots, I made the final build:
> 44-core / 88-thread
> 256GB of ECC RAM
> 4.4TB of fast PCIe + M2 internal SSD
> Quadro P5000 16GB
> 5K Dell Display (10-bit, P3)

pcpartpicker.com/list/GKXfYr

Is this it? I'm about to update the image.

two epyc 7401p would be cheaper and in the same performance bracket

Epyc is very hard to get right now.

it isn't, just not listed on pcpartpicker. Boards and CPUs are in stock, at least here in germany

The top end iMac pro doesn't ship for 6-8 weeks anyway

nevermind, i'm retarded. The 7401 is multi processor capable, the 401p not. The price difference is negligible then. Still more performance/IO though.

Alternatively, you can run 1 CPU and go Crossfire with 2 workstation GPUs. For whatever reason. This one's fully loaded (Includes the camera we keep forgetting about in these builds, plus the 10gbps/wireless, and a nicer home theater audio system) , 5k included, and a bit less than going 2 Xeon/1 Radeon.

pic related is the final workstation

pcpartpicker.com/list/YyFPtJ

I'd rather go Quadro + Dual Xeons.

> more than double the CPU cores
> double the RAM
> better GPU

iTodlers will be like:
> b-but muh 533MHz slower RAM

If I'm doing content creation, I'm going dual, or triple Titan Xp's in a Supermicro workstation. This here supermicro.com/products/system/4U/7049/SYS-7049GP-TRT.cfm

Also, I can upgrade to Volta when it comes out. Saving myself an entire purchase of a new Apple MacPro.

The only reason to buy Apple is if you insist on using MacOS, no other reason. MacOS has so many drawbacks I don't know why people use it.

What content creation are you doing that make GPU necessary?

MACTODDLERS

BLOWN

THE

FUCK

OUT

pcpartpicker.com/list/GhYXCy

The kind that requires realtime color grading to push a narrative.

3d rendering, video compression and 2d digital art all are GPU accelerated.

Hell even ANSYS can be gpu accelerated if i'm not wrong. At this point today GPU is like a better computer insiode your shitty computer.

You probably could get better results on a fucking Pentium with fuckload of RAM and 3 titans than two xeons and one gpu

>old Xeon architecture
> >>>Asusfull blown consumer grade drives, not even talking about SAS vs SATA
>Non redundant PSU
>Not Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
>consumer grade LAN/WiFi adapters
>Wise choice of redux fans instead of industrialPPC
>mediocre monitors
Not sure if you are trying to build a workstation or trash

>>full blown consumer grade drives, not even talking about SAS vs SATA
>>Non redundant PSU
what do you think the iMac has?

If you think it has redundant PSUs and SAS you're having a laugh.

In fact i'm starting to question who the fuck needs a CPU at this point, really.
Anything that is computationally heavy does get ported to CUDA/OpenCL and gpu memory gets ridiculous like 16GB.

I hope they soon make a fucking OpenCL based operating system and just call a GPU a PC. It could well emulate x86 too.

GPU's are the future, I think Nvidia will produce a computer without a dedicated CPU within the next ten years.

You sound like you have no idea what you're talking about, so shut the fuck up.

all of the things, benefit from CPU power because it's more precise, 3d rendering is funniest one, you'd think that it's GPUs that do the work, but there is no good GPU based renderer and nVidia just retired mantel ray.

Rendering is better farmed out to a third party service.

I am a thread-let, the thread.

>Windows 10 pro
>Dual Cpu-s

>17 year old wannabe vatnik

>branches once
>stalls
LONG LIVE THE GPU

>16GB
>gets ridiculous
?

Maybe vertical or horizontal, but if you wanted true 8k you would need 4 4k monitors

If you would get rid of the 3 10TB HDD's you could get true 8k, plus probably another 2-3 3TB refurbished HDD's

the mac has a Facetime camera so it wins

>Remove the 30tb
>Get 8k
>Remove Windows 10
>Get hackintosh or get Win10 from a keystore
>Get a Rosewill TOKOMAK 1200
>Save 343.86

You could then get 5 refurbished 3tb HDD's and still have around $40 left over