Should I contribute to GNOME or KDE project?

Should I contribute to GNOME or KDE project?

Which is the better project?
Which needs the most support?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ON0A1dsQOV0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

systemd needs support
It lacks some advanced functionalities and a good desktop environment

Neither since you obviously don't care for either.

>gnome
>implying redhat will implement your contributions
>not kde

I need the most support

botnet

Both projects are doing pretty well.

KDE, because GTK is shit.

Why?

KDE since you have an actual chance of having your commits accepted.

Make thumbnail preview in GTK filepicker. Then you'll be remembered forever on Sup Forums. Maybe someone will make even memes about you.

Because GTK is programmed by designers, so it looks pretty but the code is complete shit.
Qt is programmed by programmers so the code is solid, but it doesn't look as pretty.

But seeing that Qt looks native on Mac and Windows anyway, it's the better of the 2.

Qt is bloat, though. So it's made by shit programmer?

>bloat
A GUI will always be bloat who the fuck cares?

I'm not a programmer so I wouldn't know. I just tend to use GTK based apps since they seem to be more lightweight, and like you said, they also look better.

How is the GTK code complete shit compared with QT?

I do. Qt is more bloated than GTK. If GTK developers are designers, then how this have happened?

Because not all bloat is equal in its severity.

Also, FYI
QT - C++
GTK - C

>How is the GTK code complete shit compared with QT?
>Qt (/kjuːt/ "cute"[7][8][9]) is a cross-platform application framework that is used for developing application software that can be run on various software and hardware platforms with little or no change in the underlying codebase, while still being a native application with native capabilities and speed.
Qt it just a lot better.

Watch this if you're interested, if I remember correctly Linus himself was part of this project.
youtube.com/watch?v=ON0A1dsQOV0

gnome is literally a nigger foot. Is that something you support?

Then why he doesn't use LDE amd ises GNOME? ;^)
Protip, because KDE is corporate shit

*KDE
*and
*uses

Qt has a C binding.

Which is better from a user perspective?

KDE 5 with the default Breeze dark theme is great.

Doesn't Qt cost like 300 bucks a month

Qt offers more features.
The biggest disadvantage Qt have is it offers their own types for everything.
It often mean you store things multiple times.
They also use OOP which means you enherit a class which have more stuff than you need which can bloat things.
It uses an internal message system so your functions can be disconnected from the GUI and vice versa.

Qt is good if you write c++ or python but gtk is good for everything else.
You should try to write a simple application in both and make up your own mind.

Not if you make free software.

KDE comes with so much useless shit though. Plus everything seems needlessly heavy. Same for gnome to though. I personally use xfce.

Only if you develop with it commercially and closed source.

Then use LXQt. Budgie is also switching to Qt, I'm looking forward to that.

Whatever you use daily, obviously.

Qt is the superior toolkit so KDE. KDE community is shit though, but so is Gnome. Maybe your contribution can improve one of them.

Either way, KDE is less shit and less elitist, you can potentially have a bigger impact there.

I'm not OP. Just said to the dude facts. Because Sup Forums hates bloat. Also C > C++
;^)

No, but GTK does cost around 300 facepalms a day.

Ever heard about GObject?

Nope, GTK pulls in GNOME deps
Qt is DE agnostic and therefore less bloated.

Qt is LGPL licensed, so you can use it for commercial stuff, but if you modified Qt you have to open source those changes.

Elaborate please.

QT itself is bloat.
But who am I to argue with l337

Neither, just make one “Control Panel” application to control all major system functions from a GUI, all else besides a WM is bloat.

GNU/Linux is lacking a good settings application, all the ones so far are tightly integrated with their intended DE that most of the functionality is broken if you want to run your own WM. Their is no good way to configure your system with a GUI, without a desktop environment right now.

Desktop environments don’t follow Unix philosophy oftentimes. If you want to use anything gnome, you basically have to use all the gnome stuff.

Use GTK 2 style or QT.

ReactOS

ratpoison is the obvious answer.

People keep complaining KDE have bugs and as far as I know, KDE is very welcoming of bugfixes.
Gnome on the other hand tend to ignore that there is even a problem and would rather remove features than have bugs be fixed.

The KDE codebase is fairly large and they reuse a lot of code which can be intimidating to start with.
If you know cmake, c++ and qt, it is not a bad codebase though.

It's not.
It's literally a modular, embedded supporting framework.

As a wise man once said:
>63850931

Both are pretty good. Honestly though, Unity is still nice.

KDE. Gnome devs will just reject your patches and continue removing basic features.