And so begins the driver hunt

and so begins the driver hunt ...

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/groeck/it87
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

No one cares.

I do

Winfag here
What's this constant fuss about drivers on linux?

there isn't one, OP just doesn't into troubleshooting or not being a brainlet

there is none anymore unless you have a high dollar custom machine. finding drivers now only give a small gain

>OP just doesn't into troubleshooting or not being a brainlet
how about "no" fuckface?
I found out that the patch has been submitted but the driver maintainer is ignoring it.
I guess mum has to live without sound on her cat videos.

None. It will run on almost all hardware out of the box. Why do you think do they distribute live CDs in the first place? There are only a few to watch out for like Broadcom wireless cards.

>I found out that the patch
Which patch? Are you retarded? Don't answer.

>Which patch?
what patch do you fucking think dumbass?

this is bait

>this is bait
what paint have you been huffing?

do you know what a package manager is? what distribution are you attempting to use? what driver are you specifically having trouble finding?

you come off as less of a butt blasted brainlet when you actually pose a question instead of shit posting like this

For a lot of distros you have to compile sensor drivers separately as they're usually years out of date and not mainline.
it87 especially.

It's not exactly hard to
git clone
make
sudo make install

>no link to driver
>no mention of what hardware
>no patch posted
lol bait.

If not - just get the source and apply the patch yourself dummy, are you too stupid to use diff?

>are you too stupid to use diff?
user, don't be mean, i think OP actually might be that stupid

That might be more mean, but you're right, I shouldn't be mean.

OP, seriously, look up how to patch source code using diff on google, it's actually not that hard - if someone has already made a patch, you're good to go.

Steps:
1. Get the source for the driver you need (or the linux kernel source if it's a mainline driver!)
2. google how to use diff to patch that source code.
3. patch the code
4a. if just a driver, compile with make and then make install (run the last as root if you're not already)
4b. if a mainline driver and you patched a kernel source - google how to compile a kernel for your distro (certain distros have different semi-automated methods) and do it.
???
profit.

And so begins the 90/100 dice roll that everything works just dandy.
And so begins the 9.9/100 dice roll that something minor isn't quite right that takes an entire Google search to fix.

You cared enough to comment, bro.

>Steps:
>1. Get the source for the driver you need (or the linux kernel source if it's a mainline driver!)
>2. google how to use diff to patch that source code.
>3. patch the code
>4a. if just a driver, compile with make and then make install (run the last as root if you're not already)
>4b. if a mainline driver and you patched a kernel source - google how to compile a kernel for your distro (certain distros have different semi-automated methods) and do it.
>???
>profit.
I wasn't really asking for help, just expressing my frustration at another less-than-optimal fresh linux install. Hmmm so I guess you guys are right. I was just shitposting in some sort of way.

It's not just an issue of patching the kernel. I don't want to constantly be patching the kernel every update. I think the reason why the patch has not been accepted is due to quality. Which means spending another few months learning about a new area in the kernel and doing the tango with the module devs and maintainers. Probably by the time I get the patch in, my mum would have bought a new laptop.

Install gentoo

What do you mean by ' it87 ' ?
Thanks for mentioning the manual compilation, I had no idea that distros like Ubuntu were using out of date drivers for them!

Drivers in Linux are there for most things but are pretty bad compared to the drivers in Windows sometimes

This.

The main reason I like *buntu is because of how easily hardware support works.

It's very rare that anyone has to find drivers on linux. Usually you need to just compile for an obscure wifi driver.

install them properly then

Do not use Linix. From your post I clearly see that this experience will be awful to you.
Please, go back to your windows or macOS (if this is your orientation).
Leave sophisticated software to sophisticated people.

kernel exploits are far fewer than other software, if it's ubuntu you're using for it (and I'm assuming 16.04.3) just patch the latest 4.4 release and call it a day, do it again next quarter and so on.

>Leave sophisticated software to sophisticated people.
"sophisticated" software that can't even get vsync right out of the box

It's the driver for ITE's 87xx series I/O chips (provides Serial ports, fan speed monitoring and control, temp monitoring and current/voltage monitoring, the IT87 driver is concerned with the monitoring components the serial port is provided by another driver and is standards compliant)
github.com/groeck/it87

>don't ever learn!
>>>/kys/
Nah seriously though, fuck you. I wasn't going to be mean the rest of this but goddamn you're a fucking cunt.

>same fagging this hard
>making shit up

Do you even know what sophisticated means?

Sorry for your emotions. But I'm sick and tired of retards making here stupid threads about every little problem they have.
>Hurr durr, I have to manually mount drives!
>Hurr durr I don't know how to use websearch
I swear, if you make a stupid thread, I'll post very mean comment.

Oh, wait, you already made stupid thread.
So here's my mean comment:

Don't buy hardware which is not supported. It's that easy.

sage nigga

>1. Get the source for the driver you need (or the linux kernel source if it's a mainline driver!)
>2. google how to use diff to patch that source code.
>3. patch the code
>4a. if just a driver, compile with make and then make install (run the last as root if you're not already)
>4b. if a mainline driver and you patched a kernel source - google how to compile a kernel for your distro (certain distros have different semi-automated methods) and do it.
Linux: IT JUST WERKZ™

Works on my machine.(tm)

I dont get the joke, linux isn't for people that need shit to "just work" if you really have such a hard time troubleshooting hardware/software issues just use windows faggot