MacOS is the best Unix

>macOS is the best Unix

Other urls found in this thread:

theregister.co.uk/2015/12/17/press_backspace_28_times_to_own_any_grubby_linux_box/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_user_mode
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It's quite interesting that the best version of unix is most hated on Sup Forums. Just goes to show you that Sup Forums are nothing but hipsters.

>best version of unix
>macshitOS
Pick one.

This

No. You probably meant UNIX, but the best UNIX is Solaris. The best Unix, on the other hand, is FreeBSD.

oh wow a headline how scary

doesnt contradict my point at all, still the best version of unix
if you have problems with this, perhaps stop supporting alternative unix systems that are even more abysmal

Even if it was, that's not a high bar or a reason to use it as OS.

>Applefag are still defending this

If it was Linux having a vulnerability as bad as "mash button to become root", macfags wouldn't shut up about it. But because it's their toy, it's just a headline, it doesn't matter.

>perhaps stop supporting alternative unix systems that are even more abysmal
Name a single Linux distribution with a bug worse than this.

Remind me why being designed like a 40 years old OS is considered a good thing.

I'd just like to interject for a moment

What you are referring to as "mac os', is, in fact, BSD + cocoa/quartz, or as i've recently taken to calling it, FreeBSD plus a bunch of proprietary graphical bullshit

many macfags run a modified version of BSD everyday without realizing it, while simultaneously bitching about how windows copied muh industry standard look and feels, when in fact Apple stole an entire codebase

>stole
Found the retard

Sup Forums is a normie shitfest
they can't even do more then install Linux with the GUI installer and use a package manager to download Firecucks

>unix-LIKE kernel
>proprietary spaghetti code diarrhea vomited on top of it
>root

>best version of """""""""""unix""""""""

>waah things should be hard

Didn't grub have pretty much the same issue but it happened if you pressed backspace 28 times?

theregister.co.uk/2015/12/17/press_backspace_28_times_to_own_any_grubby_linux_box/

>windows

’d just like to interject for a moment. What you’re refering to as Windows, is in fact, NSA/Windows, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, NSA plus Windows. Windows is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another locked down component of a fully functioning NSA system made useful by the NSA corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by the government.
Many computer users run a modified version of the NSA system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of NSA which is widely used today is often called “Windows”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the NSA system, developed by the NSA.
There really is a Windows, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Windows is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Windows is normally used in combination with the NSA operating system: the whole system is basically NSA with Windows added, or NSA/Windows. All the so-called “Windows” versions are really versions of NSA/Windows.

Unix is a operating system from the 70s. What you mean is UNIX, which is a trademark' you can buy certificates to be an UNIX system. Since neither Windows or GNU/Linux are UNIX systems, and only macOS as relevant OS with UNIX certificate is left, yes. Well played, faggot.

Contrary to popular belief, it's not just a paywall.
Apple itself had trouble getting El Cap UNIX certification as it wasn't fully POSIX compatible.

No, things are easy, just that most people don't want to get into it. Same with macOS if you actually know what you're doing.

GRUB is shit and you should use rEFInd/EFISTUB if possible, for actual security use a BIOS password or LUKS.

Mash backspace 28 times to log boot in single-user mode rings a bell?

nobody with more than 2 neurons uses grub..

>he doesn't have a NIST SP 800-53 security controlled server room

XNU -- X is not Unix

Gahnoo / MacOS

That's pretty accurate.

>normie

>Name a single Linux distribution with a bug worse than this.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_user_mode
and it's not even a bug, it's a feature. any Unix/Unix-like system without a secured bootloader/PROM and physical can be owned in under 5 minutes, this includes Macs, GNU/Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, you name it

Bug 12309.

You have these backwards

I like how you think it means something. OS X isn't X, it's OS X. XNU's not X, it's XNU. Darwin's not X, it's Darwin. Whatever X is, it's not Unix. But X not being Unix doesn't mean OS X isn't.

shellshock
>in before a hipster interjects that they don't use bash on their desktop thread arch VM therefore it is irrelevant

How To Hijack An Apple Device You're Already Logged Into
>open website
>get asked 2fa code
>code pops up because the device is registered to do 2fa

How To Hijack Anything Else
>open website
>get asked 2fa code
>open Gmail/Thunderbird/etc.
>read newest email

WOW MAN FUCK APPLE

2FA doesn't email codes to you
t. AppleCare shit eating advisor

>this blatant damage control

it is kinda a shitty unix-like but it ends up being quite usable for retards and lazyfolk alike

>SHILL
>DAMAGE CONTROL
>LEDDIT XD
how original
truly revolutionary
like when progressives call everyone racist, literally no one gives a fuck now

how about that grub buffer underflow bug?

You forgot
>autism

Are you retarded? Single user mode does not give anyone unlimited access. It just drops you into a limited shell for recovery purposes.

What was your point? Is it only that "mac is gud"?

>apple actually paid for the UNIX cuckstamp when in reality noone who would actually care about his system being autismally POSIX/SUS complaint wouldn't touch if with a 5 metre pole because it requires to be run on Apple hardware that's both seriously underpowered and incredibly expensive

FYI, UNIX is actually very proprietary. AIX, IRIX, HP-UX, Tru64, all closed source and proprietary. Solaris was briefly open, but nobody seems to have picked up the code other than Illumos, and they don't have much of a user-base. Point is, MacOS is not unique in this regard.

Now that said, you are correct, it is only UNIX-like. It's based on NeXTSTEP which used the Mach micro-kernel.

hey dipshit, who's the single user in single-user again? hint: it's not the guest account

LOL
linuxfags on Sup Forums are actually beyond retarded
time to close up shop

You're prompted for a password before you can boot into single user mode retards. Not just anyone can do it.

tfw shit posting with an old PowerPC

Depends on the OS, honestly. AIX certainly doesn't, as I just broke into an AIX 4.3.3 system 2 minutes ago (it's my system, incidentally, previous owner didn't wipe the drives).

Boot from the CD, select Recovery, wait, type "passwd", and boom. Root password changed.

Well the context was about linux in which you can certainly prompt a password via sulogin.

Pretty much. Macdrones love repeating muh UNIX because they think it sounds cool but they really have no idea what theyre talking about clearly.

Sorry, read this post as the start of the chain and assumed the conversation was referring to UNIX in general.
>any Unix/Unix-like system without a secured bootloader/PROM and physical can be owned in under 5 minutes, this includes Macs, GNU/Linux, Solaris, HP-UX, you name it

>FreeBSD plus a bunch of proprietary graphical bullshit
kek

Oh look, it's the poorfag britbong mactoddler that's evading his ban again.

Because the basic ideas used in that 40 year old OS were so good that it's still being used not only by Apple, but pretty much every tech company/organization that builds its own operating system. Ideas such as "keep it simple, stupid", or "do one thing and do it well".

Question: Is your hair blue?

It's good for media consumption and not much else. I use OS X on a ThinkPad X230 and 2011 MacBook Pro and it's truly a toy OS. It's a very nice toy, but still a toy. I use Fedora for all of my real work, and I use Windows 7 and XP for a few games.

>Pajeet's malware privileges
>Elevated
Fucking embarrassing.

>"do one thing and do it well".
>root

This. Macos is a fucking joke that just shits all over the unix philosophy.

The only good part of macos is the kernel, and apple had absolutely nothing to do with its creation. Everything else, which all came from Applel, is a complete total clusterfuck of spaghetti code shit shat all over on top of the Mach kernel.

>>macOS is ... Unix
I want to believe.

GRUB isn't Linux. It doesn't even use Linux.

Apple OSs before OSX weren't UNIX.
The hardware platform has been through 3 iterations since the first MC68000 Mac. Motorola, PPC and Intel.
How did you get a Type 11 error booting from a CD? 9.2.1 fixed Type 11 errors; you should update your troll.

>The only good part of macos is the kernel, and apple had absolutely nothing to do with its creation.
You really have a chat with the troll on here yesterday who was saying how bad the microkernel was on OSX. OSX, of course, runs a hybrid kernel.

>macbooks are popular for years
>steve jobs make some good choices that make it ok
>2017
>macbooks slowly becoming shit
>normie buy Ipad instead
>while on Sup Forums people start to shill it more and more

You know a thing will die when Sup Forums start to love it.

>slowly

What is Google Autenticator? What are SMS?
Also
>Laptops can't be stolen

That was a bash vulnerability, meaning it was on OSX,*BSD and Linux along with Cygwin on Windows

>*BSD
Only if you installed Bash

I really like this 2factor meme thats going around twitter and leddit because its easy to find out who the retards are when they post this screenshot and say "lol"

Fair point, but to say it was only a Linux vulnerability is extremely misleading.

not unless you set it up that way, though it looks like newer systems are starting to have it set up by default
single-user on SysV Unix systems, OS X and most Linux systems will still dump you right into a root prompt, which is logical given that resetting the root password is one of those "recovery purposes" previously alluded to
apparently is not the default on a lot of systems even nowadays considering you can readily find root reset guides for current versions of a lot of major distributions

I pick both.

It's also extremely misleading to brush off a defect in a very prominent fixture of the core GNU/Linux stack just because it runs on other platforms, it's damaging all the same, and GNU/Linux was more than likely the only platform actually significantly at risk from it, not desktop-oriented systems like OS X or Cygwin or the BSDs where it was optional.

>mash button to become root
>that requires physical access to the machine in first place
>that can be paliated with filevault
>literally crying because a feature common to all unices
Didn't you heard of init=/bin/bash or single user mode?

>limited shell
>literally root on your drive
You are trolling or you're a moron.

I still don't understand why the GNU/Linux camp likes to do insecure shit and believe they aren't doing nothing.
>yfw you learnet that the masturbating monkeys meme was Linus attempt at damage control after being called out for not following his own rules

>they are doing nothing
My bad. The spic on me is haunting.