/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Ask your stupid questions here. Please take the time to web search first.

Other urls found in this thread:

autotheme.wordpress.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

sup Sup Forums computer illiterate here
is net neutrality good, or bad ?

I have an Ubuntu server set up with a VPN and I want to start using it for torrenting.

Is there any way to have a sort of killswitch to automatically stop torrenting if my VPN disconnects for some reason?

best app for backing up MMS and SMS to cloud/email?

Set up UFW so no outbound traffic is allowed, except through VPN.

If your electric company could prevent you from using your game systems and PC without paying for an extra package, would that be good? That's fundamentally the principle behind net neutrality: not discriminating between usage.

It's irrelevant because the """net neutrality""" that just got repealed was not at all what you most likely think net neutrality is.

can anyone help me with my picture

was i suppose to not upgrade firefox (i think it started happening after that)?

Do you want to pay $200 month to access 20 websites at dialup speeds?
Without NN thats where the internet is headed

thanks user this is exactly what I needed

Which KMS is best used to keep LTSB activated, also which is the best debloat tool, ive just ran DecrapifierV2

im afraid to do the squat on the toilet thing because ive seen pics of injuries when toilet bowls break
but im not 500 lbs so i could probably do it safely

>using jpg for images of text

Isn't it ridiculous that our laws our so convoluted we can't even argue about them properly.

pic to show why I am confused.

Are there any tablets or gaming tablets that can double as a second screen, either wirelessly or with some kind of cable? Are there any brands with this feature?

What command, bash script, or daemon do people use to connect to wifi on minimal linux installs?

>gaming tablets

is there a website like pastebin but that can handle URL's?
i need to host a list of things but I need some things on the list to be clickable URL's. is there some website similar to pastebin that does this easily but can do URL links?

>unplug laptop (thinkpad) charger from the wall
>battery led stays on for a few seconds

where does the electricity go if i unplug both ends at the same time

Trying to install botnet windows 10 for my friend but every time I boot from USB it just freezes at a light blue screen with no error given and turns off the computer after about a minute. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Are there any firefox offshoots based on the previous version (56.0.2) UI and aesthetics?

I just want something portable to use as a second screen for a laptop and I'm not sure what to look for.

Monitor

whats the most demanding android game you will be playing? Will it be maxed out settings or VR?

amazing, was this all before net neutrality was the law?

NN started in the US in 2015

Regulations existed before that. A 2015 court case struck down the old regs and said that the FCC couldn't regulate ISPs unless it classified them under Title 2.
The current Obama-era net neutrality regs were created after that court case.

It's pretty telling these groups doing the campaigning on reddit and the like all have 0 employees with a technical background. This stuff is extremely low detail on purpose to keep people in analogy territory without them understanding what actually happens. The analogies are wrong on purpose.

How many ISP are there actually in America? Let's say in a big city like L.A.? I always seem to read about AT&T and Verizon.

I configured laptop mode tools to set the "powersave" governor when the laptop is working on battery power, but when I pull out the AC, it goes down to the lowest frequency for a moment, and then goes back up to the maximum frequency.
What am I doing wrong?

# FILE: /etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf
ENABLE_LAPTOP_MODE_TOOLS=1
ENABLE_LAPTOP_MODE_ON_BATTERY=1
ENABLE_AUTO_MODULES=1

#FILE: /etc/laptop-mode/conf.d/cpufreq.conf
CONTROL_CPU_FREQUENCY="auto"
BATT_CPU_MAXFREQ=slowest
BATT_CPU_MINFREQ=slowest
BATT_CPU_GOVERNOR=powersave
BATT_CPU_IGNORE_NICE_LOAD=1

if we were to take one of these examples, say, the comcast p2p service blocking one, how did that turn out? how did net neutrality laws help in that case?

alright so I made the biggest mistake of life and installed win10 for free over a year ago since it was offeres but its seriously fucking awful
is there a way to get win7 back for free? I dont really want to touch linux because im a tech illiterate retard

yes
download a win7 iso off the pirate bay

They were told to stop or have class action lawsuits on their hands + what ever the fcc wanted to fine them

Depends on how well your toilet is built

>they were told to stop
so the fcc saved us from the big bad guy in this case?

Title II said that an ISP is not allowed to say they advertise "internet service" unless they provided a standard level of service providing equal handling of every packet no matter the source or destination.
The ISP was free to advertise that they offered "limited network services" and could throttle and block as they saw fit. The ISPs did not want to have to claim they did not offer "internet service", so they lobbied to repeal Title II.

Why did the ISPs want to throttle and block as they chose?
ISPs sold internet subscriptions under the assumption that their users would mostly not be using the connection.

Say the ISP has 1000 units of bandwidth available. They want to sell subscriptions of the size of one unit. How many people can they sell service to?
1000 people aren't going to be using all of their bandwidth all the time, so the number is something greater than 1000. Why? Because you can continue to provision more subscription sales, and the additional customers will just "borrow" the bandwidth that isn't currently being used.

The ISPs overprovisioned though. They still only have 1000 units of bandwidth, but they've sold subscriptions to 10000 customers. Now with video streaming sites, people watching videos instead of doing traffic-light things like visiting shopping websites. There's 1000 people with their 1 unit subscriptions trying to use the connection, and that's slowing their network down.

What's the solution? It's to upgrade the infrastructure, so that they can continue to sell subscriptions to their 10000 customers, but be able to deliver more than 1000 total units of bandwidth.
Yeah ISPs don't do want do that. They want to have the ability to, at will, throttle access to certain websites instead.

They have cable packages to sell you, cable is delivered multicast instead of unicast, so it's much much easier on the ISPs infrastructure. You should be satisfied with cable, according to your ISP. They're even offering you a discount!

They have historically this millennia until this pajeet was elected with trump

But in this particular case? When comcast was blocking p2p networks? You're telling me that the fcc rode in on a white horse and told them to cut it out and then everything was peachy after that

NN didn't help in that case. The FCC absolutely had the regulatory power to bully the bag guys prior to 2014.

In 2014 they lost a case against Verizon stating that the FCC didn't have the right to regulate ISPs unless they were classified as common carriers under Title II. Net Neutrality in 2015 restored the FCC's power.

The FCC didn't need NN before 2014. It lost it's regulatory power and NN restored it.

It's not that difficult of a concept to understand.

help

RAID is not backup

to be honest, given this post here i think you should stop talking about net neutrality legislation because its clear you dont know what youre talking about

How can I save my keyboard shortcuts? I dont want to use i3 because it is too advanced. Is dwm easier?
Im using Mint Cinnamon.

so rsync it is!
Thanks

In what sense am I wrong? The FCC will just step in and stop ISPs from doing something anti-consumer like they have in the past? How? ISPs no longer fall under the FCC's jurisdiction without NN.

What's the most recent security update for Windows 7 that doesn't contain weird/telemetry shits? I looked up Google for recommendation but they seem outdated

Does anybody know of a program that will show the current song lyrics as part of the desktop background?
I'm using wallpaper engine to play a visualizer as a wall paper but I think it'd be real fuckin neato if song lyrics could show up on the wallpaper too.

did you even read the wikipedia page about net neutrality? I suggest you do, and pay particular attention to how the FCC helped out in the case of comcast blocking p2p networks

The power brick? I don't completely get what your asking though

what is the difference between exhentai and e-hentai

they look and give me the exact same results

e-h is publically visible
exh is secret club
some kinds of shit especially loli get removed from e-h go avoid legal trouble but stay up on exh

does it stay there

how is it a secret club if i can go right on it ?

?

im talking about exhentai.org vs e-hentai.org is that what youre talking about? maybe we're confusing eachother

basilisk

Does Google track me when I use Google docs? if so, are their any methods to continue using the service without being spied on? It's just too convenient

Yes
No

Good idea, bad implementation.

Where do you get used business laptops from? I live in NZ but general tips would be helpful

ebay

pb technology has used laptops, and they have good customer service, ive rma'd two things to them over the years without incident

www.newegg.com

Do i need to host a DNS server on a local office Active Directory Windows Server? And why? Explain like i m a newly born fetus

(the deadline is in sub 30 hours got 2200 words to write)

HELP

I got a tough one, but I still feel like a brainlet for not figuring it out by now. I've been doing a lot of research on it and have come up with nothing. All I've learned is that a lot of other people have had this problem and every thread I've found has either been left unanswered or the solution that worked for the OP didn't work for me.

So a month ago my old Macbook Pro gave out on me, but since the hard drive was safe I decided to put in into an enclosure until I could save up for a computer to use in finding all the personal files I want salvaged before I wipe it. I got a laptop (a Chromebook) and went to look for the files. Couldn't find them anywhere. I've looked under my user account, clicked "show hidden files," etc. I've tried plugging it into a Windows computer at my university and it didn't even show up (I did research and found out that to be a common problem for some as well). I've done everything short of plug it up to another mac, which I have no access to ever since mine broke. Anything helps.

You guys can shit on my choice in laptops after my problem is fixed. Thanks in advance for any advice/help offered.

Are 24" curved monitors worth it?

Just got some Vr goggles and I want to connect my phone to my computer in order to watch Vr videos and Play games. What is the most safe and reliable software out there? So far I've found KinoVR, Trinus, and VRidge

HDDs don't even fully utilize SATA II, right?

go for a 27 inch 1080/1440p instead if you got space, it takes up way more of you view than a 24inch. Idk if curved is worth it, i really want a VG278Q which is just 300-400American burger money, 144hz 1080p freesync. super low input lag for games if u care about that

I'm reviewing math from arithmetic to calc 1 in order to read SICP, am I doing right?

>he needs to review arithmetic
have you considered reading Structure and Interpretation of the Janitor Bucket instead

Can someone please help me?

I've librebooted my x60s and installed Trisquel mini 7.0. I absolutely love it. However, I have no audio and none of the solutions available online have worked for me. I've checked Alsamixer to ensure the channels aren't muted and I installed pavucontrol as well. The playback streams are reporting sound is being played in pavucontrol when I attempt to do so, but I hear nothing. Connecting headphones or external speakers does not resolve this.

Please can someone help me out?

lmao, it's just basic arithmetic, its properties and stuff like Euclidean division. it will help me alot when I get to "harder" math

anyone?

Maybe you can help Sup Forums. I've been trying to get this theme engine to work, but something seems to go wrong? something about a user-session-daemon? no fucking idea, i've only started using linux this year.

Whoops, forgot link: autotheme.wordpress.com/

there are hdmi transmitters if you just want mobility.

It's pretty telling these groups doing the shilling on Sup Forums and the like all have 9000+ ledditors with a contrarian background. These posts are extremely low detail on purpose to keep people in echo chamber territory without them understanding what actually happens. The echo chambers are wrong on purpose.

So, any idea of why appchan-x isn't working? Is been like a week since it stopped working and installing it again doesn't work.

Any good Firefox video/stream downloader plugins that arent broken as shit?

please respond

toilets are made of porcelain, which is just fancy ceramic, AKA china or pottery, it's thick but it's hollow
would it hold up? couldn't tell you

what do you mean? you give it a link and it gives you one back? pastebin type sites already give you a link to pasted content

you don't have the precision required to unplug both ends at the exact same time
but either way, most likely some capacitors, and being bled away as heat and RF

what is the purpose of using a capture card for live streaming to twitch on a PC?

is it just for better quality that people use separate PCs for capturing?

i would imagine the capture card and separate PC should do similar things; offload the work of capturing the video to the separate device

>on PC
probably some dumb technophobe who mostly does console games (where capturecards are actually useful) and is too afraid or lazy to learn a new system

What kind of applications are you guys making in C, C++, and/or Rust? They seem like such complex language. I don't see what the point in using these languages is if Python or Ruby is so much easier to write.

I can tell from experience that you will not regret getting bt headphones for a laptop

Not a fix, but a workaround

How can I embed album art automatically? Most programs I see are a fucking bother to do anything.

how can i get a job programming online? i want to stay home

Do you think that that would work if wired headphones, external speakers and the internal speakers don't? I'm pretty sure this X60s doesn't even have a bluetooth module.

definitely
I'm pretty sure it's only his soundcard that doesn't work, whereas bt speakers are kind of soundcards themselves

Fuck... I wonder if it's a case of the Intel soundcard not running with Libreboot or Trisquel because of proprietary drivers? Wouldn't that mean it would be undetected or that the playback streams would not indicate sound is being played even though nothing can be heard?

Okay. Thank you, user. This is one potential workaround that I could explore. What do you think of this ?

Would running a live distro on a usb significantly run down my usb's life? or does that not matter as long as im not writing & deleting heaps of stuff on it? Don't the programs and stuff essentially run on the computers RAM and not the usb?