/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Delid your CPU
youtube.com/watch?v=2eFzNpTOaOw

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>NO i5 7500/7600K or i7 7700/K. THEY ARE DEFUNCT AND SUPERSEDED BY COFFEE LAKE
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>R5 1600 / i5 8400 - Great gaming (especially the 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 3000-3200 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports (if you have to use RAM off the QVL, update BIOS and there's a decent chance it'll work)

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/Qrx2gL
pcpartpicker.com/list/rYNvzM
amd.com/ru/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-1600
youtu.be/j_KFd8TASdc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

what is coffee lake?

Intel i3/i5/i7 8X00, rather than 7X00

dat bezel

best year to buy value pc, 2015/16/17/18/19?

I posted in the previous thread asking about a 1080p gaming build, and got the feedback to get faster ram, so I changed out the ram to be a bit faster. Anything else I should be changing?

pcpartpicker.com/list/Qrx2gL

My main concern is that the stock cooler for the cpu might not be enough to maintain high turbo boost clockrates if they are necessary for a particular game. I'd rather not bother with a 3rd party cooler, but should I be too worried about the stock? This is gonna be my first ever build, and I'm really looking forward to getting it all done, but I really don't know what to be looking out for in terms of potential problems in the build.

intel 14nm++ aka 8th gen core series

>single channel ram

get 2x4gb for dual channel. and i don't know who told you to get faster ram but anything 2400+ is fine. this isn't like ryzen which thrives off ram speeds.
also that monitor sucks. my roomate has one and it's got terrible colours, sub par viewing angles and is going to be outdated in to time with all these MVA panels coming out now with massively superior contrast ratios and viewing angles, as well as colours. something like is a better choice:

Pixio PX245c (1080p 144hz)
or
PX277 (1440p 144hz) - more future proof for future gpu upgrades and also bigger size for content viewing. they also have 32" ones available

so are those like the same price though?? this is my current idea of what to buy in the next year or so, am I putting money into the right places? I figure i probably need faster ram then?

looks pretty are you sure you need that big of a power supply though? apparenlty drawing too much power is less effficient

When you dump all your money into a GPU and then get an average processor you'll end up bottlenecked. Try something more along the lines of a 1070 and a 1600x. Don't buy windows 10 there, get it off kinguin for a lot cheaper. You should also get at least a 550 or 650W PSU, and that ram is horrible. Get some 3200 RAM and get a dual pack, maybe some corsair or something that isn't overpriced due to RGB

Why is the Ryzen 1500x so expensive? It's like $170 on Amazon. All these prices are too high.

Okay but a quad core 3.5 ghz with 16mb cache is a bit more than average I would say and probably wouldn't bottle neck that hard I should probably take money from the graphics card and distribute it more evenly though I guess. The PSU calculators I use say this rig needs like 400 watts and apparently going way over reduces efficiency, does the ram speed really matter that much? I found a 3000 duo for 60 dollars more
I agree I dont like rgb desu its a waste of money, I literally want all my money to be put into performance and functionality

I'm going from a website that's a local store, I'm not so sure I want to buy online because I wanna make sure its easy to return or exchange if need, amazon is cheaper because the store ships it to them, should I really buy online though? I like having the store as a support system, but they might be doing something wrong to make it cost more

Holy fuck ram is expensive

this better friends?? i do want this rig to have a gaming focus but i still want to be able to multitask while downloading and not have to worry when i have like 4 decently intense programs running simultaneously

How do I get a small display that takes composite cables that is cheap?

Or is it cheaper to get a display and a converter?

I would wait a few more months before buying a Ryzen to lessen the chance of getting an early batch that has the segfault defect.

This was the ram I had in it in the previous thread, you're saying this would be better?

pcpartpicker.com/list/rYNvzM

I was planning on just going with the TN and doing what I could through calibration for the colors. Viewing angle doesn't bother me. That PX245c does look interesting. I don't really know too much about VA panels; can you give me a quick rundown? I'd especially like some opinions on whether VA is worth taking over TN for fps/moba/other competitive games where the response time and input lag matter more. For me I think performance is a bigger priority than especially good colors, though if this monitor performs well enough it might be worthwhile anyway.

You're way overpaying for that RAM.

I just got 16GB 2666mhz for $160 Canadian. 3000mhz isn't more than $200 CAD.

Sounds good because this is actually my pre-pre purchase plan, I'm trying to scope things out and learn right now, I'm waiting to pay off another 4900 or so in student loans before I make this purchase
where did you get it from? the nice thing about getting everything in one tech-specific store is the customer service, I'm thinking of getting a few parts from amazon though once I confirm what I want

someone please respond

I could also use some kind of small portable battery to power this and the computer itself

I wanted a ryzen build but those ram prices holy shit.
Now I seriously consider a used old Xeon because I can buy 32gb DDR3 for 100$.

why do you want to use composite cables, you should just google what you're looking for or try to find it on amazon
its probably expensive for a reason

Personally I would wait for Ryzen 2 which is supposed to ship Q1 2018. The current Ryzen is a good chip but but it appears there are some bugs like segfault and random lockups with the current version.

>Need for 3D modelling/sculpting
>Full tower case
>1200CAD max budget

also should I wait till next year if there is something right around the corner? because i can delay the build. Heard that GPUs are rising in price.

I too would like to know where you ordered from.

was it dual channel?

btw I accidentally chose RGB ram LOL whoops

alright I think this would be a decent build as long as the motherboard works (I picked the cheapest one)

RAM shouldn't cost more than CPU+mobo.

For an ultra cheap budget, is there a better option than getting a used optiplex or other business computer, and adding a gpu?

my monitor changes brightness sometimes but i have adaptive brightness turned of wut do

what is mobo? I mean RAM is an essential part of a computer

I guess intel is more expensive for reliability reasons

how well does Ryzen currently play with wangblows 7? no issues?

>I guess intel is more expensive for reliability reasons

Intel chips had their own problems in the past. Ryzen is such a new architecture that it's not surprising there were some critical bugs. That's why I'm waiting for the next generation Ryzen which hopefully incorporates lessons learned from the first generation. I would rather not pay AMD to beta test their chips.

Ryzen 5 1600 + Asrock ab350 pro4 with a GTX 1080. Any risks of bottleneck on either sides or I'm good ?

I got about 2k for a new build. I need new everything though, including two new monitors. I know jack shit about where monitors have gone in the last eight years. Hardware I'm less worried about, but monitors....fuck.

So far at least, Meshify C for the case. Aesthetic as fuck.

Ryzen 5 1600 can handle only 2667 mhz ram why do you need 3000 ram? Can someone explain?

mine bluescreened no matter what i did
so here i am getting assblasted by windows 10

What, if any, are the real advantages of going with a DDR4 motherboard-era setup, with say a decent Ryzen?

I bought a black friday computer with all this shit for a pretty good price, but I'm trying to upgrade it a bit for mining and to throw more RAM in, and had NO fucking idea how expensive shit was, the ram in particular.

I'm seriously thinking about getting rid of this memefest and picking up a used FX-8350 and mobo combo and sticking my old 16GB DDR3 ram back in there. Redpill me on the new shit.

>i5-3470
>8GB DDR3
>Ati RX550 2GB LP
>240GB SSD

what would be the bottleneck? any use of more ram? I'd be playing games not newer than 2-5 years

sooner build for linux than deal with wangblows 10

Forgot to mention that my main use case is gaming specifically in VR. So I've already got 2x 470's in crossfire and they do alright; I've just come to learn over the years that when it comes to gayming performance, literally nothing matters CPU or RAM or anything-wise other than your GPUs, as long as you have above a Core 2 Duo.

I've been thinking about building my own PC

Should I start by designing the clock?

How much should I charge for building a PC?

YO this is the thread I needed. I bought a Ryzen 7 1700 and I can't choose which motherboard to buy. I was planning on OC to at least 3.7 or 3.8 on the chip (it would be my first time overclocking and I don't want to push it too far). I have enough for most boards but I don't give a fuck about RGB or hardcore overclocking functions. I just want to one and done OC and get on with using the comp, no benchmarking or other hardcore OC bologna. What do you guys suggest?

>why composite

It's my only option
Please help

I can't find what I'm looking for

>want to watch some comfy videos about old pc hardware

>get recommended russian idiots trying to run GTA V on shitty old gpus instead of period videos

The fuck is wrong with Russians?

What is the best value cheap (

yeah but they might even fix all the bugs before the next generation

I'm looking at just under 2k including everything and I'm going with a 1080p monitor probably, maybe 1440 if I can find one, its mostly resolution, curvature and refresh rate that have gone up IMO

thanks for the heads up I might get some slightly slower RAM

where does it say that

I'm pretty sure it just depends on the motherboard

Asus, they have automatic overclocking software with Asus Suite, it's windows bloatware interfacing with your BIOS but it werks for brain dead overclocking.

If I have an SSD with Windows 7 installed and connect it to an AM4 motherboard with Ryzen CPU, will it work without me needing to install anything extra?

There isn't one. You have to buy used.

You will still run into USB 3.0/3.1 driver problems. Do a fresh install with drivers slipstreamed in.

Screw that shit, I'll get Intel instead

Official AMD Site
amd.com/ru/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-5-1600

>pcbg loves ryzen
>only thing they ever talks about and recommend
>doesnt really know anything about it though
>continue on calling intel discussions shill frills

Classicâ„¢

>RAM Speed requirements based on Motherboard specs

you could have taken the time that you used to screenshot and edit that image to google the question and find out that 1600 supports 3200 and can get it easily.

2133 and 2667 are standard JEDEC clockspeeds guaranteed to work. Anything beyond is considered "OC" and is much more dependent on motherboard and the stick itself. Even Intel Ark lists there k processors as supporting only 2666

already have a board
this is going to be a nice upgrade from my 1366 system
only got 1 DIMM because fuck these prices right now

The segfault thing is only on chips made before may.

>Ryzen 5 1600 can handle only 2667 mhz ram why do you need 3000 ram?
XMP. Look it up.

I doubt the RAM prices will improve much until 2019. I did some research just on that topic today.

I'll probably buy 4x16gb for a X399 build soon. Anyone got any suggestions?
Requirements:
- 4x16gb
- Samsung b-die
- dual rank
- quad channel
- >=3000 Mhz

That's even worse. Intel has the same problem.

>I doubt the RAM prices will improve much until 2019. I did some research just on that topic today.

So in case 3000 RAM will work at 2400 out of the box? If he want 3000 mhz he should change momi?

This is the answer. Ok i get it.

Check the tread. Your shit will probably work at 3000mhz with this setup.

are there any good monitors (4k 144hz tn) for less than ~600€?

I'm not against buying used. What are some good options?

Where do I get an i5 8400 as a US person? There seems to be literally no stock anywhere. Should I just preorder somewhere?

What's a good budget 240-256gb SSD to get?

Also, will even the cheapest SSDs outperform a WD Black HDD? There seem to be conflicting opinions on this.

>Also, will even the cheapest SSDs outperform a WD Black HDD? There seem to be conflicting opinions on this.
yes
maybe not in certain things but defiantly in random read

Maybe an r9 280.

>Accidently stick my earplugs into my usb port
>Laptop dies
What happened

Thanks, but the price is above my budget

Maybe an r9 270x, if that's too expensive get a 29 270, etc.

ram speed doesn't matter as much for intel as it does for ryzen, 2400 2666 2800 3000 just whatever is on sale and overclock that bitch

Ah yes the overclock meme. Or "how to fuck your warranty for minimal gains"

bait

You'll need to predownload your new motherboard's chipset drivers + usb drivers + network drivers before you connect it to the new motherboard. If you don't, you'll boot into WIndows but it won't recognize your usb stick. So put that shit on a folder on a hard drive if you have to, best way is to clean install, its not hard desu

bad bait.
take a lap.

right now 2400/2666 is about the same price, so that's where the best value is...don't pay a premium for 3200, overclock to 2800 or 3000 and put that extra money into a bigger ssd or another hd

I've returned overclocked shit before.

LPX is shit RAM don't buy

are sound cards placebo autism?

curved monitors look neat but yeah, 1080p? and then the 4k stuff I'm not sure is necessary in monitors, probably not until cost comes way way down.

TN - faster response & that's pretty much it

VA - better contrast ratios, better colour reproduction, much better viewing angles

You literally won't notice the difference between 1ms and 4ms. If it was 1ms vs 6+ ms then yeah you might if you're some pro league counter strike player but in general it's very hard to notice a difference, especially only a 3ms difference at 4ms. I'd go for the VA panel all day because it will reduce the requirement for a monitor upgrade in the long run compared to the TN as you won't find yourself wanting to upgrade to get better colours and a better viewing experience sooner.

The pixio monitor is used in this video test and you can see how responsive it is in general and not to be worried about:
youtu.be/j_KFd8TASdc

where can i get some kef q100 on europe? thomann doesnt have em

>it's shit lol
>doesn't elaborate on why

Short circut might have fried something.

Is the sound quality not as high fidelity as with other ram casings?

>this is my current idea of what to buy in the next year or so
don't bother. half of this is going to be outdated

how much can I realistically sell these for?

I'm seeing some odd curved, lighter colored bands on the display in that video, is that something that's just an effect of the recording/glare?

What CAS latency should I get to make sure that a decent overclock is possible?
For 3200mhz I always read about getting CL14,is the same true for 2400 and 2666 kits?

I GOT KEKED BY INTEL FOR THE LAST TIME
I GOT KEKED BY COLLUDING GOOKS FOR THE LAST TIME
I GOT KEKED BY CRYPTOKIDDOS FOR THE LAST TIME

REEEEEEEEEEEE

Who was in the wrong here?

i5 8400 = paper launch

to anyone considering "buying" it: know that stores won't get any in stock till late January.

get ryzen+2 instead at that point

newegg had some in stock yesterday. I was able to buy mine