Linus torvalds

what will happen to linux when he dies?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rX0ItVEVjHc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It will become MSFT/Linux, or as I'll recently take to calling it Microsoft plus Linux.

non-whites will take over (probably pajeets) and everything will go down the shitter

we need to upload his brain into an ai before that happens

Redhat will completely take over it and we will have to pay to install any distro with exception of gentoo which will require your ID and a registry in their database plus a 200 dollar tax.

This is asked all the time, and the answer is always that Greg Kroah-Hartman takes over.

or Andrew Morton.

He is immortal.

By the time he dies systemd will already have replaced every part of the kernel so we'll be running systemd instead

-SJWs take over the code, so no master/slave, cursing etc
-companies take over licensing, so it will drop gplv2 and turn into MIT/BSD
-the pöttering comes in and integrates it to systemd-kerneld

>-companies take over licensing, so it will drop gplv2 and turn into MIT/BSD
I agree with other points but this is practically impossible because they need to get permission from all the copyright holders, which is everyone who's made a significant contribution to the project (or those who inherit their estate if they've died since).

underrated fpbp

you really think something THAT important wouldn't be worth the effort for these groups lmao?
hunting down some copyright holders/paying a nice sum to widows is easy as fuck

Pajeets are the living will of FOSS.

Who?

>some
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

well, wsl is a thing already and it is quite funny when mshills try to push wsl as a best of both worlds and what devs need to be productive while it is mutt abomination with baggage

>tfw when even telemetry/OS realizes its inferiority and linux is ubiquitous but the linux desktop is still the butt of all jokes

Linus rarely write code anymore.
He merges code other people write.
Someone can easily take over.
I vote for greg.

in context just a small number

lol, they will do an intel and just disregard the license. Will pay up the fines of the two mars bars decided by the supreme court

Nothing will happen, or someone will fork it, to make sure, that Pajeet will not touch it

or that desu

actually openssh server was much more important than wsl
wsl was just memed because ubuntu is now nothing but an app in the windows store

I know, that's why it's funny
there are thousands of contributors and you'd have to obtain written permission from *at least* 95% of them and that number is basically a "it worked for Mozilla once" thing

All you people trust Linus but assume he hasn't quietly arranged a successor in the event of his demise. I'm sure he's picked someone with good "taste" as he puts it, although undoubtedly a lot of that HIV positive stuff is going to go in after anyway.

he's autistic he can't plan for long term

Nothing has happened with linux while he's alive.

Lennart Poettering will take over. Red Hat basically owns the Linux Foundation.

Greg K.H. or Al Viro will probably become the new maintainer

name forks which became successful. I would wager you are not doing ayo.js on your devuan, are you? forks are nice in theory, but utterly meaningless from a practical pov

Good one! Haha.

linux being ran as a microsoft substystem just proves Torvalds won the OS war

rms will absorb the soul (contained in some foot grime) of Torvalds and Linux will become a GNU project making him the most powerful man on the planet

good things.

Heaven?

Ew no thank you.

Full blown systemd OS happens.

>(((Linus "Security problems are just bugs" Torvalds)))
I can't wait until this fucker is dead

Mauro takes over.

They are, like he has clearly explained. Any bug can be a security bug if people figure out how to exploit it. There should be a healthy fear for all bugs and not just for ones people report as security bugs. As all bugs are potentially harmful it's no use crippling the OS unusable to fix a couple of them. The OS needs to stay usable. Stop being a brainlet and thank him for uncucking the planet.

If he got summoned as a servant in the holy grail war what his noble phantasm would be?

>The OS needs to stay usable
Oy vey!! Don't even think about fixing bugs because then stuff might not work anymore.

He will take it over.

Who takes over when he dies? Can you read?

Right, but Torvalds does have guiding principles for what should/should not be included into the kernel. Reading from the KML, Torvalds seems anal about stuff that could break userspace applications. He might be also have other judgments that determine what is merged - like not tolerating developers' incompetence and hubris. He pulls no punches when giving criticism.

Maybe the way he's managing the Linux is critical in guarding against the shittening of the kernel.

Lennart will replace him and integrate gnome into the kernel

*managing the Linux project

His feminist daughters will own the rights to Linux.

Literally the only correct answer itt.

Chad Greg Kroah-Hartman will take over, fags and SJWs will be purged without mercy

Who cares. By then we will have hurd and it should be usable by then.

It will finally be free.

>it should be usable by then
kek

>-companies take over licensing, so it will drop gplv2 and turn into MIT/BSD
Companies like the license, it allows them to contribute in a way that their code cannot be used against them in a competing product since any competing products have to be GPL as well.

lol GNU plus Linux plus systemd

>let's break everything for the sake of safety, if you can't use your computer you are safe from attacks too
How about sending patches that are not just commenting out vital features, but actually fixing them? No? Unusable PC is the optimal PC? Okay then.

keion ai when??

>what will happen to linux when he dies?
we rise up and switch en mass to the superior FreeBSD.

I won't be around to see it - once i can no see Linus cuss people out for making mistakes there wont be anything left in this world for me

OP here. I totally agree with this because by the time he's gone BSD might have full support with my hardware and it's not really considered a botnet...right?

It'll crash and burn

Mauro will finally get his sweet revenge.

There are plenty of heirs to the Linux empire. I'm sure Linus picked one in his testament.

After all, he is technically still the dictator of linux, even if he doesn't contribute to it much, and I feel is safer to give the Linux brand to a single noble individual more than a soulless company.

RMS dies first though. 64 old american fatass vs a 47 year old finn.

Who will replace him?
Who will we replace him with on the sticky?

Master race B S D wins. Nothing personnel linuxfriends it was only a matter of time until eternal lennart systemDicks you.

He'll never die.

>have to pay with exception of gentoo
>requires $200

that's paying, numb nuts

>that feel when when

linus won.

what if the coding of linux really is writing linus into sentient being? and linux is programmed to come alive once he is no longer alive?

can u really not tell the difference between linus torvalds and linus from fucking linus tech tips

>bsd
>an os that cant run shit or do anything better or easier than another os takes over
Apex kek. Your OS is a hobbyist OS and a novelty; nothing more than that. You're fucking delusional.

Linus has been asked about this in some interviews. There's a system in place and other people ready to take over; there's actually some who do his job from time to time already.

Exactly.

>Wow, for such a small file, every single function was incorrect. And
you abused sysfs in a new and intersting way that I didn't think was
even possible. I think this is two new records you have set here,
congratulations.

kek

When Linus dies, Linux lives.

Final boss tier numale soyboy. He would put sponsors everywhere.

He doesn't even know what a linux is, I am pretty sure even his servers run windows

I will always have respect for Linus ever since he made the epic response to a substandard programmer.

Linux turns into GNU/Systemd with additional module systemd-kerneld and at that point we are heading doomsday

>pajeets
>shitter

This used to be relevant and it's easy to defend this position, but I wonder if Linus would agree with that after C++11 came out.

Doesn't he use C++ and Qt in his diving program?

The linux source code

He does. He probably uses Qt because it's easier to make a GUI in Qt than fucking around with Gtk (previous GUI toolkit).

He was talking about Git which doesn't have a GUI on its own, so no need to use it.

>This used to be relevant and it's easy to defend this position
Only if you assume that people program C++ like it was in the pre C++03 era. It's clear that Linus' views on C++ is quite dated, as most of his assertions don't hold true.

>as most of his assertions don't hold true.
His assertion is that C++ programmers are retards and that C++ should die.
This didn't change with C++11

>His assertion is that C++ programmers are retards and that C++ should die.
Based on lack of knowledge about how C++ works and false assumptions about idiomatic C++. For example, his claims about STL and Boost not being portable and only portable if you write it "as C" anyway. This assumption is clearly based on a false belief of C++ being like it was before the 03 specification. He also seems to be entirely unaware of zero cost abstractions altogether.

But the crux of his argument is actually that C is the right choice for git because it was the right choice to make an operating system in, something that is just nonsensical as git is not an operating system at all.

>This didn't change with C++11
I clearly already stated in my post that it changed with C++03.

>I clearly already stated in my post that it changed with C++03.
And you are a fucking retard, why should I listen to you?
He is not making an argument. Linux is making a shitpost, which you take too seriously.
His "argument" is basically: C++ programmers are fucking retards and should get the fuck out.
Which is true.

Maybe boost is stable nowadays, but that doesn't change it being a complete fucking piece of shit.
I have to work with it, and its design is pure culminated retardation.
C++, especially with the whole culture surrounding it, is such a horrible pile of shit, that it is NEVER the right tool for the job.
Linux argues that he will even use something that is potentially worse for the job, just to tell C++ homos to get the fuck out.

Nobody cares about zero cost abstractions, because while they may be computationally zero cost, they lead to dumb design decisions that will ultimately make your program slower, and often lead to worse maintainability.
See this: youtube.com/watch?v=rX0ItVEVjHc

This is all STILL true after C++11 or 14 or 27, because adding more shit to this heap of dirt that is C++ will NOT make it better. ever.
The only right way to program C++ nowadays, is to not use most of the C++ features.

Three things could happen
1) Someone else takes over and things go as usual
2)It goes to shit and gets forked
3)It goes to shit and the year of the BSD desktop comes

I wouldn't downplay the finnish tendency for cardiovascular diseases. Also, Linus has been packing on weight like a motherfucker in last couple years. He's not at Stallman numbers yet, but he sure as shit is a fat fuck.

hopefully it will die too

ISIS takes over development

It's not obvious that they are trying the old "embrace, extend and extinguish"?

>And you are a fucking retard, why should I listen to you?
Because I'm right and you're wrong.

It's like asking what will happen to Windows if Bill Gates dies. Nothing.

Except Gates does nothing nowadays (not that he did something back then), while Linus is actively maintaining the kernel, coding shit himself and stopping retards from running everything.

>data oriented design > abstractions
This user speaks truth.

>C++ is horrible
>Why?
>i-i-it just i-is, o-okay?!!!! Stop saying against me!!

Right.

>data oriented design is only possible in C

Don't pay attention to the haters. We need people like you in FOSS. To many newfag programmers have the hots for the utter crap that is c++.

Let us never forget what other legends also said about c++:

c++ is a pile of crap. – Theo de Raadt

C++ is a language strongly optimized for liars and people who go by guesswork and ignorance. – Erik Naggum

C++ is the best example of second-system effect since OS/360. – Henry Spencer

>Theo de Raadt
Kek, the guy who's complaining that Torvalds isn't autistic enough?