/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Ask your stupid questions here. Take the time to find the answer yourself first by using a Sup Forums approved search engine:
startpage.com/
searx.me/

Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/DX84RG
autotheme.wordpress.com/
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
youtube.com/watch?v=MHQoLAmLjRs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Where do you download torrents these days. I just built a computer and a handful of softwares I use have turned to a subscription model and no longer sell perpetual use licenses.

TPB is a joke, KAT is dead, ISO hunt has turned it a TPB mirror. I'm old and helpless, will one of you kindly guide this old man across the street and to where I need to go?

this has been happening to me for months, but whenever i search using the searchbar plugin for startpage, in Firefox, it has like a 50% chance of only showing me startpage.com instead of my search results. What gives? Been having this issue in Nightly (never tried another browser) since before "Firefox Quantum" dropped, but I'm using FF quantum right now and still same issue. Someone in the sqt at the time even said they experienced the same thing n switched to ddg because of it.

So mind you I don't necessarily trust the ddg developer or whomever, and it seemingly has no searchbar plugin to disable safe search. Like 40% of the horizontal space on searx image results is occupied by basically a lmgtfy link, even when you scroll lower than it. I want startpage to work but it basically eats half my searches, pls fix.

So I removed my 4tb drive and connected a 2tb drive in its slot. After reconnecting the 4tb drive half of the files were gone. Wtf?
When I run chkdsk it gets stuck on 10%.
What could have happened to my drive? Could the system have deleted everything past the 2tb mark? Why?

Will this suffer from iMac-tier overheating?
pcpartpicker.com/list/DX84RG

I use TPB. Why is it a joke? The alternative are private trackers.

What software are you looking for exactly anyway?

Should I get a PCI SSD or an external one?

adobe creative programs.

That's what I feared. TPB just seems to be a place where they hand you a trojan at the door, before you even get one from the torrent. Perhaps I'm wrong. It seems like it's lost the community it once had.

Is there Ubuntu-compatible software that will combine archives together in a GUI? I try using the terminal, but the "cd" command doesn't like to work with my hard drive for some reason.

Last thread nobody could help. i can't get this theming engine to work: autotheme.wordpress.com/
Some user said he installed the task manager on the left of pic related with it.
i have no idea what is wrong, i've only started using linux this year.

What do you not understand? Its very through and simple on what you need to do

also, I'll just use tpb.

What is the difference between RAs sent from my router and those sent from my ISPs router?

i.e How EXACTLY does an ISP propagate an IPv6 address to the customer's router? Give me a quick rundown, or some documentation.

rarbg

If I only have one fan for my pc should it be intake or exhaust?

I get some error when it installs. user-session-daemon? the fuck?

Are you using a de/wm that properly setups a user session?
Sounds like you dont

how often should I replace thermal paste?

works on my machineā„¢

>usb mouse suddenly disconnects
>2-4 seconds go by before it connects back again
>started happening few days ago, it's seemingly random but keeps happening at similiar intervals every day, mouse cord is in perfect condition

sometimes my keyboard shuts down aswell and when they both go down, they never become usable on their own again, i have to reboot my pc via power button

any ideas how to fix this? i haven't changed my pc at all, no new devices or drivers

is it possible to pair an apple wireless keyboard with windows 7? machine does not have bluetooth but i do have a logitech unifying receiver.

why the hell won't explorer find files that have a dash before them, for example:

this-file.exe

if i search for the word "file", it won't show up

Need to develop your private tracker game

Is Privacy Badger in any way useful is I already have uMatrix?

I'm using thcrap to translate Touhou 16 into English, but it only displays squares. What am I missing? I'm running on Arch Linux using wine 3.0-rc1.

Had to get an RMA for a motherboard that fizzled out a couple of weeks after it arrived, and with the new one I've started seeing the mouse and keyboard both freeze and become unresponsive, with the last key press being held. Its not during anything particular, either.
It doesn't affect a PS/2 keyboard in the one PS/2 slot there is so it's a USB only issue.
I've attempted with different mice and no USB keyboard, to no avail
Had my mouse or keyboard or both plugged into the front USB ports, hasn't helped.
Even uninstalled reinstalled the USB drivers for the root hub and eXtensible host controller.

Anyone know where to go and what to do?

So I want to flash Lineage OS. But to do that, I need TRWP. But to install TRWP I need to root using Magisk. But to do that I need the TRWP custom recovery. Have I understood anything wrong? What do I need to do to flash Lineage OS, after unlocking my bootloader?

What was the Sup Forums approved way of getting free Wingblows?

pastebin.com/smjvLZN4

If you've already unlocked your bootloader, then you probably just need to boot to fastboot and flash the recovery over usb.

Yeah, it has some shit that matrix wouldn't cover, especially if you're using it relaxed enough to stay sane.

Cool. Like what though? 90% of sites have all third-party content blocked in umatrix (excluding alternative first-part domains - like amazon.com content on amazon.co.uk) and for the rest I've unblocked it for functionality, so how could this possibly be improved?

Thanks.

When visiting large threads on Sup Forums with a lot of posts my Sup Forums X starts slowing down. For example there's a noticeable delay when hovering over YouTube links. Is there any way I can fix this lag or is it just an inherit problem?

I see an animation, check media and see this. How does this work? I heard something about apng being better than gif and made through some JS trickery.

Why the fuck doesn't C++ allow implementation of member functions of class templates outside of headers?

Any one?

what is the name of that chan that has an anime radio?

Looking to avoid stacking a bunch of externals at my home computer by building a NAS. Would a prebuilt PC with openmediavault suffice for torrenting and streaming locally? I have a raspberry pi 3 set up doing the torrenting, but I'm looking to move towards a hard drive rack.

There's other types of locally stored content that domains can share besides just cookies, like images, scripts or stored advertisement content. Most of that shit would get blocked by hardlining a 1st party only policy, since advertisers prefer using 3rd party domains. But I don't think there's anything to stop any whitelisted domain from reading something laid down by another domain in uM if it's not a cookie. Also PB handles referrers more like https everywhere handles https, with a predefined list, so it's way less of a pain in the ass to use then the feature in uM. And it specifically attempts to block canvassing scripts, which is something a whitelisted domain might attempt.

Basically uMatrix is a firewall where you try to make well informed but kinda broad decisions about who you trust to send you different groups of content, which is great for cutting down the amount of shit you're exposed to. But privacy badger learns and targets shady behavior more like a heuristic antivirus, so it's a great second line of defense. Also be sure and use uBlock so you can filter content within host domains.

I'm on Windows version 1607 with telemetry disabled. Any reason to update?

lainchan

save yourself from the bitcoin miners and spyware. just use gnu/linux. Xubuntu is literally your best bet if you are a noob.

Literally the best "addon" is going to your about:config and disabling javascript.enabled

How did Sup Forums get to this absolute state?

Neat. So u-block, canvas blocker (set to randomise readout), umatrix, and privacy badger should provide pretty decent privacy. (Also planning to use that one giant user.js file.)

What about noscript? I never bothered with it, but am I wrong again to assume it would be redundant too?

I wouldn't be here if I did that. Not that this would be a bad thing from your point of view, but it would be from mine.

>telemetry disabled
If only. In general there's no reason to update to a new version of 10 until they quit offering new updates for it, usually around 18 months in. Of course they tend to push that back because people are slow to get on board.

not that one but thanks, it's awesome

Buy a pass or just lurk

Sup Forumsniggers.

Best book for starting to get into coding?

How do we de/pol/erise Sup Forums?

You can't. Just let it crash and burn.

It's called programming.
First, install notepad++ if you are on windows, on gnu/linux, use nano.

Second, look up buckyroberts on youtube.

Third, practice makes perfect.

This is for you. quoted wrong

You do realise that Sup Forums is primarily anti-anime, right?

That's great. Thank you. I'm adding that to my bookmarks.

Also decentraleyes. Be sure and get its ruleset to paste into your uMatrix rules. Canvas blocker is arguably a step backwards, especially when used that way. Fingerprinting is a surprisingly complex subject, and when your goal is to look NOT unique, it's easy to do more harm than good and end up standing out like a dude from Scanner Darkly. It's almost a toss up between using the tor uplift shit from that js file or just saying fuck it and blending in with all the other people with unique but uninteresting fingerprints.

Another quick question - I've just installed it and it seems to be picking up on sites explicitly blocked by umatrix (like google analytics). Does that mean that it'll correctly start identifying trackers even if they're normally blocked by my other addons? If so, that's really neat.

It used to be that the order in which you installed the pluggins had some impact on how they filtered the content. I have no idea how webextenstions handle it, although given the way they're more sandboxed I wouldn't be surprised if the content requests in the initial page were passed by all the addons and they each got a chance to veto them before making the outbound request.

>webextenstions
No

skytorrents

So, you know you can extract an ISO file and then edit its files and stuff. But how do I turn it back into an ISO? What software do you guys recommend?

>Have a list of 100 numbers (say from 1 to 100)
>Need to create a list for each one of them, containing the result of the number multiplied by 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.
>What do?

Basically I need:
etc.

etc.

etc.

etc.

Except the numbers are long decimals.

How do I do this automatically?
I have Excel if this helps.
Pic unrelated.

You're using webextensions anyway. Most of those addons don't even have hybrid versions anymore. Whether or not you're still using a ff with legacy capabilities, devs aren't going to be coding for dual functionalities, unless you want to keep using outdated addons forever. The exception is noscript, which is supposed to have two maintained versions until the next ESR hits, mostly to support tor users. If you're using uMatrix, the only reason to use noscript is for its side functionality. Most of that hasn't made it to the new version yet, although it does give you XSS blocking if you're willing to put up with the occasional popup.

probably use python or some other fast-and-easy coding language

Is there something for us brainlets who don't code?

Love it. Thank you. I thought I'd be exempt from being out of it when i got old yet here I am. I appreciate your help.

Redpill me on nextcloud vs. syncthing

Primary usecase: synchronising all my shitposting images between phone, laptops, and desktop.

Well I'm not familiar with excel at all but it's probably pretty easy to make a table that does this in there too

anime website Sup Forums used to be Sup Forumsuro so it's actually just moving closer towards its original roots

I want to make a dual boot with win7/win7
I wanna use one partition for personal stuff and never go on internet and one for online gaming.
what i have to do in order to avoid the internet partition to access completely the other one?

Am brainlet.
How do I know which parts are good?

I'm a newfag in the grand scheme of things, can you give me a quick rundown?

I'm not sure if there's a way to do it out of the box on windows. On Linux, you could simply never mount it.

Full-disk encryption should solve it, though, since if you boot into the non-encrypted partition the offline partition will not get decrypted and even if windows tries to read it or write to it, it won't be able to do anything meaningful (although it might complain that you have no free space on it or something, idk).

AMD Ryzen.

Is it Rye-zen or Reezen?

I presume Epyc is read as epic.

unironically what is a good streaming site for anime?

three new tab redirect ads just to start the video, and an ad every time you use the seekbar is already hell, but buffering is unacceptable, so here i am

crunchroll.

>streaming anime
install deluge or qbittorrent get torrents from nyaa.si or (for currently airing anime) horriblesubs.info

and install a fucking adblocker while you're ad it retard

Thanks m8

I don't want to wait to buy a i5 8400 for my build, but I really want it. What do?

Done.
Used this:
youtube.com/watch?v=MHQoLAmLjRs

Thank you.

Isn't the ram voltage a bit high?

oi, thank you- was in the middle of replying to myself giving context that this is on a tablet where Brave browser for the adblock makes the seekbar break on some vids, and makes other videos claim to not exist..

My W510 has an anemic 1st gen 4-core processor that can't even reliably play videos in my browser. The screen isn't even 1080, so all my old torrents aren't usable to me right now. This is basically my own hell I created for myself since I thought this would absolutely be a better replacement for my old W500 I fried, so I could snipe a 1080p screen later, but as it is this isn't even worth saving. Leave me to my misery pls, I'm pretty sure if you just search "W500 W510" on the archives you'll see /tpg/ giving me the bad news months ago that this processor is literally worse than the W500's lowest-end processor, despite my thinking it was better being the only reason I went for this W510.

Are there any gold standard must read books on internet security, cybersecurity, the future of cybersecurity and criptography etc? No random shit from some "we are anonymong" neckbeards, anything pioneering in the industry? Anything you've read that changed your perspective, introduced politics and ideology, etc?

I imagine streaming video in real time and through a browser would be MORE resource-intensive than using a dedicated offline video player with an already-fully-downloaded file, not less.

>falling for the thinkpad meme

Install qbittorrent, and its search plugin.
Add and update all the sites to the plugin.
Search your torrent.
Wa la!

ah-bloo-bloo

How can one sort images on File Explorer by file size?

e-pike

What do I use to open a "lix.in" link? It's not on tor, is it? I thought those were .onion.

>try webms for retards
>"leave this area blank to stay under 3mb"
>leave blank, make webm
>result is 5mb
Apparently this is webms for savants.
Is there a program for super retards?

OOH OOH AH AH!

I thought leave blank for no limit? There should be a box for you to input a size limit

I remember an user shilling a version of windows supposedly having all the telemetry turned off, but I dont remember the name of it. Anyone remembers? I think.it was something like windows amae or some shit like that.

I tried to use this method to turn folders into ISO files. It worked with a really small folder, but it didn't work with a 4GB folder. Why?

Also
>try to resize it
>no matter how many times I resize it forces me back to 720
>keep getting a message telling me to lower the resolution
>but it keeps raising it to 720
I just don't understand. What does the resize button do? Which button will allow me to change the resolution?

If I'm on Windows 8.1 is there any reason not to switch to Windows 10 at this point, in regards to security?