/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

I noticed that the last thread ended without a new one getting made.

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux thread
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: →

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#Verifying_correct_sound_modules_are_loaded
opera.com/docs/linux/plugins/install/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That guy in the other thread really made me want to get friends and fix my life... but I don't know how as a fucking depressed NEET.

On topic, I'm trying to solve this awful screen tearing on NVidia. I have followed all of the suggestions about changing the pipeline in the settings and it still tears all the time.

>sudo

"soo-doo" or "soo-doh"?

"soo-doh", sys admins don't wanna take the time to say "soo-doo"

Soo-doh

i want to fug maki

Is there a way to set up hibernation sessions/states on arch so that I can resume my identical state after a complete shutdown?
Also does anybody know if you can use qemu to install a guest OS on a real primary partition?

IIRC append resume=/path/to/swap/partition to your kernel command line in /etc/default/grub and regenerate grub.cfg.

Thanks pal.

doas.

>not encrypting swap
What the fuck, user.

Bad first post.

No bully

I just had a question about NVidia. I was wondering if anyone had solved it permanently.

PureOS is an amazing distro. I recommend others to try it. First time Linux user here, 3rd day on it and I'm loving it so much more than Windows 10.

I'm looking for a distro that will run without problems has a guest on virtual box, bonus if it is a lightweight one, anyone can recommend one?

Debian (net iso)

Can I encrypt it on suspend and then decrypt it when it's coming out of hibernation? How much of an effect will that have on my boot times?

Thanks will check out

From the website it appears it's just Debian with GNOME 3 and some stuff pre-installed

Not saying you're wrong, just saying it's literally Debian with like four more programs installed out of the box

So the font-rendering on my Wine looks very ugly. I already installed corefonts through winetricks, but it still looks bad.

Which package should I install to get it to look nicer?

The problem is not there anymore when in-game, only on the dialog windows outside.

It's short for "superuser do" so it's soo-doh.

IDK anything about Debian, but if it's the case then by extension Debian is a good distro

It is

Fuck you guys. Unite and make something like Windows or piss off and enjoy your 2.56% usage share. The real world doesn't want command lines, they want usability. Literally fuck you and your closed culture OS.

>powershell for anyone above brainlet

>The real world doesn't want command lines
plebs

I had this same problem. Unfortunately I can't tell you how to fix it because I just nuked everything wine related and reinstalled.

If you have Alpha Centauri, how do the fonts look in game?

Ok.

I do actually. It looks fine, although it could be better

You underachieving fucks are the cancer. You don't even know it. Linux could dominate Windows but the developer base will always be too divided about what's ideal and what isn't.

Ok, have a nice day sir, off you go

How long were you waiting for my reply, Mr. Bugman?

>vm with gpu passthrough
>using the integrated sound on the video card card
>hdmi to monitor carried sound
>monitor has line-in, line-out 3.5mm audio jacks
>plug double sided 3.5mm audio plug into line-out on monitor like i would my headphones
>plug other end of audio plug into motherboard line-in jack which was not passed through
>linux detects that i pluged it in but there's no sound
im pretty sure the issue lies in linux because i was just using this 3.5mm cord today. any troubleshooting ideas?

It's Mr. Bee for you

this is the correct answer

>Linux could dominate Windows but the developer base will always be too divided about what's ideal and what isn't.
Thats the beauty of linux, if someone does something a way you dont like(systemd) you are free to not use that product and use something else that you agree with(openrc).Someone creates a program that is rather unneeded(pulseaudio) and just pollutes the system with nonsense, you're welcome to not use it and use something else that you do like (alsa,jack).If you dont trust a developer because they have a history of shotty work and questionable mertis(Potterring) you're welcome to complely ignore every piece of software they have ever created.

Now with windows, you cant even theme your entire system by default without having to hack the kernel and system with third party utilities just to THEME the fucking thing

Check what ALSA or PulseAudio (whichever you have) are treating it as

Sometimes I've had my computer think my headphones are microphones and thought they were double input/output devices. I fixed it by just telling it that they were analog output only, and patted it for being silly

>Thats the beauty of linux
Can you see how that would also be the downfall of Linux?

Being Windows-like is the problem, though. And yes, I'm referring to more than just botnet stuff. Once you realize that 99% of Windows is bad for the user, you'll understand why things have to be the way they are.

And I wouldn't worry: GNU/Linux is maybe a decade away from catching up and passing Windows, simply because Microsoft is now run by idiots and haven't made a positive leap forward in about a decade. The gap between GNU/Linux and Windows was astronomical in 2007; desktop GNU/Linux is a viable alternative in 2017 to the moderately tech-savvy.

Why do you people get baited so easily

How is CHOICE a downfall?

There are distros that set everything up for you and you can follow the way they do it and change nothing but your user and sudo password and you have a working system, unmanaged by the user, similar to windows

Too many options can become too problematic for a normie to understand

Yes you can, but in general. not just suspend.
Resume handled by initrd.
Boot time unaffected, except to type passphrase.

Read

what am i supposed to do exactly
ie what do i put in the terminal, what file do i change

First check what you're using. Are you using ALSA or are you using PulseAudio

Sounds awesome. If I set up encryption normally and set up hibernation normally will it just werk?

YMMV, actual setup depends on distro, so ensure you read the related documentation of your distro.
I do this in arch and gentoo no problem. Both have it documented within the docs of their initramfs-creating tools.

Oooh hey I figured it out. It was very easy after all
winetricks settings fontsmooth=rgb

alsa.
am i on the right track? it doesnt let me interact with the line at all

Well I was specifically looking to find out about Arch. I was just having a cursory through the wiki trying to find information about hibernation since I plan to set it up on my new build, thought I'd just ask about it on here to kill time and get some more info since I'm not at home. Thanks for the suggestions.

Yeah, arch makes it trivial. Do read the wiki, but I can tell you from the top of my head there's a module you need to add to the initrd config for the root/swap encryption, and a parameter to pass to tell it where to find the plaintext swap after encryption is set up so that it can resume.

Did you check the archwiki?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Advanced_Linux_Sound_Architecture#Verifying_correct_sound_modules_are_loaded

It's probably a lot simpler than this but it couldn't hurt to give it a read. I use pavucontrol to just tell my devices what to do. I assume there's a very simple equivalent in alsamixer

Q: How to make wine+foobar2k actually display kanji in the playlist.

Install moonrune fonts through winetricks or manually, I'd assume. I don't know though because I'm not a weeb, sorry

pgup/pgdown.

Even if I install all asian fonts available in arch's ABS, it still displays squares.
There should be some magic incantation to make it actually use the fonts.

>wine+foobar2k

Best Linux music player hands off.
Except the kanji problem.

When I plug in my external hard drive I don't see it in the file manager, what do

unironically believing this when deadbeef exists

Deadbeef isn't up to scratch yet. I keep tracking it but no. I've tried it recently, even.

is there a file path to my xorg wallpaper? Want to automate some stuff but want to use GUIs to set the wallpaper instead of feh.

you are still posting this without a trace of irony

>thunar has built in batch renaming

is this unusual for file managers? It's not as good as a full blown bulk renaming program but it definitely gets the job done. to orgainise and renaming tens of thousands of files was cancer on windows.

I think dolphin and caja have basic batch renaming tools.

Is there any good Firefox fork in the gentoo repos? Can't find waterfox or pale moon.

>pacaur is no longer being maintained
Oh shit. What do?

I LOVE THIS THREAD

Install Debian

>pacaur is no longer being maintained
Seriously? O_O
I do not like any of the other aur frontends.

Trying to use compton, when ever i run compton the screen gets fuzzy and when i move a window it copys its self every pixel it is moved, similar to how when you win a solitaire game the cards bounce around.
I've tried various configs and they all result in the same issue.
What am i doing wrong?

Its pretty much feature complete, if Arch devs change shit its easy to just replace the paths.
No biggie

I'm trying the Opera browser out and i need flash to open a site. so I followed the instrucitons from opera.com/docs/linux/plugins/install/
Downloaded the .tar file and extracted the libflashplayer.so to
/usr/lib/opera/plugins $HOME/.local/lib/opera/plugins
and
/usr/lib/adobe-flashplugin/
I restarted Opera each time but none of them worked.

use trizen

I have an external HDD with nothing on it that's currently using NTFS, how do I make it work on GNU/Linux?

Dont play any games but my old nvidia card is past is deathbed and i need to upgrade(90c IDLE). Never used amd before, is the rx 560 4gb a good upgrade for video playing(4k,hvec x265?) or is there a better option?

Is spotify bloat?

(I know it's bad, but is it bloat?)

yes

anyone here have any thoughts on the Xen Cloud Platform?

I know I have to use Gparted for this but I can't find it in Gparted or in fdisk, even though it's visible in the file manager (Dolphin), wtf?

Why? It only has 3 dependencies

lmao this is the Captcha I got

>have an external HDD with nothing on it that's currently using NTFS, how do I make it work on GNU/Linux?
it should already work.
if not then just identify the drive in linux and do
mkfs.ext2 [target]

actually, let me clarify this some more.
it should work
it should work with ntfs
if you want to change the filing system on it to a more linux-type fs, then identify the drive PARTITION you wish to alter. this will be something such as /dev/sda0 or /dev/sda1 do NOT run this with /dev/sda as the target

Use gparted to reformat it as ext4 or your favourite fs.
It will also change the partition type to the adequate one for you, assuring Windows ignores it.

How can I achieve novafap?

Suu-dough

>I can't find it in Gparted or in fdisk, even though it's visible in the file manager (Dolphin), wtf?
try unmounting it

syoo-duh

That's the thing, I was trying to identify it but it's not there

How do I do that if I don't know its name?

use df to identify the device by looking at drive capacities

also use 'mount' as well with no arguments to cross reference devices so you can locate the exact one

lsblk, from util-linux.

Alright I'll try these tomorrow but is there a chance that it would show up in those if it doesn't show up in fdisk -l?

absolutely