WHY DO freetards want everything to be free and not work for anything?

WHY DO freetards want everything to be free and not work for anything?

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.en.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it's their fundamental belief that computers should be difficult to use

muh sekrit club mentality

Imagine if you had to pay for books

There is literally nothing wrong with buying books.

t. Brainlet

Can you show me where it says open source developers can't charge for their work?

Think of it. If you work 10 hours to buy your OS, 200 more hours to buy and IDE, 300 more hours to buy various licenses for tools, you wasted so much time not doing what you need to. With free software you can be productive from day one.

One person buys, shares source code and application online

There goes your wages

Yet red hat manages to get along just fine. Fuck off, shitposter

free ≠ gratis

This kills the freetard.

Red Hats money comes from support contracts. Not from the product itself. You can just download CentOS or grab RHEL off a torrent site.

Terrible defence freetard.

t. poor nigger

I bet you don't even use apple products

they just want to see the sources so they can modify it and check what it does.

Okay. So show me where it says FOSS developers can't change for their software?

why do frogposters make the stupidest, most pointless bait threads?

LOL doesnt happen

hes right though

Wait I thought we were for the repeal of NN.

your broken business model is not really my concern.
Why do proprietary fags want to write code once and sell copies of it (that cost nothing to make)?

I never said they couldn’t charge. I said it would be pointless to charge because one person only need purchase it, then they can share it with the world.

But they can charge, and they can still charge for support

Square up, bitch nigga.

Why do freetards always want something for nothing?

They can but it’s not sustainable.

Let’s say a AAA game is released as open source but they need to cover costs. They know that once they release the first copy, everyone will just download it for free after that.

Enjoy your $20m piece of software.

No idea what you're talking about. I pay for my free (as in freedom) software and so does the company I work for.

Is this Sup Forums? What has this board amounted to?

A sense of community outweighs the desire to make money
>everyone will download for free
But that doesn't happen for games that are already out that can be torrented. What the fuck are you even arguing

And yet...

They exist as they provide support, features, and bugfixes.

Information is post scarcity and requires a more transparent work ethic.

Freedom isn't free.

>Let’s say a AAA game is released as open source but they need to cover costs.
Oh so literally like every single fucking game made by id software when Carmack was still in charge.

Actually it's very good defence since

- Companies (hw and sw) make most of their money from pro users and businesses

This means that if you're a teen nigger you'll download the programs for free and do your stupid worthless shit with them
If you're a programmer you can contribute or make your own shitty fork

If you're a pro user or a business you'll want to buy 24/7 support from the producers and since it's a monthly it'll pay off much more than bulk-selling software

>but not all programs are made for business and pro users in mind

Then they are shit coded kiddie tools or apps which are fucking easy to create and making them FOSS would only make them worth something since you can turn them into something of value

Freetards: want everything to be free
Proprietaryfags: want to make recurrent payments on the same software

We kinda need one to balance the other else we get locked into paying monthly just to use our computers.

>If you're a pro user or a business you'll want to buy 24/7 support from the producers and since it's a monthly it'll pay off much more than bulk-selling software
>>but not all programs are made for business and pro users in mind
>Then they are shit coded kiddie tools or apps which are fucking easy to create and making them FOSS would only make them worth something since you can turn them into something of value
Pretty much. And then again there are moderately successful small free software tools where the author asks for money to download the ready to use/ready to install compiled binary. Which brings a shitton of money since windturds can't compile their shit.
So it's literally paying for your own stupidity.

t. braindead

Game development costs weren’t as high as they are now you retarded freecuck.

Some games have budgets as big as movies.
Kys idiot.

>We kinda need one to balance the other else we get locked into paying monthly just to use our computers.
SaaS is actually the proper solution to the problem. You can make all the tools and backends free as in freedom software with all the benefits (moral and practical) of it and charge for the software actually being used instead of someone just hoarding data for no reason. For a business SaaS is a massive win.

Jesus how fucking braindead you have to be to think this was somehow a proper argument? id didn't lose money on making their games under GPL. game assets were still their property they were legally (in accordance with GPL) allowed to charge for.

>Some games have budgets as big as movies.
Because game grew into an industry catering to basement dwelling manchildren and their budgets are blown out of proportion by marketing.

Imagine being so retarded you think free software means gratis and people use it to be lazy.

>Because game grew into an industry catering to basement dwelling manchildren and their budgets are blown out of proportion by marketing.
jesus how fucking braindead you have to be to think this was somehow a proper argument?

The source always came after like 5 years after the original release, when they already had got enough profit. Also

because they're dirty commies who missed out on bitcoin

The example with AAA games it so fucking retarded

>you are a game company
>you have money
>you have reliable, fast af servers
>release the game for free but if you want access to our beautiful up to date optimized servers pay some bucks a moth
but then
>a retarded nigger forks your game
>adds untested features and fills everything with bugs
>at most installs the server software on his thinkpad T60 (and which works only with HIS badly mantained fork)
>nobody wants to play his shitty fork
>nobody wants to have 999ms ping and bugs
>they go back and suck the game company's cock

>freetards are happy
>companies are happy

>but muh game is single player only
Then it can be proprietary but has to recieve NO updates and connect to the internet in no fucking way like in the good old shitty days

>it's yet another Sup Forumsedditor manchildren episode

forgot

>it’s another freetards getting btfo episode

>redhat isn't sustainable
laughing my fucking ass off over here
sustainable enough to subvert the entirety of the linux community for their own good

So called ‘intellectual property’ laws are government granted monopolies, that while purportedly intended to encourage creativity have exactly the opposite effect.
Many examples and studies have shown the harmful effects of copyright and patents, but the reasons for this effects would be much more clear if one realizes that copyrights and patents are dramatic and arbitrary restrictions of both freedom of expression and free trade.
As with any other government regulations, it is not surprising that big corporations (eg., Microsoft and Monsanto) use them to stifle competition; while others (eg., the Church of Scientology) use them to censor information that could embarrass them.

Aside from all the abuses and unintended consequences, copyright and patents are a great obstacle to creativity and innovation: the creations of all great thinkers, inventors and artists in history would never have been possible in a vacuum and always depend on a context consisting of all the preexisting works and ideas.

>sustainable enough to subvert the entirety of the linux community for their own good
and run the whole fucking US government

i'm p sure redhat doesn't run the whole US government but if u can provide facts to back that up I will consider them

>charging for software = charging for support

Retarded freecuck

thats only possible if you can sell something else like support. no one pays for the program itself but for support for it.

WTF is this Sup Forums circlejerk?
saged.

>announcing sage
Bye bye freetard

yo! It's "free" as in "FREEdom", not "FREE pizza"

It doesn't have to be free, just open source. You can charge for services/support if you want.
Unreal engine 4 is open source but not fully libre. It is only gratis if you make less than 3k every 3 months (per product). Unity engine is also proprietary (close source), but you can pay extra to access it's source code. Quake engines became open source after a new one is made, but all game assets (skins, models, music, voices, story) remained proprietary. All 3 software models are fine imho.
Also, I don't mind forms of entertainment being proprietary (music, videos/movies, vidya, books), in fact they should be monetized as long as they're profitable.
Any tools or utility software should be open source. You shouldn't use a proprietary browser, torrent client, media player, etc.
As for free as in beer (gratis), donations > obligatory payments and DRM. Fuck DRM.

This. There is absolutely no harm in giving the source code of a game as long as visual/music/story materials are proprietary. Example Quake 3 Arena and Open Arena.

the meaning of free is different for freetards and normies

>I said it would be pointless to charge because one person only need purchase it
Wrong. If it's open source just grab the source, you don't even have to pay.

>There is absolutely no harm in giving the source code of a game

Hahahahahah what is hacking/cheating?
Haha freetards this delusional.

>Fallout as it is
>you pay $30 for broken game with shitty dlc
>some things can be fixed with unofficial patch but most problems like ai are fucked for good because you need source code to fix it
>next instalment despite being reskin of old game with new textures is even more broken piece of shit
>Fallout as free software
>you pay $30 for broken game with shitty dlc then download community patch of your choice that fix everything because people have access to source code
>next instalment use community fixes so this time the game isn't completely broken
So user which one profit you as a consumer the most?

>b-but you can charge for the source
Said the freetard.

Sure, because if you modify a game and play on the official servers you absolutely won't get flagged as using a shitty fork

Fucking retard brainlet logic

>Oh so literally like every single fucking game made by id software when Carmack was still in charge.
Are you seriousy comparing a multibillions dollars market (2017) with a somewhat underground one (90s)?
AAA games CAN'T be done in a cave anymore, absolutly everything is different from then.

>getting flagged
>anti-cheats and DRM
>denying equality of access

Goes against freetard ideology.
Nice try though.

This is what is wrong with the english language (among other things).

Hit to closes huh?

It's mostly throught threats.
They beg for donations so they can go full time working on it otherwise they can't promise anything.

Nice English now get off your phone.
Or maybe you are just that dumb.

You can access official servers if you pay your fucking subscription
If you fork your shitty client then you'll have to fork your shitty server, this means you can play only in servers compatible with your client

Also you do know that there are anti-cheat software that runs on servers and not clients (e.g. Battlefield 1), right?
Oh, sorry, you're just a retard

>get called out
>hurr it's not a freedart ideology so I win mm, ok?
GTFO kid, +18 only.

This, also if they wanted to get money back then they had to distribute free copies, make demos and shit like that to get popular. Business changed a lot.

Nice argument.
SAGED :^)

>no arguments
>ur engrish suckz!!!

>THE DRM IS OKAY AS LONG AS IT RUNS ON SOMEONE ELSES COMPUTER

freetards in a nutshell.

Also SaaS goes against Stalltard ideology, so you should be able to access those servers for free and view the source code.

gnu.org/philosophy/who-does-that-server-really-serve.en.html

Nice try.

Hey nigger, did you read the part where I say that you can fork the server?
Also I don't see any DRM since the anti-cheat software that runs on the server is FOSS too

If it costs money and does exactly what I want/allows me to see what it does and change it as needed, that's fine.

Something that's free as in freedom but costs money is perfectly fine under freetard discipline. What's not fine is something that datamines me/does shit I don't want it to do and charges me for the privilege.

>hurr you can't differ with (((RMS))) in order to have an argument with me durr
God you can't be more retarded than this.
Sup Forums was a fucking mistake.

>FOSS anti-cheat

Oh so all the easier to bypass!
Thanks freetards!

>YOU SHOULD HAVE SOFTWARE FREEDOM
>N-NO NOT THAT KIND OF FREEDOM

Freetards were a mistake

Give me an actual example on how a FOSS anti-cheat could be bypassed

protip, you can't
protip, think before posting

>understand exactly how the anti-cheat works because you can see the source
>find vulnerabilities in code
>create application to exploit these

So exactly how making cheats works for proprietary games, except the turnaround is much faster :)

>understand exactly how the anti-cheat works because you can see the source
Good luck with reading millions of lines of code
>find vulnerabilities in code
Wow thanks now we know the bugs in our anti-cheat and we're gonna fix them, thanks user :)
>create application to exploit these
If you're not using the official client but your shitty fork+injector then you can't play on official servers but only in the one other smartass hackers like you are allowed

You're still a retard, stop trying

>then you can’t play on official servers

And how are you going to enforce that without spyware or DRM?

Hacking and cheating is always possible. It's also only relevant in multiplayer games and it's only a problem in competitive games. It's also a problem that would be fixed a lot easier under open source because most people who care about source codes aren't black hats.

You can't change the code on the official servers
This means that if you modify your client it won't communicate exactly how it should so it gets blacklisted
If you inject things since all the interactions (RoF, damage, speed etc.) are controlled by the server you get blacklisted

Any other questions you idiot?

>modify your client it won't communicate exactly
This can be obsfuscated as it is right now with proprietary games.

>This means that if you modify your client it won't communicate exactly how it should so it gets blacklisted
So access controls aka DRM.

>If you inject things since all the interactions (RoF, damage, speed etc.) are controlled by the server you get blacklisted
Again, can be obsfuscated as it is now.

You are losing so bad it’s not even funny.
At the same time, get off Sup Forums, this is a proprietary imageboard.

Ever played World of Tanks?
Almost every fucking thing is controlled by the server and guess what? There are almost no cheaters and the ones that there are only have superficial advantages like knowing if you're being aimed at

>>This means that if you modify your client it won't communicate exactly how it should so it gets blacklisted
>So access controls aka DRM.

>the server says that you have to communicate in a certain way
>somehow it's DRM
keep trying idiot

WHY ARE YOU PLAYING WORLD OF TANKS?
that’s not open source hypocrite.

>everything is controlled by the server
So software as a service, because I can’t control what the server does.

Against freedom.

Yawwwwwnnn

You can know everything the server does since it's FOSS
Are you able to fucking read?
You want to change the code? Make a fucking fork
You can't go on Visual Studio Code's fucking github and modify the code for eberybody in the fucking world

Are you really THIS stupid?

Know != control

I can not manipulate what the server does to fit my use case.

SaaS.
Try again.

You can fork the server and install it and modify it on your machine and ask all your friends to play on your better version of the game hosted in your closet

Why are you STILL trying?

But I want to play with everyone else. Why am I being prevented by arbitrary restrictions?
The server is not being my friend, I am not in control of it.
There are access controls in place and pseudo-DRM preventing me from doing so.

This server software is the enemy of freedom.

ok so now it's "psudo-DRM"
ok so now you want to play with everyone else but you don't want to be equal to anyone else
ok so now you want to modify code running on hardware that isn't yours and somehow compile it on the go while everybody is playing
ok so now everyone can change the rules for everybody constantly

Nice try it's clear that you have no arguments and are just spewing bullshit which doesn't make sense

>ok so now everyone can change the rules for everybody constantly

Thanks for summing up open-sores in a nutshell.

You said it better than I ever could.

You don't understand the fact that if you fork something you are changing thinks for yourself and yourself only?
Next time go on a FOSS github project and try to modify everything and ruin the program for everybody
Oh noes, you can't since it's not your code and you can only open tickets and report bugs
You want to change it? Fork it and shut the fuck up

Or instead of all this bullshit we carry on as we are, seeing as it works fine :)

It doesn't work fine sweethart :)
Also next time prepare better arguments since you have been so BTFO that you now rely on the stupid "if it ain't broke don't fix it" example with the exception that it doens't work since it's broke as fuck

Next time don’t fall for a troll so obvious that has made your ass look like pic related.

holy shit, not even a freetard, but you described me perfectly

>and not work for anything?
Free software doesn't write itself.

I had time to spare thank you
Also writing these thoughts out gave me the opportunity to refine them and make them more understandable if I need to talk with someone, but I gues y-you're the winner r-right?

Next time don't let go of the troll so easily because it only makes you seem like an unmotivated 9gagger