wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page
gentoo.org/downloads/

>Debian (NET ISO)
debian.org/CD/netinst/

>Void (Hipster but works)
repo.voidlinux.eu/live/current/

>Alpine (Pretty damn minimal)
alpinelinux.org/downloads/

Get recommendations to see if your system is bloat or not (Also post screenshot)

>DE/WM
>Video/Music player
>Image viewer
>File Manager
>Text Editor
>Shell
>Web Browser
>Terminal

What is software minimalism?
suckless.org/philosophy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

Beginners guide to GNU/Linux minimalism

1) Get comfortable with the terminal and learn terminal commands. Practice makes perfect.

computerhope.com/unix.htm
computerhope.com/unix/overview.htm
computerhope.com/unixtop1.htm

2) Try one of the listed GNU/Linux distros inside a VM (Virtual Machine) before installing it on real hardware

3) Ask questions in the thread.

If you use Arch, Manjaro, Ubuntu, Mint , Antergos, Solus, Fedora or any other of the thousands of BLOAT GNU/Linux meme distros. Don't bother posting in this thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/g/?task=search2&ghost=&search_text=&search_subject=/minimalism/&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_op=op&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post
debian.org/CD/netinst/
wiki.debian.org/ReduceDebian
svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/11/usr.bin/true/true.c?view=markup
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/tree/src/true.c
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/tree/src/false.c
wiki.voidlinux.eu/Runit
herbstluftwm.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_(user_interface)#Privacy_controversy
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)
aadrake.com/command-line-tools-can-be-235x-faster-than-your-hadoop-cluster.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Archived threads
warosu.org/g/?task=search2&ghost=&search_text=&search_subject=/minimalism/&search_username=&search_tripcode=&search_email=&search_filename=&search_datefrom=&search_dateto=&search_op=op&search_del=dontcare&search_int=dontcare&search_ord=new&search_capcode=all&search_res=post

Reposting WM ram comparison

Reposting Arch copypasta:

Arch has never been a minimalist distribution. Splitting packages is rare compared to other distributions, and dependencies aren't made optional whenever possible. Arch has *never* been minimalist... a Linux kernel with every module available and every feature enabled at least when there's no non-bloat related cost, feature-packed/complex GNU tools, nearly all optional features enabled across all the packages, etc.

>pacman is fast but not safe, it tends to break shit and config protection is implemented in a terrible way
>there is no official process to verify that a package is stable within the distro, in other distros a lot of packages are in a testing repo despite that specific package's developer claiming it to be stable on its own, because it might not be stable within the environment of a specific distro
>a lot of AUR packages pull from upstream, which means they could be very unstable
>(arch vs gentoo related) arch users complain about muh compile time when it comes to gentoo, while in fact they compile a lot of AUR packages themselves, namely the *-git packages that pull the source from a git repo
>but it gets even better: they only compile a handful of packages, and those not being libraries mostly, the self-compiled packages get linked against precompiled libraries from a different setup (e.g. different optimization levels), which can then cause even more instability because it's a clusterfuck of unequal shit
>arch uses (((systemd))) and switching to something else is hard
>apparently the vim package on arch pulls in X, so if you want to have a fancy terminal text editor on a headless server, you to install a shit ton of GUI stuff you'll never need nor use
>maintainer told the guy who complained to just symlink vi to vim (vi is inferior)

Reposting my rant from last thread:

The thing for me when it come to this is that I'm kinda disgusted by the amount of bloat in popular applications and environments.

Let's take the picture viewer as an example. What does it do? That's right! It views pictures! We have also seen picture viewers that can run with very tiny amounts of ram, and do their job pretty well. Why then should we be using a picture viewer that does the exact same practical thing as this minimal picture viewer, but is 10+ times heavier?

I've heard this a lot, the whole "lel just get a newer computer grandpa!"
I'd like to let you know that I use minimal setups both on a 2012 Fagbook Pro, and a Xeon workstation being used as a desktop. Both of these have 16+ GB of memory.
What you have to understand is that just because we have the resources, doesn't mean it's right to use them to the limit. Why should we artificially use more resources for the same tasks just because we have the capability to do it. That's retarded. At that point we should just rewrite the kernel in electron because clearly anyone who has a problem with that just needs to download more wam.

Another key component for me is that achieving a high level of minimalism often involves switching to a vey terminal-heavy lifestyle. This is good as it provides a universal interface. The interface used to shitpost, consume content, and whatnot, is the same interface that would be used when administering a server, when configuring my NAS, when working with Amazon EC2 installations, etc.

Why do you hate keeping things simple? Why do you want things to use more resources than they have to to complete their function?

Thank u very much

Really Debian is better than Arch?

Yes.
debian.org/CD/netinst/

But be sure to add the following entries to the /etc/apt/apt.conf configuration file:

APT::Install-Recommends "0"
APT::Install-Suggests "0"

wiki.debian.org/ReduceDebian

But is it better than void?

Don't get carried away. If someone has never used debian before i wouldn't suggest them to do this or that.

It's 2x more stable and established than void hipster loonix

But is it as minimalist, user?

Yes

fucking around with arch, i3, libreboot and thinkpads is not being good with computers, you retards
do something useful like learning programming for once

Void is more minimalist than Debian

Is Slackware minimalist? I used to use Void, but the manual configuration and management aspects of Slackware made me want to use it so I would be forced to learn sysadmin better. So far, so good, but should I move on once I've gotten the hang of things?

>sway/wayland
>mpv
>fbi/feh
>midnight commander
>nano-tiny/vi
>dash/zsh/fish
>links2/nightly
>xvt/tilda

>arch
BLOAT

>OS
freebsd
>browser
firefox
>term
st
>shell
sh
>editor
nvim
>pic viewer
feh
>videos
mpv

honestly the default freebsd sh is actually really comfy and has some cool features. mpv and feh are somewhat broken atm, but im 90% sure its a driver/config issue that will be easily fixable

>OS
void
>DE/WM
bspwm
>Video/Music player
mpv
>Image viewer
feh
>File Manager
ranger/pcmanfm
>Text Editor
vim
>Shell
bash
>Web Browser
firefox (flatpak)
>Terminal
rxvt

Where does it say bsd minimalism thread.

implying anything with gnu or systemd involved is minimal at all

Do you even get laid?

Why do all you fucks have such a raging hate boner for the GNU project?

Guys, I've reached minimalist nirvana. I'm in a total state of zen right now. I have figured out how to have the most minimal system. Basically, all hardware and software is bloat and to get rid of the bloat, you must get rid of your computer. Right now I'm connected to the internet telepathically. It is a the most minimal system.

They count the userbase as bloat. Too many users = bloat. That's why they claim Arch is bloated.

That's actually not the reason they claim that Arch is bloated. They claim Arch is bloated because but I wasn't even talking about Arch. I was talking about GNU.

i dont hate the gnu project at all. however, the software they produce is not minimal or simple. look at the source code for true(1) and false(1) for freebsd and gnu to get an idea of what i mean.

get the fuck out of this thread nigger

"Minimalism = A very good thing, too much of something is never good."

am brainlet
I can't seem to find these. mind posting a comparison or something?

Just wanted to stop by and say that I use GNOME.

BLOAT. YOU AREN'T GONNA MAKE IT SHEEP

here you go. the freebsd false is.basically the same as true, except it returns 1.

svnweb.freebsd.org/base/stable/11/usr.bin/true/true.c?view=markup

git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/tree/src/true.c
git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/tree/src/false.c

Exactly, that why you must get rid of everything. Nothing = everything

Interesting, so what exactly does all of the extra code in the GNU version do? clearly it must be doing SOMETHING?

I wanna put my hot load inside your mother.

>hot load
BLOAT

so does anyone else notice how much systemd has memory leaks? I have two vms, one with Debian Testing netinstall, and one with Void. When I left both running, void's memory usage stayed very stable, which makes sense, as the systems remained untouched for a while. Meanwhile the Systemd one was using quite a bit more than it was when I left it.
Both were using the same WM (bspwm), and the same terminal (urxvt)

as far as i can tell, a lot of it seems to be checks to see if the program should be acting as true of false, especially in usage(). i don't see why a program that returns 1 needs to set locale though (or do any of the other function calls), and if i was writing something like true and needed a comment saying it might return "false" in an edge case id seriously start to think about my program design.

at least false.c is only two lines though amirite

0_0 this makes me want to actually try void but i don't have any problems with debian +dwm actually

>0_0
this was cute i liked it uwu

You really should try void. It's very comfy, and runit is very nice to use. This is the page on how to use it. Very short and easy.
wiki.voidlinux.eu/Runit

Im not reading that. I never had a single problem with my debian install anyway

>connected at all
Existence is bloated as fuck.

-_-

Just try it user

this
just do it

>ITT: newfags not using GNOME

on the subject of BSD and GNU coreutils, what do you think of Busybox?

>the single executable replaces basic functions of more than 300 common commands
>Since each Linux executable requires several kilobytes of overhead, having the BusyBox program combine over two hundred programs together often saves substantial disk space and system memory.
>BusyBox uses the Almquist shell
>BusyBox benefits from the single binary approach, as it reduces the overhead introduced by the executable file format (typically ELF), and it allows code to be shared between multiple applications without requiring a library.

What is appealing about GNOME? Tried it for a few days but just seems like cheap trash in comparison to the flawless Unity 7

>OS
gentoo
>DE/WM
herbstluftwm
>Video/Music player
remote mpd with ncmpcpp/mpv to stream
mpv for video
>Image viewer
feh
>File Manager
none
>Text Editor
vim
>Shell
zsh
>Web Browser
firefox
>Terminal
urxvtd

>Busybox
BLOAT

>herb slut wm

uses less ram than dwm, and the frames are useful in 4k

why?

website?

herbstluftwm.org/

Can someone give me a rundown on Ubuntu without memeing me? I'm using 17.10 and XFCE because I can replicate my windows workflow pretty well and XFCE seems pretty okay for resources.

Of course someone will call me an idiot, but I'm generally curious. I haven't fully switched over to gnu/linux yet but probably will once I get new hardware that supports GPU passthrough so I can spin a VM up for muh games. Other than that, I much prefer running ubuntu and I actually like learning my way around the terminal and bash.

One too many b's in the name.

>OS
Gentoo
>DE/WM
Emacs EXWM mode
>Video/Music player
Emacs mpv/mpd mode
>Image Viewer
Emacs image mode
>File Manager
Emacs dired mode
>Text Editor
Emacs text mode
>Shell
Emacs eshell mode
>Web Browser
Emacs webkit mode
>Terminal
Emacs

The founder of Suckless uses Ubuntu.

I see people memeing all the time about your information being sent to canonical and amazon though. Is this only through unity or is it something much deeper?

Source?

>OS
Gentoo
>DE/WM
Openbox
>Video/Music player
VLC
>Image viewer
feh
>File Manager
PCmanFM
>Text Editor
Notepadqq
>Shell
bash
>Web Browser
Google Chrome
>Terminal
Terminator

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unity_(user_interface)#Privacy_controversy

What's notable though, is that Terry Davis uses Ubuntu with Unity.
An experienced system programmer, suffering from paranoia and schizophrenia, uses open source spyware on his computer.

Do any of these minimal setups handle hidpi properly?

i actually emailed him, how do YOU know lol. And he uses ubuntu (mini iso)
>source
through an email.
i think xorg can handle anything

BLOAT/10

> Some nerd dickhead publishes a list of his autistic preferences and shares his retarded rationale with other retards, calling it "philosophy".
> Hurr, Firefox sucks because it uses a NOT_KOOL_HANDLE for its download window. DURR, ME MAD.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimalism_(computing)

Can you post a screencap of the email for future memeing?

Oh, let them have their fun, user. When push comes to shove, we all know that they're using ``bloated'' software like Firefox, so it's of no consequence. It makes them feel better.

Same fags have no shame
No? I deleted my mailfence account. He used ubuntu on one his computers and alpine on another

Doesnt Alpine use Busybox?

since you're one of the people that make these kind of posts could you be so nice to answer a question?
what exactly about these threads makes you folk so buttblasted? Do you also go on Sup Forumseddit complaining about manchildren play videogames and how much of a waste of time it is as well? Why?

Yes. Many distros use busybox so that they can have a half-decent shell when booting their initramfs; e.g. it's just a superlative thing tact on and thus bloat. Alpine is different in that much of its userland and packaging is built around busybox. Of course, you can't expect ``minimalists'' such as these to understand the kind of nuance of how software is used and how it pertains to minimalism. Rather, they're just satisfied pointing their finger and screaming ``bloat'' on anything that their group mentality deems to be bad.

Ohh I see. Why is it recommended in GNU/linux thread then?

Why wouldn't it be?

Because muh Sup Forums wiki says its almosts gnu free

That's a petty mindset, don't you think? The GNU in GNU/Linux represents the FSF's legacy for the project, not for superficial technical reasons. If that were the case, we might as well call it GNU/Linux/X11/KDE/FreeCiv. People aren't as antagonistic or divided as you would think.

>you have to stop

>(((systemd)))

> awesome using that much
Is it because of the lua shit?

I rather systemd on my shitposting/dualboot/multimedia rig then learn how to make void do a thing i need. I need bluetooth from the login screen up.

Maybe 2018 will be the year of void/runit/Linux/musl. For me, I’ll compromise for comfortability

Slackware is the ultimate distro for taking it easy while being minimal, despite what these 14 year olds ricing Arch may think. If you want to mess with a Slackware based server distro, take a look at 'Superb Mini Server'. Get slpkg right after you install, but only use it when you absolutely have to.

And if you really want to learn how to sysadmin, get into an OpenBSD VPS/homeserver and dick with a BCHS stack on top of a bunch of CRUD/standard or coreutils or a super lightweight werc/nginx stack on top of BSD. Learn sed/awk/acme/plaintext manipulation in general, though, as it's in quite a lot of cases much faster than these huge frameworks that are specifically designed for certain tasks:

aadrake.com/command-line-tools-can-be-235x-faster-than-your-hadoop-cluster.html

Is you knew how Ubuntu worked, you'd be able to set up Gentoo, and that system would work better than Ubuntu, because it's configured to work on your hardware, not to just werk on as many different computers as possible. And it doesn't have any software you don't need.
It's not magic what turns on bluetooth before the display manager starts.

I have a pretty comfy setup while staying low profile. Can go deeper though.

> OS
Used gentoo in summer, had to reinstall in kid of semester, I didn't have the time for gentoo again so fedora because it fit on the 2gig pendrive I had with me at that time. Uses 350mb with only a tty shell opened, very bloated. Plan to replace it in during christmas with gentoo
> DE/WM
awesome, I make use of buttons when keyboard is removed ( cleaning or reorganising desk, happens quite often ) and floating mode to not resize tor browser window. Also nice for my dual monitor setup. 6 virtual desktops for each screen.
> video/music player
mpv for video, mocp for audiobooks and regular music, mpd/ncmpcpp for ogg opus files ( I usually compress torrented flac to opus )
> image viewer
feh for just viewing, gwenview for searching in meme folders
> file manager
shell, mc and dolphin ( for mobile phone connections, it's easier than manual mounting )
> editor
nano, geany, emacs
> shell
bash, sh, rc
> browser
tor, hardened firefox, qupzilla ( will replace with surf )
> terminal
lxterminal ( probably st will replace it, but I need scrolling. Don't want to pipe to less every time)

Why doesn't anyone use VLC?

I used, it wasn't bad. mpv is easier for trivial tasks.

As of the moment, there is no minimalism in this thread. Change the OP, remove all the "who can post, who can't post here" nuisance, add a proper definition of minimalism, add proper minimal distros like Puppy, Damn Small Linux and dynebolic, stop proposing tiling'n'terminal as the only way, stop recommending Gentoo as a minimal distro and you will have a sane discussion. Or leave it as you like and call it something else, like Tiling & Command Line General.

I'm not the OP my friend.
But why do you insist that your vision of minimalism is the only vision of minimalism that's right?
Because I'm fairly sure it actually isn't.
Also while puppy has an interesting architecture it sucks donkey balls in actual day to day use.

>Also while puppy has an interesting architecture it sucks donkey balls in actual day to day use.
Probably because it's not designed for day-to-day use.

> hurr gentoo is not minimalist, use DSL or puppy
Y not ditch all tech then? Take you values to their absolute extreme.

> add proper minimal distros like Puppy, Damn Small Linux and dynebolic
> stop recommending Gentoo as a minimal distro
Distros, intended to be Live CD/USB bases and unfit for almost everything else, with pre-installed desktop environments, are the true minimalism, and Gentoo, with nothing more than basic programming tools and a package manager, is not?

It would be mint for day to day use if it wasn't for silly bugs caused by it's unorthodox approach to filesystems (which I admit to being brilliant)

>OS
ARCH
>WM
BSPWM
>VIDEO/MUSIC
MPV
>IMG VIEWER
PQIV
>FM
THUNAR
>TEXT EDIT
VIM/SUBL3