What's Wrong With GNU Icecat?

I never see it mentioned much on Sup Forums. Why?

What are you talking about? It gets mentioned all the time in browser bait threads. Maybe they just refer to it as Firefox because everybody runs some fork of it, but it's still implied.

Because it is slow and bloated (includes Thunderbird).

icecat is shit on my pc, the adons make the browser slow on my machine

It's fine on my x60 what are you talking about?

>includes Thunderbird
No, it doesn't

You can remove the addons

It is infrequently mentioned actually. Saying "Firefox" doesn't necessarily imply GNU Icecat at all.

it's barely worthy of being called a browser, it's basically just a configuration of firefox

>using a fork of Firefox when you could simply use Firefox
What on Earth are you doing?

You guys are right. I was thinking of seamonkey.
Icecat is fine, I remember using it when I was running debian.

firefox is botnet now

what changes to icecat actually make to firefox besides including librejs on install?

Does icecat have Firefox sync?

GNU IceCat isn't because they remove all the botnet :^)

No mate It's GNU Icecat!

GNU Icecat is better.

The botnet is taken out. I can't even watch YouTube videos on it. It's fucking great. It stops me wasting time, which I used to do far too often.

That's just because of libre.js you dummy. What else can it do?

Install it and find out you botnetted fishtank!

GNU ICECAT!

GNU ICECAT!

for those who are too lazy to look up what it does, here's what it does:
>EME is not implemented: Whereas Firefox are being created such that they support Digital Restrictions Management (DRM) systems through their implementation of the Encrypted Media Extension (EME), GNU IceCat doesn't include an EME implementation as it opposes efforts to popularize and ease the dissemination of DRM technology.
>IceCat is configured with: WebRTC disabled
>Telemetry is disabled.

And unlike with FF, when this stuff is disabled, it stays disabled. (firefox has been known to re-enable the botnet on updates)

It's literally just a slightly modified version of Firefox ESR.

NO IT'S GNU ICECAT!

What's not to love, right? Librejs is cool too.

-they stopped making windows and mac versions in version 38, I guess for later FF versions you needed non-free crapware compilers
-the gnu+linux binary version is stuck at an early version of 52ESR, last updates months ago.

I'm looking forward to the first Quantum based version thou.

Does that mean we shouldn't use it?

>first Quantum based version
It should be coming between march and june of next year.

so is it safe to use still then or what? i like what the guys in this thread say about it

The windows and mac versions are old as hell and probably full with security holes that were fixed in later versions.
The GNU/Linux versions should be OK to use, but expect some trouble with addons.

thanks

GNU ICECAT!

Can't watch Netflix or Amazon Prime on it.

The only current browser that doesn't suck. I recommend it every day.

Good for hermit browsing

But you still need a backup browser for updated add-ons (for normie scumbagging)

Surely that's a "selling" point?

I use regular Firefox on another machine for that, but I'm trying to change my habits and stop normalshitting altogether.