Why aren't you using Alacritty, Sup Forums?

Why aren't you using Alacritty, Sup Forums?

github.com/jwilm/alacritty

> doesn't support sixel
This is surely the only non-meme reason to desire GPU acceleration

Does it speed up execution of programs inside the terminal or just text output

Guys please I need to know

I don't understand the point of it. Yes, yes, blazing fast terminal emulator but since when have terminal emulators been slow?

my term can get a little slow on my arch machine bc of its terrible specs. i see the appeal of this

If you're running shit that writes a lot of lines to stdout then it might be faster. Rendering takes time (milliseconds, but it adds up).

>no scrollback
why does it matter to render text so fast when you can't see what was written?

Use tmux.

>rust
No thanks.

I guess you prefer Javascript.

because VTE/Gnome-Terminal jus werks

because it's bloat?
it wasn't a problem in 1980, why is it a problem today?

Just text output.
If you're writing something computational that also spits out a lot lines, buffer the output into a variable and then print the whole thing out at once. Otherwise your program runs a lot slower. Basically is pointless for 98% of use cases.

It's the st argument all over again
> My terminal having scrollback is bloat, so imma use this ~70k LoC multiplexer to get it

since forever?

terminals are basically just overglorified and shitty GUI toolkits and most of them are just fundamentally flawed and slow like XTerm.

and this shitty terminal emulator is only bnechmarked by writing a lot of text super dooper fast and not on actual terminal drawing performance like cmatrix or something that bounces the drawing cursor back and forth.

Tmux is the biggest of bloat that you can add to your terminal.
I think there's a PR for it or something, they certainly want to add it.
Interested but not using it yet because startup is quite slow compared to vte-based terminals.

>> My terminal having scrollback is bloat, so imma use this ~70k LoC multiplexer to get it

this. st fags are deluded fucknuggets.

terminal so shit, you have to run a terminal on your terminal to make it useful.

Try doing seq 100000 in urxvt and any vte-based terminal, the difference is huge. Shame that urxvt is a piece of shit when it comes to configuration.
>and this shitty terminal emulator is only bnechmarked by writing a lot of text super dooper fast and not on actual terminal drawing performance like cmatrix or something that bounces the drawing cursor back and forth.
There's probably some correlation between the two though.

also what exactly is "GPU" accelerated on this terminal?

virtually any nonshit terminal is likely using pango/harfbuzz to rasterize your text using a gpu anyhow. so what is this guy doing that's so special?

why? VTE based terminals are faster where it matters like redrawing and handling widgets and shit fast.

i don't need a terminal to be able to render megabytes of text super fast.

and yes, urxvt is literally the most overrated, shittiest terminal emulator to ever exist. even xterm is better in many ways to that shitheap.

this; however
>i don't need a terminal to be able to render megabytes of text super fast.
I do

If you do the text rendering yourself rather than with a general-purpose library you can probably optimize it better.
I don't need it either, but it's nice to have one. Especially since alacritty is quite configurable. Also source on vte terminals being fast at redrawing? I don't see why it would be the case considering that's it's fucking slow when there's tons of output.

what the fuck is it

then why don't you redirect to a file then and read it later you fucking mook.

what the fuck are you doing?

i don't know. try using Wayland GNOME 3 and something like cmatrix in asynchronous scrolling. I find VTE on wayland is much more usable than any other vt100+ terminal emulator I've used.

>emoji in terminal

Please no. Next thing people are going to start writing compilers for emoji in code.

why fucking not?

they are standardized in unicode and there are whole bilingual planes dedicated to them. nonshit ttf's have some graphics, svg's or some other vector graphics, that implement them.

if your terminal is so shit it can't properly rasterize standardized unicode shit, it's just garbage.

>try using Wayland GNOME 3 and something like cmatrix in asynchronous scrolling
Basically no noticeable difference on my end between termite, alacritty and urxvt. If you had some actual benchmark that'd be nice.

"Rocket has Launched" with a childish image of a rocket next to it is not appealing to me.

Then don't type childish shit in your terminal you fucking idiot.

>what the fuck are you doing?
interactively creating data in a programming language
>read it later
not an option

bullshit retard. you aren't reading megabytes of scrolling text. just stop

>I don't like your usecase therefore I prefer slow programs.

They're going to add scrollback eventually. The author got over his autism about it.

Not the same user, but sometimes there is a long running process and you want some real time progress update on it but you're making it slower by watching it pipe to stdout.

>im a retard who has a 38000 "buad" character device as my output and understand it's a bottleneck in my shitty special snowflake program and I'm not going to address the issue by storing the output a suitably faster way.