What is the actual purpose of ultrawide monitors? I tried one at the store, but it doesn't make any sense to me

What is the actual purpose of ultrawide monitors? I tried one at the store, but it doesn't make any sense to me.

Doesn't it make more sense to buy a 32" 1440p/4k monitor with two 24" monitors or whatever? Do people actually spend that much money on a ultrawide monitor that has a curved panel because they don't like the bezel?

Other urls found in this thread:

samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/49--chg90-qled-gaming-monitor-lc49hg90dmnxza/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I use exclusively 3:2 displays

>What is the actual purpose of ultrawide monitors?
gaming
>I tried one at the store, but it doesn't make any sense to me.
indeed it doesn't make sense

so what do ultrawide monitors offer over regular 16:9 or 16:10 monitors in terms of gaming?

Fixed

Add a portrait monitor to the other side and you're right.

real FOV

1 3440x1400 is cheaper than 3 good 1080p panels.

Also if you are ocd you'll quickly reason the differences in color between the 3 monitors and drive yourself insane trying to get 3 perfect ones

More peripheral vision, obviously. I don't really see how this is hard to get.

I don't get how people can like portrait monitors. It kills your neck in the long run unless your monitors are tiny as fuck.

>Thinkpad T61p 1920x1200
>docked with Dell Ultrasharp 1280x1024

It's 16:10 and 5:4, but close enough.

Holy shit

>Blak bars

I /vr/ game on a wide screen. Triggered baby much?

>16:9 vs 4:3
>4x4 = 16
>3x3 = 9

It´s just the fucking same.

>Not orienting your monitors diagonally

>16:9 vs 4:3
>16x4 = 64
> 9x3 = 27
>64/27=2.37
>21/9=2.33≈2.37
Holy shit all resolutions are the same fucking thing

I've been using this unironically for at least three years, what am I?

a fucking weirdo

What about a 24" curved monitor?

Best example

>not using a monitor rotating at 144 hz with each frame rendering a portion of a circular (technically 144-sided n-gon) desktop area based on its current orientation

No way, that's retarded. Everyone knows the 4:3 monitor goes on the left.

Rate Sup Forums

Seeing how high most people put their landscape monitors, I don't think that portrait monitors are noticeably worse than that if the bottom edge is as low as the desk allows.

40" 4k mustardrace

my only complaint is the PIP options mine came with.

>not connecting 9 1280x1024 monitors in a large square.

But how does that really enhance the experience over 16:9? Unlike when watching TV, when gaming on a PC you’re already close to the screen and it takes up a large part of your field of view. Widening it further is just adding more stuff in the less-used part of your vision.

Ultrawide is one monitor and half, not three. The height is also less than a 27" 16:9.

In other words, you're paying for overpriced garbage that uses the worst panels

Do you really need that many displays for crypto daytrading?

Maybe get glasses? I know several people who love ultrawides just so that they can put inventory screens/quest logs on the edges to keep it out of their main playing view.

> I don't get how people can like portrait monitors. It kills your neck in the long run unless your monitors are tiny as fuck.

Reading manga and websites you retarded fuck

> that uses the worst panels

That's your own fault for not doing research beforehand.

You missed my point entirely. Go take your pent up anger out on someone else.

I don't do trading. I certainly don't NEED this many screens, but it's neat and useful.

samsung.com/us/computing/monitors/gaming/49--chg90-qled-gaming-monitor-lc49hg90dmnxza/

What am I?

I have to say that cinematic 4k widescreen looks amazing on my 21:9 and has effectively no black bars

All ultrawide monitors have these features
>curved
>more dead pixels than regular monitors
>huge input lag

Neck yourself retard.

chaotic evil

Are you retarded? I'll spell it out for you again, remember that re-reading is practice.

Reading manga or websites in portrait mode is easier than landscape mode.

why so low?

>What is the actual purpose of ultrawide monitors? I tried one at the store, but it doesn't make any sense to me.
Larger diagonal for the same surface are. Manufacturers can quote a higher number. (A 32" ultrawide is much, much cheaper to produce than a 32" 16:9)

Retarded

No reason for it to be higher than it needs to be. Looking straight/down is way easier than looking up.

it works for me

my xr341ck has no issues with pixels and has a tested actual g2g of 8ms
works for me m8

It doesn't mean that you're not retarded

wouldnt you have to look up to see the tops of the outside monitors if your eyeline is set to the middle of the center one? at least thats where my eyeline is setup

why do you say it's retarded

I'm really happy with my 21:9. The slight curve is actually really nice. It took me about an hour to acclimate to it.

Once in a while I have to mess with settings or modifications to get things to display on the full screen but there is always a solution.

It's a lot more immersive than dual or triple monitors. It's a very clean look. It's a continuous screen instead of having bezels in the middle of things. Mounted on an arm, it can be moved and swiveled easily.

Would buy again. I think a lot of the angst people have for them has to do with the price. I think envy sometimes makes people angry at products with premium prices when cheaper options are available. See: Apple, craft beer, BMW, expensive mechanical keyboards, etc.

Psychology quiz. What is peripheral version for and what kind of things is peripheral version good at detecting? Motion. Why would a gamer want to detect motion in a wider field of vision? Probably the same reason our brains evolved to detect motion (and not much else) in the peripheral vision.

Obviously this only applies to first person games, but still. Out vision is mostly horizontal and even though 99% of our vision is within a degree of the pinpoint you're focusing on, if you're going for immersion rather than conveying information visually then obviously the trend would be towards greater horizontal field of vision.

Yes, but, outside monitors are already as low as the desk allows. They have a good reason to be above the eye line, the middle monitor doesn't have one.

Question for people with > 2 monitors. What do you do with them? How often do you use the 3rd or more?

I find 2 is plenty for software dev. I'd struggle to make worthwhile use of a 3rd and >3 would just be silly.

Actual setup for people who get things done and are succesfull both in their career and in interpersonal relationships.
>mobility
>simplicity
>modularity

I'm Central monitor is usually for whatever I'm actively working on
Left monitor is documentation
Right is Trello and chat (slack/IRC)
Top is usually unused but sometimes I'll throw a video or youtube up there for something to listen to

I will sometimes plug in a third but the third will always be entirely dedicated to either a video or information feed which I rarely pay attention to or a virtual or remote machine.

That's also the kind of thing other people I know who have more than two tend to use them for. Either things that you don't interact with or things that you don't interact with IN TANDEM with the things on the first two screens.

16:10 is vastly superiour to pleb tier 16:9/9:16.

I have a browser open on the left one 99% of the time, whatever I'm doing or some stream/youtube on the middle one, and crap like skype, discord, utorrent, and steam on the right one.

There's not much point for a third monitor for general use, but it's not like I was going to throw one of the 1080p ones away when I got the 1440p one.

I () currently have, in left-to-right top-to-bottom order:
- work chat (closed on weekends)
- irc
- email
- web browser
- development tools
- things I am developing / testing

I used to have 4 but im down to 3. what i mainly found useful was when i was in school and referencing multiple pdfs of books and websites while doing homework. was nice to not have to tab back and fourth. but now its usually chat programs/email on the right one system info or settings or msi afterburner etc and then the middle is for gaming or editing or large page browsing

fuck you all

but what if i have both?

You know Workspaces (aka multiple desktops in Windows environments) exist? Why dedicate entire screens to things that only get used occasionally?

>The fact that you deny me from saving that pepe makes me want to save it even more

Fuse together and have devine chosen one-tier 16:18

>You know Workspaces (aka multiple desktops in Windows environments) exist?
Yes.

>Why dedicate entire screens to things that only get used occasionally?
Which would those be, exactly? I use all of those all the time.

You clearly have two distinctly separate environments going on: your development environment and your communications environment. They're obviously physically separated with the dev environment being on bottom and the communications environment on top. Is would be trivial to just Ctrl+Super+Up/Down every time you wanted to switch instead of looking up/down if you wanted to switch. The amount of resources you dedicated to looking like you're a big important guy with a lot of big important things going on just makes you look like a flamboyant technophile.

Big ass 16:10 (30") above little 16:10 (13" laptop) is obviously the best setup.

>You clearly have two distinctly separate environments going on: your development environment and your communications environment. They're obviously physically separated with the dev environment being on bottom and the communications environment on top. Is would be trivial to just Ctrl+Super+Up/Down every time you wanted to switch instead of looking up/down if you wanted to switch.
All this is true, but besides the point. The environments are mostly separate, but I want to keep a passive eye at the communication stuff at more or less all times. They are there in separate screens, off the main path, so that I can passively keep up with communications and instantly pay attention if someone wants something from me.

>The amount of resources you dedicated to looking like you're a big important guy with a lot of big important things going on just makes you look like a flamboyant technophile.
I don't care how I look one bit. When I had three screens I felt myself wishing for more. So I bought more when a good opportunity arose. That's all, no posturing involved.

>god tier: single 16:10

You'll be annoyed by your 16:9 monitor not being as good as your 16:10 monitor even if the 16:9 monitor has a better panel(like mine does).

Ultrawide is the best ratio because it is the closest to what cinema uses.

Which makes it very nice for watching movies.

For doing anything else on your computer, though, it's a pain.

When I tried it at the store, these were my biggest issues

Most games don't support that display ratio.
Browsing the web on it sucks ass, so much dead space on the sides
Applications look extremely shit on it due to fact there's a lot of dead space.

I play fighting games, and bought an ultrawide monitor during black friday. Like pic related, it kind of gives you the advantage of having a better idea of where you are on the stage, and helps you anticipate walls better. I hate ultrawide for interfaces, but during gameplay it looks so much better than regular 16:9. I recommend for everyone to try ultrawide gaming just once.

i don't recommend this

tournaments use 16:9 monitors, so you'll be fucked because you've been practicing on something else

But what is 16:9 (27 inch QHD) + 16:9 (21 inch 1080p)?

>1:1
God, I want one of these for a secondary monitor so bad, but $1400 is just too much to justify.

>For doing anything else on your computer, though, it's a pain.
Not at all. It's great for multitasking when you don't have the space for multiple monitors.
Games are great too.

>Most games don't support that display ratio.
Can't say I have encountered any that don't work with it, though different engines handle it in different ways.

>Browsing the web on it sucks ass, so much dead space on the sides
>Applications look extremely shit on it due to fact there's a lot of dead space.
Please tell me you aren't using things full screen. It's almost 2018 already.

>tournaments
What the actual fuck.

fighting games suck online

Sure, if you intend on becoming a high level player, but most players seem to play on PC anyway because of the input lag on consoles, despite ps4 being the tournament standard. The input lag was patched recently though so we'll see.

you don't have to be a high level player to play in tournaments, most people do it for fun because it is fun

i think they used pc in evo

5k ~200 dpi displays are sexy and tempting, but until 8k ~40" displays come out, this is IMO the best setup.

>Actual setup for people who get things done and are succesfull (sic) both in their career and in interpersonal relationships.

That's my setup and I'm just a NEET.

lmao
>enjoy your black bars on 21:9
>multi monitor has no bars

c-can I still be successful in my career and interpersonal relationships, mobile, simple and modular if I have 120 extra vertical pixels?

>(4/3)^2 = 4/3

16xg

that's not a real aspect ratio, genius

Yep, it’s for us poorfags who can’t afford a 21:9 CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE with a projector ;(

I put a tiny box beneath laptop

mind blown

Lawful evil