/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Delid your CPU:
youtube.com/watch?v=2eFzNpTOaOw

>Assemble a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Example gaming builds and _monitor_ suggestions; click on the blue title to see notes
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
>Learn how to build a PC (You can find a lot more detailed videos on channels like Bitwit)
youtube.com/watch?v=69WFt6_dF8g
>How to install Win7 on Ryzen
pastebin.com/TUZvnmy1

If you want help:
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses, e.g. Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (e.g., photoediting, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)

CPUs:
>G4560/G4600 for non-gaming (light tasks) or bare minimum gaming builds with a dedicated graphics card
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (best with OC + fast RAM)
>i5 8400 / i5 8600k - Great gaming (especially the 8400) or multithreaded use CPUs
>R7 / Used Xeon / Threadripper / i7 - Heavy Multi-Tasking / VM Work / Mixed use

RAM:
>Current CPUs benefit from high speed RAM; 2666 MHz is ideal
>Before buying RAM for Ryzen, check your Mobo's QVL or look for user reports (if you have to use RAM off the QVL, update BIOS and there's a decent chance it'll work)

Graphics cards:
>Consider Vega 56 for a Freesync monitor
>Crypto-Currency miners have driven GPU prices up (particularly Radeon)
1080p
>GTX 1050Ti and 3GB 1060 are the only reasonably priced cards; 6GB 1060 or 4GB 580 if you want to overpay a little
>GTX 1070 if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
1440p
>GTX 1070/Ti and 1080 are standard choices; currently overpriced
>GTX 1080Ti if you're looking for very high (100+) framerates and you have a CPU and monitor to match
2160p (4K)
>GTX 1080Ti

General:
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING
>A 240GB or larger SSD is almost mandatory; consider m.2 form factor

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/xhrtVY
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/D8P9hq
pcpartpicker.com/list/r6FHYr
pcpartpicker.com/list/w4vNXH
pcpartpicker.com/list/cHgqKZ
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/pLTtVY
pcpartpicker.com/list/tngqKZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/Gw4JvV
pcpartpicker.com/list/qg6ysJ
flash.newegg.com/product/24-160-291
pcpartpicker.com/list/BHCgD8
pcpartpicker.com/list/Vx8zbj
pcpartpicker.com/list/mrZGsJ
pcpartpicker.com/list/QZVbNN
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Athlon X4 950 or a Ryzen 3?

The order of CPUs should be R7, i7, Threadripper, Xeon or R7, Threadripper, i7, Xeon

Gaming pc 1080p 144hz monitor budget 1300 dollars.

pcpartpicker.com/list/xhrtVY

mini-atx board with atx tower?

Ryzen mate

Yeah why would you put mITX in an ATX case

Cheers big ears.

New to building a pc what do you suggest?

ast time I updated my case fans was 6 years ago. Have any significant breakthroughs been made in that time, or should I keep dusting off my old ones? I've been periodically updating my other parts.

Budget?

Build is whack.
>Mini itx with ATX
>crappy monitor
>z370 with locked cpu

Buy a better monitor - benq 2411z
buy a cheaper board with the features you want
buy a mini itx case so it doesn't look odd

if you cant afford everything save a bit more.

Athlon isn't worth the money

Monitor is bleh
Case and mobo form factor don't match

As long as they don't squeak or grind, they're fine

Get a mini-ITX case or get an ATX board
Do you have any problems with your current ones? PWM control (4-pin) is nice if you don't have that.

Should I oc my ryzen 3 to 3.8 or 4 ghz ?

More is better so long as your cooler can handle it nicely.

1200 to 1300 dollars is ideal...i just looked and ratings and chose a nice priced one

Dont some itx boards fit in atx cases?

and as long as the mobo can regulate the voltage

Alright here's my budget build
Firstly i WILL not be changing the ram, don't reccomend me any. Ram prices in the UK are insane and £60 for DDR4 2x4Gb of ram is a fucking deal so I'm going for it.

Other than that, what would you change keeping it at £500 or below. Also, no case changing.

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/D8P9hq

I'll build you one, gimme a bit. Do you need a monitor and mouse and keyboard?

They fit, but there's no point of buying a board with less features when you could have more.

>uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/D8P9hq
Is this a gay man build. Where the ssd?

3.8GHz

They fit but it would be dumb to use a mITX board in an ATX case

Get a PSU with two 6+2 pin connectors if you're ever planning to get a high powered graphics card

Yes a whole battle station right now I have a laptop.

I would like to play games as they come out at the highest setting but I also want to spend 1200 to 1300 dollars. Ty for taking the time to actually build one.

Check the OP builds

You want to build a pc $1200 to $1300

Can Thermal Compound be wiped off with tissue?

I didn't realize I had to use the A2 and B2 Ram slots for dual channel so I have to take off my bigass D15 to rearrange them.

Should I just buy isopropyl alcohol?

For the love of god use alcohol and something without lint (tissues will tear to shit) such as coffee filters to remove thermal paste

Don't need or want one.

Microfibre cloths work well

Yes basically

Ok thanks. I guess the screen wiper I have will do well.

I have an amd and intel build, Im using the same cooler for bothe and the price went up lie $20 yesterday but normally its $20 so subtract 20 from each and then they are both below $1300

pcpartpicker.com/list/r6FHYr
pcpartpicker.com/list/w4vNXH

Sorry I meant to send it to you.

pcpartpicker.com/list/cHgqKZ

This is rough, and I'd wait for other people's input. I'm newish as well.

Why is AMD Ryzen 5 is better than the i5 8400 i chose? Also any where I can upgrade the graphic card?

Ty for your build

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/pLTtVY

Is the PSU good now?

help

Lol, I build a ryzen 7 build for cheaper with an rx 580
>Windows 10
ah I see your problem now. Just buy a license for wayy cheaper

what happened sir?

R5 is 3.2ghz and 6 cores, 8400 is 2.8ghz and 6 cores.

When you think clock speeds make something better than another

what cooler should I get for a R5? Is the H70 good or is there a cheaper option?

lol my b i didn't mean to send it to u.

this is way better:
pcpartpicker.com/list/tngqKZ

gtx 1070
and you can get win10 free from MS themselves

this is incorrect logic. the 8400 is faster for gaming. the 1600 is better for productivity

>pcpartpicker.com/list/tngqKZ
>1070
>1080p
getting a 1070 for 1080p is dumb. Get a 1400p or 1060. Also get a 250gb ssd .

>getting a 1070 for 1080p is dumb

no it isn't. if you bothered to check his monitor it's a 1080p144 and the 1070 is the best price/perf for achieving that. a 1060 is a good 1080p60 gpu. the rule of building a pc is that the gpu should be at least a 3rd of the price of the whole pc (not including peripherals).

>Also get a 250gb ssd .
128 is fine. why would he skimp on graphical capability for an extra 100gb storage when he already has a good 128gb ssd and 1tb hdd.

I tweaked it a bit because you did say 8400 was for gaming and that's what I am doing. How does this look? I just need a motherboard and I can't seem to choose one.

pcpartpicker.com/list/Gw4JvV

How does turbo work on intel cpus? Is it worth overclocking my 8700k to 4.9-5 GHz if the turbo goes to 4.7? Does the ~300 MHz make a difference?

keep in mind that monitor is $229. you should probably just stick to the ryzen so you don't go over your budget.

this is average performance but the 8400 can pull way ahead in some games but for the sake of your budget i'd just get the ryzen

ryzen

Turbo is only on one core while the rest have lower boosts.
If you enable MultiCore Enhancement, all cores will boost to 4.7 instead of lower clocks.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/Gw4JvV
ok y though, if your buying a 1070 and a monitor with 144 hz then y not just get a 1440p? the build is already like 1.3K it just seems to me that the 1070 could be used better. Also personally I have had poor experiences with lower capacity ssd's, I suppose it depends on your library. There are some games that take up 40 to 50 gb and others that take up like 5.

heres a better one pcpartpicker.com/list/qg6ysJ

>corsair cx
fuck no just get a seasonic

arent they the same price though. and that chart shows OC'd 1600. From those 2 things I would sya the i5 a better valued chip but at that it just personal preference I guess.

If I have all cores boosted to 4.7 via MCE, would that essentially be the same as a manual 4.7 overclock? And at that point, would it be worth overclocking further purely for performance?

>ok y though, if your buying a 1070 and a monitor with 144 hz then y not just get a 1440p?
because a 1440p monitor won't fit in his budget and the 1070 doesn't work well with 1440p144hz anyway. it even struggles to hit 1440p60 in a lot of modern AAA games unless settings are turned down. the 1080 is the best price/perf 1440p card. the 1070 is the perfect 1080p144 gpu right now.

>There are some games that take up 40 to 50 gb and others that take up like 5.
he doesn't have to have like 50 games on his ssd. only ones which he might play regularly or really really benefit from an ssd. i have all my games on a 1tb hdd and i haven't had any issues whatsoever. i don't mind the 5-30 seconds longer initial loading times.

I really like this one. I'll save a bit more to upgrade cpu and graphics card. Ty user

>arent they the same price though
really good ryzen motherboards can be found for like $70 as shown in the build. the low end intel coffee lake mobos aren't out till like q2 next year so you have to settle for the x370 mobos which are start off around $60 more expensive for the low end ones.

MCE is basically simpler overclocking, and going to or past 5GHz will net better performance. However, any overclocking can make the chip very hot with weaker cooling solutions if you haven't delidded.

is this bait? why would he drop $300+ on a 580 when the 1060 is on average faster for $100 less and the 1070 is 50% faster for $70 more? have you been living under a rock and not seen the whole mining craze?

please never post again.

flash.newegg.com/product/24-160-291
Should I get this monitor, Sup Forums?

Okay, thank you. I guess I’ll just see if I’m happy with the performance out of the box and go from there

If you have a Radeon card already

Most retarded build I've seen in a few months

If I save up my budge to 1400 to 1500 dollars is this a good build?

pcpartpicker.com/list/BHCgD8

Looking at upgrading my current GTX580 to something around $400-500 Australian. Am I stupid for considering an RX580 8Gb over an Nvidia? I'd happily go for a 1060 although the lack of SLI ability for future proofing puts me off, where as with the AMD card I'd happily buy another down the track and crossfire it if I found it to start lacking.
I'm also looking at a couple 21:9 1080p monitors equipped with freesync which sort of helps sway my decision.

>Drop to b350 mobo
>Pick a better monitor, psu, case, kb/mouse

If you want suggestions reply back.

>why would he drop $300+ on a 580 when the 1060 is on average faster
its $270 and its faster, could you just stop shilling

Inb4 shill post 720p

if you're going to have that budget then this better
pcpartpicker.com/list/Vx8zbj

Suuuuure, I'm open to suggestions

There's literally nothing wrong with it unless you are a shill

they are both shit

pcpartpicker.com/list/mrZGsJ

The 1060 Windforce and 580 red devil are both absurdly overpriced and performance depends mostly on specific game so averages matter much less

>Monitor: BenQ 2411z
>Any coffee lake mobo with features you want to get the price down
>Case: Phanteks (any), NZXT h440 or s340, Fractal design type c
>kb/mouse combo is a choice you can make but cheapo ones will do if you buy another kb/mouse in a year or so time

Stop reccing that shit paper launch 56% mutt

meanwhile the 1060 is $50 cheaper
are you really advocating a ~2% margin of error gain for $50 more? even if it was $30 more than a fucking joke. not only that but the 580 draws more power than the vega 56 and 1080. absolute joke of a gpu.

t. had a sapphire nitro+ 580 and returned it after a week

>coffee lake
lol nice joke juan

thats the architecture mate

wrong pic

>b-but its cheaper
i thought amd was for poorfags

>not only that but the 580 draws more power than the vega 56 and 1080
say it with me everyone

TOO
DUMB
TO
USE
SLIDER

TOO
DUMB
TO
USE
SLIDER

I5 8400 + ASROCK Z370M PRO4 = $320

Ryzen 1600 + Gigabyte GA-AB350N -Gaming Wifi = $335

Which one is better?

And can Ryzen B320 chipset stand 8 core without OC?

>cheaper
>same performance (better performance in the games which matter like pubg)
>much, much lower power consumption
>much better game support

tell me again why i should pay more for the 580?

God, the VEGA cards are colossal turds they should have never been released. No wonder Raja fucked off to Intel. He realized RTG is basically un-savable

How the fuck do I pick a PSU?

Why would you spend over $100 on B350? X370 is the premium chipset.
Anyway, the 8400 has higher single-threaded performance and lower multi-threaded, while the 1600 has the opposite.
The chipset only commands I/O, not power delivery. That's the job of the VRMs, which are better on some boards than others (Buildzoid has a complete breakdown of all AM4 VRMs, but to save you the trouble the pro carbon is probably the best out of B350).

>Find the power draw of your CPU and video card when overclocked (even if you don't plan to)
>Add a couple hundred watts
>Read jonnyGURU reviews for units within 50 or so watts of that

Thanks user

>rx 580

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone due to massively inflated prices. These should be $200 not the $319 or whatever it was in your build.

My older PC finally died after 9 years and I'm looking at building my own.

Budget: $1,500 (I'll go up to $2k if I really need to) **US Dollars
Purpose: Gaming
Monitor: I-O Data 4K 3840x2160
Parts: pcpartpicker.com/list/QZVbNN

The graphics card was a gift so I can't change that, and my monitor is already paid for. I'd just like someone to look over my build list and see if it should be tweaked/improved before I go ahead and buy it.

RTG is already dead. Other than miners, nobody is buying their gpu because there isn't a single reason to. Steam hardware surveys show 80% market share for Nvidia and only about 10% for AMD. The top like 50 most used gpu are all Nvidia.

If I want to spend ~$50 on computer speakers for desk, are Logitech Z333 the best?

Crap

Monitor is bad for the AMD graphics card
Get the MSI Optix in the OP pcpartpicker. VA panel + Freesync2 + HDR10

R5 is worse than the i5 in gaming, but the R5 is also cheaper

Why do people prefer the Ryzen 5 1600 to the intel i5-8400 if the latter is better?

Bought a GTX 1070 for my rig with a Ryzen 3 1200, how much of a bottleneck should I expect?