Last thread: >>63869966

Last thread: Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Your friendly neighborhood search engine.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: → →

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=842522
github.com/bohoomil/fontconfig-ultimate/issues/191#issuecomment-289799221
packages.ubuntu.com/artful/connman
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/network/wireless/iwd.git/tree/README
01.org/connman
w1.fi/wpa_supplicant/
01.org/connman/blogs/pflykt/2017/connman-1.34
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I'm going to install Debian soon is there anything I should know about how to install graphics drivers n shit?

Dont play any games but my old nvidia card is past is deathbed and i need to upgrade(90c IDLE). Never used amd before but tired of lack of FOSS nvidia drivers, is the rx 560 4gb a good upgrade for video playing(4k,hvec x265?) or is there a better option?

Follow the wiki carefully, if you do so its painless

Can you link me to a setup guide on the wiki? I can't seem to find one.

unless it's for a server, make sure you install debian buster/testing. Stable will have ridiculously old packages and isn't really worth using on a normal computer.

It's for a desktop and I have decided on using Testing.

I'm also installing it in a dual-boot with Windows 10 but I plan on having them on two separate drives if that's possible (Windows on 1tb hdd and debian on 250gb ssd)

>subject in name field
You fucked up so bad, OP. Just delete the tread if you still can.
But does anyone have experience with deduplication?

Fuck I didn't realize, am mobileposting
People can still find it if they search /fglt/ in the catalog though, right?

Yeah, expect massive horrible screen tearing at first. I finally figured out how to fix it through some combination of compton and amdgpu but I don't know if I can even repeat what I did at this point.

If i use SELinux, are the "file labels" that SELinxu applies to files transferable?
If it applies labels to a file and then i send that file, can they then deduce that i use SELinux by looking for these file labels?

Yeah I know that's a thing with xfce that you have to install Compton, and I am going to use xfce so I'll do that.
Also I think I'm going to remove systemd just because I heard it's relatively easy to do in debian.

Has anyone gotten a eGPU to work on Linux?

>debian.
Look in to Devuan, its debian without systemd, and you dont have to pay special attention to things manually since they do it for you

fuck off, debianfag

>mobileposting
Mobile phones aren't compatible with freedom, I hope you realize that. From software to firmware to hardware, they're insecure and proprietary, even with custom ROMs and fdroid.

Yeah, fuck phones. No one should use them.

Him seems interesting, but last time I used a fork of a popular distro (Antergos) it was filled with a bunch of meta-packages and shit so Idk. Is there really a lot of specific things to look for when removing systemd on regular Debian because if there is then I might just forget about it because it's not that big a deal to me.

Yes I realize that Stallman

>him
hm* frickin mobileposting

who's the white one?

I've got a hell of a problem.
I'm running lightweight PeppermintOS on a dual core AMD Vision E2 processor with 4 gigs of RAM and I'm in need of a distro that can handle modern hardware drivers (2012-2014 HP) and still not toll my 1.2GHZ dual core with no hyperthreading to the scorching side of hell.

Any ideas?

Ok Debian guy is going to sleep now I will check for any further answers to my questions when I wake up tomorrow, thanks for the help anons.

thanks for the qt anime girl!

what's with this linux dyke meme?

not sure if I should ask here or /sqt/, but i have a question. Recently I was trying to watch a show in MPV and it would not start, giving me this output:
mpv: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libass.so.5: undefined symbol: FT_Outline_EmboldenXY

it isn't a "linux dyke meme." it's specifically a debian meme about how similar the spelling is to lesbian.

Anime lesbians =/= dykes

Some people just hate security updates.

>lack of FOSS nvidia drivers
Nouveau?

>>Nouveau?
Power management(engine/voltage/memory adjusting) is garbage for almost every card class, and non existent for the latest cards. For example my 480 gtx has its base block as 50mhz,since nouveau cant change the memory clocking, im stuck at 50 mhz and performance is awful.Most cards base clocks are retardedly low.

What I/O scheduler do people with SSDs use? Is noop the best? Deadline?
I keep finding conflicting reports when googling this. I'm currently on CFQ, not sure which to switch over to. How do we know the decisive answer to this?

whats the difference between 1st and 1th?

BFS/MUQSS

currently using Debian Testing, I have a laptop with Nvidia Optimus, should I go balls in and try to install nvidia driver or should I stay with the free intel driver ?
I don't care about game but if my desktop experience will be faster with nvdidia why not.

>gentuuuu

like if we gave a shit about this shithead

God invented the earth and look how shitty it is

>coid repos downlaoding at 50kb/s or slower

REEEE WHY DOES MY FREE DISTRO MAINTAINED BY A SMALL GROUP OF VOLUNTEERS THAT I CONTRIBUTE NOTHING TO NOT GO FASTER

Void of packages and bandwidth :^)

>god
one fresh 「LⅯAO」 just 4 u my friend

Trying to setup apparmor. When ever i try to use any of the installed tools, i get this error.
RecursionError: maximum recursion depth exceeded while calling a Python object

What can i do here?

Is it possible to get ubongo to do colour management? Even with an ICC loaded, colours of the general UI look oversaturated on my wide gamut display. Only Firefox actually looks normal, since is wide gamut aware.

Always go with the official drivers, don't listen to these autismos. You paid for the hardware, might as well get what you paid for. Yes it will 100% be faster and the fan probably won't ever come on again.

with that logic, I paid for Windows when I bought my pc so I should use it ?

my laptop have optimus, so it's an Intel GPU+ a low tier nvidia (940mx), with that setup when you keep the FOSS driver, it will only run on the Intel GPU so the official (and foss) drivers. The question is should I care about using the nvidia card.

I use a GT610 in my machine at work with nouveau and never notice any power management issues.

Would a GT610 or the like suit your needs?

Learn English before you post on Sup Forums again

did you build from source (mpv, libass, or both) or did you get them from your package manager?

If you built mpv from source but not libass, that is likely the problem. mpv is looking from something that libass doesn't provide.

ooooor did you even google it?
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=842522

>all these autists suffering on nouveau
Most of you deserve it tb h. If any of you genuinely don't know about the official drivers being better then you should switch. The rest of you idiots can continue with your pointless exercise in masochism.

>screen
>not tmux
what a fuckin loser

still waiting for nvidia to work out how to implement well documented kernel interfaces that will enable wayland without shims out the wazoo.

anyone using connman+iwd instead of networkmanager+wpa.supplicant?

When going from Debian Stretch to Unstable, is it recommended to do
>change sources to Testing > upgrade > change sources to Unstable > upgrade
rather than
>change sources to Unstable > upgrade (skipping Testing)

As a general rule:
-If you have a lot of packages and the stable was released a long time ago then go testing then sid.
-if your system is relatively minimal or stable was released just recently then I think you can go straight to sid.

>move luks-encrypted drive from PC 1 to other computer (PC 2)
>other computer fails to boot from it
>black screen when forcing its selection
Secureboot is off in PC 2.
Legacy-boot-only option in BIOS yields nothing, there's no UEFI on the disk (UEFI boot mode fails).

Any ideas?

>there's no UEFI on the disk
double check this. Just because uefi boot fails doesn't mean there isn't uefi information on the disk.

otherwise make a new luks disk, partclone the old partition and manually add your key to luks?

Do you know any open source dashboard / wiki that allows to attach info from rss feed and nagios plugins? I wanted to have centralized place withi news, wiki links and server status.

>ywn be a debian lesbian
quick someone pat my head i cant handle this

How can I get webm thumbnails on Thunar? I'm running vanilla Xubuntu

by not being a degenerate weeb

But user she's pure

>obligatory font pasta
github.com/bohoomil/fontconfig-ultimate/issues/191#issuecomment-289799221

Could someone please tell me how to read sms with socat / AT serial commands from a modem.

just wpa_cli

>tumbler: for thumbnail previews

yes

>just wpa_cli
You're still using wpa_supplicant, you fucking pretentious idiot. Your retarded brain didn't bother looking up actual technicalities, to gain actual knowledge. You just had to show everyone how "cool" you are by using something CLI related.
The person was asking about experiences using Intel's wireless daemon compared to wpa_supplicant which is currently the mainstream way to control wireless connections.

Disconnect yourself from the internet and spare everyone your retardation.

Thanks. Found tumbler-plugins-extra and worked instantly after that.

you assume a lot and project even more
just curious what's your distro

oh and btw you still need wpa_supplicant for wifi devices with connman
>Your retarded brain didn't bother looking up actual technicalities, to gain actual knowledge.
:^)

funny isn't it

Nothing is being assumed, idiot. Everything is written out in those 2 posts above.

>just wpa_cli
He isn't using "just" wpa_cli. He is using wpa_supplicant, the same one mentioned in the legitimate question he responded to.
Everything I've written is true about that type of people who post obnoxious things like that.

You don't need wpa_supplicant if you're using Intel's wireless daemon, idiot. You don't need two of the same. Read the initial question the person posted, idiot. Stop posting even more idiotic things while trying to save grace on an anonymous image based internet forum, retard.

There is nothing funny about your retardation.

>Devuan
>systemd
Been a Devuan user here for while. While it's a great lightweight distro that just werks, is FSF approved and is mostly free from Lennart Harrypottering except for PulseAudio - packagers constantly modify the packages on Devuan repository to remove systemd dependecy - I'm afraid it will be short lived for one simple reason.

It's only selling point is that it's Debian (which has newer packages and much more manpower) without systemd, which can be achieved by removing systemd on a Debian installation and replacing with [insert your favorite init, or no init]. If, and when, the whole systemd controversy cools off...

>if systemd fails in completely dominating the linux environment, then Devuan will have lost its reason to exist
>if systemd succeeds in completely dominating the linux environment, it'll be one small distro fighting off every other out there, and Devuan will have lost its will to exist

From a marketing standpoint, you can get your product to be well known by saying "it's like [other product], but better!" when it's new and there is hype, but given enough time customers will want you to show other aspects that you are better without using [other product] as a comparison. They could simply ditch Debian completely and become an independent distro with its own set of advantages *and* no systemd; personally I would love to see how that develops.

off: i realised "systemd" can sound like "blacked"

>It's only selling point is that it's Debian (which has newer packages and much more manpower) without systemd, which can be achieved by removing systemd on a Debian installation and replacing with [insert your favorite init, or no init].

Except no. Systemd is not just an init system (this is it's biggest problem) so even if you replace systemd as init in debian to something else other parts of memed will still be there and still required by other components. This is why devuan was made, to remove systemd for good.

>He isn't using "just" wpa_cli. He is using wpa_supplicant
it's provided with it

>Nothing is being assumed, idiot. Everything is written out in those 2 posts above.
that's for other's to decide

packages.ubuntu.com/artful/connman
not quite sure what you're about from all the foam coming out of your mouth

>There is nothing funny about your retardation.
i agree your post are in the least funny

It's true, Linux is soon to be GNU+Systemd+Linux. Perhaps I should have worded it better but it is not my intention to start Init Wars(TM) on this thread.

Thank dog we have GuixSD with GNU shepherd, GNU/Hurd and BSD people who simply dismiss memed altogether.

>not quite sure what you're about
It's about him (possibly you) being a retarded idiot who has to brag about his l33t CLI skills at every occasion while spouting retarded and wrong information.

Why did you link the Ubuntu package? How is Ubuntu's package related to this?

Read this, retard, and then see what those 2 things you're talking about actually do and how they're tied in together.
git.kernel.org/pub/scm/network/wireless/iwd.git/tree/README
01.org/connman
w1.fi/wpa_supplicant/

>Why did you link the Ubuntu package?
there is probably a reason, think, try hard

No one mentioned Ubuntu. Just because Ubuntu's package lists one as an optional dependency (possibly compiled with support), doesn't mean anything.

The initial discussion was about Iwd, wpa_supplicant, Connman and Network Manager. Your retardation and Ubuntu package is unrelated to this. Stop posting. You represent the averagely retarded poster that posts in these threads and spreads his "knowledge". Consider suicide.

no u, user. you
your posts are cancer

>makes retarded claims
>gets proven wrong
>doesn't know what to say

Why are you still posting?

>makes retarded claims
what claims?
>gets proven wrong
about what?
>doesn't know what to say
it's hard to quarrel with mental illness and honestly pointless

Why are (You) still posting?

>what claims?
This claim about needing wpa_supplicant with Connman. You don't need it, you fucking retard. Read this:
01.org/connman/blogs/pflykt/2017/connman-1.34
>support for IWD WiFi plugin

>about what?
About that above, you fucking idiot.

>it's hard to quarrel with mental illness and honestly pointless
Nice ad-hominem again, you idiot. I am presenting facts while you're the one with a mental illness (retardation) who is just resorting to ad-hominems.

I am still posting to point out your idiocy, retard.

Did you try Puppy Linux or Damn Small Linux?

i know that page
i also know it says
>initial support for IWD WiFi daemon
you're honestly the worst person i've ever met on Sup Forums
considering your posts i think you should be proud that you've achieved something

Debian with xfce/lxde/mate/simple wm
-simple DE/wm is memory and GPU friendly
-kernel in debian stable should handle your hardware just fine
-debian quality

>SystemD tho
Does Devuan at least support Mate or XFCE? I mean, call it a personal hassle, but I've held hatred for SystemD ever since I started into Linux.

>i know that page
So you're aware about what Connman and Network Manager are, what wpa_supplicant and Iwd are, yet you decide to be retarded and make retarded claims about them? Amazing logic, retard. Truly the best poster on Sup Forums.

Yes, xfce is the "default" DE of devuan and it has mate too. I use it with mate in a VM.

Ah, thanks for the input. Now just a final question since I've actually dropped windows and can't use Pen Drive Linux, would extracting the iso image (providing there is one) and giving it a flash based home with UnetBootin be enough to boot right off from Legacy settings or would I have to finagle another installer in there or a boot manager like Lilo or Grub?

I meant bootloader fuck

Does anyone know of a good project management tool that works on Linux?
Something local where you can easily create a project overview like a Gantt chart, and then turn this into a kanbann board?
I can create the Gantt chart with Ganttproject but it is pretty useless from there.
Someone in my team suggested taiga.io but it looks like cancer + it is a website so it is going to be annoying to use.
This is a tool I want to spend as little time with as possible, so it has to be good.
Bloat featurewise is a good thing in this case.

Just dd the iso to your pendrive. Easiest and fastest. If you need to use windows/NT to make the install USB use win32diskimager

>you decide to be retarded and make retarded claims about them
what claims? your rich assumptions?

dd. Got it. New at the Linux terminal for data movement myself since I've been so used to GUI based file management, but I'll see if I cannot get a wee idea from the internet on how to achieve what you just told me.
Danke my friend.

Install Gentoo

>playing(4k,hvec x265?
I don't know about that but I'm generally happy with xf86 driver. 3D works alright and amdgpu seems even better than catalyst. So apart from a non free bit in xf86 it's bretty gud. I know only the old free driver that's why I write about it but you'll be using the new one so it should be great imho. Oh just remembered - can play x264 Video: h264 (High) with hardware decoding on a 15 year old laptop with xf86 :D

thankyou desu is this vn any good i have it downloaded but havent started it yet, i just wanted to pretec the scarred lolis

>Gentoo leader is a Macfag
>feels guilty and steps down forever

Based Robbins

I was hoping for something a but more powerful for 4k pre-rendering and hardware x265 decoding.

I was reading the rochkind book on unix programming first edition and it says that the sysV message system with msgget, msgsend etc is highly unportable, since the book is older than linux, is portable today between various linux distros since it's related to the kernel?