Alternatives to gmail

Hey Sup Forums

I was just wondering, which email service is the best in terms of privacy and is not under control of invasive and corrupt corporations. Non kosher versions are most welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

posteo.de/en/site/payment
mailinabox.email/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Host your own

this
also put your server behind proxy and shit or it gonna be exploit by botnet

have you considered cock.li my man
or consider getting an email address at popular subdomain loves.dicksinhisan.us

cock.li (get an airmail.cc for serious stuff)
protonmail.com
selfhosted (on a cheap 10$/year vps), although vps are a nightmare for privacy

What kind of moron would make a communism logo for a company that tries to literally turn everything you do and say into a sales pitch?

>I was just wondering, which email service is the best in terms of privacy and is not under control of invasive and corrupt corporations. Non kosher versions are most welcome.
use gmail

the problem you are going to have is when it comes to features and reliability, nothing compares to gmail. You will be sacrificing a lot moving to a "more private" platform.

The way you defeat consumerism is with more consumerism

Exactly what "features" do you need in an email service?

reliability
storage
attachment handling(size, file types etc)
spam filtering
filters/rules
mobile clients
imap/pop3
integrated PIM services...calendar, contacts etc
There is no service that does these things as well as gmail does

fpbp; Sup Forums doesn't dissapoint

Kolab

openmailbox if you want something free and easy. Browser based email, based in France, claim that they don't share your info and are privacy focused. But
>private company
>not FLOSS
Use at own risk. But not gmail, it's alright

Sup Forums.

>reliability
My dad set up our own email with some random hosting company and I never bothered to switch away because it just werks, and I use it pretty often for personal stuff. Never had problems with reliability, except like once (in like 10 years of use) they were "down for maintenance" for a day. Gmail wouldn't have had even that, yes, but it's an extremely minor complaint.
>storage
Why the fuck wouldn't you store your emails locally lol?
>attachment handling (size)
I've never had problems but that's because I usually send files through other means. So you're quite possibly correct.
>attachment handling (file type)
What the fuck does file type have to do with email? If for some unfathomable reasons there's a problem just archive it
>spam filtering
The only actually valid point. Google's botnet is probably better than anything else.
>filters/rules
Literally depends on your client. Thinderbird handles this pretty well.
>mobile clients
Again, what does this have to do with your provider? I have a couple of gmail accounts and K-9 Mail handles them in exactly the same way as all my other accounts.
>integrated PIM services
That's not email. I guess some people might find it useful though.

what proxy is good for win 2003 server? mullvad dropped compatibility and the proxy client isnt connecting anymore. I tried openproxy but it gives error when trying to connect to a profile file

im sorry I meant openvn

Sup Forums
AKA things I don't like are commie tranny SJW hillshills.

posteo.net

Maybe Sup Forums doesn't, but anyone trying to host their own email server would.

How do I do that? I don't have a server.

>pay anonymously by bank transfer or paypal

Get an account with a small mom and pop web host. Bring your own domain. Unfortunately mine got bought out by a bigger player, but I own the domain so I can change providers any time I like.

It won't give significantly more privacy, but you get the benefit of federation, and you aren't subsidising any greasy silicon valley cum stain's tickets to Burning Man. Pic not related.

> Why the fuck wouldn't you store your emails locally lol?
Not him, but I like to be able to continue work from my phone.

posteo.de/en/site/payment

Rent a server from Digital Ocean, Linode, AWS, OVH or any other provider.
Buy a domain name from Namecheap, GoDaddy, name.com or any other registrar.
Use mailinabox.email/ to host email on that server.

Typical cost:
Server: $5/mo
Domain: $12/yr

fastmail.com

Could I just use a vm to host my own email server?

> rent a server from 3rd party
> privacy

Hosting from home is a bad idea.
If you have your have a dedi in a data center a vm on that will work fine.

I'd figure I'd add this since I been mulling it over. Hotmail = hot male. Was this intentional? I've had a hotmail account as my main since the mid-90s and I just now realized it.

And do you need more than ~100 emails to continue work? I've never heard of an email provides who didn't give at least a couple MB of storage, which would be more than enough to sync your recent history.

Why are they a nightmare for privacy? Because everything can be linked back to the VPS (you)?

Anyone who knows literally anything about communism knows that the fastest avenue to communism is out of control consumerism and crony capitalism. I hope you’re not always this stupid

Yahoo. It's one of the few e-mail providers and search engines out there not pushing this net neutrality bullshit.

that's surprising considering they're pushing every other liberal agenda

>cock.li (get an airmail.cc for serious stuff)
>protonmail.com
i use both of these

>they're pushing every other liberal agenda
So is Google though.

Because the VPS provider/operator can easily see literally everything you're doing if they want, and there's no way to stop that unless you buy a physical server - and even then it's possible it could be bugged, although it would be much harder.

Posteo: €1/mo, done

Gmail doesn't have POP3 though