How do you feel about the brave new world of javascript applications on the desktop?

How do you feel about the brave new world of javascript applications on the desktop?

This is hyper, a node.js based terminal emulator wrapped in a full chromium web browser instance.
It has a base install size of 139 MB and has worse performance than xterm, the famously bloated and slow terminal emulator packaged with the X11 software distribution.

Other urls found in this thread:

st.suckless.org
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I wish I could hate on it but JavaScript has me spoiled. I write all my convenience applications in it.

>How do you feel about the brave new world of javascript applications on the desktop?
The only one I willingly use is VS Code and that's because somehow nobody else has captured such an easy to use interface with extensions in the same way.

It makes me want to commit genocide on an unprecedented scale. I hate web applications and now they are invading everything.

Actually, I take that back.
VS Code is written in TypeScript, which is actually an acceptable form of javascript for this kind of thing.

>wrapped in a full chromium web browser instance.

WAT

Boy I cannot wait for ls needing its own chromium instance.

It's awful, and made even more awful by the fact that it packages it's own chrome instance, instead of using a shared one.

the logical consequences of how everyone chose BSD and later Linux

Ever heard of electron, the shit fest that brings all the cancerous "apps" to the desktop? Its pretty much chromium for every single program. One of the reasons I refuse to use discord by the way

You've never used sublime have you ?

>Hyper
>open web browser to open terminal

>Atom
>open web browser to edit text files

>Spotify Desktop (D E S K T O P)
>open web browser to listen to music (so you don't have to open web browser to listen to music)

>Min browser
>open web browser to open web browser

when will this insanity end

Sublime is comfy af but VS Code has it beat in a good few areas unfortunately

what areas exactly, except for amount of memory in use?

>min browser
Didn't even know this is a thing

pls respond, i'm genuinely curious

I fell for the 64G ram meme so this is not a problem.

try running yes

He hasn't even used sublime so he doesn't want to argue with you. Probably a M$ shill

>xterm, the famously bloated and slow terminal emulator
Someone explains this meme to me.

use it in the browser if you just have chat in text with someone over discord
some recent update to discord made the chrome renderer process spin at 100% for unknown reasons
and of course you can't roll back versions; it forces you to use the latest one

and as I was just testing the 0.0.3 ver to see if that bug is still there I also noticed that right clicking the systray icon and quitting just restarts the '''app'''. you'll have to kill -9 the process

discord is pretty shit

I dunno about slow but xterm emulates a shitload of terminals you'll never ever need or even see (other than perhaps in a museum). lots of code for what should really be a simple program

also

>Discord
>open web browser to use voice chat, because TeamSpeak is so 2010

>Slack
>open web browser to use IRC because inserting gifs and emojis in conversation is a must-have feature in professional communication tool

What is this nerd shit?
This is a normie board, we don't allow such things, they scare the stacies

>tried an htop clone made in is
>it has the highest CPU usage whenever I open it so it is useless

This needs to stop. We got faster machines and larger ram. We can't be wasting it all in runtimes. Imagine how flying fuck fast would your terminal be if is was written in a compiled language.

>Someone explains this meme to me.
st.suckless.org

why
why people do this

If you want to develop applications for desktop rapidly it's better to use proper scripting language like Python or Perl. It wont deliver performance of C++ but its better thaan JS at least.

Breaks with yes

>terminal emulator wrapped in a full chromium web browser instance
Jesus FUCKING christ, how horrible.

>and has worse performance than xterm
The fuck are you talking about?
xterm is pretty light and fast for me.

try comparing it's performance to any VTE-based terminal, it's slow as shit

so what non js, cross platform, gui framework are there?

>Qt
>JavaFx

no, thanks

Making shit in Qt is easy as fuck, even if you're not a C++ expert. Besides it has ports to every major language.

there's literally nothing wrong with qt

Tk.

Qt is kind of shit though.

Python is slower than JS.

gtop, right? Yeah, looks pretty, but useless.

The devs of xterm themselves even admitted in the readme that it's total shit. Here's an excerpt.
Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enter Here

This is undoubtedly the most ugly program in the distribution. It was one of
the first "serious" programs ported, and still has a lot of historical baggage.
Ideally, there would be a general tty widget and then vt102 and tek4014
subwidgets so that they could be used in other programs. We are trying to
clean things up as we go, but there is still a lot of work to do.